Microsoft to Gut Longhorn to Make 2006 Delivery Date

GreNME said:
Okay, back to the subject:

Can anyone give me the list of things that are being "gutted out" of Longhorn besides WinFS being moved to an SP release?

I belive Avalon and Indigo communications subsystem are also going to be cut. I read today that they will include them in XP and Win2K3 as SP updates.

Look here at the bottom of the page
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1565227,00.asp

Later

EmbraceThePenguin said:
I belive Avalon and Indigo communications subsystem are also going to be cut. I read today that they will include them in XP and Win2K3 as SP updates.

Look here at the bottom of the page
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1565227,00.asp

Later
Nope, you are incorrect so far. Avalon and Indigo are both going to be in Longhorn, though there will be releases for both XP and 2k3 to allow them to use them as well (though no real details have been given).

Instead of rumor mills and ignorant speculation, how about some actual facts, guys? So far, the only fact is that WinFS won't come until later and some of the features in Longhorn are going to actually become available to XP/2k3.

Where are all the "gutted" things?

jcm44 said:
...I am a sucker for good looks and I want an OS that looks as good as the Mac stuff without the $1000 pricetag for hardware. I don't care if its BEOS, Linux, or MS. I just want something that looks cool.
How's this?

LinuxRocks said:
Actually, I came up with the Wintendo comment first. I have over 20 years in the industry, so I think I have enough knowledge about it to call it what I want to call it. I know exactly what kind of impact MS has on the world, but that doest stop it from manufacturing the worlds most expensive personal gamming OS. Sure, you can use it in the office and even set up a little home file and print server out of it, but in the end, its still a toy; nothing more.
Wintendo, if gaming is all you use windows for, great. The rest of the world has other uses. I'm supporting an ENTIRE COMPANY of windows machines, millions and millions of dollars flow through this company (and we are only a medium size company). If you think wintendo is an accurate name for a platform that's capable of supporting business needs like that... Well, lets just say this whole thread is flamebait, at least, it is now...

This thread was not meant to be about Linux vs. Windows.
Gee, that's all your posting about now...

/me grabs another beer and watches some more

EmbraceThePenguin said:
Here is some more info on the subject from Microsoft.
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1565118,00.asp
Dude, that site is not a Microsoft site. In fact, they seem more like a self-appointed tabloid about Microsoft.

For instance:
  • There is no "XP Reloaded" in existence. It was simply talk about a possible interim release that has never made it past discussion.
  • The site self-links, never pointing to an actual source. Never trust a "journalist" who can't actually cite sources.
  • Even that article cannot actually say anything more than WinFS not being in the release for Longhorn. In other words, it just says that WinFS is the only thing being "gutted."

Just because the site has "microsoft" in the name does not mean that they have any real info on Microsoft. After all, fuckmicrosoft.com has "microsoft" in the name, but is full of horribly false and misleading information.

Gotta give me a little more substance, here...

GreNME said:
Dude, that site is not a Microsoft site. In fact, they seem more like a self-appointed tabloid about Microsoft.

For instance:
  • There is no "XP Reloaded" in existence. It was simply talk about a possible interim release that has never made it past discussion.
  • The site self-links, never pointing to an actual source. Never trust a "journalist" who can't actually cite sources.
  • Even that article cannot actually say anything more than WinFS not being in the release for Longhorn. In other words, it just says that WinFS is the only thing being "gutted."

Just because the site has "microsoft" in the name does not mean that they have any real info on Microsoft. After all, fuckmicrosoft.com has "microsoft" in the name, but is full of horribly false and misleading information.

Gotta give me a little more substance, here...

Gee, sorry, was just trying to help :confused:

Maybe the WinFS is the only thing getting cut. I guess I miss read the article I posted...

/me shuts up

Phoenix86 said:
Wintendo, if gaming is all you use windows for, great. The rest of the world has other uses. I'm supporting an ENTIRE COMPANY of windows machines, millions and millions of dollars flow through this company (and we are only a medium size company). If you think wintendo is an accurate name for a platform that's capable of supporting business needs like that... Well, lets just say this whole thread is flamebait, at least, it is now.../me grabs another beer and watches some more
Although I am blissfully ignorant.. I too support a company which generates millions in sales a year. We have Windows, Linux, and Netware servers sitting in our racks. Our IT business and purchasing decsions were based on using the best tool for the job which meets OUR needs.

I still find Uncle Bill, Micros~1, and Wintendo to be humorous and maybe even subtle terms of endearment.
Are we not allowed to poke fun at Microsoft? I guess I am one who doesn't attach personal sentiments to operating systems...
gotta go... there is a windows server that needs rebooting.. I am KIDDING :p

j4zzee said:
Although I am blissfully ignorant.. I too support a company which generates millions in sales a year. We have Windows, Linux, and Netware servers sitting in our racks. Our IT business and purchasing decsions were based on using the best tool for the job which meets OUR needs.

I still find Uncle Bill, Micros~1, and Wintendo to be humorous and maybe even subtle terms of endearment.
Are we not allowed to poke fun at Microsoft? I guess I am one who doesn't attach personal sentiments to operating systems...

I have noticed that operating systems and those who use them have become somewhat of a religeon (SP?). Like you, we use Linux and Windows (Havent used Net Ware or OS/2 in a while) and like them both.

I dunno, maybe not a religeon (SP?) but maybe a cult following :eek:

Besids, everyone knows that Linux is the best OS ...

/me runs and hides from all the rocks being thrown

I was just kidding about the Linux comment (Dont want to piss off GreNME :D )

EmbraceThePenguin said:
Gee, sorry, was just trying to help :confused:

Maybe the WinFS is the only thing getting cut. I guess I miss read the article I posted...

/me shuts up
Oh, no, don't feel bad. I was just pointing out that we have to be a little skeptical about the rumors that are spreading about. Hey, at least you were one of the few who probably read the article.

And it's not like WinFS wasn't a big deal. It was a huge selling point for the upgrade. Now, as it stands, it looks like the next release will be a typical evolution (not a bad thing), with some bigger changes coming in service packs later (as usual). So, it sounds like more of the same.

I have no problem with that. I didn't switch to XP personally until well after SP1, and may decide to do something similar with Longhorn. We shall have to just wait and see. :)

p.s.—you don't have to worry about pissing me off. :) If Linux is best for you, then that's cool. I like it as well, but of the two I use Windows more, mostly out of personal preference.

j4zzee said:

I'm not saying business only run windows, just that windows is a VERY viable platform for functioning companies, and the wintendo remark implies it's a gaming OS. The fact that your company is trying to be fiscally responsible (trying to use the best tool for the job) and ends up using windows platforms is a good example of this, just like my company.

Sure you can poke fun at MS, but if your trying to make a serious point, using derogatory terms won't help.

For the record I find the wintendo remark funny, not correct, but funny. :p

/me embraces the penguin a little too tight around the neck.

whoops

/me lets go.

Phoenix86 said:
I'm not saying business only run windows, just that windows is a VERY viable platform for functioning companies, and the wintendo remark implies it's a gaming OS. The fact that your company is trying to be fiscally responsible (trying to use the best tool for the job) and ends up using windows platforms is a good example of this, just like my company.

Sure you can poke fun at MS, but if your trying to make a serious point, using derogatory terms won't help.

For the record I find the wintendo remark funny, not correct, but funny. :p

/me embraces the penguin a little too tight around the neck.

whoops

/me lets go.

Cough...Cough.. Chuckle.... Wheew... Thanks man :)

Holy crap you guys reply quickly. Yes I was talking about the ballon popups, I pop them with tweakui, a nice balloon popup popper. So far everything I have seen, says WinFS is the only thing being left out.

And about the linux vs windows thing, is there ever a thread where windows is brought up that linux isn't brought up? I mean they are like an old married couple.

...Leaves to go recompile a kernel and reboot windows 95 version b.

BTW... I can't wait till Longhorn & Longhorn Server actually are released.
I am sure I will be one of the first in line to see Redmond's latest creations...

cd
/me lets go :)

Back