Microsoft to Remove Ability to Install Win 11 Pro Without Being Online and Signing in to Microsoft Account

You don't need a Microsoft account to use Windows 11.
If you're setting up a brand new 'branded' device that's bought preloaded with OEM Windows 10 Home you most definitely do. There won't even be an option to perform an offline install.

If you're setting up a brand new 'branded' device that's bought preloaded with OEM Windows 10 Home you most definitely do. There won't even be an option to perform an offline install.
It doesn't matter if it's preloaded. You can still make a local account using the methods already outlined in this thread. How do I know this? I've done it hundreds of times.

It doesn't matter if it's preloaded. You can still make a local account using the methods already outlined in this thread. How do I know this? I've done it hundreds of times.
Not under Windows 11 Home. You cannot create your own boot media as you have to install from the devices recovery partition, and the OOBE on the recovery partition is modified to force the user to connect to a network as soon as the installation process begins - There is no option for a 'limited account' as the need to connect to a network is immediate. As someone that's also installed Windows 11 Home hundreds of times.

Last edited:
Not under Windows 11 Home. You cannot create your own boot media as you have to install from the devices recovery partition, and the OOBE on the recovery partition is modified to force the user to connect to a network as soon as the installation process begins - There is no option for a 'limited account' as the need to connect to a network is immediate. As someone that's also installed Windows 11 Home hundreds of times.
This is false. Sorry. Everything about this is false. You are not forced to install anything from the recovery partition. In fact, you can wipe the entire drive and not use the recovery partition at all if that's something you want to do. Yes, the first thing the installation has you do is connect to a network. This is true of any newly purchased computer or a clean install of Windows 11 Home. There are several methods to bypassing the OOBE. One of them, as I outlined above, you can connect to WiFi, then immediately disconnect the internet modem (so that you are still connected to WiFi, but with no internet). It will think you have network connectivity problems and will then give you the option of creating a local account. This works on brand new computers right out of the box. You can also use [email protected] as outlined by another user because that is a locked account and will make you create a local account. [email protected] also works. The password you use for either is irrelevant. Alternatively, when you see the Microsoft account screen, you can press Shift + F10 and run/type netsh wlan disconnect, then press back, and you will be given the option to create a local account. When you get to the desktop, you can then reconnect to your WiFi. Please don't spout things as facts when they are in fact not. It doesn't help other users looking for answers.

This is false. Sorry. Everything about this is false. You are not forced to install anything from the recovery partition. In fact, you can wipe the entire drive and not use the recovery partition at all if that's something you want to do. Yes, the first thing the installation has you do is connect to a network. This is true of any newly purchased computer or a clean install of Windows 11 Home. There are several methods to bypassing the OOBE. One of them, as I outlined above, you can connect to WiFi, then immediately disconnect the internet modem (so that you are still connected to WiFi, but with no internet). It will think you have network connectivity problems and will then give you the option of creating a local account. This works on brand new computers right out of the box. You can also use [email protected] as outlined by another user because that is a locked account and will make you create a local account. [email protected] also works. The password you use for either is irrelevant. Alternatively, when you see the Microsoft account screen, you can press Shift + F10 and run/type netsh wlan disconnect, then press back, and you will be given the option to create a local account. When you get to the desktop, you can then reconnect to your WiFi. Please don't spout things as facts when they are in fact not. It doesn't help other users looking for answers.
The OOBE included in the recovery partition of a brand new branded device running Windows 11 Home doesn't allow for an offline install no matter what you do, you can disconnect the network via all the methods you posted - The installer will just stop altogether and you'll progress no further.

Going to the extreme of forgoing the recovery partition altogether and forcing an install via external media in the hope of installation using a less locked down OOBE is the extreme side of ridiculous. Windows 11 will pick up most drivers, it won't pick up all of them and you'll be Googling Hardware ID's - This is usually the case regarding some of Intel's more obscure prodicts like their Management Engine (for example). You may as well just create a Microsoft account via the recovery partition to get the OS installed and run netplwiz after the user account has been created, create a local account, reboot, and delete the Microsoft account - Which is what I actually do when setting up devices shipped with Windows 10 Home. As for [email protected] - It doesn't work either, I know as I tried earlier in the week after reading it in this thread.

Furthermore, more and more consumer grade devices that used to come with Windows 10 Pro are now being shipped with Windows 11 Home. I also think it's pretty safe to assume that eventually upon detection of a local account Microsoft will force the full screen requester under Windows 11 Home, just like they did under Windows 10 Home, forcing the user to either 'upgrade' to a 'limited account' or 'remind me in three days' - And to the end user the only way to close the full screen requester is to select one of the two options. It's forceful and it's underhanded.

As for your comment regarding people looking for answers - The point is: They should not have to look for answers, it's not Microsoft's device.

The blind defense of a company that sees the consumer as no more than a cash cow is flatly odd? Then again, considering most here do appear to be using questionable Windows keys sold for under $40.00, why would they question anything?

Then again, considering most here do appear to be using questionable Windows keys sold for under $40.00, why would they question anything?

Just out of curiosity, do you think win11 or 10 is actually worth $40?

The OOBE included in the recovery partition of a brand new branded device running Windows 11 Home doesn't allow for an offline install no matter what you do, you can disconnect the network via all the methods you posted - The installer will just stop altogether and you'll progress no further.

Going to the extreme of forgoing the recovery partition altogether and forcing an install via external media in the hope of installation using a less locked down OOBE is the extreme side of ridiculous. Windows 11 will pick up most drivers, it won't pick up all of them and you'll be Googling Hardware ID's - This is usually the case regarding some of Intel's more obscure prodicts like their Management Engine (for example). You may as well just create a Microsoft account via the recovery partition to get the OS installed and run netplwiz after the user account has been created, create a local account, reboot, and delete the Microsoft account - Which is what I actually do when setting up devices shipped with Windows 10 Home. As for [email protected] - It doesn't work either, I know as I tried earlier in the week after reading it in this thread.

Furthermore, more and more consumer grade devices that used to come with Windows 10 Pro are now being shipped with Windows 11 Home. I also think it's pretty safe to assume that eventually upon detection of a local account Microsoft will force the full screen requester under Windows 11 Home, just like they did under Windows 10 Home, forcing the user to either 'upgrade' to a 'limited account' or 'remind me in three days' - And to the end user the only way to close the full screen requester is to select one of the two options. It's forceful and it's underhanded.

As for your comment regarding people looking for answers - The point is: They should not have to look for answers, it's not Microsoft's device.

The blind defense of a company that sees the consumer as no more than a cash cow is flatly odd? Then again, considering most here do appear to be using questionable Windows keys sold for under $40.00, why would they question anything?
No.

Going to the extreme of forgoing the recovery partition altogether and forcing an install via external media in the hope of installation using a less locked down OOBE is the extreme side of ridiculous. Windows 11 will pick up most drivers, it won't pick up all of them and you'll be Googling Hardware ID's - This is usually the case regarding some of Intel's more obscure prodicts like their Management Engine (for example).

Installing a fresh copy of an OS on a new device is not "ridiculous", it's good practice and has been for over a quarter century. Ignoring the MS account argument, the computer is still likely to come with pre-installed bloatware, either from the device manufacturer or from companies that paid the device manufacturer to put their crap on there. This can include things like trial 3rd party anti-virus software, trial VPN software, etc. I also do a fresh install on all my devices because I simply prefer Pro over Home. It seems really silly for you to pretend that installing drivers is a hassle when it really isn't. Install the latest Chipset drivers, install the latest GPU drivers, let Windows Update fill in the gaps. 95% of the time that will take care of all the drivers. Anything else can be found on the manufacturers website and is probably something stupid like a built-in SD card reader. I have Windows 11 installed on all of my non-server computers, new and old, and I've never had to google a hardware ID.

Yes.

Installing a fresh copy of an OS on a new device is not "ridiculous", it's good practice and has been for over a quarter century.
There will be missing drivers that Windows will not automatically download, even via Windows update, and these drivers will be a pain to find - As stated, requiring the need to Google device ID's in many cases. Only once you've found out exactly what the device is using device ID's can you download the driver from the manufacturers website. When setting up a new device for a client, a device that's not mine, I'm not going to go to such extremes and I don't care about bloatware as the device isn't mine.

You just make up some random Microsoft account under Windows 11 Home> install> get past all of Microsoft's own bloatware questions> boot to desktop> netplwiz> create local account> reboot> delete Microsoft account and hope that Microsoft aren't still running with their underhanded and manipulative full screen requester forcing users to switch to Microsoft accounts where they're using local accounts.

Just out of curiosity, do you think win11 or 10 is actually worth $40?
I don't run Windows or MacOS, but from what I read here it appears most here don't think Windows is worth even OEM retail pricing.

no. "i dont run windows, but im going to tell everyone that does they are wrong"...
ime came up under optional updates last time i did a fresh install. literally nothing to fetch, windows update got it all.
And your defense of Microsoft's antics isn't predictable?

I install Windows multiple times a day, the fact I personally don't have the desire to run Windows myself is irrelevant. At least I'm not a Windows user, whining in a thread about antics that Microsoft have been pushing for years, posting anecdotal fixes that will likely be patched out of existance in the future.

And your defense of Microsoft's antics isn't predictable?

I install Windows multiple times a day, the fact I personally don't have the desire to run Windows myself is irrelevant. At least I'm not a Windows user, whining in a thread about antics that Microsoft have been pushing for years, posting anecdotal fixes that will likely be patched out of existance in the future.
youre the only one whining in here. maybe you should just skip these threads since you clearly dont know what youre talking about and get easily offended....
go on, call me a fan boy for countering your bullshit. i know you want to. or maybe a shill...

youre the only one whining in here. maybe you should just skip these threads since you clearly dont know what youre talking about and get easily offended....
go on, call me a fan boy for countering your bullshit. i know you want to. or maybe a shill...
Ah, OK. So because I accepted Microsoft's antics as a company and moved onto something else I'm now whining and easily offended. How odd. Hello pot, I'm kettle.

I don't run Windows or MacOS, but from what I read here it appears most here don't think Windows is worth even OEM retail pricing.
Who charges a fee for an OS today? It's an outdated business model because as the maker of an OS you can direct customers however you want. Which is evil of course but that's the reality of OS's today, with the only exception being Linux. Apple has the App store for both iOS and Mac OSX, also you get the OS for free with the hardware. Google uses Android as a front for pushing their services as well as the app store. Everyone collects metadata, including Apple. Microsoft does charge a fee but realistically nobody in their right mind would pay for it. Not much has changed since Windows Vista, beyond a UI change and security patches. If people had to choose they would stick with an older version of Windows because they don't want the UI change and most of their hardware works on an older Windows due to drivers.

no. "i dont run windows, but im going to tell everyone that does they are wrong"...
ime came up under optional updates last time i did a fresh install. literally nothing to fetch, windows update got it all.
I don't use Windows anymore myself but that doesn't mean I don't fix other peoples computers. Windows does a pretty good job, unless you're working on a laptop. Just reinstalled Windows 10 on a Ryzen laptop and there were missing drivers I had to manually download. Even still you don't want Windows to handle all the drivers as it doesn't always install the latest. I make my life easier by using Chocolatey as a package manager. Windows 11 will have it's own repository system but I try to keep people away from that OS. I have certain problems when installing Windows 10 on machines. Older Intel based laptops have it bad as Windows 10 drivers only support up to OpenGL 2, which can be a problem with some applications. The solution is to install a software OpenGL 3.3 wrapper that will give you compatibility but it runs on the CPU. I'd be more than happy to let people to continue to use Windows 7 if it didn't leave them vulnerable without security updates and web browser support. You guys just don't fix computers often like I do, so you don't see these things.

Yea nobody cares. The idea behind the EULA is that you can't take it and sell the software as if you're the creator. You can resale it and pass it on because it's on physical media. You can't do that with digital downloads.
Sure you can, and legally the resale of either still falls within the scope allowed by the EULA. If allowed, there's nothing preventing you from burning that digital download to a file and resell it.
What's the difference between me taking my licensed software and putting on a USB stick and selling that stick, vs selling a CD made by the company?
Legally, nothing unless the EULA specifies otherwise.

At this point, I do not care one iota anymore. After all, I am using an iPhone 13 on a daily basis and use if for banking, credit cards and Apple Pay. I never did that with my Android phones but I never found those functions secure or useful then on those phones. I use my Microsoft account to login to my Windows 11 install at home and use Ubuntu 22.04 all the other times, at home.

Yea nobody cares. The idea behind the EULA is that you can't take it and sell the software as if you're the creator. You can resale it and pass it on because it's on physical media. You can't do that with digital downloads. What's the difference between me taking my licensed software and putting on a USB stick and selling that stick, vs selling a CD made by the company?

Didn't Europe pass laws requiring that software licenses were resellable? I believe that's the entire legal basis behind such sites as Kinguin and the like.

I did nothing of the sort. I like the game, it's still a very popular title and one of the best released in the Battlefield series.

Would you like me to quote one of the many newer titles that also run under Linux? This idea that PC users actually 'want to' be locked to one proprietary OS boggles my mind. I'm actually honestly suspecting it may be a generational thing, as we're in a time where Windows is all certain generations have ever known and have been conditioned to use from the moment they started school.

Which is actually quite sad.

I love Linux.

I use it for absolutely everything...

...except gaming and work.

For work I have a dedicated VWi 10 VM on my desktop so that Office and everything else plays nice.

For games I still dual boot to a dedicated Win10 install which exists only for games. Yes, I know that games run better than ever in Linux these days, but there is still a significant performance hit in almost all titles, and when I am struggling to maintain 60fps at 4k Ultra settings I can't afford to lose any performance at all.

Because of this, I will likely continue to game under Windows until such time that Microsoft does something so obscene that I feel forced to stop, or such time that they reach performance parity on all titles.

Didn't Europe pass laws requiring that software licenses were resellable? I believe that's the entire legal basis behind such sites as Kinguin and the like.
If that's true that would be amazing. I think sites like Kinguin are not selling used keys but selling keys from poor countries where they pay a lot less for the same games. This was a thing for World of Warcraft where you can make an account in Argentina and pay something like $3 per month instead of the $15 you normally do in America. Blizzard has since fought back by preventing payments outside of Argentina, so you can't use an American credit card to make payments to Argentina. This is why on sites like Kinguin they tell you if the key can be activated in your country because it probably wasn't meant to be ran in your country.

For games I still dual boot to a dedicated Win10 install which exists only for games. Yes, I know that games run better than ever in Linux these days, but there is still a significant performance hit in almost all titles, and when I am struggling to maintain 60fps at 4k Ultra settings I can't afford to lose any performance at all.

Because of this, I will likely continue to game under Windows until such time that Microsoft does something so obscene that I feel forced to stop, or such time that they reach performance parity on all titles.
I also dual boot Linux and Windows but I haven't needed to run Windows in 3-4 months. So far the games I play run faster in Linux but I know there's going to be a game that won't. I still haven't gotten Fusion 360 to work at all on Linux

So, the last time I installed Windows 10 on my desktop, I had a NIC installed that the installer image did not have drivers for, so it automatically skipped the prompt to sign in to a Microsoft account and went straight to local accounts. This was a Pro install, but I'm going to guess it might have done the same on a Home install, unless they don't want people to be able to install that offline at all.

I vaguely remember the last time I did a pro install on on one of my laptops (might have been 1H21 or before) it would not let me skip the sign in dialog at install, even on the Pro version. I had to disconnect the laptop from the internet and restart the install in order to get the option to install with a local only account.

I decided to test install in a new VM to see what I would encounter.

First I tried Win 11. It refused to install on my VM's hardware claiming it was not supported. I'm sure there is a workaround, but I didn't feel like researching it right now. This was just intended to be a quick experiment.

Next I did Win10 Pro (2H21):

View attachment 485047

They are a little sneaky, hoping you won't notice the small "Offline Account" link on the bottom left, but it is there.

View attachment 485048

They then nag you to create an account. If you don't want one you have to click "Limited experience". This is obviously designed to mislead people who don't know what they are doing to create an account.

View attachment 485049

Then finally, you get to create your local account. (they still nag you not to down in the bottom left corner)

This was actually a little surprising to me given my previous install on my laptop mentioned above. I guess they went in this direction on Pro, but then backed off again due to criticism?

So, next I decided to try a Home install. Same 2H21 version of Win10

View attachment 485050

That "Offline account" link is not there during a Home install.View attachment 485051

Just trying to skip it by clicking "next" doesn't work either.View attachment 485052

Clicking "Learn More" gives you this little nugget of information. They state that if you don't want the account, you can remove it later. (Presumably they are hoping that most people are too lazy to do that, or just forget about it.)

Alright, let's try a fake account.
View attachment 485053

No luck there.

Let's try the one you say you use, [email protected]

Well, it prompts for a password, but since I don't have that password, that's as far as we are getting.

View attachment 485054

Let's see if we can create an account for a fake email address:

View attachment 485055
View attachment 485056

Apparently I need a complex password. Upper case, lower case, numbers etc.

POOPSalot1234567 was accepted...

View attachment 485057

Now these creepy bastards want my birth date and country.

Lets do Albania and February 29th 1896View attachment 485058

Damn. You can't type it. You have to click back to the year you were born. This is going to take a while. I guess Microsoft hates non-Gen Z as well.

FAIL. You can't go older than 1922.

View attachment 485061

They won't accept the future either!

View attachment 485062

I guess in that case I was born yesterday. It's easier that way. Well, it would have been if I had chosen it from the get go. Now I ahve to click one year at a time from 2122 back to 2022....

View attachment 485066

Wow. They won't accept born yesterday either. I don't know the minimum age to be allowed to install Windows 10 Home edition, but I'm going to just try something random at this point...

Apparently 8 years old. (2014) is OK according to Microsoft.

Wow. Next way they harass you is to force you to create a PIN? Why on earth would I want that, when I already set a brilliant poopsalot password?
View attachment 485070For fucks sake, this is a PC not a phone.

Well. 1234 is a beautiful PIN, which also does not meet Microsofts minimum complexity requirements...

2014 (my fake accounts birthdate) is apparently OK though. Nice one Microsoft.

Now we have to go through all the privacy bullshiot, which IMHO should be legally required to default to "everything off".

View attachment 485073

I don't know what the fuck any of this is, I've nevere seen it before as I've only ever used the Pro version, and it doesn't ask you this bullshit, but I'm not doing it . SKIP.

View attachment 485074

The fuck? Why would I want to connect my phone to my computer. I'm really starting to get annoyed at this point. The bullshit they put those Home edition normies through would make me boil over.

View attachment 485075

Now a Cortana setup page. There is seemingly no end to the goddamn bullshit.

View attachment 485076

Not Now? How about "Not Ever"?

Anyway, after the Black and white "Hi" screen, and some waiting we are finally on a desktop. Now lets see if we can create a local account and delete this spyware account.

View attachment 485080

Hmm. No option for "local account". Lets see what happens if I click on "I don't have this person's account"
View attachment 485081

Finally. There is an "Add a user without a Microsoft account" option.

View attachment 485088

...goddamn security questions...

Changed local account type to Administrator, then logged out of fake online account, and logged into local account.

"Hi"

More bullshit security questions...

Lets see if we can delete the fake online account...

View attachment 485090

So. It IS possible to install Win10 Home with a fake account and then remove that account, but it is also kind of a pain in the ass.

I'm kind of glad I've never used Win 10 Home edition before. This would have made me tear my hair out.

I have 7 Pro licenses in the house, no Home licenses.

Also worth mentioning, this confirms you can technically sign up using someone else's email as an account, as long as they havent already used it for a microsoft account. THere is no email verification link or anything.

So from what I can tell by creating this fake account in this process you have created a '[email protected]' account with Microsoft directly.

Speculation here, but likely by "agreeing" to create this fake account it sent a trove of data over to them and I would wonder what all was sent. Did they snap some pictures from your webcam? Did they send some amount of recorded voice or video? You likely agreed to all manner of things in that legal hellscape known as a "EULA" ... so I wonder what you implicitly or explicitly agreed to send over by accepting and installing what they likely consider to be an "Operating Service" (formerly known as "Operating System")?

So if you create a "fake" account it probably doesn't matter; if they snapped a photo, recorded video and/or recorded voice then they have a MAC ID, all of the system serial numbers and both a face and voice print to tag you to that system.

If you watch any amount of Bill Gates he is big on identification and stripping of anonymity. It would be trivial to collect this data during or after install (or at any point thereafter).

So from what I can tell by creating this fake account in this process you have created a '[email protected]' account with Microsoft directly.

Speculation here, but likely by "agreeing" to create this fake account it sent a trove of data over to them and I would wonder what all was sent. Did they snap some pictures from your webcam? Did they send some amount of recorded voice or video? You likely agreed to all manner of things in that legal hellscape known as a "EULA" ... so I wonder what you implicitly or explicitly agreed to send over by accepting and installing what they likely consider to be an "Operating Service" (formerly known as "Operating System")?

So if you create a "fake" account it probably doesn't matter; if they snapped a photo, recorded video and/or recorded voice then they have a MAC ID, all of the system serial numbers and both a face and voice print to tag you to that system.

If you watch any amount of Bill Gates he is big on identification and stripping of anonymity. It would be trivial to collect this data during or after install (or at any point thereafter).

Luckily I did it in a VM on a natted network (so no other devices to scan on the network) with no cameras or microphones attached :p

There's a reason why Mark Zuckerberg the guy who basically collects all data that is you, is putting tape on his mic and web cam. It wouldn't be hard for Microsoft to figure out who [email protected] really is. They have a lot more data about you then your fake email address to connect the dots. I just realized that's a Macbook but that still applies.
mark-zuckerberg-tape-facebook-instagram-1-1592x796.jpg

If you watch videos on Bill Gates he also had a pack of Taiwanese ladyboys. About as believable as anything the real Bill Gates would say.

I love Linux.

I use it for absolutely everything...

...except gaming and work.

For work I have a dedicated VWi 10 VM on my desktop so that Office and everything else plays nice.

And at the end of the day, you use what works. MS Office simply offers me nothing I need in order to do my work that Libre Office combined with Thunderbird doesn't cover, and all my gaming needs are covered by Linux using a combination of Proton under Steam and Lutris - Since Valve's push regarding Proton and the overwhelming support of the open source community regarding DXVK and Wine, if there is a performance hit, I'm not noticing it.

There's nothing hard about it, and I avoid all of Microsoft's antics. TBH, most of the time I forget that I'm not running Windows.

From what I heard this only applies to new laptops not old ones.

https://www.windowscentral.com/starting-2023-windows-11-will-require-laptops-have-cameras

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a requirement for OEMs as a reaction to COVID lockdowns. A bunch of people had to buy all-new computers to WFH; it could be that a percentage of them got burned on bargain-bin hardware without webcams, cheap webcams, and blamed Microsoft.

I could also see Microsoft having actual nefarious reasons, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a requirement for OEMs as a reaction to COVID lockdowns. A bunch of people had to buy all-new computers to WFH; it could be that a percentage of them got burned on bargain-bin hardware without webcams.

A piece of black tape ftw.

Reactions: Axman
like this
https://www.windowscentral.com/starting-2023-windows-11-will-require-laptops-have-cameras

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a requirement for OEMs as a reaction to COVID lockdowns. A bunch of people had to buy all-new computers to WFH; it could be that a percentage of them got burned on bargain-bin hardware without webcams, cheap webcams, and blamed Microsoft.

the hardware list linked in that old article says webcams are optional.

From what I heard this only applies to new laptops not old ones.
was a rumor 1.5 years ago, but the ms hardware list says its optional.

Reactions: Axman
like this
the hardware list linked in that old article says webcams are optional.
SHould've kept reading.

3.1 Camera • Forward facing camera – Optional*
Minimum Hardware Requirements for Windows 11 © 2021 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
• Rear facing camera - Optional
*Starting from January 1, 2023, all Device Types except Desktop PC, are required to have Forward-facing camera which meets the following requirements. A rear-facing camera is optiona

SHould've kept reading.

3.1 Camera • Forward facing camera – Optional*
Minimum Hardware Requirements for Windows 11 © 2021 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
• Rear facing camera - Optional
*Starting from January 1, 2023, all Device Types except Desktop PC, are required to have Forward-facing camera which meets the following requirements. A rear-facing camera is optiona
what page of ms' pdf is that on?

Back