Microsoft: Xbox One Monthly Updates Will Keep on Coming

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you approve of the job Microsoft is doing updating the Xbox One with improvements, you are going to really like what Microsoft has decided to do: you can look for regular monthly updates for the foreseeable future.

Microsoft's monthly updates are one area in which the company is far ahead of its PS4 rival, which has so far seen fewer, less regular and less substantial updates since it launched around the same time as the Xbox One last year.

In before fanboy war.

I do kind of like this new way of updating. With the 360 it seemed like only every 6 months or so would you get some new feature.

In before fanboy war.

I do kind of like this new way of updating. With the 360 it seemed like only every 6 months or so would you get some new feature.

Agreed. In time they will probably drop back but for now they are listening to feedback and rolling out a few new features at a time to get people what they want. Does seem that the larger updates come every few months with smaller updates every month, but still is a nice way to do it. don't recall how often the 360 updated at first, only updates I really recall are the major ones ever few years that redid the entire layout, do think they had updates every 3 months but that 3 of the 4 were very minor updates.

Microsoft's monthly updates are one area in which the company is far ahead of its PS4 rival, which has so far seen fewer, less regular and less substantial updates since it launched around the same time as the Xbox One last year.

This statement is kind of silly when factoring the Xbox One launched relatively feature incomplete compared to the PS4 featureset and thus had so many things to catch up on. Many of the updates so far have been merely re-introducing features the 360 already had. It didn't even support things like auto-signin and external storage until a couple months ago.

^ This.

I, too, thought the statement was a bit asinine. MS is doing patches because the Xbox One has problems, or limited features. Sony, on the other hand, delivered a much better feature set and have had less to actually patch.

What's next? Declaring GM the king of car makers because they've had more recalls?

recalls are very different from software updates.

Any software updates and improvements are welcome.

This statement is kind of silly when factoring the Xbox One launched relatively feature incomplete compared to the PS4 featureset and thus had so many things to catch up on. Many of the updates so far have been merely re-introducing features the 360 already had. It didn't even support things like auto-signin and external storage until a couple months ago.

it signed you in when the Kinect noticed you were in front of it, so while it might not have automatically signed in a certain user if you had the connect installed (which is what they expected) then that wasn't an issue. I personally never had an issue with being signed in as I was always in front of my system then I turned it on. However I could see where not having the Kinect installed would be a hassle then for sign in.

Both system had things they had to get caught up on. PS 4 is adding things that the Xbox one had / has and Xbox is adding things the PS4 has / had. The Xbox one was a tad slow in adding twitch support, but that I would believe is more the fault of twitch programming their app than Microsoft. External hard drive support and controller battery level are the only other things I can really think about, neither of which prevents you from playing games or using the system. PS4 had the feature of being able to play audio through the head set instead of through the tv which Microsoft copied when you are using a 3rd party headset. Not having that feature at day one isn't feature incomplete though. If that was the case then the PS4 is feature incomplete for not having the ability to pass HDMI through the system, not having the ability to control the system with voice commands or hand gestures, for not supporting more than 4 controllers locally, for not controlling a set top box. Which PS4 did add in the ability to do some basic voice commands since the Xbox One allows it. PS4 also took a long time for people to be able to pass their HDMI video through a external recording device, a feature promised right at launch but that didn't actually get released till sometime this year after they kept moving it back. So neither side was / is perfect.

Yes some things were removed between Xbox 360 and One. And they have been tweaking the interface to make it better based on user feedback.

What's next? Declaring GM the king of car makers because they've had more recalls?

Maybe not the king of car makers, but definitely the most concerned about customer safety. After all, more recalls = more safe! :p

Yes some things were removed between Xbox 360 and One. And they have been tweaking the interface to make it better based on user feedback.

My problem is, I have both systems hooked up to a 73" TV and cannot tell much of a difference. The 360 loads games off the hard drive faster from what I am noticing. Yes connect is 1080p, I am not using it much though.

(XBOX One) And in the last 2 weeks, I have had to unplug the power brick for a reset because of blinking screen/signal loss, Locking up on my Amazon Video and Vudu, and a hard lock in Forza 5 and Spiderman 2. All the while its in an open air, 68-70 degree room and well dusted I might add. Oh and the final straw breaking point for me was this Joke of Killer Instinct being an Exclusive with only 6 characters at full launch, now almost year later we have 8?? That game was my main point to buy this system. Still haven't gotten my favorite character I bought for which is Maya. No, I will trade it in and wait till next years MK.

And to top it off, my friend was talking to me about this also happening when his kids were playing, all the same problems.

Listen, him and I are in our late 30's we don't care about fanboy shit. Its about what works and what is advertised. Xbox 1 to me is false advertisement for a "next gen" system. We grew up when you came from NES to SNES/Genesis to the N64 /Saturn it was a real upgrade. 8bit, 16bit, 32 bit, and 64bit. You could tell the difference and it was significant. They went cheap on hardware, instead of losing money on a new console like they all do because of more expensive, advanced hardware and it is showing big time. Quote me on this: Xbox One will be one of the most traded in systems Gamestop will ever have. That's where we are headed with ours in the fall toward a PS4.

All the fanboys can kiss off. Been doing this gaming since Odyssey, intellivision, ColecoVision, and Atari before the it was name 2600. This is worse system I have ever downgraded to. Hell a TurboGrafx 16 was more fun. :mad: :grumpyOldManRant:

this thread took a shit fast, I see one guy talking out his ads about features ps4 and Xbox one both were feature short compared to their predecessors. One has improved in this more than the other and it isn't ps4 (that stability)

And we have another guy with a clear case of needing to exchange his Xbox one or get some support help since your having issues that just aren't happening regularly to the rest.

This shit is laughable really pathetic.

And if Yu can't tell the difference between the 360 and Xbox one graphically get some glasses your blind.

Monthly updates is good PR, creatures the illusion of more progress which people eat up. I'd be happy if sony doesn't brick a ps4 with every other update like they did with ps3, look it up it was a little less than every other update you caused a small chance of bricking your ps3 just due to the update.

I'm glad that Sony doesn't update the PS3 as much as XBox. It takes forever compared to the Microsoft download./update.

Reminds me of hose Apple sells "features" to its users that have long been standard, logical implementations for users long before Apple denied its users of said features... then re-introduced them as the next big thing. HA! Take this post and smoke it fan boys of all brands! :p

Microsoft has done an amazing job and (I hope) Sony just continues the trend they did with PS3. Push out large updates at the same time, they apparently got tired of getting slammed and released the B3D playback feature to save face but still got slammed. It's sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't type thing.

However one thing Sony has not lived up to was Suspend/Resume and Sharing. The console is supposed to record the past 15 minutes regardless of what you do ingame. Right now I don't think that's the case. The feature is broken and while there are workarounds there shouldn't have to be when you took the time to put a main feature on the controller.

I believe MS is trying to build on solid momemtum after such a disastrous start to their message/brand. Sony has some leeway with that, Microsoft certainly didn't/doesn't.

If next-jin and neogaf are praising the updates then all other fanboy criticisms are dead in the water. The updates are great and the previews are a great way for users to give feedback to the devs. I hope Sony has their updates ready for the end of the year for sharing and suspend/resume.

If next-jin and neogaf are praising the updates then all other fanboy criticisms are dead in the water. The updates are great and the previews are a great way for users to give feedback to the devs. I hope Sony has their updates ready for the end of the year for sharing and suspend/resume.

Why would I not praise them? It's not the Wii U, I have an Xbox One :p

My problem is, I have both systems hooked up to a 73" TV and cannot tell much of a difference. The 360 loads games off the hard drive faster from what I am noticing. Yes connect is 1080p, I am not using it much though.

(XBOX One) And in the last 2 weeks, I have had to unplug the power brick for a reset because of blinking screen/signal loss, Locking up on my Amazon Video and Vudu, and a hard lock in Forza 5 and Spiderman 2. All the while its in an open air, 68-70 degree room and well dusted I might add. Oh and the final straw breaking point for me was this Joke of Killer Instinct being an Exclusive with only 6 characters at full launch, now almost year later we have 8?? That game was my main point to buy this system. Still haven't gotten my favorite character I bought for which is Maya. No, I will trade it in and wait till next years MK.

And to top it off, my friend was talking to me about this also happening when his kids were playing, all the same problems.

Listen, him and I are in our late 30's we don't care about fanboy shit. Its about what works and what is advertised. Xbox 1 to me is false advertisement for a "next gen" system. We grew up when you came from NES to SNES/Genesis to the N64 /Saturn it was a real upgrade. 8bit, 16bit, 32 bit, and 64bit. You could tell the difference and it was significant. They went cheap on hardware, instead of losing money on a new console like they all do because of more expensive, advanced hardware and it is showing big time. Quote me on this: Xbox One will be one of the most traded in systems Gamestop will ever have. That's where we are headed with ours in the fall toward a PS4.

All the fanboys can kiss off. Been doing this gaming since Odyssey, intellivision, ColecoVision, and Atari before the it was name 2600. This is worse system I have ever downgraded to. Hell a TurboGrafx 16 was more fun. :mad: :grumpyOldManRant:

I also am in my mid 30s and am not trying to make any fan boy comments. Like with OSs I don't care what people use. As long as the OS that you use meets your needs then great. Same for consoles, at the end of the day both PlayStation and Xbox lets you play games, lets you watch movies and have their own style to how the system does thing. And that is actually what my post was trying to point out, both do things differently and the other not being a clone doesn't make it lacking in features, and both have their issues and things they are adding.

That said if you didn't notice anything different I am not sure what to tell you. Graphics look better, while they look about the same I actually find the xbox one controller to be more comfortable. That all said, for the last few generations the transition period hasn't been as much of a huge jump. People learn how to get every last bit of performance out of the old system and are still trying to learn the new one so for that first year there isn't that huge leap, but after a year or two things do start to improve more and more. That happen with PS1 to PS2, PS2 to PS2, Gamecube to Wii, Xbox to 360. And the same is happening with this generation.

Back