Microsoft to Remove Ability to Install Win 11 Pro Without Being Online and Signing in to Microsoft Account

The source is the Dutch DPA's report, and the OP there contains screenshots from their report which detail differences between using a local account and a Microsoft account. It also contains a link to the report those screenshots are from. So, I don't know what you were looking through subsequent pages of the thread for.

I don't get feigning stupidity as a response to information you simply don't like being real. If the only response you can conjure is to play stupid, then you probably aren't actually playing at it, at all.
I'm less interested in stuff from 5 years ago that has changed and more interested in the here and now. If you want to talk about some Dutch DPA report, link that, don't link yourself from another forum.
Edit: Especially given that 2017 is _prior to_ GDPR, I am really failing to see how you're tying it together. You do you though, I only have so much energy for intentionally obtuse and misleading debate, and you've managed to sap it all up.
And since I'm sure some sort of "MS fanboi" type argument is sure to happen sooner or later - my daily drivers are Ubuntu 22.04 and MacOS, so, I don't even really have a strong stance here, other than questioning obvious misinformation.

Last edited:
I'm less interested in stuff from 5 years ago that has changed and more interested in the here and now. If you want to talk about some Dutch DPA report, link that, don't link yourself from another forum.
So, click the link in that post which goes directly to the report from which the screenshots detailing the difference between using a local vs Microsoft account in Windows are taken.

So much for reading two pages of that thread... you didn't even read the OP, hence your comments completely oblivious to what it contains.

Microsoft hasn't faced further restrictions from data privacy agencies since then.

I also edited into my previous post, in response to your remark about Microsoft's Data Viewer Tool: "Also, at the time of that report, Microsoft's Data Viewer Tool hadn't yet been made publicly available. I think the Data Viewer Tool also displays containers of data that's collected, and not the individuals elements of data within each container that is being transmitted to Microsoft.

Your comments are exemplary of someone who asked a question in bad faith and really didn't want to actually have it answered, and who is desperately deflecting after having had their question answered.

Edit: Especially given that 2017 is _prior to_ GDPR, I am really failing to see how you're tying it together. You do you though, I only have so much energy for intentionally obtuse and misleading debate, and you've managed to sap it all up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

"GDPR was adopted on 14 April 2016 and became enforceable beginning 25 May 2018"

:facepalm:

And since I'm sure some sort of "MS fanboi" type argument is sure to happen sooner or later - my daily drivers are Ubuntu 22.04 and MacOS, so, I don't even really have a strong stance here, other than questioning obvious misinformation.
You mean the information which annoyed you precisely by not being misinformation because it is true. You're being a cringy level of lame in your desperate attempts to downplay some simple facts about Microsoft's data-harvesting in Windows. I don't need to make a "MS fanboi" argument about you, as you seem to be determined to do that, yourself. Something is obviously making you wilfully dishonest and obfuscating about the topic.

Obviously, you asked your "Do you have sources available on this?" facetiously, arrogantly presuming there wouldn't be an answer. But there was one. And, oddly, it's made you lose your senses.

No. He's wrong, because he didn't say "before gdpr was in effect". He said:

But GDPR existed since 2016. 2018 was the date companies had to be in compliance with it by.
The intent of what I said is plain and obvious. The fact that you're attempting to use it as some sort of leverage just proves my previous points further. Ciao!

The intent of what I said is plain and obvious. The fact that you're attempting to use it as some sort of leverage just proves my previous points further. Ciao!
The intent of what you said is indeed plain and obvious: You aimed to obfuscate the fact that GDPR was already written and adopted by the EU, to try to create a fake appearance as though you had a legitimate angle of attack, when you didn't.

Unless your point is that you're exemplary of someone who desperately didn't want to have their bad-faith question answered, as I said, you haven't made any points that weren't already shown by me to be deliberate deflection, distortion, and attempts to strawman your way out of the answer you got to your question.

Your question, in response to me commenting about the difference between using a local and Microsoft account in Windows:
Do you have sources available on this?

The answer:
Microsoft has been running afoul of GDPR all along, while somehow not being held accountable to it. After a Dutch investigation found that Microsoft's data-harvesting in Windows 10 was excessive and in flagrant violation of GDPR, Microsoft agreed to reduce the data it collects at the Basic setting (the lowest possible setting in Home and Pro editions) by around half, leaving there still being something like 3,500 individual points of data which are collected at the Basic setting. EU privacy agencies arbitrarily decided that was enough of a reduction, and let it be - likely, Microsoft lobbied them or warned of some threat to their or the EU's business, and EU governments didn't want to push Microsoft too hard. But not only did an arbitrary reduction in data harvested not bring Windows into compliance with the letter of GDPR, but that amount has surely been expanded on since those earlier days of GDPR and the Dutch investigation into Windows, and then using a Microsoft account instead of a local account significantly increases the amount of data that's harvested even further.

You can read some of the differences between using a Microsoft account and a local account, here:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/850...ls-that-no-windows-10-telemetry-is-anonymous/

With a Microsoft account, much more data is collected, and all data collected from your PC is associated with a bunch of much more specific personal identifiers.

The bare minimum’s don’t contain any more data then the crash reports have contained since windows 95.
And that would be infinitely more data than should be sent from an OS that I don't want to be talking to the Internet.

Well, I now cannot use my main rig. It will not let me onto the desktop, this is the only thing that comes up with I boot the machine.

I'm assuming they finally pushed their update that forces pro users to log in as well.

20220824_064951.jpg

Nothing I've done so far can get around this thing. Looks like I'm gonna take the "remind me in 3 days" route and move back to windows 10.

Last edited:
Well, I now cannot use my main rig. It will not let me onto the desktop, this is the only thing that comes up with I boot the machine.

I'm assuming they finally pushed their update that forces pro users to log in as well.

View attachment 503407

Nothing I've done so far can get around this thing. Looks like I'm gonna take the "remind me in 3 days" route and move back to windows 10.
If you can find a way around it, it looks like you can disable this screen.
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enabl...sh-setting-up-your-device-in-windows-11.5205/

View attachment 503407

Yea this crap is randomly showing up on my PC too. It is more like once week then three days. I also notice it prolongs my windows boot time by a great deal. Like from instant to a min before it logs into windows when that prompt shows up.

If you can find a way around it, it looks like you can disable this screen.
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enabl...sh-setting-up-your-device-in-windows-11.5205/

Yeah those setting are already off unfortunately, it seems like every time the monthly update is coming out it forces me to do this. It popped up after I installed KB5015882 but I don't see anything on that update to cause this issue. I'm sick of getting these so I'll just go back to 10 until they force me.

Yeah those setting are already off unfortunately, it seems like every time the monthly update is coming out it forces me to do this. It popped up after I installed KB5015882 but I don't see anything on that update to cause this issue. I'm sick of getting these so I'll just go back to 10 until they force me.
Ah bummer. I've had it once but was able to get by somehow. I wonder if setting up a domain at home would fix it.

Ah bummer. I've had it once but was able to get by somehow.

Yeah man, this is like the 3rd time I've seen it and previously I was able to just reboot with the icon in the corner and get rid of it. I can't really understand why they're so hell bent on us being logged in.

Yeah man, this is like the 3rd time I've seen it and previously I was able to just reboot with the icon in the corner and get rid of it. I can't really understand why they're so hell bent on us being logged in.
What's not to understand? They want their advertisers to pay top dollar to spam you in the GUI of all MS applications, that value only increases if you can tie that "anonymous" info to an account only MS controls and can reverse engineer the origins of it when an advertiser pays extra for that particular service.

What's not to understand? They want their advertisers to pay top dollar to spam you in the GUI of all MS applications, that value only increases if you can tie that "anonymous" info to an account only MS controls and can reverse engineer the origins of it when an advertiser pays extra for that particular service.

I guess, but its not like they don't have literally every scrap of information on you already. Maybe by agreeing to the account they can "legally" use the info they've collected.

View attachment 503407

I'm on 11 Pro because of Alder Lake and I haven't ever gotten this. I installed with the no network method so never had a Microsoft account on this, although I do have one set up in the Microsoft store (but that's set up for store apps only).

Edit: I have the notifications turned off that are mentioned in post #531.

Last edited:
I guess, but its not like they don't have literally every scrap of information on you already. Maybe by agreeing to the account they can "legally" use the info they've collected.
If you read this thread you'll realize that despite what your are witnessing with your own eyes, you're clearly spreading FUD in claiming Microsoft wants to force MS accounts to log into Windows.

/s

I'm on 11 Pro because of Alder Lake and I haven't ever gotten this. I installed with the no network method so never had a Microsoft account on this, although I do have one set up in the Microsoft store (but that's set up for store apps only).

Edit: I have the notifications turned off that are mentioned in post #531.

Yeah I have them off too, I double checked. I turned them off the first time. It seems as if the "monthly" update is causing it to bring that menu up again, eventually there will be no options I'm guessing.

If you read this thread you'll realize that despite what your are witnessing with your own eyes, you're clearly spreading FUD in claiming Microsoft wants to force MS accounts to log into Windows.

/s

If you have nothing to hide blah blah blah lol

View attachment 503407

You realize if you click continue you can then it just asks you if you want to set any of those up and you just say no to each of them then it lets you continue on your marry way.

You realize if you click continue you can then it just asks you if you want to set any of those up and you just say no to each of them then it lets you continue on your marry way.
It doesn't allow me to do anything but setup/login to a MSN account. It wouldn't even let me go back to the first screen that asks if I want to postpone it for 3 days. I have to reboot my computer and it will let me go to the desktop at that point.

Yeah it used to, NOT ANY MORE. You're gonna have an account and you're going to enjoy it.

View attachment 503407

This is the most exaggerated sob-story bullshit I've read in a while. Not wanting to click on "Remind me in 3 days" means "I now cannot use my main rig. It will not let me onto the desktop"? :rolleyes:

I usually get this same popup right after a fresh install (which is something I actually do quite often on various computers). I considered looking into the purported registry tweaks that were supposed to get rid of it permanently, but it never came to that because in reality it does not pop up every 3 days, it almost never pops up at all. Maybe once every 6 months when a new feature update installs, it might pop up again. Instead of crying about it, I just click the damn "Remind me in 3 days" link and move on with life for another 6 months.

What's the purpose of trying to inflate this into some huge issue when the solution only takes one mouse click every 6 months?

eventually there will be no options I'm guessing.

Yeah most of the anti-Microsoft people in this thread have been "guessing" about this for years, but surprise surprise, the local account option is still there.

Yeah it used to, NOT ANY MORE. You're gonna have an account and you're going to enjoy it.

You pretend that the solution isn't right there in front of your face and then put this little act on as if you are being tortured. Sad.

I'm still using a local account on ALL of my computers and have not had to do anything special in order to make that happen.

This is the most exaggerated sob-story bullshit I've read in a while. Not wanting to click on "Remind me in 3 days" means "I now cannot use my main rig. It will not let me onto the desktop"? :rolleyes:

I usually get this same popup right after a fresh install (which is something I actually do quite often on various computers). I considered looking into the purported registry tweaks that were supposed to get rid of it permanently, but it never came to that because in reality it does not pop up every 3 days, it almost never pops up at all. Maybe once every 6 months when a new feature update installs, it might pop up again. Instead of crying about it, I just click the damn "Remind me in 3 days" link and move on with life for another 6 months.

What's the purpose of trying to inflate this into some huge issue when the solution only takes one mouse click every 6 months?

Yeah most of the anti-Microsoft people in this thread have been "guessing" about this for years, but surprise surprise, the local account option is still there.

You pretend that the solution isn't right there in front of your face and then put this little act on as if you are being tortured. Sad.

I'm still using a local account on ALL of my computers and have not had to do anything special in order to make that happen.

Microsoft got you on the payroll huh? I shouldn't have to deal with that shit at all, no matter how easy it supposedly is to fix. And once every 6 months? I haven't even had the machine for 6 months and I've seen this at least 10 times. The problem now is clicking remind me in 3 days really means in 3 days you have no more options. You get no more "remind me laters". Just like the windows update, when it decides its time, its time no matter what you're doing. How do I know? Because I clicked it. I actually liked Windows 11 and would have preferred to keep using it over Windows 10, I'm just not going to act like their advertiser when they pull this kind of crap.

The problem now is clicking remind me in 3 days really means in 3 days you have no more options. You get no more "remind me laters".

Can you substantiate this in any way, shape, or form? Because this has never happened to me, ever, on any of my computers or any computer that I've ever worked on. Or are you just "guessing" again?

Can you substantiate this in any way, shape, or form? Because this has never happened to me, ever, on any of my computers or any computer that I've ever worked on. Or are you just "guessing" again?

Why would I post this crap if it didn't? Like for real, I had all my stuff installed, hundreds of gigs of pictures and videos, dozens of games, etc. Nothing about re-doing my entire OS on my daily rig is any kind of fun. I clicked the stupid 3 days thing and started moving all of my stuff because previously I was able to shift+f10 and get out of the menu but this time I could not. After 3 days it came back and there was no more options, and apparently it even restricted my access to the files because I had to use Linux to forcefully format the drive afterwards.

Windows installer, diskpart, etc all kept telling me it was protected EFI partitions and could not be changed. So they locked me out because I refused to make a MS account. Believe whatever you want but they own your information at this point so you're either going to be a good boy and do it eventually or just suck it up and lose your stuff. Oh - and other Windows 11 or Windows 10 installs can't see the partitions in the drives once its decided to lock you out so you can't move your files that way. Even Samsung magician couldn't clone it.

After 3 days it came back and there was no more options

So you took a picture of your monitor while the "Remind me in 3 days" prompt was still there but forgot to take a picture after the prompt was supposedly gone?

Believe whatever you want

I believe what can be proven, which so far does not include anything you've said about this prompt.

they own your information at this point so you're either going to be a good boy and do it eventually or just suck it up and lose your stuff.
Ever hear of backups? I've never seen it not have the remind me later choice either...

The Local account can not and will not go away for Pro installs and up, end of the story, nor will they require you to tie it to a Microsoft account. If they did it would break just about every domain out there, even if those users are using Azure AD and Office 365 most corporate windows installs do not know they are connecting back to O365 as that pairing and data transfer is handled by the domain controller and the ADSync server. The workstation itself remains blissfully unaware that it is tied back to a Microsoft account in any way shape or form. It would also break things for Enterprise clients who use their local infrastructure to host their Office infrastructure for those clients out there who need the features of Windows 10 and 11 but can't be integrated into the cloud services for security and privacy reasons.
They may one day do away with the local accounts for Home, and given the capabilities of the majority of Home users that is probably in both their and Microsofts best interests given how easy it is to sue Microsoft over every little inconvenience, but that day is not today.

Hate to tell you, but I get these on my Surface Pro 4 installation of Windows 10, too. At least you can still easily get past them without telling the OS to remind you, for the time being. I don't get these screens on my main rig with Windows 10 Pro.

Windows 10 Home will get the full screen requester telling you to upgrade to a MS account if you're using a local account, and there is no option to entirely decline the offer - The only two options offered are 'Remind me in 3 days' or 'Continue', if you click continue you will be stepped through the process of creating a 'non limited account'. Windows 11 Home is exactly the same, and you will get that reminder roughly every three days should you not continue.

It's not even a point worth arguing, as it's blatantly true.

You're right, but, more because this thread is about Windows 11 Pro. I don't know why people keep bringing up Home versions of anything here.
And as stated in the linked article as part of the OP, it appears Microsoft are extending this behavior to Windows 11 Pro.

And as stated in this thread as part of the discussion, it appears the article is bull.
I was curious, so I followed the original link to PCGamesN, and from there to the changelog for the Insider build in question, and it does say that Pro will require internet during OOBE and that if you're setting up the machine for personal use, an MSA is required. Peoples' experience so far seems to not follow that, though.

I was curious, so I followed the original link to PCGamesN, and from there to the changelog for the Insider build in question, and it does say that Pro will require internet during OOBE and that if you're setting up the machine for personal use, an MSA is required. Peoples' experience so far seems to not follow that, though.
At this point we know it isn't the case though.

Back