Microsoft Working On Surface All-In-One PC For Living Rooms

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The company is expanding the Surface brand beyond the hybrid tablet with an AIO destined for the living room. Details are light thus far, but I would imagine it to be a much larger and more powerful Surface that, while not exactly portable, would be easy enough to carry from room to room.

…the timeframe for a Surface AIO will partially depend on availability for Intel's new Kaby Lake 14 nanometer processor, the successor to Skylake. We can also add to the original report that the company is positioning the Surface AIO for the living room. The device is evidently targeting a "modern and elegant" design and is meant to be something akin to a premium appliance or furniture. Unfortunately, any details about specifications and the Surface AIO design are not known at this time. Our last report claimed that Microsoft is aiming for an early 2017 launch of new Surface tablets, and a planned "Surface phone", all linked to Windows 10 Redstone 2 general availability. Bringing the Surface AIO into that launch window would seem to make sense.

I've had access to the original Microsoft Surface (a tabletop computer, touch screen, pretty rugger). It was actually kind of cool - but I think it was also about $20000 and never saw much use in the US. Supposedly, these were more common in Europe - museums, libraries, and the like used these. I found one in a bar in New York City once - it was turned off, a woman (kind of hot - my memory doesn't forget things like these :) ) had he feet on it as a foot rest.
They came out with a new version of the Surface (still a table top) - think they changed the name to Pixel Sense. Once again, MSFT took that name and used it elsewhere. The new version was not as rugged, but I think might have been $15000.
I have a family - I was thinking how cool would it be to have this in the family room. Board games? Never have to worry about losing pieces. Old arcade games? Awesome. They'd need to get the price WAY down. Not sure what I'd be willing to pay - would need to be $1500 or less. I've got so many other things that need my wallet, this would not be a top ten purchase in my house.

I've had access to the original Microsoft Surface (a tabletop computer, touch screen, pretty rugger). It was actually kind of cool - but I think it was also about $20000 and never saw much use in the US.

News outfits, like CNN, liked to show them off. Like an interactive chalk board.

oh i can't wait to pay 6,000$ for a device thats got a Dual Core i7 and the "Surface" logo on it! yay appl... errr Microsoft!

Back