Microsoft Unveils First Look At Windows 10

FINALLY multiple desktops. I never understood why this was not done in 7. They had a 3D based desktop and yes... they needed to copy linux for it I'm sure. One of my favorite things about Ubuntu really.

FINALLY multiple desktops. I never understood why this was not done in 7. They had a 3D based desktop and yes... they needed to copy linux for it I'm sure. One of my favorite things about Ubuntu really.

That is strange considering that Mac OS X has had Spaces since 2007, and you know that they probably have quite a few Macs running in Redmond for testing *cough* inspiration *cough*. :D

That is strange considering that Mac OS X has had Spaces since 2007, and you know that they probably have quite a few Macs running in Redmond for testing *cough* inspiration *cough*. :D

My thoughts exactly, I was like WTF it looks like MAC OS X.

Well if you can't beat them, join them.

dun dun dun...

The dude in the video was annoying BUT the video is well worth a watch.

Based on the few features he demonstrated, that should take care of pretty much all the UI issues people were having. It all looks intuitive as hell, we get the start menu back, and apps can run on the desktop, as well as be minimized and maximized.

It might be that Windows apps will get a TON more use if we can use the same thing on a Windows phone and have it in a legit window on the desktop PC also. In theory, things like the mail and weather apps might suddenly get very useful.

This pretty much puts in the stuff I'd like to intuitively do on 8 now, but can't.

As for the rest? Don't care as long as DX12 works and the OS doesn't have performance issues.

The number skipping is nonsense. They should have just gave it an all-new name, like Windows Prime.

Windows 7 was also technically incorrect. This isnt the first badly named windows.

Personally, I think they named it '10' to make it seem like a bigger platform difference, since they now offer universally binaries phone -> PC (which is actually very cool).

Still, I think "Threshold" would have been a better name.

And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out."

They could call it "Dildo on a Stick" for all I care. Whatever it ends up being, it has be better than my current Windows 7 for me to switch to it cause I'm still perfectly happy with it. Windows 8 couldn't get me even the slightest bit interested and I haven't missed a thing skipping it. This new one better give me a reason.

And how many 40 year olds wish they had enough hair to pull that off? Welcome to [H]aircutForum.

Uh, isn't that the point? He isn't really "pulling it off". I'll agree with it being overall a hipster 2.0 vibe with the background colors and music.

Uh, isn't that the point? He isn't really "pulling it off". I'll agree with it being overall a hipster 2.0 vibe with the background colors and music.

A lot of guys in their 40s are more worried about having hair than haircuts is all I was saying.

A lot of guys in their 40s are more worried about having hair than haircuts is all I was saying.

Hair cut? I get mine mowed. Maybe a shrub trimmer. When it grows, it grows up and not down. I'm 39, and probably not going bald for a long time. I hate my hair. I have to keep it mowed all the time. :)

Well..... since we are getting technical....

These were old DOS based windows
Windows 95 = 4.0
Windows 95OSR2 = 4.01 - 4.03
Windows 98 = 4.1
Windows 98SE = 4.11
Windows ME = 4.2

These were not DOS based and completely different versions of windows
Windows NT 3.1 = 3.1
Windows NT 3.5 = 3.5
Windows NT 3.51 = 3.51
Windows NT 4.0 = 4.0
Windows 2000 = 5.0
Windows XP = 5.1
Windows XP 64bit/Server 2003 = 5.2
Windows Vista/Server 2008 = 6.0
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 = 6.1
Windows 8/Server 2012 = 6.2
Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2 = 6.3
Windows 10 = 7.0 or 6.4??

Hypothetical question, what would happen if MS released one of its sunsetted OS's (e.g. XP) to the public domain?
It's not public domain, but Microsoft released the sources for the Windows XP / Server 2003 kernel ages ago. You can look inside, tinker, compile your own kernel, and run your own OS based on your custom kernel.

The Windows Research Kernel includes sources for the following Windows components:
  • Processes
  • Threads
  • LPC
  • Virtual memory
  • Scheduler
  • Object manager
  • I/O manager
  • Synchronization
  • Worker threads
  • Kernel heap manager
  • Other core Windows (NTOS) kernel functionality

These were old DOS based windows
Windows 95 = 4.0
Windows 95OSR2 = 4.01 - 4.03
Windows 98 = 4.1
Windows 98SE = 4.11
Windows ME = 4.2

These were NT versions of windows
Windows NT 3.1 = 3.1
Windows NT 3.5 = 3.5
Windows NT 3.51 = 3.51
Windows NT 4.0 = 4.0
Windows 2000 = 5.0
Windows XP = 5.1
Windows XP 64bit/Server 2003 = 5.2
Windows Vista/Server 2008 = 6.0
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 = 6.1
Windows 8/Server 2012 = 6.2
Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2 = 6.3

Fixed

Skipping 9 aside, at least they kept the name simple with incrementing numbers instead of coming up with some new "trendy" brand, or completely tossing all naming sense and calling it "Windows 8 R2 Update 1" (which I'm sure they'll still do for the server version).

Hair cut? I get mine mowed. Maybe a shrub trimmer. When it grows, it grows up and not down. I'm 39, and probably not going bald for a long time. I hate my hair. I have to keep it mowed all the time. :)

Other than some grey, I have the same problem, and I'm over 50.
If I don't get it cut every couple months it starts looking like that guys hair.

Guess it's better than the alternative..... :)

It's not public domain, but Microsoft released the sources for the Windows XP / Server 2003 kernel ages ago. You can look inside, tinker, compile your own kernel, and run your own OS based on your custom kernel.

Some developers and other people close to Microsoft can get access to parts of the newer OS kernels, too. Just strict NDA's and all that good stuff. Obviously, not all the source code, but just what you need. I don't know how much, because I don't need to see it or use it, so I didn't ask. :)

My thoughts exactly, I was like WTF it looks like MAC OS X.

Well if you can't beat them, join them.

dun dun dun...

LOL at you guys thinking OSX had multiple desktops first. Has been around in linux well before 2007.

I'm curious as to if MS is tracking users more and more as the Windows OS's progress (or at all).
Are we being monitored with Windows like we are with the Android OS?

So basically, Windows 10 is Windows 8.1 with all the Stardock apps (Start8, ModernMix, ect) preinstalled.

It's already confirmed to be 6.4 Major version changes broke a lot of programs between XP and Vista due to people hard-coding version checks, so they rather not go through that again for as long as possible.

I'm curious as to if MS is tracking users more and more as the Windows OS's progress (or at all).
Are we being monitored with Windows like we are with the Android OS?
Much of the core OS "tracking" is opt in (crash logs, etc). The other portions which rely on Microsoft's own online services probably collect as much data as Apple does for OS X and iOS, meaning that information is collected for internal purposes and not for targeted advertising in general. Android is in another class. :p Google or other similar ad sellers collects as much as it can and attempts to track individual users (as a profile) in order to serve ads that stalk you everywhere.

And how many 40 year olds wish they had enough hair to pull that off? Welcome to [H]aircutForum.

Good lord, even getting defensive about the hair of MS employees? Is there no limit to the fan-vestor madness?

Regardless, I don't agree with the indictment that Belfiore is lispy or "swishy" and takes in a guaranteed three musicals a month with the ankle dolphin tat to back it up. I watched Harvey Milk so step off.

LOL at you guys thinking OSX had multiple desktops first. Has been around in linux well before 2007.

I was running multiple desktops on IRIX, HPUX, os/2, and windows 95 long before that. It's really not a novel concept, and was of much more utility back when monitor resolutions were itty bitty.

Back