Microsoft to Gut Longhorn to Make 2006 Delivery Date

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Messages
11,549
On the other hand, this could be a sign that they are starting to "get it".

With as many brand new "things" that were supposed to be in longhorn, security would likely have been a nightmare.
 

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
13,486
So uh, should I not buy that 4+ GHz processor and 1 TB of storage now? (it's just a joke, but remember that wild recommended setup for Longhorn?)
 

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Messages
11,549
BillLeeLee said:
So uh, should I not buy that 4+ GHz processor and 1 TB of storage now? (it's just a joke, but remember that wild recommended setup for Longhorn?)
No, I think phoenix hit it right on the head, as far as what you should get.

Speaking of which, here's another of my great food ideas: Beer flavored marshmellows.
 

AppleNick

n00b
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
5
Microsoft is being stupid. One person gets Longhorn, and tells others it's crap. And so on.
 

GreNME

2[H]4U
Joined
May 18, 2002
Messages
2,604
Phoenix86 said:
/me grabs beer and marshmellow.
You love watching people predict the future too, eh?

It's not gonna have WinFS, and the other enhancements are actually going to be shared with previous versions (XP/2k3). That is the only official MS statement.
 

j4zzee

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
290
Remember this is Uncle Bill and Micros~1
2006 actually means first or secound quarter of 2007 :p
The developers must be having a hard time with WinFS... aka XP SP4

Longhorn Server was slated for 2007 which means 2008.
If Longhorn Server isn't out till 2008; Linux will really be able to gobble up some more market share... munch munch :)
 

LinuxRocks

n00b
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
12
Remember this is Uncle Bill and Micros~1
2006 actually means first or secound quarter of 2007
The developers must be having a hard time with WinFS... aka XP SP4

Longhorn Server was slated for 2007 which means 2008.
If Longhorn Server isn't out till 2008; Linux will really be able to gobble up some more market share... munch munch

Yeah, and when NT4 is fianlly put to rest at the end of this year, Linux will gobble as well.

A prediction.... I think the days are coming to and end for MS as we know it. And I'm not just saying this because I like Linux. I really like the Wintendo OS as it plays the games that I like most. But I think MS is burying itself with Longhorn. As they state, they haven’t released a "Major" updated OS since 2K. Even XP was just a face lift. Longhorn was supposed to be the major OS technological upgrade that MS needed to bring them above water in allot of areas, and now that doesn’t look like its going to happen... Sure, MS has ALOT of money, but like the old saying goes, you can buy love :D

Joe
 

j4zzee

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
290
LinuxRocks said:
Yeah, and when NT4 is fianlly put to rest at the end of this year, Linux will gobble as well.

A prediction.... I think the days are coming to and end for MS as we know it. And I'm not just saying this because I like Linux. I really like the Wintendo OS as it plays the games that I like most. But I think MS is burying itself with Longhorn. As they state, they haven’t released a "Major" updated OS since 2K. Even XP was just a face lift. Longhorn was supposed to be the major OS technological upgrade that MS needed to bring them above water in allot of areas, and now that doesn’t look like its going to happen... Sure, MS has ALOT of money, but like the old saying goes, you can buy love :D Joe
The development train in Linux, theBSDs, and now Darwin/OSx is much faster than the "Wintendo" juggernaught. By the time Longhorn is ready to roll in late 2006 or early 2007 Linux will have come a long way. More so than I think Windows will have. The fact that Uncle Bill has to shelve Longhorn "feature sets" means they are behind and are trying to catch up... it should be interesting in 2006 :) Heck I'll bet ya ATI will have full featured video drivers for all Linux distros by then :p
 

LinuxRocks

n00b
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
12
j4zzee said:
The development train in Linux, theBSDs, and now Darwin/OSx is much faster than the "Wintendo" juggernaught. By the time Longhorn is ready to roll in late 2006 or early 2007 Linux will have come a long way. More so than I think Windows will have. The fact that Uncle Bill has to shelve Longhorn "feature sets" means they are behind and are trying to catch up... it should be interesting in 2006 :) Heck I'll bet ya ATI will have full featured video drivers for all Linux distros by then :p


Yeah, wont that be something :)
 

Hiyruu

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 28, 2001
Messages
3,611
You would think that a company as rich as microsoft could make Longhorn quickly.
 

GreNME

2[H]4U
Joined
May 18, 2002
Messages
2,604
Could just one of you guys give me the list of things they "gutted" out, with the exception of not including WinFS until a service pack?

Seriously, guys, just because a "journalist" spews their opinion in an article does not make it true. Jesus, anyone who read the other thread where I actually talked with one would be able to see just how little actual technical knowledge these dweebs have.

So, before the bitching continues, can I get a list of things that have been "gutted" from the release?
 

Phoenix86

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 28, 2002
Messages
6,653
Yep, a linux vs win- what is it now? Wintendo, yeah, a linux vs. wintendo thread...

You sure do sport your knowledge of the business world when you use that term. :rolleyes:

Damn, I burned my marshmellow, crap.
 

j4zzee

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
290
I think eating marshmellows makes people a little too UPTIGHT..sheesh

I don't remember saying Linux is better than Windows (I like and use Windows)
Linux and the Darwin movement have increased competition and MS has to respond

I can't make fun of Microsoft for having never released an OS when they said they would? :rolleyes: :p
 

Phoenix86

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 28, 2002
Messages
6,653
Sure, I guess you can do whatever you want.

No one make software release dates(OSes, apps, games), what's your point? Obviously from your comments your point isn't MS is going to be late, it's MS vs. linux, and you are too biased to make a coherent point.
Uncle Bill and Micros~1
"Wintendo"
Uncle Bill

That wintendo remark kinda shows your ignorance as to just how much busine$$ (*note witty use of dollar sign) is actually done on a win-tel platform.

I'm all for competition, but spewing tripe isn't helping anyone with anything.
 

GreNME

2[H]4U
Joined
May 18, 2002
Messages
2,604
Darwin isn't even a blip on Microsoft's radar. Linux, on the other hand, is a bigger blip than the higher-ups there might like to admit.

However, none of the projections about how "MS is going down" or how "Linux is set up to steal share" is anything that hasn't been said every year now for a decade. Nothing has changed. As far as market share, Linux has remained at 1% on the desktop. In server's, they're kicking ass, actually hurting Unix more than anyone else (which is why SCO's panties are in a bunch), but keeping Microsoft from really growing too fast in that field. None of this means that Microsoft is in any kind of danger from Linux development. The company itself is simply too diversified, and as far as power, ease-of-use, and saturation, the only comparable OS only runs on another platform.

This isn't a slight against Linux. For what it is, it's amazing what it can do and how well it works.
 

NewBlackDak

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
1,322
j4zzee said:
... Heck I'll bet ya ATI will have full featured video drivers for all Linux distros by then :p


Don't hold your breath on that one. It took them about 4 years to get it right in Windows. I'm beginning to think that's why the x800 series wasn't a major revamp. Their software egineers are about 4 lightyears behind their R&D department.
 

LinuxRocks

n00b
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
12
Phoenix86 said:
Yep, a linux vs win- what is it now? Wintendo, yeah, a linux vs. wintendo thread...

You sure do sport your knowledge of the business world when you use that term. :rolleyes:

Damn, I burned my marshmellow, crap.

Actually, I came up with the Wintendo comment first. I have over 20 years in the industry, so I think I have enough knowledge about it to call it what I want to call it. I know exactly what kind of impact MS has on the world, but that doest stop it from manufacturing the worlds most expensive personal gamming OS. Sure, you can use it in the office and even set up a little home file and print server out of it, but in the end, its still a toy; nothing more.

Linux, however, was designed around POSIX (for you young ones here, that is the standard on which Unix was written) which was proven in the industry when Bill Gates was getting his diaper changed (actual timelines aside,. of course). *note: Let’s not get into an argument here about how Linux was developed or what libraries it uses; I made my point, now lets move on....

So, while Microsoft spent more money buying someone else’s code and using the same propaganda methods of WW2 to advertise its OS, Linux was being developed to perform based on scientific standards and technological innovation for use in colleges; it wasn’t arrogant about it's advancement and laid low being developed and didn’t become popular (except for the truly technical folk that needed a power house and not a toy). Linux has NEVER advertised about its technology and major companies never noticed it until "Word Of Mouth" pointed it in the direction it is in now. Seeing that Linux never advertised itself and where it is at today should speak for its self...

This thread was not meant to be about Linux vs. Windows. I was simply offering news to the Window folks here about Longhorn. I use Windows my self as I mentioned before, so news about its OS is important to me. Escpecilly when new games come out :p

Good Day!!!
 

j4zzee

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
290
Phoenix86 said:
That wintendo remark kinda shows your ignorance as to just how much busine$$ (*note witty use of dollar sign) is actually done on a win-tel platform..
You know what they say... Ignorance is Bliss
 

LinuxRocks

n00b
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
12
EnderW said:
I'm cool with that. XP > all other windows

Actually, I prefer using Server 2k3 as my desktop. Performance gain (for me) have been tremendous.

Check out this guild to convert your 2k3 server to a desktop:
http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

Works quite well, howver, I would not recommend paying the moeny for 2k3 server just as a desktop OS, but if you have a legit copy laying around, give it a go :)
 

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Messages
1,569
Longhorn better be fucking good.

Windows 95 --3yrs--> Windows 98 --2yrs--> Windows 2000 --1yr--> Windows XP

It's been since 2001. It's almost 2005, the time lapse has been a long one, Microsoft better pull through. Apple's OSX Tiger is an awesome OS, and it's coming out very soon. Like 1H 2005.

PS: I didn't count WinME, because well, who wants to?
 

GreNME

2[H]4U
Joined
May 18, 2002
Messages
2,604
LinuxRocks said:
Actually, I came up with the Wintendo comment first. I have over 20 years in the industry, so I think I have enough knowledge about it to call it what I want to call it.
Want to know the irony of this?

Linux, however, was designed around POSIX (for you young ones here, that is the standard on which Unix was written) which was proven in the industry when Bill Gates was getting his diaper changed (actual timelines aside,. of course). *note: Let’s not get into an argument here about how Linux was developed or what libraries it uses; I made my point, now lets move on....
So, you state an obviously misleading statement and don't want anyone to call you on your bullshit? Very convenient for you, who just made a previous statement that your dick of experience is longer than the rest of us.

Linux was based on Minix, which was just another in a huge, long list of mini operating systems made in the 80's that were UNIX-like (but not actually Unix). POSIX as a standard is just an API that many operating systems—including the NT kernel—have included various parts of. In fact, the earlier Linux releases were less POSIX and morePOSIX-like than current releases, just the same as early iterations of the NT kernel were not POSIX (though are far more POSIC-like now). Hell, even POSIX itself has changed since the earlier days of Unix, so your claims about the standard are so much sundry bullshit, just using a word you don't fully understand to try to sound intelligent.

So, while Microsoft spent more money buying someone else’s code and using the same propaganda methods of WW2 to advertise its OS, Linux was being developed to perform based on scientific standards and technological innovation for use in colleges; it wasn’t arrogant about it's advancement and laid low being developed and didn’t become popular (except for the truly technical folk that needed a power house and not a toy). Linux has NEVER advertised about its technology and major companies never noticed it until "Word Of Mouth" pointed it in the direction it is in now. Seeing that Linux never advertised itself and where it is at today should speak for its self...
Actually, Linux wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't for huge companies like IBM and Sun backing them, and with other companies pumping huge amounts of cash into them with hopes of a return.

Also, you seem to know jack shit about the origins of the NT kernel, which is nothing like the 9x or previous kernels for the Windows platform. It took many of the approaches Bell Labs took originally in the 1970's, but began implementing them based on newer standards, which began in—and this is not usually well-known—OS/2, believe it or not. A large chunk of developers from the original OS/2 group came to Microsoft to begin developing what eventually became Windows 2000.

Your lack of basic history is underwhelming.

This thread was not meant to be about Linux vs. Windows. I was simply offering news to the Window folks here about Longhorn. I use Windows my self as I mentioned before, so news about its OS is important to me. Escpecilly when new games come out :p

Good Day!!!
In a thread not about Linux vs Windows, it sure is weird to have someone popping on and claiming superior knowledge of the assumed superiority of one platform over another and seeing nothing but rhetorical misinformation spewed.

Good day.
 

Sean

[H] for Life
Joined
Nov 16, 2000
Messages
5,283
Mojo said:
.

PS: I didn't count WinME, because well, who wants to?

Not me thats for sure! (note: I have a windows ME disk!!!! :eek: = I paid MONEY FOR IT!)
 

GreNME

2[H]4U
Joined
May 18, 2002
Messages
2,604
Actually, Eightball, I think his post was the most cogent in this thread so far.
 

jcm44

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 14, 2001
Messages
454
back to the subject...

i am disappointed that MS is already scaling back the OS. I mean we are still some time before 2005, and they are already cutting Longhorn down. To me this signals only the beginning. They will deliver it late and it won't be anything ultra-cool.

I am a sucker for good looks and I want an OS that looks as good as the Mac stuff without the $1000 pricetag for hardware. I don't care if its BEOS, Linux, or MS. I just want something that looks cool.

One thing MS could easily cut would be all those balloon pop ups. I just had to reinstall xp and I was greeted with no less than 5-6 popups. I JUST WANT THE START MENU TO OPEN!!! STOP POPPING UP!!! I think that's what I shouted, of course xp didn't hear me because my mic was not plugged in.
 

GreNME

2[H]4U
Joined
May 18, 2002
Messages
2,604
Okay, back to the subject:

Can anyone give me the list of things that are being "gutted out" of Longhorn besides WinFS being moved to an SP release?
 

EmbraceThePenguin

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
185
jcm44 said:
back to the subject...

i am disappointed that MS is already scaling back the OS. I mean we are still some time before 2005, and they are already cutting Longhorn down. To me this signals only the beginning. They will deliver it late and it won't be anything ultra-cool.

I am a sucker for good looks and I want an OS that looks as good as the Mac stuff without the $1000 pricetag for hardware. I don't care if its BEOS, Linux, or MS. I just want something that looks cool.

One thing MS could easily cut would be all those balloon pop ups. I just had to reinstall xp and I was greeted with no less than 5-6 popups. I JUST WANT THE START MENU TO OPEN!!! STOP POPPING UP!!! I think that's what I shouted, of course xp didn't hear me because my mic was not plugged in.

If I use IE, then I use the Google tool bar. It has a popup blocker on it that works well.

Otherwise, try out Mozilla Firefox. That works good too.

You can also try Spybot - Search and destroy. That has a nice blocker in it that runs as a service I belive and stops stuff like that.

Later
 

GreNME

2[H]4U
Joined
May 18, 2002
Messages
2,604
EmbraceThePenguin said:
If I use IE, then I use the Google tool bar. It has a popup blocker on it that works well.

Otherwise, try out Mozilla Firefox. That works good too.

You can also try Spybot - Search and destroy. That has a nice blocker in it that runs as a service I belive and stops stuff like that.

Later
1. You are talking about the wrong "pop-ups"

2. Great way to "embrace the penguin" there...
 
Top