Microsoft Virtual CD Drive (ISO Mount)

Grimmda

2[H]4U
So I have an image file I tried burning to a DVD and was going to use but the burn failed (don't know don't care).

So I figured I'd go get some app that can mount .ISO files as a virual drive. I've never had the need until now but I know they are out there. I've occasionally used Nero's Image Drive to do that sort of thing with their .nrg images but didn't want to convert this one.

I did a google search on Mount ISO image and found this page:

http://weblogs.asp.net/pleloup/archive/2004/01/15/58918.aspx

Sure enough Microsoft has one and I had my .iso mounted in under 30 seconds without a reboot or anything... works great!

Check it out for yourself. I'll report back as I use it but by default it mounted it as the W: drive which is fine by me. (although I'm sure I could have changed it if I really wanted)
(Microsoft Direct Link to the page)
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...d58df02efa2/winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe

yeah, i tried to see if there was an article or anything to go along with the virtual drive program, but i found nothing explaining it or how it came to be. looking through those MSDN forum postings, it seems like more folks reccomend daemon tools, one person even could not use the ms virtual drive tool to install his SDK, but daemon tools worked fine.

It is definitely a must have for anyone who has many ISOs. It was originally part of the MS Powertoys, but for unknown reasons, it is not found doing any searches on MS website.

For me, I use it exclusively on all my systems and client systems. It is very lightweight, hasn't caused any issues on any system, and does what I need it to do with minimal fuss.

Yeah worked great for me thus far. Can't wait to put it through the ringer at work.

Nero will mount .iso images. I use Alcohol 52% for my drive virtualization needs.

ThreeDee said:
I sure hope MS releases a Linux version soon ...

:p

Of all the things they could port, etc. :p
(Personally, I'm fascinated by Rotor. For some reason their SharedSource .net compiler and runtime works on windows, MacOS X and ... FreeBSD.)

SJConsultant said:
Works fine for Server 2003 and SBS 2003. ;)

A BARTPE CD with this util, and all my server drivers and a 40 gig HD allows me to install whatever OS I want. I've been using it for about 2 years.

Banko said:
You do know you can just mount .iso's with the mount command right?
lol ..naww ..really?!

yes I do know that ..but you can never have too many ways to mount an iso in linux!

:p

[F]old|[H]ard

Back