Microsoft U-Turn On 'Nasty Trick' Pop-Up

HardOCP News

[H] News
To be honest, July 29th can't get here soon enough. Why? Because, like most of you, every computer in my house that I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10, has been upgraded. Microsoft's incessant nagging to upgrade my remaining PCs is about to drive me crazy. :(

Microsoft told the BBC it had modified the pop-up two weeks ago as a result of criticism: "We've added another notification that confirms the time of the scheduled upgrade and provides the customer an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade. "If the customer wishes to continue with their upgrade at the designated time, they can click 'OK' or close the notifications with no further action needed."

They created malware for their own customers and pushed it out to them so, I'm pretty much done with Microsoft and will just have to be content using OSX on my laptop from now on. ;)

They created malware for their own customers and pushed it out to them so, I'm pretty much done with Microsoft and will just have to be content using OSX on my laptop from now on. ;)

Maybe it's a lack of familiarity with it, but I feel like gouging out my eyes every time I'm forced to use OSX.

Last Mac OS I used was OS8, and it was glorious.

Are you talking about the laptop in your sig? If so, OSX cannot be legally used on that machine but, it is yours so......

Enable the Turn off windows upgrade policy for home domain and never get nagged again. One of the best policies ever made.
I can still upgrade if/when I like, however the nagging has stopped.:happy:

So I'd like to know how much money MS is making by data mining and WHO is paying them. I mean, in my opinion, there HAS to be some monetary gain in order for a company to give a shit this much and basically control their customers computers so that they can install whatever they want on it.

In other words...what's MS's game here? What is it they're trying to accomplish? Why is it that with Windows 10 they, all of a sudden, care SO FUCKING MUCH about what version of Windows people are running? We've never ever had any push like this with any previous versions of Windows so why now? What are they gaining?

So I'd like to know how much money MS is making by data mining and WHO is paying them. I mean, in my opinion, there HAS to be some monetary gain in order for a company to give a shit this much and basically control their customers computers so that they can install whatever they want on it.

In other words...what's MS's game here? What is it they're trying to accomplish? Why is it that with Windows 10 they, all of a sudden, care SO FUCKING MUCH about what version of Windows people are running? We've never ever had any push like this with any previous versions of Windows so why now? What are they gaining?

Bingo! Sadly, the fanatics will ignore this or better yet, fight you to the bitter end.

Funny how the apologists are ok with what basically is malware (forced install and dont forget, keylogger built in), yet when Ubuntu added an online search (which was possible to turn off, unlike the crap in W10), everyone went crazy about it.

Bingo! Sadly, the fanatics will ignore this or better yet, fight you to the bitter end.

Funny how the apologists are ok with what basically is malware (forced install and dont forget, keylogger built in), yet when Ubuntu added an online search (which was possible to turn off, unlike the crap in W10), everyone went crazy about it.
The worst ones are the ones that say "Quit whining and just do the upgrade, its free." Yeah ok let me just bend over and get fucked, no lube.

My guess is that they use it for bing and other services they offer.

See to me this is some bullshit. I BET they're using it for it "other services"...

No, if they cared so much about improving their services then they would have pushed Vista and Windows 7 just as hard. There's something else going on here. You really think MS cares that much about improving their customers satisfaction levels with their services when they won't even let their customers choose which OS they're satisfied with?

See to me this is some bullshit. I BET they're using it for it "other services"...

No, if they cared so much about improving their services then they would have pushed Vista and Windows 7 just as hard. There's something else going on here. You really think MS cares that much about improving their customers satisfaction levels with their services when they won't even let their customers choose which OS they're satisfied with?

I wasn't saying it was for customer satisfaction. I figured that it's to drive bing ad revenue. I seriously doubt it's altruistic.

I wasn't saying it was for customer satisfaction. I figured that it's to drive bing ad revenue. I seriously doubt it's altruistic.

Oh well alright in that case I agree. Your OP didn't hint at this strong enough I suppose.

Oh well alright in that case I agree. Your OP didn't hint at this strong enough I suppose.

Ad revenue, a cut from the Microsoft Store for transactions on new software (of course, MS needs to push the store more, hence advertising in your start menu), and, probably the most altruistic part, making Windows easier to support and maintain. But yes. Not altruistic overall.

And this is why I've disabled the Windows Update service entirely.

I turn it on occasionally to do manual updates, then disable it again.

To be honest, July 29th can't get here soon enough. Why? Because, like most of you, every computer in my house that I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10, has been upgraded. Microsoft's incessant nagging to upgrade my remaining PCs is about to drive me crazy. :(

Microsoft told the BBC it had modified the pop-up two weeks ago as a result of criticism: "We've added another notification that confirms the time of the scheduled upgrade and provides the customer an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade. "If the customer wishes to continue with their upgrade at the designated time, they can click 'OK' or close the notifications with no further action needed."

Steve, Just goto Most Popular Freeware on GRC.COM, and D/L Steve Gibson's Never 10. Once installed it should make MS' sales pitches go away, but still let you install Windows X, anytime you want to.

i had a machine upgrade to Win10 at the office here and we need Pro to run our account software (for some unknown bullshit reason) so i login to the store with my account which has the company CC saved, upgrade 10 home to 10 pro, and all of a sudden it flips the users account over to my live account i used for the store, changes their wallpaper to one i used of my dogs, changed their display picture to mine, starts pulling in email from my hotmail account on the mail app.... lol

i wanted to upgrade the damn machine not replicate my home pc on a users machine... took longer to flip it back to a local account, remove my account, remove my pics, wallpapers and email than the actual upgrade took

i had a machine upgrade to Win10 at the office here and we need Pro to run our account software (for some unknown bullshit reason) so i login to the store with my account which has the company CC saved, upgrade 10 home to 10 pro, and all of a sudden it flips the users account over to my live account i used for the store, changes their wallpaper to one i used of my dogs, changed their display picture to mine, starts pulling in email from my hotmail account on the mail app.... lol

i wanted to upgrade the damn machine not replicate my home pc on a users machine... took longer to flip it back to a local account, remove my account, remove my pics, wallpapers and email than the actual upgrade took
I think tying live accounts to the computer accounts is one of the stupidest decisions MS made, and then almost tricking the user into creating a live account if they dont have one because on the new user setup the "login with local account" is a smaller hidden text. Also it makes a it a giant pain in the ass when working at a computer repair store (like i did two years ago) and trying to get into a users machine that only has live accounts. Why? because if they dont remember their password (which happens a lot with elderly customers) the only way you can get into the machine is by going through the forgot password process through Live. With local accounts all you need is a hirens disc and you can remove the password. Try walking an 80 year old man over the phone through the forgot password process just to log into the machine multiple times a day and you'll want to end life.

2 months to do a "fake" windows 10 upgrade on my home systems, just to make sure I have a license if I ever need it.

1. Clone the Windows 7 system drive to a spare SSD.
2. Disconnect the existing drive and plug in just the clone SSD drive.
3. Upgrade to windows 10 from a thumb drive (Faster) - Make sure the Windows 10 has an active license.
4. Disconnect the Windows 10 SSD and swap the cables back to the Windows 7 system drive.
5. Wipe the SSD and move on to the next system.

Then, if I ever decide to switch to Windows 10 in the future, I can do a fresh install or an upgrade since the system will already have a Windows 10 key on Microsoft's servers.

The exception is my HTPC. That will stay on Windows 7 as long as Media Center still works with my cable card turner.
If Microsoft kills the Channel guide updates, then I'll no longer need the PC or the Windows 7 it's running.

Yet there are plenty of people that use Android and Chrome without a second thought. Those people are in the majority.
The majority don't seem to care.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Microsoft wonders why people aren't adopting fast enough, are worried about "privacy" and "security", don't trust them etc....? Well, this is just one small piece of why. Look, I understand making your upgrade available, letting people know its free (and SHOULD benefit both MS and their users etc)... but this kind of behavior is what has given pause to everyone who has not wanted to upgrade. Combine this with sleazy "if you're not a tech-hobbyist at least, you'll probably fall into it" tricks like nvgrim mentions regarding local accounts, the fact that you can only turn off some of their spying/"telemetry" and then they admitted later that if you don't have Win10 Enterprise, it pretty much IGNORES your choice, the fact that to disable some or most of the data mining, advertising, and profiling you need 3rd party tools etc... and is it any wonder that people aren't falling over themselves for the "Free" upgrade. Especially in our poisoned tech culture where "Doesn't cost money" (or sometimes, even if it does) permits any number of egregious privacy violations from Facebook to Google, "Free" is a high price to stomach. Microsoft had the chance to be the "bigger man", to say "You might think we're old fashioned, but we were around back when your OS stayed on your PC and didn't try to grab for your advertising. " While they've clearly done old school unethical Microsoft things in the past, (ie NSAKey in WinXP ) but they could have at least avoided taking up the new "Web 2.0 privacy obliterating, data mining" sort of exploration that others assure are perfectly normal.

Worse, MS seems to be doubling down on its mistakes and only backpedaling in the meanest of ways (a la the "Nasty Trick" ). If they seemed receptive to the complaints of the populace, especially about privacy issues, and then made changes, they could probably allay many fears and objections. For instance, they could rewrote the "we can do anything we want" TOS/EULA explicitly stating that information will only be gathered by Win10, / Cortana and the like will be anonymous when possible and even when it isn't, will only be used to provide services to the user, will be end-to-end encrypted, and will be purged after X number of days. All their hallmark features, like Cortana etc.. .people can understand that they need to know things about you to use them. For instance, it can't set a map destination or call a contact without access to them, it can't suggest a nearby restaurant without some sort of geolocation etc... so that's okay. The issue, is because of these dirty tricks and a TOS that states we can take pictures of you, record your voice, upload your files, etc...at any time, and for any reason, people are understandably skeptical its all being done to provide them a service. Then they do things like reserve the right to embed ads and suggestions in your fucking start menu - another issue that needs to be stopped or at least, able to be toggled off. These kind of fixes, along with allowing the Windows Store applications to have their files fully visible etc.. could go a long way toward making Win10 more palatable.

Win10, if all these issues were fixed, could easily act as the "next Win7" to become the dominant Windows OS, but they're shooting themselves in the foot, grasping defeat from the jaws of victory. Personally I hope it will encourage more people to seek out Linux and other Libre and open source software, but I'd much rather have a 'decent" Windows offering around than a monstrous, exploitative one.

Sure, but the guy has pretty much declared every version of Windows as some sort of catastrophe.

In your unbiased opinion I'm sure (lol), but has fuckall to do with the merits of his Never 10 tool for introducing choice and options to 10 that MS should have built in by default.

And if nothing else, any sweeping statements he made about prior versions of Windows serve as a counterbalance to those shills and astroturfers that insist every new version is "amazing, stupendous, all the Folks are flocking to it".

And if nothing else, any sweeping statements he made about prior versions of Windows serve as a counterbalance to those shills and astroturfers that insist every new version is "amazing, stupendous, all the Folks are flocking to it".

Really, who says all of this? I get that there are people that don't like Windows or specifically Windows 10 for various reasons. But there are reasons that I like and use it. Different people, different experiences. If I had the problems that you and others constantly mentioned I have no idea how I'd have been able to use it on the devices that I do without constant issues.

The worst ones are the ones that say "Quit whining and just do the upgrade, its free." Yeah ok let me just bend over and get fucked, no lube.

MS should at the very least take me out to dinner first... Cause I like to be wined and dined before I get FUCKED.

Sure, but the guy has pretty much declared every version of Windows as some sort of catastrophe.
lets see... Windows1.0, Windows BOB, WindowsME, WindowsVista, Windows8.0, WindowsRT His hitrate isn't too bad

Reactions: DPI
like this

Dont forget the other famous response "Oh, but you are ok in using (insert other brand here) instead"

I think tying live accounts to the computer accounts is one of the stupidest decisions MS made, and then almost tricking the user into creating a live account if they dont have one because on the new user setup the "login with local account" is a smaller hidden text. Also it makes a it a giant pain in the ass when working at a computer repair store (like i did two years ago) and trying to get into a users machine that only has live accounts. Why? because if they dont remember their password (which happens a lot with elderly customers) the only way you can get into the machine is by going through the forgot password process through Live. With local accounts all you need is a hirens disc and you can remove the password. Try walking an 80 year old man over the phone through the forgot password process just to log into the machine multiple times a day and you'll want to end life.

BTW: I AM 80 YEARS OLD, and have no Problem going through the "Forgot Password" process, or any other needs on my Computer, since first being forced to use them, back about 1972, or so.

Last edited:
not all 80 yr olds, or users of any other age group, are as sharp as you :)

Yeah, most of my friends are either in the "Vaya Con Dios" section of a FORBPO Magazine I subscribe to, or have given up on Computers, because they now tell me that "They are too Complex/Complicated" for them Now-A-Days?

As with most things I think the truth is in the middle...

Personally I LOVE the idea of syncing my profile to the cloud. I am actually sorta miffed that OneDrive isn't supported better, the default profile/locations should sync easily imo (out of the box). Rather I have had to change library paths to set that up etc which I understand but few others will. I guess I never really thought about the local account issue. It would be nice to have a guest or temp admin account or something but no matter what you will always have remember a never used account and password forgetfulness issues.

I was just at a MS conference and the MS SCCM devs were VERY open about the telemetry they collect. As a matter of fact in the newer versions you can't get upgrades unless you enable the telemetry or upload telemetry manually run from systems not connected to the internet. They even showed the data, and explained that they hashed a good amount of data (anything that could be identifying) with a oneway hash. They even provided the PS script to create the hash so we could confirm and double check the data.

Could they be doing a dog and pony show? Sure I suppose. Could the Windows team be more evil and not use the data for telemetry only? Sure. But come on tinfoil hat. MS is pushing Windows 10 because they want to push adoption and ultimately the store and the 30% of sales they will get from it. After that they will then try the subscription model. I would certainly agree they seem to be a bit heavy handed with the nags, I certainly can't fault anyone complaining about constant pop ups, annoyances and self scheduled OS upgrades.

I would also add I am set against adding those stupid MS store suggested apps ads in the start menu. Though I still think the telemetry complaints are a bit much. Though it probably should be easier to disable, I mean come on how many people would? The 10% techie crowd?

Did anyone use/review DWS_Lite that scrubs a lot of the malware in win10?

I have a Hiren's boot disk but have never noticed that tool. What is it called?
I believe its called "offline windows 7/vista/xp pasword removal tool" Or something like that. Its super handy when working on customers computers.

Windows 7 at work, OSX at home.

Don't miss windows at all.

I'll go linux before I go back.

Well the NSA and the rest of the professional perves are probably sick of having to sift data, then have various backdoors and attack methods for various machines based upon that data, takes time and $ to develop them.
With Win 10 (and prior versions which were more easily understood/fixed), they likely want to work on offline data storage acquisition/access, plus various aspects of user behaviour which they can't pick up by raping fibre cables under the sea and in your exchanges. Commercial espionage prevention tactics will have also likely adapted, as people learn that almost anything communicated is insecure, let alone if someone has access to created data on a machine.

I'd say Win10 is all about access and reporting/info mining.

Five eyes aka Echelon when it was still a 'conspiracy' 10+ years ago is a powerful group.

Let alone the advertising industry..

I believe its called "offline windows 7/vista/xp pasword removal tool" Or something like that. Its super handy when working on customers computers.

OK, thanks. Doubt I will ever need it anyway because I write my password down and keep it safe.

Yep. I only upgrade when there are improvements, and W10 isn't.

Back