Microsoft to Announce Xbox One S "All Digital Edition" in April [Rumor]

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Last year, Brad Sams of Thurrott leaked information detailing how Microsoft is expected to announce a Xbox One S without the disc drive. Now Jez Corden of Windows Central has heard that the console is coming and it will be called the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition. Preorders for the console are expected to begin in April 2019 with a May 7th release date. Hints of a Fortnite Edition console are gaining traction also. PC gamers shouldn't be sad as Brad Sams talks about Halo: The Master Chief Collection coming to PC possibly at E3 this year in the video below.

The disc-less Xbox One S would be a first for the company, offering fans the ability to ditch discs altogether and go all-in on digital game licenses. As Microsoft pushes for greater access to its game library via things like the Xbox Game Pass digital subscription and the incoming streaming service Project xCloud, dropping the disc drive from the "All-Digital Edition" should make it the cheapest Xbox console yet, although we have no word on pricing just yet or whether the console will see any design refinements beyond simply dropping the disc drive.

I'm interested in seeing where they go with this. To be quite honest, I am not sure why console gamers are so apprehensive to give up their optical drives. I understand that people like the idea of renting, borrowing, or selling their games, I just don't understand why on PC we've embraced the convenience of going entirely digital, but the concept is mind-blowing for a console. I have three consoles under my TV (Wii U, PS4 Pro, XB1X) and I don't own a single physical disc for any of them. I'll happily pay more and surrender my ability resell in exchange for the convenience of an all digital library. I would be thrilled to see a gaming console come out without any archaic moving parts holding it back... no optical drive and a big SSD.

This is a way for Microsoft to test out a disc-less console, but they need to do a few things right. We're on the tail end of a console generation, and an S can be had around $200 if you shop around or wait for a sale. Releasing another $200+ S model right now will be a flop based on timing alone. $99 and I think it would be a big deal, that's cheap enough to get people to try it just for shits, but I don't think that's realistic. $150, still a good deal for an aging console, but anything more than that and I don't see an interest. I also question the choice to only use the S hardware. Maybe I am wrong but I feel like the casual crowd are the ones less likely to want to give up used/borrowed games... I see hardcore gamers being more interested in a PC-like experience. Come out with a $300 disc-less X and I think that could be a solid way to end this generation. Now you've got a console that's still powerful enough to be relevant for a few years, and maybe even the excuse current OG/S owners need to upgrade.

In any case, if this works, and results in the next generation having a smaller/quieter/cheaper disc-less option, I'll be very pleased. So don't fuck this up, Microsoft.

On the pc it makes sense not to worry about discs for gaming because we have many competitive choices to get digital games. On a console it makes no sense as most digital games are insanely priced compared to getting a disc copy and rarely go on sale. And they really screw you on getting any DLC digitally on consoles too. That said I have gone all digital on my PS4 but bought the complete editions of games and got them on the rare sale which meant usually waiting a looong time.

Would of been better if this was an All digital Xbox One X. Multi-platform games on Xbox One have been an absolute mess. They went from 720-900P games to blurry, stutter low frame rate messes. No one wants to mess around with the Xbox SoC ESram setup.

$99 and I think it would be a big deal, that's cheap enough to get people to try it just for shits, but I don't think that's realistic

I feel this should be possible for MS

Ditch the costly 4k blu ray drive and bundle some 50 retro 360 games for total package price of $150 for console + 'bundled' games

I feel this should be possible for MS

Ditch the costly 4k blu ray drive and bundle some 50 retro 360 games for total package price of $150 for console + 'bundled' games
50 games? NSA For 150? That would be very nice indeed. Maybe too nice and unlikely? Perhaps bundled with 3 months if their game streaming whatchamacallit more likely.

50 games? NSA For 150? That would be very nice indeed. Maybe too nice and unlikely? Perhaps bundled with 3 months if their game streaming whatchamacallit more likely.

Even smarter to include a 6 month subscription to xbox whatnot, with a free game per month.

For some reason people like buying mystery boxes.

I'm interested in seeing where they go with this. To be quite honest, I am not sure why console gamers are so apprehensive to give up their optical drives. I understand that people like the idea of renting, borrowing, or selling their games, I just don't understand why on PC we've embraced the convenience of going entirely digital, but the concept is mind-blowing for a console.
PC users weren't given a choice. Console users had this video go viral:

The original Xbox One plan had aspirations of users needing to dial in every 24 hours to run their games or they would be locked out. Sony saw an opportunity to emphasize full ownership with disc media, and took it. It would have been suicide for MS to push forward with digital only with competition like that.

Bottom line: people want ownership of their games. Sometimes that comes with digital, sometimes it doesn't. On console, discs USUALLY means ownership. Even though it all comes down to DRM, even now, you have people saying they always prefer physical. It's kind of an outdated concept, since DRM can easily render a physical copy a coaster, whereas a GOG game means you own it forever. What those people are actually saying is they want to own their games, the end.

Sounds ok to me. I have 10TB of hard drives connected to my Xbox One X and only have 2 physical disc from people getting me games as gifts. As an option I don't see this being an issue. While there are going to be some people that use the device for a media player also, my guess is that those are the minority. After all there was just the articles about how media is dying off for video. The average person is content with streaming content for movies. So most are not going to be using the disc drive much. So if that allows for a cheaper option that only helps get more of the consoles out there for those that don't really care about the optical drive.

PC users weren't given a choice. Console users had this video go viral:

The original Xbox One plan had aspirations of users needing to dial in every 24 hours to run their games or they would be locked out. Sony saw an opportunity to emphasize full ownership with disc media, and took it. It would have been suicide for MS to push forward with digital only with competition like that.

Bottom line: people want ownership of their games. Sometimes that comes with digital, sometimes it doesn't. On console, discs USUALLY means ownership. Even though it all comes down to DRM, even now, you have people saying they always prefer physical. It's kind of an outdated concept, since DRM can easily render a physical copy a coaster, whereas a GOG game means you own it forever. What those people are actually saying is they want to own their games, the end.

The phone home aspect however was due to what would have been a neat feature. It wasn't just to have it phone home every 24 hours just to lock you out of your games. The intent was that you could setup something like 10 people on a list that you would share your games with. if you were not playing the game at the time or no other friend was playing the game at a time than any of your friends could play the game using your license. If I recall if you started to play the game it would warn you that somebody else was playing it, if you continued to play then the other person was given a short amount of time (think something around 30 minutes) to finish up their game before they got kicked out. Go try playing a good number of PC games without an internet connection and see how that goes for you. Especially since most games people play are online games anyway. In the end I don't think this would have been as major of an issue as people made it out to be at the start.

I'm interested in seeing where they go with this. To be quite honest, I am not sure why console gamers are so apprehensive to give up their optical drives. I understand that people like the idea of renting, borrowing, or selling their games, I just don't understand why on PC we've embraced the convenience of going entirely digital, but the concept is mind-blowing for a console. I have three consoles under my TV (Wii U, PS4 Pro, XB1X) and I don't own a single physical disc for any of them. I'll happily pay more and surrender my ability resell in exchange for the convenience of an all digital library. I would be thrilled to see a gaming console come out without any archaic moving parts holding it back... no optical drive and a big SSD.

This is a way for Microsoft to test out a disc-less console, but they need to do a few things right. We're on the tail end of a console generation, and an S can be had around $200 if you shop around or wait for a sale. Releasing another $200+ S model right now will be a flop based on timing alone. $99 and I think it would be a big deal, that's cheap enough to get people to try it just for shits, but I don't think that's realistic. $150, still a good deal for an aging console, but anything more than that and I don't see an interest. I also question the choice to only use the S hardware. Maybe I am wrong but I feel like the casual crowd are the ones less likely to want to give up used/borrowed games... I see hardcore gamers being more interested in a PC-like experience. Come out with a $300 disc-less X and I think that could be a solid way to end this generation. Now you've got a console that's still powerful enough to be relevant for a few years, and maybe even the excuse current OG/S owners need to upgrade.

In any case, if this works, and results in the next generation having a smaller/quieter/cheaper disc-less option, I'll be very pleased. So don't fuck this up, Microsoft.
It blows my mind that people are too lazy to put in a disc. That slight convince is not worth giving up physical. I swap games with other people at work all the time. Saved me a bunch of money over the years. Digital games on console hardly get discounts. You can get physical copies for $40 on consoles a month afterwards. The drive is not going anywhere anytime ssoon. Once they shut down a server for a old console you will loose access to those games and no those digital games even when backwards compatible don't transfer to the newer system. Also with data caps and shit internet still in a lot of places still. It won't be embraced for a while still.

where i live in Kentucky i can only get 3Mbs internet, would take me all day and then some to download a single game. fk that, even with a new game on disk the updates usually take 12-16 hours.

Gamestop can't make a living selling just consoles. If both Sony and Microsoft go this way all you could have is Nintendo flash cards.

Last edited:
Since i have old 360 games this basically tells me that they really don't want to go forward with the backwards compatibility. To claim a 360 game on Xbox One you need to enter the disc, like proof of purchase.....i'd rather not "re-buy" games i already have on disc.

I'd be all over a digital only console if it's $100 less. One thing that would be cool, is if MS allowed external Blu-Ray/DVD drive support. In the off chance you require to run a physical game or just your circumstances change where all digital doesn't make sense (ie: area with data caps) - you're not totally at a loss.

This basically just allows you to pay less for the console to pay more for media. It limits your options because physical media drops in price a lot faster than digital (if digital EVER drops). Thus why I buy physical almost always for console games. When they release a steam type client that discounts games like they should be discounted to keep up with physical, then MAYBE i'd consider going digital, but unlikely ALL digital. They lock you in and then jack up the prices again of digital media.

Because when the next generation of consoles come out, your digital library is dead, or at least relegated to the old console. On PC you can just keep updating and replacing your hardware/OS and keep your games library.

Gamestop can't make a living selling just consoles. If both Sony and Microsoft go this way all you could have is Nintendo flash cards.
GameStop is irrelevant. They will be out of business in 10 years either way. Console going digital will just quicken it.

MISTER CHEF COMPILATION YEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!! okay they got me if this is real i will be a day 1 buyer. always got that soft spot for me some halo. i hope they have- dedicated servers? awwww yis.

For me it’s simple. I paid for the media. I’d like to have it in my hands. And when I sel a console bundled with 30 games, I make more money.

You buy them digital, you sell just your console. You get zero return on your games, and they are tied to an account and console you may never have or use again.

No thanks.

And the game companies love it. No physical media, much less overhead, and they sell it to you digitally for the same price lol.

For me it’s simple. I paid for the media. I’d like to have it in my hands. And when I sel a console bundled with 30 games, I make more money.

You buy them digital, you sell just your console. You get zero return on your games, and they are tied to an account and console you may never have or use again.

No thanks.

And the game companies love it. No physical media, much less overhead, and they sell it to you digitally for the same price lol.

You're right, however soon I doubt anyone will have a choice in the matter, it'll be Digital or Nothing.

EDIT

I just wanted to add, that, unlike the PC where we have multiple competing marketplaces and weekly Sales. The Console Markets for PS and XBOX tend to continually sell games at full price long after release.

I always have bought SecondHand games for my PS4, mainly as that's the cheapest way to buy.

MISTER CHEF COMPILATION YEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!! okay they got me if this is real i will be a day 1 buyer. always got that soft spot for me some halo. i hope they have- dedicated servers? awwww yis.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that's a thing. There's not many MS properties that I'd be a day 1 buyer for, but Halo: MCC PC would be one.

meh. same reasons I don't support all digital on PC and even less compelling on consoles:

1. data caps and slow download speeds. now I have to dl the 60 GB game in addition to the 60 GB day one patch/ hi res textures/etc

2. expect "this realm is restarting for maintenance (patching)" to now affect all games. or "version incompatible"

3. probably can't lend/trade/buy used games.

4. absurdly, digital versions cost more than the physical versions

This works on PC cause PC has multiple choices where you get your games but not on console. Console it's the DISC or the MS digital store and the store is less likely to lower prices, not to mention you can't borrow games. Also on PC you can share games with your family where on the Xbox it's to only one other Xbox Live account. People will buy it cause it's cheaper but eventually it'll piss people off when they realize the limitations.

Most games I own on consoles are digital. I am willing to pay the extra not to have to go get a fucking disc to authenticate. And using the bluray function in either console is more of a pain to where I just ended up buying blu ray players to use instead. Do I think this is for everyone? No of course not, but there certainly is a market for it if they reduced price is appealing enough.

im just glad my kids are grown and buying their own shit... Too many versions in this cycle lol

Are data caps still a thing in the third world/developing nations?

So this will NEVER happen, but if MS made iit $99 and they would sell a metric shit ton. They'll lose money on each console, but they will make it up on the digital spectrum. OTOH... you know it will come with a 500gb HDD which will suck. You'll constantly be deleting and re-downloading games. But won't happen. It'll probably be like $179 and maybe $149 by next BF or Xmas.

TBH tho, omitting the $20 BR drive isn't a huge deal in cost savings. This is purely a move to go all digital. And for some people with shitty internet or data caps (like, a LOT of the USA) this is not going to go over too well.

I think (like MS gives a shit what I think) is they should take it a step FARTHER. No HDD (or like a small caching one, Optane style), all Streaming games. Redesigned cost reduced corded controller (the Amazon Basic ones are pretty good, so it can be done). $99. I still think they would sell a ton.

Lastly the name is stupid. Call it Xbox One Online edition or something. I would say "Arcade" edition but they already did that.

So I'm going to switch gears for a sec... some people cry about bad internet speeds and they must have their physical copies. Sure. But what about patches? I bought a physical COD:IW recently ($12 FTW, new!) and it still download a 20GB patch. I mean, if people have no/shitty internet, do they just not play the games? Or all they get is the broken beta code that ships on retail copies nowadays?

Are data caps still a thing in the third world/developing nations?

Yes, I have 40gb / 60gb per month plans in India

I would rather buy the costlier Switch than the cheaper Xbox S, because of this

Because when the next generation of consoles come out, your digital library is dead, or at least relegated to the old console. On PC you can just keep updating and replacing your hardware/OS and keep your games library.

How is that any different with hard copies? Backwards compatibility is limited among consoles, I don't see a case to be made that this is a problem unique to a digital library. If MS or Sony implement backwards compatibility in the upcoming generation, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't carry over our digital libraries. I cannot see any logical reason to offer up backwards compatibility but limit it only to physical copies. I'd almost argue the opposite is more plausible, given that they could continue to profit on digital sales, but would not profit off the plethora of cheap used games.

Having your library confined to a single given console is part of owning consoles that has little to do with whether your games are owned physically or digitally. I don't see this as a deterrent for console gamers to avoid digital copies. At best you could argue that they cannot sell off their games when they cease to us the old console... but given what past generation console games sell for, you're at worst out the cost of a couple of McDonalds cheeseburgers. Rare/collectibles aside, physical video games seem to lose their value exceptionally fast. Quite honestly, with my past generation physical games, I'd rather put them in a box and never touch them again than let Gamestop pay me 50 cents a piece for them.

Back