Microsoft Working On New Design Language For Windows 10 Codenamed Project Neon

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In what is being dubbed by some as “Metro 2.0,” Microsoft is working on a new design language that will reportedly turn Windows 10’s currently static UI into something much more lively. There are also reports that suggest this to be an effort toward bridging the desktop environment with holographic and augmented reality.

…Project NEON has been in the works for over a year internally at Microsoft. It builds upon the design language introduced with Windows 10, with its simple and clean interfaces, but adds some much-needed flair to the UI that the current design language just lacks. Details are still scarce, but we hear some of the new designs in the plans include adding more animations and transitions, with the overall goal of making the UI very fluid and "beautiful" compared to the current, almost static UI that is MDL2. One source familiar with Microsoft's plans described NEON as "Very fluid, lots of motion and nice transitions." Other things we've heard include app-elements being able to "escape" the borders of a window making for a much more unique experience.

ive had to shift from win7 to win10 due to work. i have to agree with him

So you think Windows 10 is worse than vista?... That's a first.

I was one of the few people who actually supported Vista. It brought security up to the level of other desktop operating systems by introducing a proper privilege escalation system and other security features. The Aero Glass GUI looked and worked great. All Vista-Ready hardware and onward had to include 64-bit drivers and Windows Vista introduced prefetching of commonly used applications to RAM, making all that extra RAM and those Athlon 64 processors we were buying for games even more useful. Vista Media Center was a tremendous improvement over XP Media Center and remained essentially unchanged until they killed it off in Windows 10. Vista also included various useful things: DVD playback was integrated. The old craptastic NT audio stack was fixed. The photo viewer was great (and included a decent editor), as were the DVD and Video maker utilities. The Start menu was more customizable than any version prior or since.

Beyond that, performance was great on new hardware. I actually did a performance write up comparing 64-bit XP, Vista, and 7 back during the 7 beta if anyone wants to search my threads for it. The pics are probably all gone though. If you were running on supported hardware you basically got 7 two years early.

I guess Windows 10 is cool if you like using a schizophrenic UI, losing features, and paying for an OS with ads... I used to be a huge Windows fan, but this past year as it's become more and more obvious that Microsoft isn't going to fix anything I've been moving my machines to Linux Mint. If you had told me I'd be doing this a few years ago I would have laughed at you. It used to be you always still kinda needed a Windows machine around. Now even my favorite games are Linux native (Kerbal Space Program, Civ V, Cities: Skylines, and Europa Universalis IV). I still have Windows 7 on my signature rig for streaming old games to the rest of the PCs, but thats the only Windows box left. My GF's desktop, kid's desktop, HTPC, and my laptop all run Mint now.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
like this
I was one of the few people who actually supported Vista. It brought security up to the level of other desktop operating systems by introducing a proper privilege escalation system and other security features. The Aero Glass GUI looked and worked great. All Vista-Ready hardware and onward had to include 64-bit drivers and Windows Vista introduced prefetching of commonly used applications to RAM, making all that extra RAM and those Athlon 64 processors we were buying for games even more useful. Vista Media Center was a tremendous improvement over XP Media Center and remained essentially unchanged until they killed it off in Windows 10. Vista also included various useful things: DVD playback was integrated. The old craptastic NT audio stack was fixed. The photo viewer was great (and included a decent editor), as were the DVD and Video maker utilities. The Start menu was more customizable than any version prior or since.

Beyond that, performance was great on new hardware. I actually did a performance write up comparing 64-bit XP, Vista, and 7 back during the 7 beta if anyone wants to search my threads for it. The pics are probably all gone though. If you were running on supported hardware you basically got 7 two years early.

I guess Windows 10 is cool if you like using a schizophrenic UI, losing features, and paying for an OS with ads... I used to be a huge Windows fan, but this past year as it's become more and more obvious that Microsoft isn't going to fix anything I've been moving my machines to Linux Mint. If you had told me I'd be doing this a few years ago I would have laughed at you. It used to be you always still kinda needed a Windows machine around. Now even my favorite games are Linux native (Kerbal Space Program, Civ V, Cities: Skylines, and Europa Universalis IV). I still have Windows 7 on my signature rig for streaming old games to the rest of the PCs, but thats the only Windows box left. My GF's desktop, kid's desktop, HTPC, and my laptop all run Mint now.

Yeah, I've been doing the same thing. My main desktop and my laptop both dual boot Windows and Mint Linux. Windows is only used for gaming now (only ~1/3 of my steam games work on Linux). I've got a couple machines setup as DVRs that will stay Windows 7 since the video driver under Windows 10 can't seem to do proper deinterlacing.

The problem with Vista was the horrible launch. Not everyone has high end systems and Vista by default had tons of services running, which simply weren't needed by the average user. They fixed that with the first Service Pack, but the damage was already done. It was a good OS, but think MS had to get rid of it, due to it's bad rep.

guess Windows 10 is cool if you like using a schizophrenic UI, losing features, and paying for an OS with ads

Why I got off of it. It was bad enough that I had to relearn where things were laid out in the UI for Win 8/8.1, but it's like they decided to change things again with 10. Not to make things better, cause it really didn't. It was like they were aiming to make it as confusing as possible. They're starting to deploy it at work and I hate it. Give me 8.1 any day over 10.

if they try to reintroduce metro, i'll sell my computer and buy a mac.

You already have Metro. It's called your Start Menu. Win 8 / 8.1 Metro was the tiled interface full screen, then the program icons full screen. They simply took those two things and jammed it into a small window. Then they called it a Start Menu. Then everyone gave it praise. Obviously, by users who never actually used Win 8 /8.1 for a substantial amount of time.

That's one of the reasons I got off 10 and went back to 8.1. It feels like a half assed 8.1, that doesn't know what direction it wants to go in.

I used to be excited about new windows releases and always trying the betas etc... Vista was actually a Great OS that was ahead of the hardware capabilities of most people who were upgrading with ancient athlons and Pentium 4's. It had more and better features than 7. 7 is just a stripped down Vista SP1. Those are two great OS that cater to the needs and preferences of the user.
In contrast 10 is concocted by a group of Fascists who demand that you like what they like. You want a useful start menu? NO! You get a passive aggressive start menu that makes you look for shit with its Borg like apps or its useless list of too big and spaced out font.
I find myself using Cortana just to find shit that used to be logically arranged and discoverable in windows 7.
It used to be "My Computer" But now the fascists want to make me feel like I am privileged to use "This Computer" while sending telemetry on everything I do. I used to mock the Apple fanboys but I'll be damned if that isn't a more humane looking and acting OS compared to the POS 10 that keeps uninstalling my Asus driver and replacing it with some W10 driver that I don't want.
They said this was the last OS and it seems that way to me. I'm done.

I absolutely hated Vista when it first came out. I had really high end hardware for the time and it still took stripping most of my computer apart and 7 or 8 attempts to get it to even install, much less actually run right. Much of that was hardware driver support though.

I think you guys are confusing utilizing all your hardware and running poorly. I have not personally seen a single computer that after installing Vista from XP where it ran like crap afterwards. It ran just as well if not better with Vista, as long as there were drivers to run the OS on the hardware. Only difference was that yes it would max out all memory but only because it actually made use of it by preloading software.

I just want to know when they're going to get back to practical usability instead of trying to "revolutionize" with stupid garbage just because they want something that feels "new".

If I'm sitting on my computer cursing the OS and not being able to find stuff effectively, then they've fucked it up. The OS should just be unobtrusive and let me get to what I want to do quickly, not wowing me with bizarre interfaces and weird garbage. The OS should be as transparent as possible to the overall computing experience. I just need it to run things I want to run without it crashing. The rest is just superfluous.

I'm up to try something new, see if it's better and if it's not go back. Can't make progress by standing still. Maybe I'm not quite as old as some of you yet ;).

if they try to reintroduce metro, i'll sell my computer and buy a mac.

What do you think Metro is? Windows 10's whole design language is Metro.

uh-oh.. and here comes micro-mongoloids with a new software idea, oh gee...

Back