Microsoft Tossing Hat in Skype’s Ring?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Skype must feel like the bell of the ball having three suitors, all vying for its attention. Add one more to the jumbled mess that is corporate acquisitions; Microsoft is now reported to be interested in acquiring Skype. You have Facebook, Google and Microsoft all presenting offers to Skype to either buy it outright or become partners. That would have to be the best position a company could ever wish for.

However today's GigaOm report claims via its own sources that some kind of major deal will be announced by Skype sometime this week "perhaps as soon as Monday."

I hope its microsoft that buys skype, not facebook or google.

Skype integration with wp7...mmm...

I hope microsoft doesn't buy skype. Microsoft has a history of coming up with things or investing in things then dropping it like a hot potato. It seems everything they touch they mess up then walk away from, locking the patents up for 50+ years so no one can in and pick up the pieces.

Belle, belle is the word you're looking for.

From Dictionary.com:
bell
–noun
1. a hollow instrument of cast metal, typically cup-shaped with a flaring mouth, suspended from the vertex and rung by the strokes of a clapper, hammer, or the like.
2. the stroke or sound of such an instrument: We rose at the bell.
3. anything in the form of a bell.
belle
–noun
1. a woman or girl admired for her beauty and charm.
2. the most beautiful, charming, or engaging woman or girl among a number: the belle of the ball.

I hope microsoft doesn't buy skype. Microsoft has a history of coming up with things or investing in things then dropping it like a hot potato. It seems everything they touch they mess up then walk away from, locking the patents up for 50+ years so no one can in and pick up the pieces.

I didn't realize they do this. Any examples? Also isn't MS heavily invested in FB?

Microsoft Lync.

I've been running it for a while at work now. It has a bunch of features that are better than Skype, but is really lacking is some places that Skype excels. Combining Skype and Lync would produce an awesome product.

I hope Skype doesn't become like GroupOn and says no thanks we can make billions on our own. I still think they are idiots.

Blatant MS trolling. Just about every consumer market that MS has got involved in, has benefited from their entry. MS Lync as pointed out, is pretty cool to begin with and to have those two merged would be nothing short of awesome.

skype+google is my vote, i would love to integrate my gmail with skype so i only have to go to gmail.com to get everything. It would be like that now but everyone i know uses skype instead of google talk :S

Haven't touched Microsoft Lync yet, hadn't even heard of it this thread actually so I'll spend time with it soon enough, and while I've had a Skype account seemingly forever now I don't actually use it. I signed up for Google Voice almost as soon as it was available and never bothered with it (yeah, total dumbass, I know) but just recently I kept having this feeling in the back of my mind that was trying to tell me something and I finally had that "AHA!" kind of moment when I realized "HEY, I've got a Google Voice account" and I started using it finally.

DUH... and it works fantastic, absolutely and without question it does exactly what I expect it to do. I don't own a headset-mic presently so I plug my Koss KSC-75 earclips into my Dell D830 laptop and then use the built-in mic on the laptop and it's a non-issue and works great. Saves me time and trouble from having to hold my cell phone - which is prepaid so that's a double benefit: since Google Voice is currently letting me make free calls anywhere in the US I'm not 'wasting' minutes in that respect.

Fantastic stuff, really. I remember using a prototype app from AT&T for VoIP stuff way way back in early 1997, the precursor to what eventually turned into PowWow if anyone remembers that. That AT&T app wasn't made public, and I was using it on a dialup connection (56K, w00t!) and I swear it sounded FANTASTIC and... it was multiple user at the same time. Yep, it was: I had conversations with people I knew from IRC and that was nearly 15 years ago now, over dialup, and it sounded like a real actual conference call with multiple people.

Amazing... ;)

I wouldn't have an issue if Skype decided to either work directly with Microsoft or if Microsoft acquired Skype completely. I think it would be a fantastic merger or acquisition and we'd all benefit from it.

Google Voice doesn't need help at this point, and Skype wouldn't be bringing anything to the table they aren't already quite capable of, but Microsoft would get the more widespread usage really into swing, especially if they were to make actual VoIP a direct part of Windows 8 or whatever they'll eventually call it.

Skype + Kinect = super easy video chat.

Certainly easier than paying for the special usb camera that goes with my plasma to use Skype on it.

I don't want FB to have it, I don't have an FB account, and I don't want one to be able to use skype if thats their thought. I sure hope were not going in the Borg collective thinking;) but I have skype for when I need it. I don't use MS other then the OS,so keep my fingers crossed it will be google. Any other good rational thoughts on this topic.

Skype must feel like the bell of the ball having three suitors.

I hope there is a typo here: bell doesn't ring true i think you meant "belle" as beautiful not bell as idiot of the ball.

This news takes a whole new way if we all consider skype an idiot to be courted by those 3 giants.

MS will present something tomorrow, everything points to a $7 billion purchase of Skype.

Hope I get to keep the Android Skype app.

Nice, I wonder if Microsoft will get rid of live after that? This should be interesting! /popcorn. :)

its a done deal, good now maybe MS will make Skype more "office" friendly in that it can be controlled with GPO's ad stuff.

Be awesome if it integrates well with Outlook. Would also seem to be a logical integration with WP7.

Back