Microsoft Windows 10 October 2018 Update Can Delete Data, Some Users Report

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Deleted member 88301, Oct 4, 2018.

1. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

Already in on the Front page news section.

2. Yeah, just found out. Thanks. I don't think I've ever posted a news item here, first one I do, it's a dupe. Is there any way to make sure that whatever I'm posting is new?

Thanks.

heatlesssun likes this.
  3. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

use the forum search button.

4. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

Don't apologize to the MS hall monitor. He knows the front page thread will fall into page 2 oblivion quickly, whereas in this forum a real discussion can take place.

B00nie, naib, DeathFromBelow and 2 others like this.
  5. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

All I did was let the OP know that there was already a thread about this in the News section which is CUSTOM. Seriously, chillax.

bigdogchris, ManofGod and Void like this.
  6. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

Yet it is on 8 pages and still going strong. :D

7. bigdogchris

bigdogchris Wii was a Novelty

8. naib

naib [H]ard|Gawd

Its blaming how Microsoft makes use of the feedback hub and they are right.
    This is disgusting Q&A .. If MS want to push out testing to the masses then they need to take responsibility for the feedback. I have said this a million times IF Microsoft and the vast majority of desktop software vendors were held against DO-178 , the majority would go out of business and MS would be one of them.

It is quite simple... You have requirements for functionality. You show implementation against requirements. No implementation without validated requirements, no requirements without implementation. Testbench everything, validate testbench requirement coverage. Problem report management

Shit happens thats is why there exists processes in place to follow when shit does. It is clear MS don't do shit. This bug was reported in the insider build but because there was, and I quote
    BULL SHIT!
    bug reports are reviewed and scored... Corruption of the OS, unable to boot, deletion of user files are all up there as critical... it doesn't matter if there was 1 report or 1million, these get looked into IMMEDIATELY and things are postponed until it is disproven or FIXED

you do NOT carry on with your head up your own ass to release it. One side of me is pissing myself laughing at all the fools that <3 MS and all the turds they cut for people to swallow. The otherside has my face in my hands because Windows10 was pushed onto us engineers at work and W10-1607 -> W10-1709 cause a tonne of problems.

That said I got a nice email from central IT that they are now removing windows-10 as default and reverting to windows7 for all new rebuilds or new machines due to all the issues with windows10 . I might request a rebuild to get this god forsaken virus off my work machine...

Mazzspeed likes this.
  9. x509

x509 [H]ard|Gawd

This quote is quite damning:

You see, Microsoft mainly relies on the Windows Insider program for fixing bugs on the Windows software. As Microsoft develops new updates like the October 2018 Update, it rolls out new features over weeks and months, which is then tested by Insiders. Most of the widespread problems with these new features and updates are usually noticed by Windows Insiders and later fixed by Microsoft before a major update is released to the public.

That's a real hit-and-miss way to discover bugs. There is no substitute for in-house, structured Software Quality Assurance test programs. Relying on users to uncover bugs is a disaster that has already happened. Is this someone's bright idea of how to save money? Get rid of all the software testers. Gee, look at all the headcount we can eliminate.

Anyone who (like me) has been involved with software as a business knows that you have to eat your own dogfood, that is, test your software in-house.

So there are many upsides to doing a major update every six months. But I have seen real life client examples of where this approach led to a decline in software quality. Someone decrees a release every six months, and with a certain amount of new features. The features are supposed to be developed AND tested in six months. Only the development takes longer than expected. Always. Does that mean the release is pushed out? What do you think happens? So what happens to the time scheduled for testing? (and sometimes documentation.)

x509

10. PliotronX

PliotronX [H]ard|Gawd

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees "RTW" now as "RTBetaTesters" .. Glad they pulled it and saved some PITA calls I would have been getting, taking time from actual problems..

11. ManofGod

They have released a fix that is being applied to computers that have already been upgraded. I imagine the full 1809 upgrade will be release again in the next few days.

KB4464330 :
    • Addresses an issue where an incorrect timing calculation may prematurely delete user profiles on devices subject to the "Delete user profiles older than a specified number of day” group policy.
    The real question is, outside of domain connected computer or roaming profiles, why would this group policy setting even exist?

12. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Ugh, not a good week/month for Microsoft so far:

October 9, 2018—KB4464330 (OS Build 17763.55) Update is BSOD'ing some boxes
    https://www.neowin.net/news/users-are-reporting-bsods-with-the-with-latest-patch-for-windows-10

13. ManofGod

14. Ryom

Ryom [H]ard|Gawd

They should just move us onto Windows 11 by backporting anything good in Win10 back into to the Win7 code tree and rereleasing it with the new version number. Win for everyone!

Bcc335 likes this.
  15. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

If they could slow the feature update thing down to once a year and spend a lot more time testing and actually looking at the bugs reported, it would become a better product all around. I think that's all anyone wants. New features are great but not if it means breaking shit in an untested rush.

x509 likes this.
  16. PliotronX

PliotronX [H]ard|Gawd

Sounds like a service pack which they swore off but it makes more sense than diminishing an already spotty image.

17. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

Or, bug updates every 6 months and feature updates once a year.

They keep adding new features while trying to complete the OS (let's face it, it was released unfinished). Not enough time seems to be devoted to fixing the issues that already exist.

18. zorobabel

zorobabel Limp Gawd

It seems there still isn't an official media creation tool v1809, right?

19. pendragon1

yup they haven't re-released it yet. there was that app issue that may have delayed it more. although im on 18272 now and haven't had any issues or lost data.

20. Finny76

Finny76 [H]ard|Gawd

So its November now.,.. When is MS releasing Build 1809?

21. ManofGod

Good, not until it is actually ready, this time. I could not care less if they keep the name, just lose the bugs.

22. naib

naib [H]ard|Gawd

They have released it, they just also deactivated those machines

23. pendragon1

keep up, that's been fixed and all you needed was a reboot(in most cases).

24. Finny76

Finny76 [H]ard|Gawd

sorry what i meant is where can we download the1809 .iso

I dont see it anywhere online after MS pulled back the udpate...

25. pendragon1

oh. no its not back up yet. you'd have to grab an iso someone uploaded or join the insider program.

26. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

heatlesssun and Finny76 like this.
  27. zorobabel

zorobabel Limp Gawd

It's available again from M$...

pendragon1 likes this.
  28. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

It's best practice to keep your valuable data in ext or xfs filesystems so Windows cannot destroy it without repartitioning the hard drive.

DeathFromBelow likes this.
  29. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

You just can't help yourself, can you? o_O

pendragon1 and B00nie like this.
  30. Finny76

Finny76 [H]ard|Gawd

MS said that 1809 was Re release on Nov 13, but no option of downloading the .ISO directly only via the Media Creation Tool.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018