Microsoft Will Bet You A New Laptop That It Can Upgrade Your PC To W10

So, did you get a Dell?
The anticipation is killing me. I'm pretty certain I can dig up an old laptop with a similar problem if so. That or at least slap something together. I could use a decent new laptop.

Just got the call that their software says its a compatible laptop but win 10 won't install. They said I will be getting a Dell tomorrow and I get to keep my old laptop.

Last edited:
Just got the call that their software says its a compatible laptop but win 10 won't install and that I will be getting a Dell tomorrow and I get to keep my old laptop.
Good work! (y)

Dude, you're getting a Dell!!!

b8vhXlv.jpg

No idea why my embedded image isn't showing up. :(

Last edited:
Spent 6 hours trying to get my work computer upgraded. Failed 5 times so I do a clean wipe and install from usb. Then I can't join the domain because it gave me windows 10 home as an upgrade from Windows 8 pro >.<

Finally figured out I can use the generic w10 pro key to get pro then use my w8 pro key to activate. What a fucking mess.

That's great! Now I'm seriously contemplating driving 3 hrs to Atlanta to take my laptop to them. I'm positive that it won't work since amd and HP don't have a proper Driver. One GPU is a Radeon 4000 series the other is a 5000 series. Requires something called Power express. Which doesn't work in Windows 10 at all.

i have a desktop that it will install and run but the usb will not work the only fix is to put a usb card in the pc and forgetting about all 12 USB ports on the mobo... and it will even pass the test they do...

i have an old dv6000 core 2 duo laptop that probably wont pass...

I just messaged a friend of mine who works at the Microsoft store at the Lennox Mall. He said he can get mine to work, but if it didn't I would get a Dell AMD Laptop.

i have a desktop that it will install and run but the usb will not work the only fix is to put a usb card in the pc and forgetting about all 12 USB ports on the mobo... and it will even pass the test they do...

How old is that machine? The Asus X99 Deluxe II that I just bought that's only been out two months is the first motherboard for a system I've had that has 12 USB ports. I have three USB 3.0 hubs connected now for a total of 27 ports that all seem to be working tough I'm only using 14 currently.

How about a Microsoft store kiosk? It's the only thing near me. I have an Asus UL80vt that I tried windows 10 on and would not work correctly because of the hybrid Intel / Geforce 210 graphics situation.

I know at work we tried to upgrade a few Dell E6420 laptops but they would all blue screen due to the audio driver. I wonder what they would do since it does install but crashes here and there.

Yeah, I have no hardware that would not install the Windows 10 upgrade properly. :) Also, the only real issue I remember happening is some of the Windows 8 HP Desktop computers had a wireless card installed that would prevent both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 from installing.

I wish I had a Microsoft store close by. I have a HP laptop which came with 7 that has one of those hybrid graphics adapter setups. 2 separate GPU'S from AMD. There is no driver for it in Windows 10 that will work. What will happen is a Generic adapter will be installed, the laptop will start to over heat and eventually shut down due to heat. Shut down is usually in just a few minutes. It works fine in Windows 7 with the right driver though.

mine has a similar problem minus the overheating, it's some dumb renamed intel IGP that windows 10 refuses to recognize. works fine with windows 7.. to bad i'd have to drive 5 hours just to get to the nearest microsoft store.

I have a Lenovo Y series that won't even start the install, it crashes right away, it's a 2009 model though.

Just read the article,

This is where they will get most people,
"There are also a few additional offers. If your PC isn’t compatible, you can recycle it for a $150 credit towards a new PC."

I wonder if I bring in a few laptops, if the credits stack, so I can get a free machine from all the old ones, lol

The devil has got to be in the details here.

Will Win 10 install on slightly older HP laptops? Sure.

Will the volume buttons and other special keys work? Possibly not.

How will Microsoft treat this?

That's great! Now I'm seriously contemplating driving 3 hrs to Atlanta to take my laptop to them. I'm positive that it won't work since amd and HP don't have a proper Driver. One GPU is a Radeon 4000 series the other is a 5000 series. Requires something called Power express. Which doesn't work in Windows 10 at all.

My DV7 is the same, there is no driver that enables the performance GPU, so you are stuck with the low power GPU which doesn't do anything well except show the desktop.

My DV7 is the same, there is no driver that enables the performance GPU, so you are stuck with the low power GPU which doesn't do anything well except show the desktop.

But windows 10 WORKS doesn't it? :p

I'm guessing the fine print means you don't get to collect on this offer :p I'd be willing to bet that they explicitly state in some part of the fine print that as long as Windows 10 runs on the hardware, whether or not every single little piece of hardware has proper driver support, you don't qualify. Have a webcam that doesn't work? Not our problem, go see the webcam maker for a Win10 driver. Have an optional secondary GPU that doesn't worl? Not our problem... etc.

I have 3 machines one can't take the upgrade due to incompatibilities with the USB chip.
The other 2 can't due to onboard video is not compatible I suppose if they put in cards that were supported they could get it working.

If it's not compatible, no laptop for you.

I have a couple old Dell D820's. Won't upgrade to Windows 10 because there is no video driver available.

Well then, I guess I should go claim my laptop. Since my brand new Nuc wont take Windows 10

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 17
But windows 10 WORKS doesn't it? :p

I'm guessing the fine print means you don't get to collect on this offer :p I'd be willing to bet that they explicitly state in some part of the fine print that as long as Windows 10 runs on the hardware, whether or not every single little piece of hardware has proper driver support, you don't qualify. Have a webcam that doesn't work? Not our problem, go see the webcam maker for a Win10 driver. Have an optional secondary GPU that doesn't worl? Not our problem... etc.

Works for about 10 minutes. Then shuts down. You cannot watch videos or games on it either. I forgot, the Webcam and fingerprint reader also don't work in 10.

I called them again today because the guy asked me last night if he could continue to try and install win10 even though the "upgrade challenge" was over. I told him yeah but they still couldn't get it to upgrade to win10. I'll be able to go pick it up in a few hours then post some pics and specs of it. Probably around 4 or 5pm est.

Almost makes you think that these guys get in trouble if they can not do the upgrade. Why else be so adamant about trying.

If it's not compatible, no laptop for you.

I have a couple old Dell D820's. Won't upgrade to Windows 10 because there is no video driver available.
The desktop when I tried loading 10 on it the compatibility tool did not throw any flags and i spent 4 hours trying to get drivers to work with the onboard USB nothing worked except going back to 7 windows vista 7 and 8 work out of the box no drivers for this Asus ma97 motherboard but windows 10 usb drivers will not load...

The other two machines throw up no video drivers warnings...

I have some old Pentium 4 and Pentium M shitboxes. Some of the Penitum Ms have the dreaded 915/GMA900 graphics, and will probably fail the upgrade process. I might take MS up on this challenge. I don't need a new laptop, but I know a few people who do.

Last edited:
Phone won't upload the photo here but it's a inspiron 5000 model 5559.

LOL, the sheen of persistence. Better go update that sig!

I've got a 1.4 Ghz Athlon T-Bird here with 1.5 GB of ram and a 36WD Raptor. Its running Win 98 SE that was upgraded from Win 95. While I meets the min requirements, I'm 99.5% certain it won't upgrade. If I take it in, think I'll end up with a laptop?

Ok so now it gets real fishy. If they're ready to dish out new free laptops to people who can't install Win10 there's definately foul play buried in Win10. The only motivation for doing that would be they want to spy as many people as possible and gain money from it.

Ill buy your laptop from you Johnx64 :D

The old one that is.

[...]
"There are a few conditions. Your old PC must be capable of running Windows 10, meaning it meets the minimum system requirements. Also, you have to check into the Answer Desk by noon local time for the bet to be valid. The offer is currently active and runs through July 29th, or until supplies last. The deal is only available in the US"

Windows 10 system requirements

Here's what it takes to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet:
  • Latest OS: Make sure you're running the latest version—either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
  • Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
  • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
  • Display: 800 x 600

hmm, my computer has 40GB free of "Hard disk space" across 3 HDD drives. but only 4GB free on my ssd boot drive. I should go to a MS store.

does a rasberry pi a screen and a keyboard qualify??? im certain they couldnt get any full os on that

Ok so now it gets real fishy. If they're ready to dish out new free laptops to people who can't install Win10 there's definately foul play buried in Win10. The only motivation for doing that would be they want to spy as many people as possible and gain money from it.

You sound as though Microsoft is going to be giving away millions of laptops through this promotion. They probably have maybe 5 to 10 a store and when they run out of those that'll be it.

Is it me or should I try with a machine that has Enterprise installed?

Is it me or should I try with a machine that has Enterprise installed?

Though it's not stated in the terms on Microsoft's website I'd bet that Enterprise versions are excluded since that's not a generally available version.

Wouldn't surprise me it was excluded, TBH, that version can't get Win 10 upgrade anyway (it's a separate license).

It was just a food for thought.

Back