Microsoft tells people flat out: "Leave it alone... we know better than you..."

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245375

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...dle-with-windows-10-enterprise-group-policies

This isn't really a surprise on any level other than how long it took them to finally get around to actually doing it with a public statement on the matter. It's bad enough that consumers have no level of control at all but when Enterprise clients can't control things on a granular level either, that's a big fucking problem - the whole idea of the LTSB (aside from the long term servicing aspects) was to provide the kinds of granular fine controls that some administrations requested over the years and Microsoft has just flat out said "Fuck you, no..." to them too it seems.

Yes, for the record this security researcher's efforts were on the Enterprise edition and not the Enterprise LTSB edition (which supposedly does allow for that finer granular control) so I suspect he'll be redoing his testing here in the short term and publishing info that again won't be surprising at all.

Ah, well, Windows 10, run it at your peril I guess. :D

I've been a long time defender of Windows 10, but if this is true, it's bullshit.

Microsoft has Group Policy in place to control these settings. By saying they do something but really don't, not only is that lying, it is insulting the intelligence of the community aware of these settings and knowledgeable of how to configure them.

When I am at my business and I need to disable a feature that is causing problems, I expect the setting that says it is disabled to actually mean it is disabled.

Just what companies who actually care about security need - an OS that on the surface allows you to control policies but doesn't actually implement it and allows traffic between unknown sources. Yeah - that will work out well.

Good ol Microsoft continuing to give me reasons to avoid Windows 10 like the plague. If they are willing to screw over businesses they will screw me in any way they can.

Just what companies who actually care about security need - an OS that on the surface allows you to control policies but doesn't actually implement it and allows traffic between unknown sources. Yeah - that will work out well.

This is why people need to wake up and realize that Windows is just a toy. It's not a real OS in where anyone who cares about the safety of their data or business should use!

This is why people need to wake up and realize that Windows is just a toy. It's not a real OS in where anyone who cares about the safety of their data or business should use!

I don't know if I would even call it a toy. Toys are fun to play with where Windows 10 isn't.

I don't know if I would even call it a toy. Toys are fun to play with where Windows 10 isn't.
I think he means it is a toy like those dolls with a microphone which also happen to phone home via bluetooth->internet connection.

Honestly, that does appear to be the case with you.

It's just an old cliché. I've been playing games on general purpose computers games since the late 1970s. It's just something I love to do even though I'm not at all good at it. And I guess that's why I like it, at least good SP games. A way to focus the mind, relax and improve without judgement. An escape without failing a drug test.

Windows is a toy, an insanely powerful one.

It's just an old cliché. I've been playing games on general purpose computers games since the late 1970s. It's just something I love to do even though I'm not at all good at it. And I guess that's why I like it, at least good SP games. A way to focus the mind, relax and improve without judgement. An escape without failing a drug test.

Windows is a toy, an insanely powerful one.

"An insanely powerful one"....Oh dear gawd, come off it.

Gaming is good relaxation, personally though I'll focus the mind by moving out of my comfort zone and trying new things while learning new skills. I've also been an avid computing enthusiast, which naturally involves but is not limited to gaming since the 1970's. Gaming is but one small use of a PC.

Go set up a TV server under Linux or something, get out of that comfort zone you're trapped in and learn new things - At least that way you can make use of that extra power circuit you had installed.

Oh dear gawd, come off it.

You do realize, I hope, that you can actually choose to not respond to every damned post someone else makes around here, right? Right?

I see that's your 3,333rd post - I passed that a few days ago but I've been here a bit longer, you're on a fucking tear with the post count the past few months... maybe, take a break from hitting the Enter key, perhaps? :D

While I don't personally know heatlesssun in the real world, I know from experience here and over at the TabletPCReview forums that he's exceptionally experienced with computer hardware, practically at my level if not more so, and he could more than likely run circles around most people's general and even somewhat specific knowledge on given personal computer related topics and most if not all the popular computer operating systems that have been put into use over the past 3-4 decades, like myself.

I guess you keep missing that but whatever, it's not a surprise I suppose.

You do realize, I hope, that you can actually choose to not respond to every damned post someone else makes around here, right? Right?

I see that's your 3,333rd post - I passed that a few days ago but I've been here a bit longer, you're on a fucking tear with the post count the past few months... maybe, take a break from hitting the Enter key, perhaps? :D

While I don't personally know heatlesssun in the real world, I know from experience here and over at the TabletPCReview forums that he's exceptionally experienced with computer hardware, practically at my level if not more so, and he could more than likely run circles around most people's general and even somewhat specific knowledge on given personal computer related topics and most if not all the popular computer operating systems that have been put into use over the past 3-4 decades, like myself.

I'm an adult Tiberian, thanks for the pointers but I'm old enough to make my own decisions. Feel free to block me if my posts bother you.

Putting people on ignore isn't really an option, if I do that I can't see some of the stupid things they end up posting more often than not let alone the potential jabs at me or others. :D

Putting people on ignore isn't really an option, if I do that I can't see some of the stupid things they end up posting more often than not let alone the potential jabs at me or others. :D

Totally agreed! ;)

Heatless would be totally cool unless he was a windows advocat. That just rubs the wrong way.

Back