Microsoft Will Bet You A New Laptop That It Can Upgrade Your PC To W10

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If you are planning to upgrade one of your old PCs to W10, you should probably try taking it into a Microsoft Store first. If your system is stingy and/or stubborn enough, you may actually get a free Dell Inspiron 15—Microsoft is giving out free laptops in the event that they can’t upgrade your (compatible) PC to W10.

Maybe in realizing they’ve probably maxed out getting as many people as possible to download the upgrade, Microsoft is taking an in-person approach to promoting the free offer. Specifically, Microsoft wants to bet you a free brand new Dell Inspiron 15 that they can upgrade your old PC to Windows 10 in the same day you bring it into a Microsoft Store. The bet is that if you bring your old PC to an Answer Desk at a Microsoft Store, they will take care of the upgrade process for you for free, and have your computer ready by the end of the day. If your computer isn’t ready by the end of the day, then you get a free Dell Inspiron 15.

Oh lord. Mine is one of the laptops that won't update due to a hardware nic problem. Guess i'm going to a MS store.

I would of taken a bet like that if it didn't require me to leave my PC with some idiot help desk staffed by underpaid under skilled IT wannabe's.

Wait a minute, they say they can upgrade your laptop if it's compatible? Yeah and you MIGHT be a winner....

Disclaimer all my boxes (about 9) have been upgraded to Windows 10 with the exception of a box I need XP on for some old automotive software.

where is that fine print though? why cant i build a computer so slow it takes days to install win 10 onto it and just go in and claim a free computer?

Wait a minute, they say they can upgrade your laptop if it's compatible? Yeah and you MIGHT be a winner....

Disclaimer all my boxes (about 9) have been upgraded to Windows 10 with the exception of a box I need XP on for some old automotive software.

My computer is compatible. Win10 will install fine but freezes in the middle of windows loading due to a nic hardware setting that can't be changed. The workaround is to remove or install a different internal nic.

where is that fine print though? why cant i build a computer so slow it takes days to install win 10 onto it and just go in and claim a free computer?

"There are a few conditions. Your old PC must be capable of running Windows 10, meaning it meets the minimum system requirements. Also, you have to check into the Answer Desk by noon local time for the bet to be valid. The offer is currently active and runs through July 29th, or until supplies last. The deal is only available in the US"

Windows 10 system requirements

Here's what it takes to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet:
  • Latest OS: Make sure you're running the latest version—either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
  • Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
  • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
  • Display: 800 x 600

I upgraded my laptop from 8.1 to 10 and had 3 different experiences:

8.1 > 10 was very smooth, it asks if you want cortana and edge, installs them anyway.
Clean install > I learned that you need to make a local account first unless you want your username to be the first 5 letters of your email address. It doesn't give you all of the privacy options during installation. I start to regret doing a clean install.
Reset > Doesn't give you all of the privacy options. Local admin gets all of the apps, local standard user has minimal apps. I was going to turn the standard user into the Microsoft account and then I realized "locate my device" wont work if someone steals the laptop and can't login to my microsoft account anyway.

Edit: I forgot to mention all the spam Microsoft sends to your email address. It doesn't matter many times you unsubscribe. Welcome to windows 10 1/2, Welcome to windows 10 2/2, Check out Edge, Check out Cortana, Check out Outlook, etc.

Last edited:
This would be so easy... but since there is no MS store near me AND I don't want to waste the time putting together a super crap system.. and because I loath consumer oriented Dell computers, I would not even bother if there was an MS store near me.

Lol, I got a Compaq CQ57 where the wifi card didn't work after the upgrade. Replaced the crappy realtek it came with and it worked. Rather have that then the dell their giving out.

Nobody is going to get a free laptop out of this, they will move heaven and earth to track down drivers if needed. The only way one might succeed would be showing up 5 minutes to closing time and say "Your offers says you'll upgrade my machine the same day..." and since you obviously can't gimme my free laptop..." or something close to it.

A driver here and there is meaningless, they'll find a way to make it work. Hell, I can install Windows 10 on a laptop made in 2001 with the release of XP made from a VIA chipset and other components that have long since not been supported and it'll still work.

This is a marketing gimmick more than anything else.

But then again they could just give away Dell laptops for free, it's not like it's costing them anything - it's marketing for Microsoft AND Dell in the process and if it gets more people using Windows 10 then that's what they'll do.

This is a desperation move in my opinion and a rather lame one at that.

Downgrading to Windows 10 was not the issue on my laptop.
The issue was sleep no longer worked and i lost 65% of my laptops volume.
PM me and i will give you my shipping address.

Nobody is going to get a free laptop out of this, they will move heaven and earth to track down drivers if needed. The only way one might succeed would be showing up 5 minutes to closing time and say "Your offers says you'll upgrade my machine the same day..." and since you obviously can't gimme my free laptop..." or something close to it.

A driver here and there is meaningless, they'll find a way to make it work. Hell, I can install Windows 10 on a laptop made in 2001 with the release of XP made from a VIA chipset and other components that have long since not been supported and it'll still work.

This is a marketing gimmick more than anything else.

But then again they could just give away Dell laptops for free, it's not like it's costing them anything - it's marketing for Microsoft AND Dell in the process and if it gets more people using Windows 10 then that's what they'll do.

This is a desperation move in my opinion and a rather lame one at that.

You have to have it to them by noon.

And there is a way to do it.... Make sure the system barely meets the system specs. Make sure the NIC will NOT work in Windows 10.. Something like and old 3COM 3C905 or similar. Make sure the HDD is the slowest and smallest you can use for the upgrade.

I can pretty much guarantee you that it will take more than 5 hours to install Win10 on a machine like that.

However, I am guessing that they also are using a prepped system image to do this in order to cut down the time needed as much as possible.

But, on the flipside, an old system with those minimum specs might be worth more now than the laptop they say they will give you.

shit should have taken my brand new asus transformer t300 in, just upgraded to windows 10 when i got it but took 12 gruling hours have no idea why it took so long it has a core m processor 4gb ddr3 1600 ram and 128gb ssd but for some reason the last 9% took 11 hours no disk, cpu or wifi activity was happening. if i knew about this i could have got another free laptop lol.

Nobody is going to get a free laptop out of this, they will move heaven and earth to track down drivers if needed.

This is just a promotion where they have set aside a limited number of devices so some people will get them, Microsoft probably wants at least some to get them as that comes across as good PR. I think the risk here is that they get a lot of response to this and end up having to turn away too many people.

I have 3 machines one can't take the upgrade due to incompatibilities with the USB chip.
The other 2 can't due to onboard video is not compatible I suppose if they put in cards that were supported they could get it working.

shit should have taken my brand new asus transformer t300 in, just upgraded to windows 10 when i got it but took 12 gruling hours have no idea why it took so long it has a core m processor 4gb ddr3 1600 ram and 128gb ssd but for some reason the last 9% took 11 hours no disk, cpu or wifi activity was happening. if i knew about this i could have got another free laptop lol.

That is not normal so, something funny was going on with your computer. Normally, I can install Windows 10 on a computer with an SSD in about 30 minutes at most from scratch.

Aww, why didn't I wait a month! Damn it! Get yourself one of Asus ET2701I All-in-ones and watch them sweat. According to Asus that system is capable and supported for Windows 10 upgrade (from original 8/8.1). Windows 10 readiness tool will tell you same. I dare you try it. It will go through the motion all the way to the, almost, end, and then BSOD and roll back. Funny 2 hours.

Asus support, after few days, will admit driver that works is not available and they don't know when it might be available (that's the tune for last year). Microsoft support community has lengthy thread about it, and the only way people figured out how to put Windows 10 on it is to install old nVidia driver, then use 3rd party utility to disable nVidia device, and even then you can only perform clean install, not an upgrade.

What few people realize is that that All-in-one is in fact notebook guts slapped at the back of 27" touch LCD monitor. And if you had a chance to work with notebooks that have nVidia 640m chip you may have noticed that they include, so called, "optimus" feature, which is two video chips. Built in Intel, and on board nVidia (to conserve power notebooks mostly work on Intel chip unless application requires more video horsepower). Nowhere in specs is that listed. Nowhere! Except if you go and look for it in Intel's CPU Ark. In fact, unless you install Intel video driver blind, no "search for update" will ever find device, nor it's going to be listed in device manager (Asus must have done something in BIOS, since this PC does not need to conserve power because it does not run on batteries).

So, instead of performing above mentioned harakiri with nVidia, you install Intel video diver, disable nVidia in device manager, and THEN do upgrade.

I really doubt Microsoft drones would figure that out in time allotted.

My computer is compatible. Win10 will install fine but freezes in the middle of windows loading due to a nic hardware setting that can't be changed. The workaround is to remove or install a different internal nic.

Had a similar experience with my dual Xeon rig. Upgrade successful, insta-hang at desktop. Would only finish booting if there were no Radeon drivers installed. Never did find a way to get that fixed - even DDU couldn't solve that one. Went back to 7 on that machine.

When I thought microsoft can't get any more desperate on pushing w10.

They had my laptop for about an hour and already called to tell me they couldn't upgrade and wanted to make sure it was ok to format it and try it that way. I told them to go nuts cause it won't help lol.

Crap. I had such vivid plans.

Devices must also be running Windows 8 or newer, Microsoft adds, leaving older Windows 7 machines out of the trade-in deal.

I've got it! Install on a IDE/SATA industrial SSD, with the SLOWEST throughput available - I think one can get them on Ebay with something like 10MB/s throughput. It'd take hours just to transfer the 15-20GB Win10 requires, if they short-cut the process and installed on a faster drive to clone it to your drive at the end.

I don't see it saying that they keep your old laptop anywhere other than this line "Microsoft reserves the right to modify or discontinue offers at any time." I'm hoping to get the free one and keep the old one.

If you think about it, it's not a bad way to beta test the installers. All of the failed ones in a controlled environment will likely be sent back to MS so they can figure out improvements.

Even if they give you the hardware back, the install logs will likely be sent back.

If you think about it, it's not a bad way to beta test the installers. All of the failed ones in a controlled environment will likely be sent back to MS so they can figure out improvements.

Even if they give you the hardware back, the install logs will likely be sent back.

I was sort of thinking the same thing. It would be very interesting to know the failure rate of Windows 10 installs and upgrades. I've updated to installed it on somewhere around 30 totally different kinds of devices thus far and only had one issue where an older device running Windows 7 did something odd at log in, forget the exact problem but nothing show stopping and the machine ran fine otherwise. And the Insider upgrades for the Anniversary Update, no issues with that on my sig rig and a Surface Pro 3. And they are releasing Insider updates at a torrid pace these days. Three new builds in one week in the Fast ring. Fast actually seems to me fast now. They are close to RTM on the Anniversary Update so that's probably driving the pace right now.

Of all of the stuff surrounding Windows 10 I think the Insider Program may be one of the biggest and actually most beneficial aspects to 10. New builds of Windows for anyone that wants them on a routine basis. That's a completely different approach than prior versions of Windows.

I would pretty much bet some of the big hot deal sites (won't mention names... :p) are flooded with people trying to flat out find a scammy/scummy way to get a free laptop out of them. No offense but it sounds like some of you here are doing nearly that -- spending way too much time trying to test their fine print to find a weakness and score a free laptop. Those that are merely talking about it is one thing, seriously wanting to actually do it another. :eek:

Upgrading to Windows 10 is never the problem. The issue is upgrading to Windows 10 while finding working drivers for your components, and making sure your software still works. Don't think I ever found perfectly working Via HD audio drivers for Windows 10.

Pretty much. I don't think anone complained about not being able to upgrade... I thought the complaints were about being shoved into upgrading, which is the complete opposite.

17i5ru.jpg

I wonder if they would give me a new laptop for failing to upgrade my newly bought 2 in 1. It's running Windows 10, build 1507 and I'm being prompted to upgrade to 1511. The only problem is the tablet only has a 32 GB SSD and can't be replaced. Basic functions take up all but 8GB and it needs 16GB to upgrade. I wonder how MS would handle that little hitch. :p

They had my laptop for about an hour and already called to tell me they couldn't upgrade and wanted to make sure it was ok to format it and try it that way. I told them to go nuts cause it won't help lol.
Wait a minute, they're cheating. If they format it then it's not an upgrade anymore but a fresh install.

The terms and conditions don't say its limited to laptops only. My work computer is made out of spare parts from my old rig, I7-950 at 3.8, 18GB of RAM (of which Win 7 home only allows me to use 16), a GTX 580, and 840 EVO SSD, all in a Coolermaster Storm Shadow Striker case.

Biggest concern I've had is about work product and client data compared to M$'s system tracking in Win 10.

So, did you get a Dell?

I wish I had a Microsoft store close by. I have a HP laptop which came with 7 that has one of those hybrid graphics adapter setups. 2 separate GPU'S from AMD. There is no driver for it in Windows 10 that will work. What will happen is a Generic adapter will be installed, the laptop will start to over heat and eventually shut down due to heat. Shut down is usually in just a few minutes. It works fine in Windows 7 with the right driver though.

So, did you get a Dell?

The anticipation is killing me. I'm pretty certain I can dig up an old laptop with a similar problem if so. That or at least slap something together. I could use a decent new laptop.

Back