Microsoft Wants You Using Edge, Whether You Want to or Not

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
The Register is reporting that Microsoft is about to test a new feature in Windows 10 that will force users to use the Edge browser in certain circumstances. In the upcoming Insider preview build 17623, people in the "Skip Ahead" ring will be testing a change that makes it where links clicked on in the Windows Mail app will open in Edge. The reason? Microsoft still thinks Edge is the most bestest browser.
Microsoft really hasn't gotten the hint yet that no one likes Edge. I tried it for a while on my severely underpowered Windows 10 tablet, and it was a bit faster than Chrome, but the features and navigation were just something I couldn't live with. We will have to keep an eye on its marketshare and see if this forced approach makes anyone use it, or just makes people stop using Windows Mail.

For Windows Insiders in the Skip Ahead ring, we will begin testing a change where links clicked on within the Windows Mail app will open in Microsoft Edge, which provides the best, most secure and consistent experience on Windows 10 and across your devices. With built-in features for reading, note-taking, Cortana integration, and easy access to services such as SharePoint and OneDrive, Microsoft Edge enables you to be more productive, organized and creative without sacrificing your battery life or security. As always, we look forward to feedback from our WIP community.

They should just give up on the web browser wars and start bundling Firefox to stick it to Google.

As long as they get to set the default home page and search engine to Bing does it really matter what particular browser the user runs from a revenue perspective?

I wonder how many developers they have that work on Edge? Be curious to know what dev costs are per year. I'd also like to know the morale of the team. Imagine working on something you know that people won't use. I'd have such a hard time focusing on bug fixes and new features.

If you use Edge they can collect more data about you

I'd assume they could bundle an addon for FF that does the same and integrates Cortana and whatever else they want to do. That gives users the friendly option to opt out or modify settings and lets their team focus on features rather than endlessly developing a complete browser product nobody wants to use.

I'd assume they could bundle an addon for FF that does the same and integrates Cortana and whatever else they want to do. That gives users the friendly option to opt out or modify settings and lets their team focus on features rather than endlessly developing a complete browser product nobody wants to use.
Or they could build a windows branded firefox and modify it so they get all the data that's normally sent to Mozilla.

Microsoft really hasn't gotten the hint yet that no one likes Edge.

I disagree, but only because I think most people just don't give a shit, not because there was some conscious choice in the matter. The people using this site, and the people that even understand the difference in general, do not represent the majority of users. Moreover, the people using the "Mail" application in windows 10 are likely NOT in that group of people that understand said difference. I don't think its a bad thing that MS wants to keep the technically ignorant folks within their own ecosystem to maintain a certain level of functionality and integration that ignorant users expect. For the rest of us (that don't use the Mail app) there is still a choice, where the default browser settings are obeyed.

Personally, I don't mind using Edge. It's vastly superior to IE, and about on par for the most part with Chrome in terms of performance, memory footprint, etc. As a side note, with regard to data collection that others have brought up; one cannot make any argument that Edge is collecting any more analytical data than Chrome. We all know both companies are just as bad in that regard. If you're worried about that, you shouldn't be using either browser in my opinion.

So I use Edge for video since Chrome still is limited in its resolutions. Edge is not awful for that use at least.

At this point Edge is pretty solid browser. I know people around here will slam it but I'm not having any major issues with it, biggest problem is lack of extensions. It's much better than Chrome for touch and the UI is more responsive. Chrome does initially loading faster.

At this point Edge is pretty solid browser. I know people around here will slam it but I'm not having any major issues with it, biggest problem is lack of extensions. It's much better than Chrome for touch and the UI is more responsive. Chrome does initially loading faster.

That's kinda beside the point, though. Microsoft doesn't get to use it's position as the author of the OS to pick winners and losers in the browser market. At least they shouldn't get to...

there are many reasons for and against it (and MSFT at this point in general) IMHO, if folks do NOT want to use it, let them use THEIR computer and whatever browser they want to use, simple as that, just because Chrome or whomever is "winning" well sux to be you MSFT, maybe folks just want another "choice" because choices no matter how good or how bad they may or may not be, well, that is up to the consumer it always has been (not counting when draconian tactics prevent such of course)

as fas as MSFT redirecting traffic to themselves for whatever reason, FTC or whomever is supposed to have oversight on these type things really need to slam the hammer down on MSFT HARD....bad enough they want to completely control everything you do on their OS for many reasons both legit and nefarious, at least let the consumer have some semblance of control what their computer will do on "simple" tasks such as when click a webpage to go to site X, Y, or Z, then so be it, if they break their computer they should have paid more attention type deal.

that and if MSFT really "cared" about their mail program, one would not be getting 5-10-10000 emails a week from BS senders in your inbox and/or lately a guaranteed "ad" every damn time log in to hotmail/outlook, glad I am not using Win 10 and having to deal with that much more BS for nothing (preventing access to legacy programs, having to turn on metered connection etc etc etc) ^.^

I don't quite understand how it's OK to force a certain browser to be the default when it didn't work many years ago with bundling IE. If the user can't choose a default application to be launched this sounds like a whole lot of violation...

That's kinda beside the point, though. Microsoft doesn't get to use it's position as the author of the OS to pick winners and losers in the browser market. At least they shouldn't get to...

I agree and am against this change. But it's a change to the Windows 10 email app, not Edge. And I don't see how this would improve Edge's market share enough to take the PR hit anyway.

Its a big deal when MS does stuff like this. Cause their OS is used more than any other OS in the world. And they keep getting away with it.

If I ever decide to use windows 10. I'll look into 3rd party programs that can make it behave better.

Time for an anti-trust smack down.

Meanwhile, Linux looks better every day.
We all went through this yrs ago. MS sued in europe over forced IE browser and lost. Choice arrived. Why does North America still put up with lack of choice. If I don't want edge it should be wiped clear off of my computer. MS comes back and states we have choice except MS gets to decide when.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd be back on Windows 7. I only went to 10 for DX12. Doh...Bought into the hype too much. Nothing I need in 10.

I wouldn’t mind using it except it sucks in the way it functions for bookmarks and stuff. Hands down every other browser is better than edge in this regard.

I don’t use their mail app so I guess it won’t affect me at all.

Maybe someday they will pull their head out of their ass and realize.... NM. That won’t happen. Seems they keep cramming it deeper with regards to how we want things.

I must be doing something wrong. Edge is very slow on the 4 machines I normally use compared to chrome or current FF. It always has been. Machines range from bairly win 10 capable to current high end gaming rig.

Oops, kind off topic. Back to point, I think the bigger concern is if this works (no rebellion) MS will start doing this with other applications. Maybe outlook excluding volume licenses? I can't see forcing a browser on enterprise customer workflows without huge pushback.

there are many reasons for and against it (and MSFT at this point in general) IMHO, if folks do NOT want to use it, let them use THEIR computer and whatever browser they want to use, simple as that, just because Chrome or whomever is "winning" well sux to be you MSFT, maybe folks just want another "choice" because choices no matter how good or how bad they may or may not be, well, that is up to the consumer it always has been (not counting when draconian tactics prevent such of course)

as fas as MSFT redirecting traffic to themselves for whatever reason, FTC or whomever is supposed to have oversight on these type things really need to slam the hammer down on MSFT HARD....bad enough they want to completely control everything you do on their OS for many reasons both legit and nefarious, at least let the consumer have some semblance of control what their computer will do on "simple" tasks such as when click a webpage to go to site X, Y, or Z, then so be it, if they break their computer they should have paid more attention type deal.

that and if MSFT really "cared" about their mail program, one would not be getting 5-10-10000 emails a week from BS senders in your inbox and/or lately a guaranteed "ad" every damn time log in to hotmail/outlook, glad I am not using Win 10 and having to deal with that much more BS for nothing (preventing access to legacy programs, having to turn on metered connection etc etc etc) ^.^

I imagine this idea came from a board or executive level meeting something like "Everyone uses safari on Mac, we need them using Edge in Windows!"

Then the poor managers that have to make that "vision" happen are trying to figure out how to "realize the vision" without getting some judge to smack it with a ban hammer hard enough MS has to find a scape goat to appease the board or execs that came up with the idea to start with.

This makes sense in that MS mail users are probably the least likely to raise a fuss. Edge is probably already (still) their default browser.

Can we put down the pitchforks?

This currently only applies to people who have explicitly opted into a test program and agreed to provide testing data. If the final update has this then maybe its a problem

Can we put down the pitchforks?

This currently only applies to people who have explicitly opted into a test program and agreed to provide testing data. If the final update has this then maybe its a problem

Why? Waiting to voice concern over a user-hostile change until after its in the final/public build would be too late. Thus the pushback is happening now.

I swear if I had a dollar for every time I've heard "don't worry it's only the beta, it won't be in the final". There's been a slow, creeping erosion of user choice ever since the start screen debacle of Windows 8. Nobody trusts MS anymore, because too many times they tested something boneheaded in a preview build to see what they could get away with, only for it to end up in the RTM exactly the same.

I remember the good old days when the first time you did something like click on a link you were asked what you wanted to do (and told you could change your mind later)...back when Windows was friendly and not dumbed down.

Microsoft really hasn't gotten the hint yet that no one likes Edge. I tried it for a while on my severely underpowered Windows 10 tablet, and it was a bit faster than Chrome, but the features and navigation were just something I couldn't live with. We will have to keep an eye on its marketshare and see if this forced approach makes anyone use it, or just makes people stop using Windows Mail.

I surprisingly switched to Edge recently...I found the opposite to be true...Chrome is a bit faster but UI layout and navigation were much less cluttered and easier to use...Chrome is still the king of extensions but I now use Edge full time

Listen, I actually do pay attention to what people say in forums, and I have an opinion myself.

Nobody seems to want MS Edge. I'm used to Chrome, that's it.

I will not be forced into using Edge. If MS told me that I had to change. Bubeye.

So they are setting it as the default browser when you are linking from a MS app? This is a non issue. Also, Edge is fine unless you use
1) the web developer console (Chrome is still the best but Edge's tool are not horrible)
2) lots of strange extensions (it has LastPass, Ghostery, Pocket which I use)

Most people are stuck in their ways though. They use Chrome and since it work fine, they will never try out any other browser. Yes, Chrome works fine just like any modern browser. I use Firefox since the fonts look better and well, it is a modern browser so it works fine.

One of the first things I started deleting on all our computers(home and work) was the mail app, and then people, when I saw them pop up after some of last years updates. I also immediately noticed after the first and all following 10 installs, was how it hi-jacked PDF as the default app. Seriously why would I want any web browser to open a pdf. Adobe's near daily updates may annoy me but I'll take it over Edge any day. I also noticed how the MS's default music app(you know the one they just discontinued support for) kept hi-jacking most of my audio extensions as default app.

M.S., and many other companies, really are going out of their way to make the OS the one-stop, do-all for everything. It terms of a seamless experience that's kind of nice. In terms of performance or security, not so much. Some day it could happen and be really cool, until then I'll keep doing what I've been doing since Dos 1.0 days and install what I want, how I want, to use when I want.

Last edited:
Time for an anti-trust smack down.

Meanwhile, Linux looks better every day.

Linux looks the same as it has for the past decade. Good for some users, not for most and the community as obnoxious as ever. I think the correct answer is Windows 7 looks better every day.

Linux looks the same as it has for the past decade. Good for some users, not for most and the community as obnoxious as ever. I think the correct answer is Windows 7 looks better every day.

Hm, I started dual booting Win 10 and Linux about 2 years ago (didn't like the direction MS was following). I haven't noticed much 'obnoxiousness' from the Linux community. Pretty much all the questions I had on Linux were covered in some forum in a manor similar to how the Windows forums did. About the only issues I've had with Linux were related to differences in the distributions and the subsystems they may be using. Over all, Linux has caused me less issues than Windows 10 (by far!).

Back