Microsoft Will Require Suppliers to Give Workers 15 Days of Paid Leave

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft has dictated to its suppliers that all Orange Badge workers, the contract employees that work for Microsoft’s suppliers, will be given 15 days of paid leave per year. The requirement will affect tens of thousands of contract workers with companies employing 50 or more employees. Apparently the Tin Man got his heart. :D

The paid leave of 15 days will consist of 10 days of paid vacation and five days of paid sick leave, or 15 days of unrestricted paid time off.

In other news, the cost of microsoft products is going up.

Actually, in general the cost of MS software* has been going down.

What is much more likely is the contract agencies will just pay their employees less to balance out the PTO.

Considering we are one of the biggest suppliers to microsoft, this won't particularly effect full time workers since they get 17 days a year, but our temp workers we have working don't get any technically. I'll be sure to check with some people cause I'd love for them to get that .

I think a lot of it comes down to MS realizing that a lot of the contractor/vendor agencies that supply them with contingent staff are horrendous cheapskates that wouldn't give their contractors any benefits at all unless they were forced to. The big problem is that at least in the Seattle market Microsoft's hourly rates for contractors are uncompetitive with what someone can get at a place like Amazon or a smaller company in the area.

Actually, in general the cost of MS software* has been going down.

What is much more likely is the contract agencies will just pay their employees less to balance out the PTO.

That is likely, but that happens in general anyway. Everyone who has vacation and benefits has it weighed against their total billing. For instance, I have numerous relationships with contracting companies and their recruiters. With several of them I have a barebones understanding, just give me the total package number. Then I can negotiate from there. The reality is in many cases, the benefits package the company offers ends up being a very good deal for the employee, because the company negotiated a discounted package in bulk. This is a big reason why Microsoft specified the size of the company. Smaller companies do not have that same leverage. In fact smaller companies are better off just paying a lump sum and giving their employees the option to buy their own benefits and take a certain amount of LWOP per year.

Back