Microsoft Technet Subscription Student Discount - $99/yr

BrinNutz

Supreme [H]ardness
Credit to dampier @ SD :

The Microsoft Technet Plus Subscription is back as of June 1st with a new student discount coupon code, bringing the annual cost to $99 + applicable sales tax. No student verification is required. A Technet subscription at this price gives you access to DOWNLOADABLE versions of most Microsoft software products, including XP and Vista, with a multi-use license/activation code good for up to 10 installs/activations per product. If you require additional codes, they are generally available upon request. You can watch a short informational video here: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6597647

This subscription does not auto-renew. Allow three-five business days after ordering for your login credentials to be provided -and- activated on the Microsoft Technet server. You can choose how you wish to download these products. Many are available in .ISO format for direct burning to DVD media, but you can also download compressed versions and, for some products, even versions that are split up for burning on CD media.

Activation codes do not expire, even after the subscription ends.

Technet Subscription Features

Access to all TechNet Plus resources via the members-only TechNet Plus benefits portal for an individual user. Does not include DVD shipments.
Full-version evaluation software without time limits
Beta software releases
Technical Information Library
Professional Support Incidents (2 included)
Managed newsgroups
Online concierge Chat
Technical training resources and Microsoft E-Learning Courses

Microsoft Operating Systems:

Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2003 R2
Compute Cluster
Windows SharePoint Services
SQL Server:
Application Platform Servers BizTalk Server, Commerce Server, Host Integration Server, Connected Services Framework, Customer Care Framework
Business Productivity Servers Content Management Server, Exchange Server, Office Live Communications Server, Office Forms Server, Office Groove Server, Office PerformancePoint Server, Speech Server, Sharepoint Server, Windows Sharepoint Services
IT Operations Servers: Identity Integration Server, Microsoft System Center, Microsoft Operations Manager, Microsoft System Center Capacity Planner, Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager, Systems Management Server, ISA Server
Windows Vista including: Ultimate/Enterprise/Business
Windows XP including: Professional/Tablet PC Edition

Office 2007 Product Line

Office Ultimate/Enterprise/Professional Plus/Professional 2007
Office Word, Office Excel, Office PowerPoint, Office Outlook & Business Contact Manager, Office Access
Office Publisher, Office InfoPath, Office OneNote, Office Communicator, Office Groove, Office SharePoint Designer, Office Visio, Office Project Standard
Office Accounting, Office Business Scorecard Manager, MapPoint, Office FrontPage
Office Project Professional
Office Project Server, Office Project Portfolio Server

Microsoft Dynamics Product Line

Dynamics AX, GP, NAV, SL, Microsoft Forecaster & Microsoft FRx
Dynamics CRM, Point of Sale, Microsoft Small Business Accounting & Financials

Order Instructions

Step One:

Vist http://technet.microsoft.com/en-u...fault.aspx.

Step Two:

Click blue box on right labeled: Microsoft Technet Subscriptions - Buy or renew now!

Step Three:

On this screen, the only box you care about is the one on the left where you choose which version you want. Select the first option: TechNet Plus Direct (ignore price). Ignore the boxes on your right just above the generic blond clipart lady asking for login/subscriber ID. Those are for upgrades/renewals only - you are a new subscriber.

Step Four:

Enter Promotional code: TNSD03 in the box at the bottom.

Step Five:

Your order should show the $99 price, plus applicable sales tax. Complete order using credit card or check and submit.

Important: Do not attempt to resubmit your order if you experience a technical error during processing. Allow 5-10 minutes and check your e-mail box. Due to server load, errors sometimes occur in the confirmation message presented to you, even though the order processed. You may receive a confirmation e-mail for your order anyway. The e-mail confirmation is from: [email protected] and will be titled, "Microsoft Order in Process -- Order Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxx." Check your spam box before assuming it didn't arrive.

Some Common Questions Answered:

Q. Is this for real? I really get ten licenses?
A. I wondered this myself several years ago when I got in on these programs - first with the Action Pack (which sent you a huge binder of CD media with all of their products) and now with Technet (which at this price makes you download the software instead.) Yes, it's completely for real. I have been a subscriber for several years now. These are the full versions, not "trials," "expiring samplers," or software that later gets deactivated. I still have one computer running XP from an Action Pack subscription more than four years old.

In general, most Microsoft software available through Technet uses a single, multi-use activation code that can be used up to ten times before you need to request a new code (or to reset the old one). This code can be used for ten installs. That can be ten installs on ten different computers or ten installs on one computer. It doesn't matter to Microsoft. The code is generated upon request immediately and it's one code per product (not product line). That means one code for Vista Premium good for 10 activations, one code good for 10 activations of Vista Business, one code good for 10 activations of XP Professional 32 bit, one code good for ten activations of XP Professional 64 bit, and so on.

Q. Is student ID required?
A. No identification is requested during the ordering stage or fulfillment of your order.

Q. How long is this coupon code good?
A. As with the last deal, the coupon expiration date will likely be irrelevent. These coupon codes are typically invalidated quickly after they go live due to the SD Effect (among other deal sites), when Microsoft sees a huge spike in orders they presume are from "unqualified" users. You snooze, you lose. Once an order is accepted, it is processed, so you don't have to worry about orders being cancelled once in the system. But future orderers won't get the discount.

Q. How may these products be used in the real world?
A. From Microsoft: "Software included in TechNet Plus Subscriptions is provided with rights to evaluate. Licensed users may install included content on any number of devices for evaluation purposes only. Only the licensed subscriber may use the included products." In the real world, home users can use these products to "evaluate" forever. They are not trial versions, will always be validated when the Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" license checks are performed by Windows Update, and never expire. However, I would consider it risky to use these products in a corporate or business setting (outside of their intended "evaluation" purpose of course). Usually a disgruntled employee is the source of a tip off to the authorities that license violations are occuring, and the penalties in a business environment can be substantial.

Q. Will I be able to get product updates after my subscription expires?
A. Yes, through Windows/Microsoft Update just like any other Microsoft product. All existing product activation keys and licenses will also continue to be valid. However, you will no longer be able to access the Technet site to download new complete versions of software or generate new activation keys/licenses.

Q. Can I get media sent to me?
A. Yes, but for a much higher price. Honestly, burn your own. These products download very fast via Microsoft, which uses Akamai for software delivery (at least for me). It should come close to maxing out your broadband connection.

Q. How long does it take before I get access.
A. Five to seven business days as of two weeks ago. Your order travels through multiple Microsoft offices in different states before your credentials are loaded into the Technet system. It's a bureaucracy what can I say. Sometimes your credentials arrive in e-mail one day before they will work on the Technet system, so if they aren't recognized on the day you receive them in e-mail, try again at the end of the next business day.

Q. Is this deal good outside of the United States?
A. No, with the chance I am wrong about Canada. If I am right: Canadians - find a U.S. friend who can help you complete an order. You get an extra built-in discount because the Loonie is worth something these days, unlike the U.S. dollar. You can reimburse your American friend.

Yeah, saw this posted there. Seems like an amazing deal, even if you are only going to use a copy of XP. You get 10 installs for every program. If you are like me, and you reformat every year, that means that is good for 10 years! (Yeah, I know, look at my math skillz). And it is still valid, even if you change hardware (because it acts just like a retail license). That one piece of software alone makes it worthwhile.

Does that mean I will be able to install a new OS on my computer 2 years after the thing expires?

Does that mean I will be able to install a new OS on my computer 2 years after the thing expires?

Yes, I am pretty sure it does, as long as you didn't use the key associated with that license more than 10 times. If, for whatever reason, you use that key more than 10 times, after a year, you cannot use it any more without continuing your subscription. I think that is how it works, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

This subscription lasts how long? Something isn't completely clicking, its a to good to be true honestly.

This subscription lasts how long? Something isn't completely clicking, its a to good to be true honestly.

It's a yearly subscription. There's no guarantee that the deal will exist in a year. However you can request your keys as soon as your subscription goes through and save them.

It's a year I believe, but does not auto-renew, as the post states.

They did this last year IIRC

Yeah, this is a great deal. I've see these from time to time. Microsoft knows how to get software into people hands for the most part at good prices, they don't advertise it much I guess to keep the less inclined willing to pay retail to do just that.

I've had MSDN subscriptions for 13 years mainly through the places I've worked and I don't think the keys EVER expire no matter how much you install the software.

This type of thing I bet gets the Linux crowds goat!

so. to be clear.

for $99 you get a legal chance to download 10 different keys for each product that microsoft has (basically) and save them for use any time you want, as long as you request and download the keys before the year is up?

it doesnt sound right...

so. to be clear.

for $99 you get a legal chance to download 10 different keys for each product that microsoft has (basically) and save them for use any time you want, as long as you request and download the keys before the year is up?

it doesnt sound right...

It's not exactly that, you can't request ten keys for all of them I don't think. The license is for personal testing, no commercial use. Just don't use them for your small business and you'll be good.

Sounds about right. So, pay, hope you get in before the SlickDeal Effect (though it's all over the internet), which is when they cancel it.

Then download a copy of all the software, and get your keys. Haven't done it, but upon a read of the post, that's my understanding.

so. to be clear.

it doesnt sound right...

As I and others have pointed out this is not new. If you search around this type of deal is almost always out there. I've never had a TechNet subscription, just MSDN, but with MSDN you only have one key for each product that lets you install up to 10 times, but I'm not sure how tight that count is as I would swear that I've used some keys more than that but I've had so many MSDN subscriptions over the years and different sets of keys that I could not honestly say.

The keys DO NOT work with retail versions of products, none that I've tried anyway.

But the installs do act like retail versions, right?

RTFP :

From the First Post! said:
Q. How may these products be used in the real world?
A. From Microsoft: "Software included in TechNet Plus Subscriptions is provided with rights to evaluate. Licensed users may install included content on any number of devices for evaluation purposes only. Only the licensed subscriber may use the included products." In the real world, home users can use these products to "evaluate" forever. They are not trial versions, will always be validated when the Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" license checks are performed by Windows Update, and never expire. However, I would consider it risky to use these products in a corporate or business setting (outside of their intended "evaluation" purpose of course). Usually a disgruntled employee is the source of a tip off to the authorities that license violations are occuring, and the penalties in a business environment can be substantial.

Its a good deal if you want to do it. The MSDN and Technet programs are awesome, especially when you get in on a special.

My issue right now is I have no use for it, already have office 2k7 and all the copies of Vista I need :(

Server 2k8 is tempting though...

Don't worry so much guys!:D As long as you use the software for personal use you'll be fine. Microsoft is just trying to keep people from abusing this deal. Trust me, they want people to get "hooked" on the stuff. They would rather sell all this stuff for $100 than to have you pirate it or not use it at all.

For a $100 for all of this, Linux on the desktop looses almost all of its appeal. That is the point for this kind of deal.

Thanks OP!

I missed the last deal from a couple of months ago... but no way in hell I'm letting this one pass :D.

So let me get this straight, I reformat every 6 months, so I would have Vista Ultimate for 5 years? basically for myself?

Considering I was planning on holding off until Windows 7, this is tempting. And the codes don't expire? after the year is gone?

So let me get this straight, I reformat every 6 months, so I would have Vista Ultimate for 5 years? basically for myself?

Considering I was planning on holding off until Windows 7, this is tempting. And the codes don't expire? after the year is gone?

The codes DO NOT expire and the installs are not counted at least with MSDN. I just realized that I have a 6 year old Windows XP Pro key that I have installed at least a dozen times over the years. Now the number of concurrent uses may be, but you're not going to need 10 concurrent XP Pro installs for personal use.

I know that this deal sounds to be good to be true, but this is the real deal. As I said, Microsoft does this to compete and keep you from doing the Linux and FOSS route, plain and simple. They just don't make it well known to limit the number of people who take advantage.

Right but this isn't MSDN, I am almost 100% convinced, honestly, because I wanted to hold off on Vista, for Windows 7, but for the price, I can use Vista myself, and give the other Vistas to other computers, family in my home. As well as office. (Ps Not my office, Give Office the software to other family members lol!) For now I am the only one with Office 2k7, I'd love to share :)

Though like I said I reformat all computers alot, you don't think Ill run into trouble, and this isn't MSDN, so is there a difference?

**Must find $100 bucks quickly!

Right but this isn't MSDN, I am almost 100% convinced, honestly, because I wanted to hold off on Vista, for Windows 7, but for the price, I can use Vista myself, and give the other Vistas to other computers, family in my home. As well as office.

Though like I said I reformat all computers alot, you don't think Ill run into trouble, and this isn't MSDN, so is there a difference?

Doing that is the same as pirating windows by downloading it off a torrent site or getting a copy from a friend.

The software is for testing, training, and using to demo to customers/clients. Installing it on all of your families machines or at an office is agasint the eula.

Not sure how technet words it as I've had an action pack for years but pretty much with the action pack we can use it for internal servers and to demo for customers(as well as internal training). That is it. We use are copies on some test servers to try stuff before we put it into production. I've also use stuff like project to show clients how it can work for them. Hell the money MS has made of that covers the shit they give me in the action pack.

I've never had a TechNet subscription personally but I've worked with others that have had it and as far I know the program works the same. The keys do not expire. That's already been mentioned in the thread.

You can search for Ed Bott's comments on TechNet in his blogs where this subject comes up and the same answer is given.

Doing that is the same as pirating windows by downloading it off a torrent site or getting a copy from a friend.

The software is for testing, training, and using to demo to customers/clients. Installing it on all of your families machines or at an office is agasint the eula.

Sure I wouldn't recommend giving it away but know where in the EULA does it say you can only test for some specified time period.

The purpose of deals like this is to get honest geeks to give Microsoft some dough, period. They could give a rats ass about "testing" as long as you're not distributing the software to others, then they might get pissed.

Microsoft wants you to get "hooked" plain and simple. They know that when price isn't a big issue, people are more than happy to upgrade Windows and Office. People who get into these deals wouldn't probably by the retail products at retail prices anyway.

The purpose of deals like this is to get honest geeks to give Microsoft some dough, period. They could give a rats ass about "testing" as long as you're not distributing the software to others, then they might get pissed.

Microsoft wants you to get "hooked" plain and simple. They know that when price isn't a big issue, people are more than happy to upgrade Windows and Office. People who get into these deals wouldn't probably by the retail products at retail prices anyway.

Half right. The idea of getting hooked is right on. They want you to know and love their products so you can either sell them to customers and ok them for your business use over someone elces solution.With the education license it is more to learn their stuff so you want to use it in the future.

They have all sorts of programs geared to helping people sell and support their products. They do more then most companies when it comes to this.

With the action packs they are adding in some stupid quizes to help prevent people from abusing them. Not sure how it really helps as I've been told the quizes are very easy(have to take mine to renew in a few weeks) but it shows some effort.

They have all sorts of programs geared to helping people sell and support their products. They do more then most companies when it comes to this.

Bill or Steve, is that you????? :p

Seriously, do you think they really care how many times you install their software/OS? It's about putting their product in front of you so you know nothing else. Semi-sorta-Brainwashing if you ask me, but eh, it works!

IMHO, this is a very smart move because they know that techies can be very resourceful when it comes to obtaining/installing an OS if you know what I mean? At least this does make it more tempting to send them money for the products. I'm even considering jumping on this :D ... Don't get me wrong, I already own 2 copies of XP Pro & 2 copies of Vista that are legit, but I have 2 more PCs to put together that will need an OS.. hmmm.

One thing I wish is that it wouldn't get posted all over the damned net because more often than not, there's going to be a bunch of people that get in on a deal like this that only purchased it for the one time install of Vista. That is, if they can manage to get that far. Inevitably, that leaves some of us SOL that could really use it.

Sometimes I am amazed at how people don't read. When did I say give it away. Granted it was late so I may not phrased it the best way. I said and I repeat based on that EULA that its all for personal home use, and to me thats the point of that software, otherwise why would I do it? or why would anyone do it, of course everyone is putting this in their home. To me I am only interested because I was holding off on XP SP3, until Windows 7, this way I don't have to wait as long for 8 gigs of ram, etc. And when I mentioned office I am talking about the software not a physical office. 10 activations of office is enough. My family members, whom ALL reside in my house are not going to put down 400 dollars for office etc, they normally get their software from me, when I upgrade and if I deem necessary for them to upgrade, as its the only legit way. Because I guarantee none of you drop 400 dollars on 5 computers every year on just office, you may do so, but not all family members will, they'll use the one from work, or etc either you upgrade when needed, or get multiple licenses etc otherwise your SOL. I see this way as a opportunity for me to test Vista X64 without being tied to it, if Windows 7 is much better, and a way to introduce family who reside in the same place as I am, ie Personal use, to the new office 2007, I personally liked 2007 much more than 2003 etc, honestly all versions between 2000 and 2007, were rubbish, and 2007 finally fixed most of my gripes since then. So it makes perfect sense.

I bit.

I already have MSDNAA through my school, but the only useful software it has is Vista Business and Visual Studio Professional. Now I can finally get Vista Ultimate and Office 2007.

Half right. The idea of getting hooked is right on. They want you to know and love their products so you can either sell them to customers and ok them for your business use over someone elces solution.With the education license it is more to learn their stuff so you want to use it in the future.

With the action packs they are adding in some stupid quizes to help prevent people from abusing them. Not sure how it really helps as I've been told the quizes are very easy(have to take mine to renew in a few weeks) but it shows some effort.

Yes, they want developers and techies to evangelize their products, but as I said, they also are looking to curb piracy with programs like this and make a little cash to boot. Microsoft doesn't miss a trick to make a buck. $100 bucks for all the all the latest OS'es and Office for the next couple of years is practically free IMHO. At todays prices $100 is no much.

Of course there are those who only use FOSS, but FOSS isn't always the best solution. There's still a lot of great commercial software, though I love GIMP, Audactity, and Linux is cool, though I only use it on the side here and there.

Thanks Op...I bit was really in need of an exchange server for home use.... Now just gotta find a good smart host....damn you comcast!...<3 u Gmail! :)

What's everyone talking about with getting Windows XP and Vista from this? The opening post clearly says they only offer windows server versions.

EDIT: I can't read. Disregard this post! Haha

Yeah, this is a great deal. I've see these from time to time. Microsoft knows how to get software into people hands for the most part at good prices, they don't advertise it much I guess to keep the less inclined willing to pay retail to do just that.

I've had MSDN subscriptions for 13 years mainly through the places I've worked and I don't think the keys EVER expire no matter how much you install the software.

This type of thing I bet gets the Linux crowds goat!

Because $99 has always been a better bargain than free.

Because $99 has always been a better bargain than free.

Sigh...knew a linux fanboy wouldn't be far behind. I know...crazy cost for software that actually has support for most major hardware out there. :rolleyes:

Back