Microsoft to Release ‘Project Scorpio’ Edition of Xbox One X

I bet this will cost $599. Nice extra profit.

Is it just me or does this thing look like a PS2?

Preordered mine today for $499.99, which is the same price as the standard version. It does remind me of the PS2.

So what's the deal with this thing? I admit, I haven't really been keeping up to date with all the press. Is this significant enough to warrant a purchase? I've got a PS4 Pro I use all the time.

I hope they have a TV style remote for sale. That's all I ever use these things for.

So what's the deal with this thing? I admit, I haven't really been keeping up to date with all the press. Is this significant enough to warrant a purchase? I've got a PS4 Pro I use all the time.
For me, 4K UHD HDR disc playback - but the One S also has it so it's really about getting a better spec'ed box more than anything else.

Preordered mine yesterday

Xbox One X - Project Scorpio Edition

ps.png

If these things could also do Dolby Vision, it would actually be a great value for an all in one media box, without the console even. Good media app selection with a wide range of decoders. I think the only other DV and HDR10 UHD blu ray is the Oppo and it is more expensive, and I don't even know if it does any streaming.

If these things could also do Dolby Vision, it would actually be a great value for an all in one media box, without the console even. Good media app selection with a wide range of decoders. I think the only other DV and HDR10 UHD blu ray is the Oppo and it is more expensive, and I don't even know if it does any streaming.
Microsoft said they're "exploring" the possibility of adding Dolby Vision and direct bitstreaming support in the future. That's not an outright rejection of the idea, so there is slim hope. Microsoft is probably just against the idea of paying the licensing fees.

I'm looking at it because my $5000 fucking dollar TV can't do Dolby Atmos out of any output which is ridiculous but whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't touch my One S as it is and a resolution bump to 4K isn't going to change that unless they get some better exclusives to go with it. The console does look cool, but that's pretty much the last thing I care about on a console.

I kinda wish Sony would have held out another year on the Pro for better hardware too for proper 4K support, but it's hard to complain much when most of their exclusives run well and look so amazing even on the base console.

Last edited:
I don't touch my One S as it is and .. a resolution bump to 4K isn't going to change that unless they get some better exclusives to go with it. The console does look cool, but that's pretty much the last thing I care about on a console.

I kinda wish Sony would have held out another year on the Pro for better hardware too for proper 4K support, but it's hard to complain much when most of their exclusives run well and look so amazing even on the base console.

True. I'd consider if it had some sweet exclusives with visual goodies built-in.

As it stands, I'm getting a shit ton of mileage out of my PS4 Pro, couldn't ask for a better console.

IMO, what this console is going to have to be is the ultimate console for multi-platform games. Obviously MS still lacks exclusives so it needs to be able to push CoD, Madden, Battlefield, RDR, FIFA, Overwatch, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy, etc. way beyond what Sony can. Essentially it needs to be closer to parity with the PC. Obviously it's not going to be a 1080Ti, but I needs to be able to keep up with mid-range gaming PC performance. Something that looks instantly better and can work as a selling point. No clue if MS can do that, but that's the only way I see this thing doing really well.

IMO, what this console is going to have to be is the ultimate console for multi-platform games. Obviously MS still lacks exclusives so it needs to be able to push CoD, Madden, Battlefield, RDR, FIFA, Overwatch, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy, etc. way beyond what Sony can. Essentially it needs to be closer to parity with the PC. Obviously it's not going to be a 1080Ti, but I needs to be able to keep up with mid-range gaming PC performance. Something that looks instantly better and can work as a selling point. No clue if MS can do that, but that's the only way I see this thing doing really well.

You know what would be a huge game changer, would make me (and many others) buy this console without hesitation, and could be added at virtually no cost to MS? Keyboard and Mouse support in their games.

I don't know why they don't allow this other than to keep online competitive games fair, but even then you could always put filters in game matches to restrict/allow KB&M players. I play my consoles at my computer desk anyways, so it would be perfect for me. Even when I was a kid, I absolutely loved console games that supported it like Half-Life on PS2 and Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast (though you had to buy Sega's KB&M since there was no USB on DC). I thought for sure that consoles would pick it up more after that and it never happened; in fact it seems to have outright died since then unless I've missed some.

You know what would be a huge game changer, would make me (and many others) buy this console without hesitation, and could be added at virtually no cost to MS? Keyboard and Mouse support in their games.

I don't know why they don't allow this other than to keep online competitive games fair, but even then you could always put filters in game matches to restrict/allow KB&M players. I play my consoles at my computer desk anyways, so it would be perfect for me. Even when I was a kid, I absolutely loved console games that supported it like Half-Life on PS2 and Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast (though you had to buy Sega's KB&M since there was no USB on DC). I thought for sure that consoles would pick it up more after that and it never happened; in fact it seems to have outright died since then unless I've missed some.
Both PS4 and Xbox One already support keyboard & mouse, as far as I'm aware. It's up to the game developers to allow input from these devices.

Yeah, I've never really had any idea how big of a deal that actually is. I've gone the opposite route. I play all of my PC games with a pad, shooters included...and I'm on a television for everything rather than a desk. Universal gamepad support on the PC was always my wish and now I have it. Even if I wouldn't use it, I'd like to see the opposite. Parity is definitely an issue, though. On a console, you know what you're up against. On the PC it could be damn near anything :p

Both PS4 and Xbox One already support keyboard & mouse, as far as I'm aware. It's up to the game developers to allow input from these devices.

Yeah, I know the consoles support it in their console UI, I should have specified that I wish they would support it in their games; at least the ones that they publish and maybe push other publishers to support it more as well. Because I don't know of any current gen games that support it right now on either console (I haven't bothered to really look it up either, but I know none of the major games that would benefit the most from it don't support it).

Well you can get a Xim, which enabled mouse input in any console game. But yeah it would be nice if there was just default support.

The problem with cross platform play with PC games is I imagine MS would try and use it to push their new UWP standard and not enable cross platform for anything not bought on their store. Fuck that....

I pre-ordered mine, and it's nice to see so many previously released games getting Xbox One X upgrades. I've been thinking about going back and replaying a few games like Quantum Break Halo 5, and Gears of War 4. With those games getting 4K updates I'll definitely play through them again. It's a shame it's not releasing along side Forza 7 in October though.

Back