microsoft word help! pretty urgent

midas06

n00b
My mother saved over one of her documents on Word. Is there any way she can recover this file?

Her words: "I'll die if I don't get this back"

Help please, kthx

since she "overwrote it" there are few chances.

try something like getdataback from runtime.org and see if the old version was saved on a different 'physical location' on the HDD.

An unerase program might be able to find a old temporary copy of it in the same directory. Definitely don't want to save anything else to that drive in the meantime. We pre-installed PC Inspector File Recovery on every PC we setup for emergencies like that. Might not be the best program, but it's freeware and it's recovered many a students' work. Can't recall if the files were ~*.doc or *.tmp but we've also searched the user's temporary folder, and checked the location of their autosave folder.

zeplar said:
Can't recall if the files were ~*.doc or *.tmp but we've also searched the user's temporary folder, and checked the location of their autosave folder.

This is correct. The files are named ~*.doc (i.e ~filename.doc). The files are also hidden.

If there are no ~**.doc files around in the same directory as the saved file, she's probably out of luck.

Back