Microsoft Will Give You OneDrive for Business Free

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Microsoft really wants business' to switch to using OneDrive. In a blog post today, Microsoft has announced that if you are currently paying for cloud storage with Box, Dropbox, or Google, you can switch and use OneDrive for Business for free for the remainder of your existing contract. Microsoft also states that customers using this offer can leverage Microsoft FastTrack, a "customer success service" to make the transition to OneDrive and Office 365.

I can't say I've personally used OneDrive, and it's honestly one of the first things I uninstall/disable on a fresh Windows 10 install. In my opinion it will be tough for Microsoft to get people to migrate, but offers like this are a way to get people considering it.

Customers like Accenture, DBS Bank, Textron, and Lowe’s have adopted OneDrive to reduce costs and improve teamwork and mobile productivity, while making it easier to protect and manage company data. Now your organization can switch to OneDrive for free—read on for all the details.

As a private person cloud storage user for music distribution (non-copyrighted content), my biggest quirk with the normal OneDrive client is how it was such a pita to provide a direct download link, that you had to go long trips around it to get it done by modifying manually the link was cubersome. Wonder if it's the same with business version. Otherwise I don't have that much complaints regarding OneDrive but that one is a no-go for me.

But perhaps that has changed, haven't used it in quite a while.

As a private person cloud storage user for music distribution (non-copyrighted content), my biggest quirk with the normal OneDrive client is how it was such a pita to provide a direct download link, that you had to go long trips around it to get it done by modifying manually the link was cubersome. Wonder if it's the same with business version. Otherwise I don't have that much complaints regarding OneDrive but that one is a no-go for me.

I'm eventually going to sign up for a cloud storage of some sort as well (mainly RAW files from photography), and I think I'm gonna go with Backblaze. Price is just amazing.

Unless i'm using it wrong, i don't think it does anonymous links, you have to provide the person's email address which makes hosting files annoying (sometimes).

I have a free 40GB One Drive that I never use due to the clunky nature of the application when I was deciding between other storage providers. I dont know if it has changed at all but it was awful 4 or so years ago when I tried to use it.

They also dont offer a linux client, though alternatives are available.

No thanks. MS will just change the terms of service without notice as soon as they get enough people on it, just like they screwed everyone on OneDrive storage space previously where they promised one capacity, and then reduced it practically to nothing and people got locked out of or lost their files.

Maybe they think people have short memories

As someone who uses OneDrive for business it's hit or miss. If you have lots of average size files, documents, pdfs and what not it's not so bad. Keep it under 20GB and it works OK.

Now if you have 80GB of small itty bitty files (css sheets, txt files, libraries, etc.) then one drive will take DAYS to sync. See one of the fun lil bits about one drive is that it needs to scan your ENTIRE directory to see what changes are made, that's checking every file just in case things changed. It's doing some magic across all those small files which take AGES even on i7 machines with m2 drives. We had a user who had 80k files and 50k directories. Tons of little files because they needed them (don't ask). It took my team and MS a solid week to figure out that whatever sync process onedrive runs it absolutely abhors this <5k files and chokes on them. We removed 40k files and one drive was able to sync in a few hours vs DAYS.

Whatever sync process MS is using for One drive is awful and it needs to be fixed. We did not have this problem with Google Drive , DropBox or Box when sync'n the same data.

I'm eventually going to sign up for a cloud storage of some sort as well (mainly RAW files from photography), and I think I'm gonna go with Backblaze. Price is just amazing.

If all you need is encrypted offsite backups go with backblaze you can provide your own encryption key. Onedrive just plain sucks. If I didnt have backblaze I would either use google drive or aws glacier.

Microsoft really is a nice corp. Giving a way free stuff left and right. I like it.

I can't say I've personally used OneDrive, and it's honestly one of the first things I uninstall/disable on a fresh Windows 10 install. In my opinion it will be tough for Microsoft to get people to migrate, but offers like this are a way to get people considering it.

One drive that comes free with windows, and one drive for business are different product implemented differently.

As for people bitching about speed on one drive for business, it does revision control and calculates diffs of all the files. Which aint super speedy. Don't back up your PC to onedrive fro business.

ftp+free dns =
1gzqyu.jpg

I use onedrive sometimes. When I need to share a file with someone or sometimes a game manual when I play the same game on my desktop and tablet. I can never remember how to get the link address to share but otherwise it's easy to use. I wouldn't trust anything important on the cloud though, I'm just too old fashioned.

Well I figure they've got enough personal information thru 10, why not move onto ways of getting businesses to simply give it. I know that's not the true nature of this service but it was worth a cheap shot.

I trust free stuff from Microsoft as little as I would trust favours in prison or candy from a man in a white van. There isn't anything free in this world.

One drive for business (groove.exe) only, or One Drive Next Gen (onedrive.exe), OneDrive for Buisiness (groove.exe) has been crap lately. supports 2G file size limits and 20k files in the client. Next Gen is alot better.

I trust free stuff from Microsoft as little as I would trust favours in prison or candy from a man in a white van. There isn't anything free in this world.

MS states that they index and search ALL content you upload into onedrive to provide you a better experience......ya okay..

Amazon Prime has unlimited photo storage as part of the package, one of the reasons I use it.

I use onedrive almost daily, the city I am doing work for uses it to share and transfer files. I have really had no problems with it but everything I use it for is rather small scale. I use google drive also and cant say which one is better they both have their +/-'s . Just received a 90 day free Amz Prime so I may give that a go as i am trying it to get the wife and motherinlaw away from cable TV$$$

I had a much bigger investment in onedrive before they cut back all the storage they gave out as part of their endorsement of Windows phone and other stuff. I had like 100Gigs of space, and used about 20 or so, and now I'm limited to 5.....

Sadly I moved on, and migrated all of my stuff to Megadrive....which gives 50gigs for free.

As an home user of office 365 for 10 bucks a month... I use one drive, my wife uses one drive, my kids each use one drive.. and each of us has a individual 1 TB of cloud storage. Speaking for myself I have my laptop, my desktop and my phone linked to onedrive and they all work seamlessly. It's really convenient and nice for me. I have about 100 gig of assorted pdf xml word and music files stored there. If I want to share something I'll copy it to google drive and send a link.

As an home user of office 365 for 10 bucks a month... I use one drive, my wife uses one drive, my kids each use one drive.. and each of us has a individual 1 TB of cloud storage. Speaking for myself I have my laptop, my desktop and my phone linked to onedrive and they all work seamlessly. It's really convenient and nice for me. I have about 100 gig of assorted pdf xml word and music files stored there. If I want to share something I'll copy it to google drive and send a link.

Okay now that last sentence is funny.

Back