Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has Serious Problems

Win10 has an amazing parallel to global politics. You didn't want it, your going to get it, and your going to love it.
Then in the end you will be embarrassed you didn't fight harder for an alternative.
Or even fight at all! LOL ;)

most people here just hate microsoft, I really don't understand why. I have had absolutely 0, I mean 0 issues with windows 10. It is butter smooth and never have had one crash on it. Everything just works, my network printers actually work frickin automatically and I never installed any drivers for any of them. I have 3 in the house. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but to see so much hate for an OS that was free to upgrade to. I don't understand this Linux bla bla, its free udpate? if linux works for you, all power to you. But it doesn't work for most consumers. I am sure people hate microsoft just as anyone hates any big corporation, because they they are a corporation that is out to steal your info, lol.

Running XP in an enterprise environment in 2016 is irresponsible to the point of representing gross incompetence on the part of the IT department./

Not necessarily. If the machines don't have any interaction with the Internet and are otherwise in a strictly controlled environment, then they can run any OS indefinitely.

Many businesses are still dependent on otherwise obsolete software that only runs on older OSes. And most businesses today would function just as well with the same software that was available a decade ago, had said software continued to received support.

But the bottom line is, Windows XP could be as secure as anything else on the market today, except there is always more $$$ in selling completely new software as opposed to fixing holes in code that many times should have never been released in the first place. Hardware has very tangible limitations; software is only limited by the ability and / or effort of those coding it. So this is just typical marketing bullshit all the way around.

Running XP in an enterprise environment in 2016 is irresponsible to the point of representing gross incompetence on the part of the IT department./

YOU try getting a tightwad owner to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to transition off a piece of business-critical software because the version they own only runs on XP...

YOU try getting a tightwad owner to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to transition off a piece of business-critical software because the version they own only runs on XP...

Sometimes you're lucky if it is only Hundreds of thousands... for those incompatible critical system upgrades.

Also stability has been horrible on both old hardware we have tested windows 10 on and new.

We have had issues with drivers on old hardware and we even started testing brand new Microsoft Surface Pro 4s which no one wants to use since they don't sleep properly , which is sort of critical for tablets.

most people here just hate microsoft, I really don't understand why. I have had absolutely 0, I mean 0 issues with windows 10. It is butter smooth and never have had one crash on it. Everything just works, my network printers actually work frickin automatically and I never installed any drivers for any of them. I have 3 in the house. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but to see so much hate for an OS that was free to upgrade to. I don't understand this Linux bla bla, its free udpate? if linux works for you, all power to you. But it doesn't work for most consumers. I am sure people hate microsoft just as anyone hates any big corporation, because they they are a corporation that is out to steal your info, lol.

The majority of people that hate microsoft are those that have made a living working with and supporting its products. I'm going to assume you aren't in technology, or if you are, you've never really worked with servers or desktops.

Microsoft is no doubt the Standard Oil of the 21st century. Though a government dismantling of the company is highly unlikely, there will be a point where the market, either through choice or more likely evolution, will cease to continue to support their current business model and strategy, which are two things that could start an infinite discussion on their own.

Not even close. I'm actually the guy that gets called to fix the PC's after all the idiot techs who use a bunch of third party programs have screwed it up to the point of their only solution is "Reinstall". Here is a protip, 99% of the time a windows reinstall isn't necessary or even prudent. It is a lazy way of dealing with problems. Much like using crap like GWX is a lazy way of dealing with win 10 popups that are easily disabled in about 10 seconds by anyone who knows how to use a search engine. Furthermore every single feature of GWX is again easily done by anyone who has more than a passing knowledge of windows. It is a lazy tool for people who can't be bothered to learn the OS. Sorry but I don't advocate the use of most third party "Tech utilities" any longer. Most of them are sloppily coded and fraught with security programs, not to mention almost never come from a trustworthy source.

Sorry to ruin your silly little preconceived notion about me.

Why is using GWX "laziness"?

Sure, you can spend a bunch of time tooling around on every machine and do everything MANUALLY.

But if you have a tool that automates the process down to a couple keypresses, why the fuck not?

Or are you stuck in the mentality that it's more "manly" to do everything by hand?

As for GWX being sloppy or suspect. Do you know what registry and filesystem tracking are for?
I basically had to trace and log the exact changes GWX made to a system before I implemented it in several client environments.
I also had to monitor a system with the monitor service enable for a month.

Basically ALL GWX is doing is a bunch of the stuff you'd do manually.
And as far as my network monitoring shows, there's no phone-homey-ness in the monitor service whatsoever.

I don't care what an individual does on their personal computer. I care when a self professed tech who is "charging money" takes shortcuts on their customers.

My customers are paying for my time and expertise.
And my time and expertise are EXPENSIVE.
So my customers like the fact that some of the automated tools I use save them billable time.
Especially when I do the research on the tools I use to make sure they're safe to use.

My rant is about you taking money from people and running a half assed program. If you are going to call yourself a tech and charge people money, then fix it right and uninstall and hide the update as well as leave the customer information on what update was hidden as well as how to undo it in the future. I don't care a bit about you rolling them back to Win 7, give them what they want. I get irritated at all the shortcuts "techs" today take because I've spent years cleaning up the messes all those shortcuts make. Sure this one might not make any particular messes, but it still doesn't excuse it when there is a right way that actually takes the same period of time.

The problem is, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You have just enough knowledge to make you dangerous and hyper-opinionated, without understanding the thought, testing and business process' behind a decision. And you're assuming the state of a system passing out of these other people's hands, using an arbitary and professedly sloppy ideal as a benchmark.

You're doing the equivalent of walking around with your nose in the air, as if your shit don't stink.

It's time to grow up.

Sometimes you're lucky if it is only Hundreds of thousands... for those incompatible critical system upgrades.

Also stability has been horrible on both old hardware we have tested windows 10 on and new.

We have had issues with drivers on old hardware and we even started testing brand new Microsoft Surface Pro 4s which no one wants to use since they don't sleep properly , which is sort of critical for tablets.

Yeah. New hardware and new software. There's gonna be problems?

Uhm. DUH?

But yeah, nobody wants to be the guinea pig while they're working these problems out.

Have a client who went all SP3s a while back. They're nominally happy with it. But they went for the balls-to-the-wall version with the i7, max memory and biggest SSD.

But some of the issues with the SP4s have been having us recommend that people wait a few months for Microsoft to iron out the bugs.

The majority of people that hate microsoft are those that have made a living working with and supporting its products. I'm going to assume you aren't in technology, or if you are, you've never really worked with servers or desktops.

Microsoft is no doubt the Standard Oil of the 21st century. Though a government dismantling of the company is highly unlikely, there will be a point where the market, either through choice or more likely evolution, will cease to continue to support their current business model and strategy, which are two things that could start an infinite discussion on their own.

People have been hating on Microsoft ever since Bill Gates' letter to the BASIC community telling them they can't pirate his product.

That's not to say that MS hasn't made some truly horrific decisions over its lifetime...

But hating Microsoft is basically older than dirt.

I'm sure there are geek cave paintings out there where someone tried painting the Microsoft logo and it's been heavily vandalized over the centuries...

MS has to stop expecting people to keep upgrading. At least be happy they moved from XP. It's a pretty big endeavour with little to no gain to "upgrade" OSes especially in a corporate environment. Heck my company just got off XP maybe about a year ago. 8.1 is a usability nightmare, and 10 is a privacy nightmare, I don't see any company willingly upgrading to either of those.

I like this classic quote from Linus Torvalds: "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." :D

Win 10 is working great for me, hated win 8, 8.1 was a little bit better. Win 10 is the next Win 7, Win XP with future followers telling MS to fuck off on their next OS after Win 10 gets 6 years old. Probably many who have commented here too :p.

That's very short-sighted. For a small/med sized enterprise like us, to replace all of our XP machines would cost us over $100k. For machines that do one simple task for production work, that aren't connected to the internet, that have no local admin rights, this is the best we can do. Also, seeing as how we laid off nearly 10% of our workforce recently, getting approval for 100k in hardware upgrades, along with the downtime and labor to update everything.... not going to happen.

That's very short-sighted. For a small/med sized enterprise like us, to replace all of our XP machines would cost us over $100k. For machines that do one simple task for production work, that aren't connected to the internet, that have no local admin rights, this is the best we can do. Also, seeing as how we laid off nearly 10% of our workforce recently, getting approval for 100k in hardware upgrades, along with the downtime and labor to update everything.... not going to happen.

The $100k upgrade includes software, install, etc as well, actual hardware costs would be negligible.

"At least unlike with Apple you are given years to keep using older OSs."

Research the Powerbook 165C. That computer was bricked less than 6 months after I bought it.

When the message comes from their marketing department, I suddenly stop listening...

Love these threads. MS hate pile-ons have always been a [H] tradition.

Desktop OS ebbs and flows aside their server and back end products are awesome.

yes, sure you are :rolleyes:

Not really sure what to make of these kinds of anecdotes. I don't deal daily with average PC users but so far with those I have dealt with, about a dozen friends and family, I've not seen a single serious issue, with d mix of new devices and upgrades. My sister got herself a cheapo Windows 10 laptop for Office and to hook up to a TV for Netflix and DVDs which I helped her setup over the holidays. It's working well so far.

While I never thought Windows 8.x was as bad as many at this point with 8 I did hear some complaints personally. And at work we're still on track to start Windows 10 deployments this summer. Experiences obviously vary with anything but I'm having a difficult time aligning much of the cyberspace rhetoric with reality. With 8 much of the criticism was personally mud more tangible.

Not really sure what to make of these kinds of anecdotes. I don't deal daily with average PC users but so far with those I have dealt with, about a dozen friends and family, I've not seen a single serious issue, with d mix of new devices and upgrades. My sister got herself a cheapo Windows 10 laptop for Office and to hook up to a TV for Netflix and DVDs which I helped her setup over the holidays. It's working well so far.

While I never thought Windows 8.x was as bad as many at this point with 8 I did hear some complaints personally. And at work we're still on track to start Windows 10 deployments this summer. Experiences obviously vary with anything but I'm having a difficult time aligning much of the cyberspace rhetoric with reality. With 8 much of the criticism was personally mud more tangible.

Yeah we are 85% 8.1 here, which our users love. Windows 10 has some compatibility issues with our some applications that cannot be AppV'd, so no rush on that. It has been hit or miss with the surface pro 3's, which are a bit buggy to begin with, and on 10 they can get a bit goofy.

200 PCs is not an enterprise. 200 servers, maybe.

You're a small to medium sized business.

Yeah we are 85% 8.1 here, which our users love. Windows 10 has some compatibility issues with our some applications that cannot be AppV'd, so no rush on that. It has been hit or miss with the surface pro 3's, which are a bit buggy to begin with, and on 10 they can get a bit goofy.

My personal experience with 10 on my Surface 3 and Pro 3 wasn't great with the into a 10240 release. How ever since the Threshold 2 release back in November everything has been very solid. Likewise my Surface Book has been running better though like many people sleep mode is iffy and I'm having issues with the dock and screen detaching and switching over to AC power. But those are driver issues. Software compatibility has never been a problem for me but that's just my personal experience and not in a business environment but I do use a lot of software.

I did watch this podcast with Chris Capossela and I think the remarks he made, while specious, have been standard Microsoft marketing forever with new versions of Windows. The new version is always "more secure" and whatnot.

It was a pretty interesting interview for a high level executive. Being the head marketing guy, he's very much aware of all the Windows 10 talk such as the privacy debate and push back by some of the aggressive upgrades. And his answer was actually very straightforward. Microsoft is pushing 10 aggressively to get market share up quickly to attract developers to the universal app planform to get more and better apps for mobile especially. But they also want Xbox, HoloLens, IoT development as well.

When your new product is not selling well bust out out the fearmongering. This is rather sad to stoop so low.

e8AKKEA.jpg

at the same time they have a new popup every week trying to trick people into windows 10 spyware lol

"update to the absolute latest, for security!" - said nobody who's ever been in security

I actually like Windows 10, the lack of UI chrome, taskbars on every screen, better DPI scaling, and informative tiles (being able to see that I have email at a glance without running the app really makes my day) sold it to me. It seems to perform pretty well too, or I'd be running 7. Windows 8's interface was a real mixed bag, but I liked the modern no-nonsense style. Windows 10 is my favorite Windows so far, but you run whatever you want.

I don't care, but if you install Linux on your older relatives computers good luck keeping them up to date and fielding questions constantly. I've got both of my parents on 10 (after I evaluated it for 6 months first.).

I deal with a few different charity groups, they don't have any mission critical computers or servers or anything like that, but, there is a sizeable amount of computers between the 6 groups, roughly 500. These are used in offices but some are also in computer rooms for use by under privileged teenagers and adults. I installed windows 10 on everyone of these computers back in August and haven't had one complaint, not one.

I installed Windows 10 on an old EeePC last week. It works at least as well as XP did, and if anything feels quicker. So, yeah.

My advice is to upgrade to Windows 10, and don't look back. Actually, you shouldn't even be on Windows 7 anymore. There has been Windows 8/8.1 for a while, and I have been using Windows 10 for much more than 1 year. So, why use an antiquated OS that is going to be defunct in a few years? It just does not make any sense at all. It is not logical.

So it works for you it must work for everybody?
You like it so must everybody?
WRONG.

Linux works pretty dam good. I put it on several business machines for residents and they probably didn't know it was linux instead of windows.

My advice is to upgrade to Windows 10, and don't look back. Actually, you shouldn't even be on Windows 7 anymore. There has been Windows 8/8.1 for a while, and I have been using Windows 10 for much more than 1 year. So, why use an antiquated OS that is going to be defunct in a few years? It just does not make any sense at all. It is not logical.

Most people/companies just finished upgrading to 7. It's ridiculous to expect people to constantly change their OSes as soon as they are set and comfortable. 8.x is not a viable desktop operating system and is a usability nightmare, I would not even count that as an upgrade path, and 10 is still too new, and has lot of privacy issues that I'm sure businesses would (and should) be concerned about.

Unfortunately most people these days seem to accept the fact that everything they do is being watched, so 10 will probably eventually gain mass adoption and companies like Microsoft will continue to push their limits as to how far they can spy on people.

So it works for you it must work for everybody?
You like it so must everybody?
WRONG.

Linux works pretty dam good. I put it on several business machines for residents and they probably didn't know it was linux instead of windows.

Oh please, lets get real, if they were business machines, they would have noticed immediately. The Linux desktop is not a viable option for the business world, nice try though.

Oh please, lets get real, if they were business machines, they would have noticed immediately. The Linux desktop is not a viable option for the business world, nice try though.
Business machines for RESIDENTS. They are used for browsing, resume writing, and looking for jobs.

Hi All

Glad Windows 10 is working out for you. However, everyone's not you.Some of us have no need or desire to upgrade.

Back