Microsoft Wants to Put Ads in Windows Email

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

While the company claims it was an “experimental feature that was never intended to be tested broadly” and “is being turned off,” there is clear indication that Microsoft was planning to add banner advertisements to the Windows 10 Mail and Calendar apps. In order to opt out, users would have to get an Office 365 Personal subscription, which costs $7 a month.

Microsoft comms head Frank Shaw tells us the company has decided to turn these ads off. He also says the experiment was never intended to be tested broadly, which doesn’t quite jibe with the existence of a FAQ about a pilot program taking place in several countries around the world, but either way the ads should be gone.

captaindiptoad likes this.
  2. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

3. CVNet1

CVNet1 [H]ard|Gawd

YAY!!!!
    Another way for Microsoft to re-purpose the OS as an advertising platform and consequently yet another reliable stream of income for the Microsoft Bottom Line.

DrezKill likes this.
  4. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

And people called me crazy for complaining about windows office ads in the windows8 weather app.

Madoc likes this.
  5. Shikami

Shikami Gawd

I just wont use it anymore......

SolarisGuru likes this.
  6. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Limp Gawd

My hot / live mail are actually my oldest one, also the least used one,,, like in once every 6 month or so.
    And just like my google things my windows are not synchronized or all wound up in their services and APPs like they would prefer it to be so they can take the most from me.
    If they become too much of a hoop to jump i will just move my mail to a linux based machine and change email addresses as they are really not something i am bound to.

Deny - deny - deny at my place are more like delete - delete - delete APPs and features / services i don't need.

7. Wierdo

Wierdo [H]ard|Gawd

Don't they already do this? I tried their email before and half of the spam is blocked, the other half is MS ads.

8. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

So let me get this straight, MS wants more ad revenue after laying off their entire QA developers. First they need to stop breaking shit with updates.

mynamehere and DrezKill like this.
  9. Madoc

Madoc Gawd

*Madoc strokes his copy of Win 7 Pro* "It's okay. You have nothing to fear. We'll be together... forever."

Dudhunter, Flatline, craigdt and 9 others like this.
  10. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Never used Windows 10 mail or calendar, looks like I never will.

FlawleZ and bohhad like this.
  11. jojo69

jojo69 [H]ardForum Junkie

just a matter of time

12. PantherBlitz

PantherBlitz Limp Gawd

They are doing their damnest to knock the halo off their image.

13. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

the oddest thing about this whole news article is.. i guess some people actually use the Mail app in windows??