Microsoft to Remove Ability to Install Win 11 Pro Without Being Online and Signing in to Microsoft Account

I haven't read though all the previous 418 posts on this thread so I don't know what the consensus is... Microsoft still wants you to install Windows 11 with a Microsoft account but as of July 10, 2022 you don't have to. I just installed two Windows 11 computers using Hyper-V

Computer #1: Windows 11 Pro
I started with the network disconnected.
When it noticed the network was disconnected...
Select "I don't have internet"
Select "Continue with limited setup"
I was then asked to enter Name for local account user.

Computer #2: Windows 11 Home
I started with the network disconnected.
When it noticed the network was disconnected...it would not continue
I then connected the network
When it noticed the network was connected...it checked for updates
When that was done I disconnected the network again
I was then asked to enter Name for local account user.
I am hoping that the Computer #1 scenario that you listed above is still the case. I just bought a copy of Windows 11 Pro for my new build and I am not a fan of the idea of having to create a digital ID to be able to access my computer. I paid the extra $20 because I read that Win 11 Pro had an offline install option but I didn't see this thread before today that Microsoft had removed the option from Pro. Hopefully, the option is back now like you are suggesting, otherwise I will have to look into some of the useful workarounds provided in this thread. I will not be tying my computer to a digital account, I will use my win 11 DVD as a coaster and install Ubuntu before I go that route.

Will Microsoft require you to make a Windows account for Windows 11 Pro if you installed it before it was required ever ?

Will Microsoft require you to make a Windows account for Windows 11 Pro if you installed it before it was required ever ?
You know that screen that keeps popping up even on Windows 10, to "Let's finish setting up your device"? Eventually there will be no option to skip it.

You know that screen that keeps popping up even on Windows 10, to "Let's finish setting up your device"? Eventually there will be no option to skip it.
That would suck. When I got my Windows laptop a few years ago I tried to set up my wife's and my shared email account as the Microsoft sign-in and it would never set up. Now, about every week I get that notice that I need to finish setting up my online account and I keep punting it since it won't recognize that account. :banghead:

I just bought a copy of Windows 11 Pro for my new build and I am not a fan of the idea of having to create a digital ID to be able to access my computer. I paid the extra $20 because I read that Win 11 Pro had an offline install option but I didn't see this thread before today that Microsoft had removed the option from Pro.

It's not required on Windows 11 Pro, nor has it ever been.

One of the reasons why using the Domain Join option is one of the easiest ways to create a local account is because... a lot of Windows 10/11 Pro systems in the workplace are part of a Domain. In the workplace the status quo is for the company to have total control over user accounts via the Domain. You don't generally have people logging in with their personal Microsoft accounts on their Domain-connected computers. Now maybe Microsoft has their eyes on people buying those $250 Acer laptops at Walmart, but what Microsoft is NOT going to do is anything that would piss off their business customers. Many domain administrators at big companies are control freaks that don't even let you set your own desktop wallpaper. How do you think they would react if Microsoft forced them to integrate Microsoft Accounts into their Domain? Microsoft has no reason to kill that cash cow.

Last edited:
I guess this means I'm staying on Windows [INSERT VERSION HERE], and once it goes EOL I guess I'll just have to stop using Windows all together.

1660671669539.png

sorry but it's true :p

Not sure if it works with Home but when it's setting up you can remove your Ethernet, Shift + F10, get the command propmpt and type oobe\bypassnro
That should restart and let you pass the MS account setup.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...internet/4fc44554-b416-4ecb-8961-6f79fd55ae0f

I actually came across this on reddit of all places, but it didn't work on this particular laptop. I think the TPM has this thing set permanently as a Windows 10 Home S mode computer so it doesn't want to do anything "out of the box". I did get it running and got my program loaded for datalogging so all is well.

I actually came across this on reddit of all places, but it didn't work on this particular laptop. I think the TPM has this thing set permanently as a Windows 10 Home S mode computer so it doesn't want to do anything "out of the box". I did get it running and got my program loaded for datalogging so all is well.
did it even revert back to s mode? im assuming you previously turned it into a proper home version....

man what the hell is that? I was away for a few days, came home, booted up the computer that's usually on 24/7 and got hit with that. I ended up just hard rebooting it and I was ok.

did it even revert back to s mode? im assuming you previously turned it into a proper home version....

No thank god, it stayed normal. It was a huge fight to get it out of S mode because I'm unwilling to give microsuck my email and phone number which they want to activate a MS account now. But since it never gave me an option for the version upon install, it seems like something on the laptop is interacting with the installer to force it to be Home only.

i have a laptop that came with s mode, all i had to do was download something from the store, and it rebooted and was out of s mode

sometime later i did a clean install using regular windows disc and it even carried over the embedded key but to non-s mode on fresh install (stayed as home, was gonna put a key in to go pro during fresh install, but once i saw it auto carried over the embedded home key as non-s i just kept the pro key on reserve)

edit: oh you wanted to avoid doing it normally, i see

No thank god, it stayed normal. It was a huge fight to get it out of S mode because I'm unwilling to give microsuck my email and phone number which they want to activate a MS account now. But since it never gave me an option for the version upon install, it seems like something on the laptop is interacting with the installer to force it to be Home only.
yeah, the uefi is holding on to it. our new dells are like too that but they seem to reload fine with our edu key injected with PID like i mentioned.

edu key injected with PID like i mentioned.
PID? How do you do that? I have an Asus laptop that I used the HWID hack to upgrade the home edition to pro but every reinstall it automatically goes back to the home version. What is the PID for 10 Pro?

PID? How do you do that? I have an Asus laptop that I used the HWID hack to upgrade the home edition to pro but every reinstall it automatically goes back to the home version. What is the PID for 10 Pro?

you make a custom windows/wim image/disc and the pid is a text file you edit with the version to install and key

edit: use this https://www.ntlite.com/ will be easier for starting out with this stuff - do as little or as much as you want, break stuff, have fun

i posted aboot it on the last page. it will auto-install whatever version the key corresponds to and i believe it overrides anything stored in uefi, at least it does on our dells....
https://hardforum.com/threads/micro...-to-microsoft-account.2017854/post-1045426636

if you have a pro key you can embed it into the install usb and it should use that first. create a text file called "PID", put it in \sources and add this:
[PID]
Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX <--your key obviously
So is this the CD-Key AKA serial number or the Product ID from the system specifications page on the about tab?

So is this the CD-Key AKA serial number or the Product ID from the system specifications page on the about tab?
no, its your windows key. idk what that "serial number" is, never seen it correspond to anything....
if you dont have your key because its embedded, use magicjellybean to find it.

no, its your windows key. idk what that "serial number" is, never seen it correspond to anything....
if you dont have your key because its embedded, use magicjellybean to find it.
I don't have a key per say because I used the HWID tool I have to see if I can find a way for it to just generate a CD Key then. I don't reinstall Windows as much as I use to in the XP (and even 7) days but I would still want it not to revert to home with no choice! Windows 10 reinstalls are a royal PITA for me to get it back to "normal" I wish I could find a way to back up the start menu and my pinned apps and the quick access I tried once but it did not work!

I don't have a key per say because I used the HWID tool I have to see if I can find a way for it to just generate a CD Key then. I don't reinstall Windows as much as I use to in the XP (and even 7) days but I would still want it not to revert to home with no choice! Windows 10 reinstalls are a royal PITA for me to get it back to "normal" I wish I could find a way to back up the start menu and my pinned apps and the quick access I tried once but it did not work!

make a custom wim image

you install windows, install everything (apps/drivers) set it all up how you like > capture it to wim and make that a custom windows install disc

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ly-windows-using-a-single-wim?view=windows-11

nlite tool linked in my post above can help facilitate that too

This is the 3rd post you've made in this thread and they have all contained nothing but hyperbole. I'm guessing you don't actually have anything useful to contribute?
Hyperbole? That's your opinion. An opinion based on nothing. The only way you can believe MS will not force every non-enterprise user to create an MS account to continue using windows at some point, is if you live under a rock or have been singing LALALALA for the past few years ignoring every cue, every red flag, every occasion where MS removed some form of the user's control of their own computer and gave it to themselves.

As for not being useful, helping opening the eyes of those who refuse to see reality is most useful.

And I'm not sorry if a joke at the expense of an overbearing corporation offends you.

Hyperbole? That's your opinion. An opinion based on nothing. The only way you can believe MS will not force every non-enterprise user to create an MS account to continue using windows at some point, is if you live under a rock or have been singing LALALALA for the past few years ignoring every cue, every red flag, every occasion where MS removed some form of the user's control of their own computer and gave it to themselves.

As for not being useful, helping opening the eyes of those who refuse to see reality is most useful.

You can theorize about the future all you want to, but that doesn't make it fact.

Fact: All current versions of windows still have a way to create a local account.

We can leave it to others to decide whether facts or unsubstantiated speculation is more useful.

Fact: All current versions of windows still have a way to create a local account.
Can Windows 11 Home join a domain? Last I checked it couldn't. Therefore there's every chance that running the latest OOBE you have no option but to create a Microsoft account under Windows 10 Home, unless you resort to third party hacks via your chosen image writing software.

Which won't help in the case of an OEM install of Windows from the recovery partition of an OEM device; unless you have the time to wipe, install from external media, and search via hardware ID's for obscure items like Management Engine drivers and fingerprint readers.

You can theorize about the future all you want to, but that doesn't make it fact.
That's like standing under the falling piano and shouting at the people trying to tell you to move. Suit yourself.
I didn't know it was forbidden to talk about what's next for Windows.
Well, that's just plain wrong. You can't install W11 home without creating a microsoft account, now that is a fact. You can switch to a local account after completing installation, but not before. So they already got your info, unless you give them false information, which I'm sure is against TOS.
We can leave it to others to decide whether facts or unsubstantiated speculation is more useful.
Is it unsubstantiated or you just don't like it? Everything points in that direction with ways to avoid creating an MS account getting harder and harder with each version. If having to unplug the network from the computer to get past online account requirement it is not an indication to you, then I don't know what would be. I guess nothing. Let's duck our heads in the sand and everything will be fine if we don't mention the elephant in the room.

That's like standing under the falling piano and shouting at the people trying to tell you to move. Suit yourself.
I didn't know it was forbidden to talk about what's next for Windows.

Well, that's just plain wrong. You can't install W11 home without creating a microsoft account, now that is a fact. You can switch to a local account after completing installation, but not before. So they already got your info, unless you give them false information, which I'm sure is against TOS.

Is it unsubstantiated or you just don't like it? Everything points in that direction with ways to avoid creating an MS account getting harder and harder with each version. If having to unplug the network from the computer to get past online account requirement it is not an indication to you, then I don't know what would be. I guess nothing. Let's duck our heads in the sand and everything will be fine if we don't mention the elephant in the room.
It's amazing how many people don't see the writing on the wall. As soon as people like my FIL and my Dad were duped into signing in with their <insertaccounthere> account on new OEM Windows computers and that was then associated with an MS account I knew where MS was headed. It'll be slow and methodical. Just like how they made everybody accept a monthly fee for Office.

The head in the sand mentality is why stuff like monthly subscriptions on software is now a thing. Oh they'll never do that. It'll never last! Ok, I'm not letting go of Office 20xx! OK, I'll pay you monthly.

Reactions: M76
like this
It's amazing how many people don't see the writing on the wall. As soon as people like my FIL and my Dad were duped into signing in with their <insertaccounthere> account on new OEM Windows computers and that was then associated with an MS account I knew where MS was headed. It'll be slow and methodical. Just like how they made everybody accept a monthly fee for Office.

The head in the sand mentality is why stuff like monthly subscriptions on software is now a thing. Oh they'll never do that. It'll never last! Ok, I'm not letting go of Office 20xx! OK, I'll pay you monthly.
I think the subscription for office makes sense in an enterprise setting, where you are already paying for other services, and it's easier to plan costs, and you can reduce or increase the number office subs easy enough. You can't really do that with a retail license. Of course it should be an option and not the sole option. As most commercial software devs don't even offer perpetual licenses anymore.

But as a home user? Hell no, I'm not getting into any subscription, I want to buy the product and use it until I decide I want to upgrade to a newer version.

But the OS as a subscription, that's sheer horror. But wait, Windows is not a subscription? Wake up, it is since Windows 10, only they hasn't started charging for it yet. But it works as a subscription model, not as a stand alone software that you have full control over when to update it and what features you want included.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but because of Google Docs, Office is free online/through a browser

https://office.live.com/

Use the Microsoft Store version of the Office apps for local offline viewing (no creating/editing) and printing

As a home user, are you (the hypothetical you) really gonna be without internet for such long durations this wouldn't work? Create a hotspot with your phone if you need creation/editing online when home net is down or w/e.

This is also only for basic Word/Excel/PowerPoint/One Note - if you need Access or w/e this won't cut it

Growing up in the Napster generation taught me never to pay for intangible things if you don't have to

I mentioned this elsewhere, but because of Google Docs, Office is free online/through a browser

https://office.live.com/

Use the Microsoft Store version of the Office apps for local offline viewing (no creating/editing) and printing

As a home user, are you (the hypothetical you) really gonna be without internet for such long durations this wouldn't work? Create a hotspot with your phone if you need creation/editing online when home net is down or w/e.

This is also only for basic Word/Excel/PowerPoint/One Note - if you need Access or w/e this won't cut it

Growing up in the Napster generation taught me never to pay for intangible things if you don't have to
lol they are all mad about having to use a ms account, that also requires one....

lol they are all mad about having to use a ms account, that also requires one....
I imagine it exist a group that do not mind at all create an empty MS account to use free microsoft browser application online, have a free mail, free cloud drive, etc... for who it is different than have their OS linked to one.

These people mad about an Windows online account can very well be using a steam account for example without having issue (they see the benefit for them to have an account instead of reentering all info, able to reinstall previous bought game, online save game backup, etc...) same for an online account if you want to use browser office apps.

trying to read that made my head hurt....
Sorry for my terrible english, to make it shorter there is a significant different between creating a Microsoft account for a Microsoft Outlook account vs creating one for your OS.

Sorry for my terrible english, to make it shorter there is a significant different between creating a Microsoft account for a Microsoft Outlook account vs creating one for your OS.
sure but those complaining want neither
and i dont mean that in a negative/attacking way, its their call.

I feel this is a very 1995 view of things

Things change

Including operating systems

Always online everything was inevitable, very unsuprisingly for an/any OS too. We're at the point of thermostats and doorknobs and jacket zippers being always online now

I did want to imply they were surprised by any of it, just that they did not like it.

Yes and I don't mean things always change for the better or worse, just that they change

You can absolutely hate needing online capability, and I understand it, but we're not going back we all know that so adaption will be needed one way or another

And always online doesn't have to mean 'no offline capability whatsoever' - just that it will assume you have internet from time to time even if just for reauth (or in this case, a MS account), and that for somethings, online will be 100% needed

Edit: it's not like it's preventing 'data harvesting' either - unless you were 100% offline all the time and never online ever literally - they just associate your offline account/user # 4762974 account with the profile they have on you - credit card companies and such have been doing this long before the connected age, others follow their model

Last edited:
Back