Windows #4: 2000
Windows #5: XP
Windows #6: Vista
Windows #7:7
Windows #8: 8
Windows #9: 10

this is the same stupid company that named xbox 3 "xbox one"

I SEE WINDOW DROP SHADOWS!!!!

Yeah, that alone makes me happy. The UI/UX still needs quite a bit of work (why is there a search button on the task bar and the same feature on the start button???) but the shadows at least lets me know they have some sort of design team :)

Again the question remains where the fuck is version 9? Again and again Microsoft tries to get cute and falls on it's face. Millenium, Vista, 8/8.1 and now 10. What are these idiots thinking? :rolleyes:

Windows XP is a pretty bad name too. The Windows Experince. Lame. Oh wait you like that one so the name is cool, Got it.

more importantly, the major releases of windows:

Windows #1: 3.1
Windows #2: 95
Windows #3: 98
Windows #4: 2000
Windows #5: XP
Windows #6: Vista
Windows #7:7
Windows #8: 8
Windows #9: 10

this is the same stupid company that named xbox 3 "xbox one"

Huh? Windows 1 and 2 weren't major releases!? Wouldn't it be 3.0 instead of 3.1?

I'm guess they noticed that people hate windows 8 so much that they decided to skip 9 and just go to 10 just to be safe? Or maybe counting is no longer a standard that appeals to microsoft.

I wonder if it will launch with directx13.

Huh? Windows 1 and 2 weren't major releases!? Wouldn't it be 3.0 instead of 3.1?

I was thinking maybe it was just Windows and not DOS based, but 3.1 was still Windows on top of DOS... 3.11 was Windows for Workgroups. Maybe the first successful Windows?

I don't really know on that list...

Looks like a more desktop friendly 8.1, sounds great to me. Will be nice to not install Start8 anymore.

They could call it "Dildo on a Stick" for all I care. Whatever it ends up being, it has be better than my current Windows 7 for me to switch to it cause I'm still perfectly happy with it. Windows 8 couldn't get me even the slightest bit interested and I haven't missed a thing skipping it. This new one better give me a reason.

Just HyperV support, Native ISO support, Fast booting from a suspended kernel, a revamped task manager, better integration of server manager, and support for properly scaling applications that can be built on a new framework. (And each individual "app" gets it's own monitoring for CPU time, network utilization, and can be limited on a per app basis) Nothing noteworthy at all.. :p

I can't wait to see 10 come out and hopefully take the groundwork laid by Windows 8 and bring the UI changes to make it come together. I like my legacy apps as much as anyone else but the design of universal apps has a lot of potential. Making it so that programs can be regulated on bandwidth usage if you are on a limited connection, automatically scaling correctly so it's readable whether you're using a 50" 720p or a 4K 10" screen. Then making it so that when I'm docked I can quickly handle a task using my keyboard and mouse, but still making the program work well when I undock and carry the computer around. If you use programs like putty on a touchscreen or surf the web from your HTPC, you've probably already recognized that older applications are simply not dynamic enough. The modern UI app has laid the groundwork for universal apps so they can work seamlessly wherever you need it to.

Windows 10? Why should I "upgrade" to an operating system made by people who can't count.

Also, I don't want metro on the start menu. I want the standard two-column TEXT layout. Metro tiles are for children and the dimwitted who are easily amused; they waste screen space and add useless distraction.

So when can we download the beta and how long will it last?

As far as how long, they're supposed to be using a new update process such that OS is supposed to be updateable to the latest and great features throughout the preview cycle.

Its to signify change.
A break from the old.
Its One Microsoft now
Talk about wanting to create distance.
First they alienate their customers and then themselves from their own product

This explains why Windows 9 is free upgrade to Windows 8 users. Essentially you get nothing for free, heh.

They just said Wednesday the 1st, no actually time of time but I'm guessing no later than 1 PM ET.

Just FYI about the next generation of Windows, on behalf of everyone else who's been in an OS-related thread over the last two years -- We told you so. :p

Also, Windows 10...whatever. I'm on the "meh" scale too. Minty Linux and LibreOffice work pretty well for me so IDC what Microsoft is doing. :)

The number skipping is nonsense. They should have just gave it an all-new name, like Windows Prime.

Might scare the customers away. The last two Windows with names didn't fare too well.

Just FYI about the next generation of Windows, on behalf of everyone else who's been in an OS-related thread over the last two years -- We told you so. :p

Also, Windows 10...whatever. I'm on the "meh" scale too. Minty Linux and LibreOffice work pretty well for me so IDC what Microsoft is doing. :)

You are Minty fresh Scope for your OS? I did not know you could install a liquid to a hard drive? :eek::p

Who gives a crap what it's named? If it works and works well they could call it "Bob's Desktop undergarments" and I'd be okay with it....

You are Minty fresh Scope for your OS? I did not know you could install a liquid to a hard drive? :eek::p

You've gotta ignore the smoke and fire that happens when you're pouring, but it works really well after that! Totally recommended for anyone with extra mouthwash around they don't plan to use for dental hygiene.

I was thinking Vista and ME when I wrote my comment.

Oooh, I got it! I guess XP wasn't really a name or anything and ME stood for Moollenium Edition or something (the cows loved it when Microsoft acknowledged their contributions to society like 20 years ago when they had their own OS).

I just hope they will redo the entire GUI because I really hate that stupid flat look of Metro UI or whatever its called and please ditch the Vista icons as well, how long is Microsoft planning to use it on their future version of Windows?

Who gives a crap what it's named? If it works and works well they could call it "Bob's Desktop undergarments" and I'd be okay with it....

The return of Microsoft Bob? You called it. In a few years, when Bob is re-released, you get credit!

Oooh, I got it! I guess XP wasn't really a name or anything and ME stood for Moollenium Edition or something (the cows loved it when Microsoft acknowledged their contributions to society like 20 years ago when they had their own OS).

XP was short for eXPerience.

QFT
You and I have been at this game since Windows 8 was announced, but no one listened.

So, we can enjoy our Minty fresh OS while everyone else is still wondering what happened to Windows 9. :D

Well yeah!

p49s.jpg

XP was short for eXPerience.

I didn't know that. But yeah, I guess someone should tell Azhar. Do you wanna say it or should I do it?

QFT
You and I have been at this game since Windows 8 was announced, but no one listened.

So, we can enjoy our Minty fresh OS while everyone else is still wondering what happened to Windows 9. :D

Yup, I <3 Mint and 17.1 is coming soon which is exciting and even better because it's all numeric and sequential with the whole following after Mint 17 thing. I might still have to put up with Windows computers on at least one laptop because of school, but as soon as I'm done, so will any and all Windows-ness except for work type junk that I don't get a choice about.

Just HyperV support, Native ISO support, Fast booting from a suspended kernel, a revamped task manager, better integration of server manager, and support for properly scaling applications that can be built on a new framework. (And each individual "app" gets it's own monitoring for CPU time, network utilization, and can be limited on a per app basis) Nothing noteworthy at all.. :p

I can't wait to see 10 come out and hopefully take the groundwork laid by Windows 8 and bring the UI changes to make it come together. I like my legacy apps as much as anyone else but the design of universal apps has a lot of potential. Making it so that programs can be regulated on bandwidth usage if you are on a limited connection, automatically scaling correctly so it's readable whether you're using a 50" 720p or a 4K 10" screen. Then making it so that when I'm docked I can quickly handle a task using my keyboard and mouse, but still making the program work well when I undock and carry the computer around. If you use programs like putty on a touchscreen or surf the web from your HTPC, you've probably already recognized that older applications are simply not dynamic enough. The modern UI app has laid the groundwork for universal apps so they can work seamlessly wherever you need it to.

This is all well and good but the main issue people have with Windows 8 is the UI. The UI is simply terrible and adoption rates and public perception matter to the bottom line at MS. MS wants to make money. Low adoption rates mean less money and angry system builders.

Ultimately the CEO finally listened and the hipster with teenager long haircuts that created the Windows 8 UI and thought it was a great idea will have very little input into Windows 10 this time around.

Now we know why they said that windows 8 users can upgrade to 9 for free. there is no windows 9

Back