Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion

At least Activision was smart enough to take the overpriced offer unlike Yahoo :LOL:

This is good. Great in fact.

Here's a quote from Spencer from last years documentary (he's talking about Lionhead Studios closure):
"You acquire a studio for what they’re great at now, and your job is to help them accelerate how they do what they do, not them accelerate what you do."

Spencer does a lot of good things for gaming and even though I own PS5 and no Xbox, I might get gamepass just to show my support. Microsoft is way better for gaming than Sony is.
So I have good feeling about this. And maybe there will be more support for Diablo 4 in the future, because Diablo 3 support is very lackluster nowadays.

Report: FTC will file to block Microsoft’s $69B Activision Blizzard acquisition​

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023...crosofts-69b-activision-blizzard-acquisition/

Kotick suggests the merger will "support our hundreds of millions of players," "protect American workers," increase shareholder value, and "Enables two American companies to more effectively compete against the global competitors that dominate the video game industry around the world."

I am sure they will greatly support Sony gamers by no longer selling games on Sony consoles. As for "protecting American workers", the most likely problem would be if Kotick outsources development to foreign studios to increase profit margins. Which is something I expect him to do. If he was concerned about that he should fire himself.

Reactions: erek
like this
Ok so more shitty WoW expansions.

Oh well I had hopes with Microshaft purchasing Blizz we'd eventually get a great WoW expansion or even a true WoW 2.0 game.
I am sure they will greatly support Sony gamers by no longer selling games on Sony consoles. As for "protecting American workers", the most likely problem would be if Kotick outsources development to foreign studios to increase profit margins. Which is something I expect him to do. If he was concerned about that he should fire himself.

US Judge Temporarily Blocks Microsoft Acquisition of Activision (reuters.com)4

Posted by BeauHD on Tuesday June 13, 2023 @10:02PM from the put-on-hold dept.
A U.S. judge has granted the FTC request to temporarily block Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard, scheduling a hearing for a preliminary injunction and preventing the deal from closing until a court ruling is made. Reuters reports:U.S. District Judge Edward Davila scheduled a two-day evidentiary hearing on the FTC's request for a preliminary injunction for June 22-23 in San Francisco. Without a court order, Microsoft could have closed on the $69 billion deal as early as Friday. Davila said the temporary restraining order "is necessary to maintain the status quo while the complaint is pending (and) preserve this court's ability to order effective relief in the event it determines a preliminary injunction is warranted and preserve the FTC's ability to obtain an effective permanent remedy in the event that it prevails in its pending administrative proceeding."

Microsoft and Activision must submit legal arguments opposing a preliminary injunction by June 16; the FTC must reply on June 20. Davila said the bar on closing will remain in place until at least five days after the court rules on the preliminary injunction request. The case reflects the muscular approach to antitrust enforcement taken by the administration of U.S. President Joe Biden.

Back