Microsoft Surface RT Pricing Starts At $499

However, I agree that they are pricing this way high in order not to compete with the OEM tablets. Maybe they don't care that they will only sell a few thousand of these each month.
It just seems strange to me that they'd be advertising it so heavily if that were truly the case. I saw a pretty large number of Surface ads in Beverly Hills yesterday, and it seems they intend to run a number of TV ads for them as well.

I feel like they're sending mixed messages here. I think Ballmer's real intention is for the Surface to compete with the iPad. Considering the size, price point and advertising approach, this isn't at all far-fetched. It is blindingly stupid, of course.

And for all these basic tasks you don't need to blow $500-900 on a Surface RT device.

For one, tell that to the Senior VP that buys one at home and wants them at work then tells all his bigwig buddies that it's the best thing since sliced bread. Oooh shiny! Oh yes, they will buy them by the truckload and make it a new coporate standard. Secondly, it shouldn't cost anywhere near that price considering the kickbacks we get and the lower price point that other vendors like Lenovo will be offering these RT tablets at.

:rolleyes: At 299-399 you'd all be complaining that it wasn't 199-299. Looking for a reason to complain :rolleyes:

For one, tell that to the Senior VP that buys one at home and wants them at work then tells all his bigwig buddies that it's the best thing since sliced bread. Oooh shiny! Oh yes, they will buy them by the truckload and make it a new coporate standard. Secondly, it shouldn't cost anywhere near that price considering the kickbacks we get and the lower price point that other vendors like Lenovo will be offering these RT tablets at.

You actually think businesses will favor Win8 and Metro over Win7? Have you not seen the reviews of Win8 RTM and particularly in the corporate environment? The costs of having to retrain employees to use Windows? If things were that simple, they'd have flocked to Linux ages ago.

It just seems strange to me that they'd be advertising it so heavily if that were truly the case. I saw a pretty large number of Surface ads in Beverly Hills yesterday, and it seems they intend to run a number of TV ads for them as well.

I feel like they're sending mixed messages here. I think Ballmer's real intention is for the Surface to compete with the iPad. Considering the size, price point and advertising approach, this isn't at all far-fetched. It is blindingly stupid, of course.

Totally agree. Microsoft is FAIL at marketing. I don't know why they even try anymore. I don't think MS will ever be "cool" like how Apple is perceived. Maybe MS thinks their ads for their Surface tablets will have a "ripple effect" to steer people towards ANY RT or Pro tablet? MS makes money from the software either way if they sell you a Surface or an OEM tablet. It might just be brilliant.

You actually think businesses will favor Win8 and Metro over Win7? Have you not seen the reviews of Win8 RTM and particularly in the corporate environment? The costs of having to retrain employees to use Windows? If things were that simple, they'd have flocked to Linux ages ago.

On a desktop, hell no. Full steam ahead for Win7. For lightweight connected mobile devices that are very much locked down but can still be managed in a corporate environment that offer the basics? You betcha. Our company is already planning on "market testing" these. I'm not saying it will work, it could be a total flop. But the interest will certainly be there.

Several things people seem to be missing here:

1. It's supposed to be expensive on purpose. This is Microsoft's version of their Windows RT tablet. This is because MS doesn't want to compete with their hardware partners. That's not what they're trying to do here. MS does not want to piss off the hardware partners that have been selling Windows and making MS successful all these years because that would just be stupid. MS intentionally made theirs cost more so that their hardware partners (Asus, Dell, HP, etc) can sell their OEM version of the RT tablets with more features and a lower price point. If ya'll would just chill, wait for the other vendors to start selling their versions and you'll likely be a lot more interested in those.

So the strategy is:

1) Make something that doesn't look like cheap plastic junk you see in a bargain store, then make it NOT widely available and NOT priced to move.

2) Give more breathing room for companies like Acer, that actually sells countless millions of units do to the lowest pricing, to ruin the image and reputation of new product.

Good plan. Because consumers aren't going to buy the cheapest Win 8 tablet and think "This is junk. I should have bought Microsoft's own Premium Signature Tablet." as opposed to "Wow. Windows sucks, I should have got an iPad."

So the strategy is:

1) Make something that doesn't look like cheap plastic junk you see in a bargain store, then make it NOT widely available and NOT priced to move.

2) Give more breathing room for companies like Acer, that actually sells countless millions of units do to the lowest pricing, to ruin the image and reputation of new product.

Good plan. Because consumers aren't going to buy the cheapest Win 8 tablet and think "This is junk. I should have bought Microsoft's own Premium Signature Tablet." as opposed to "Wow. Windows sucks, I should have got an iPad."

You're right, *BUT* MS has been upset for years at their OEMs because of the bloatware and crap they do to make Windows' image look bad. With Surface, MS is showing the OEMs an example of a quality producy. ALSO Microsoft wanted the OEMs to get it right this time and if you look at Microsoft's criteria and specifications that they are holding the OEMs to this round with Windows 8 devices, you'd be very surprised. The OEMS are basically forced to NOT make a piece of junk.

On a desktop, hell no. Full steam ahead for Win7. For lightweight connected mobile devices that are very much locked down but can still be managed in a corporate environment that offer the basics? You betcha. Our company is already planning on "market testing" these. I'm not saying it will work, it could be a total flop. But the interest will certainly be there.

Judging by your previous post, you're expecting these to replace laptops and desktops both, or at least partially for the work environment. How is that supposed to jive with a poor keyboard and limited application selection, I don't know. In fact, how are these going to be any different than Android/iOS tablets with Office?

I think the pricing is too high. It doesn't matter if this thing has more memory than an iPad, the average consumer is just going to look at the sticker and go with the iPad.

I don't think anyone wants to be doing any MS Office related work on what is essentially a shitty cloth keyboard. Doing any sort of lengthy typing is going to lead to suicide.

Although they aren't out yet, the mechanical version of the Surface keyboard that should be launching with the Pro version will also be compatible with the RT version.

:rolleyes: At 299-399 you'd all be complaining that it wasn't 199-299. Looking for a reason to complain :rolleyes:
I like this. Surrounding paragraphs in rolleyes is a beautiful way to signal that everything between those rolleyes should simply be ignored.

Judging by your previous post, you're expecting these to replace laptops and desktops both, or at least partially for the work environment. How is that supposed to jive with a poor keyboard and limited application selection, I don't know. In fact, how are these going to be any different than Android/iOS tablets with Office?

No, not at all. Desktops are still very much needed. It does have its place though on comparing to low powered, lightweight highly mobile laptops. I'm also not saying these are any better than Android/iOS devices either, just another alternative. Our company has a ton of iPads out there now actually. For us, the belief is there though that the Microsoft ones will be easier to be managed (for IT) in a corporate environment (for our specific environment set up). YMMV. Again, whether that turns out to be true or not is still a mystery until we get our hands on them and test. It could suck ass. I've heard many complaints regarding the (perceived?) difficulty in managing the iOS devices, and I don't know enough about the Android devices in a corp environment to comment my opinion.

You're right, *BUT* MS has been upset for years at their OEMs because of the bloatware and crap they do to make Windows' image look bad. With Surface, MS is showing the OEMs an example of a quality producy. ALSO Microsoft wanted the OEMs to get it right this time and if you look at Microsoft's criteria and specifications that they are holding the OEMs to this round with Windows 8 devices, you'd be very surprised. The OEMS are basically forced to NOT make a piece of junk.

If Microsoft was making reference boards and chassis while forcing OEMs to use them that could work, if not the OEMs will find a way to cut corners. Be it plastics, screen, surface mount caps, whatever.

IMO what MS should have done is said to the OEMs:

"Look we can't fail or you'll all end up with in an HP firesale scenario. Instead of spending 1.5 Billion on marketing, we care going to make this tablet and sell it too you way under cost. Then you slap a stick with your name on it, don't touch the software and you can have some margin. We'll make our money back by getting apps ported and selling them on the store. We'll give you a small percent. Deal?"

Microsoft has failed at every other attempt to move into the hardware market. Why the hell should this be any different.

MS Hardware plus Metro = Double Mega Epic Fail.

I don't think it's gonna be long before share holders demand Ballmers Head on a Pike.

I could understand opting to go with the Surface Pro due to the x86 compliance in a corporate setting, but you're still dealing with users who hate Win8 and a Metro interface that doesn't lend itself to productivity. Have you tried Win8 and Metro in particular? For your average user, they'll be completely lost. Furthermore, Metro is still severely handicapped with respect to multitasking and that outdated Tegra 3 SoC isn't helping either.

It just isn't a corporate device nor is it a corporate or productivity focused operating system. Granted, neither are iOS nor Android, but I'm just not seeing what WinRT is going to offer you that you couldn't get elsewhere.

I'm not saying it may not work out. All it takes is a single person in a high position to make it happen, but the overwhelming majority of the corporate and business world has been more than unimpressed with Win8. The sheer difficulty of having to transition everyone over, or splitting it into two OSes, environments and devices, seems just crazy to me.

If Microsoft was making reference boards and chassis while forcing OEMs to use them that could work, if not the OEMs will find a way to cut corners. Be it plastics, screen, surface mount caps, whatever.

Sure that makes sense. But then again, you don't expect to pay for a Toyota Corolla and get a Lexus for the same price do you? The good thing about this is you have OPTIONS. If you want the slick sexy product, you pay for it. If that's not in your budget, or it's just extra fluff you don't need/want you take reasonable precautions and weigh the pros and cons of paying a lower price point.

The OEMs that make a shit product will be the ones that lose because people will stop buying them and they'll blame it on the vendor name I think, not on Microsoft because it's the vendor's name on it. The cheap screen that cracked or died... people will bitch at the OEM for, not MS. The software runs the same way whether it is vendor A or B. If an OEM decides to make a comparable or even nicer product than the Surface tablet for a reasonable/cheaper cost then that's what people will buy.

I think the pricing is too high. It doesn't matter if this thing has more memory than an iPad, the average consumer is just going to look at the sticker and go with the iPad.

I would agree, but the goal of Microsoft with Surface devices was never to flood the market with hardware and squeeze out their competitors. The primary goal of Surface was to create an identify for Windows 8. Surface is the first PC model that millions of people will know by name, even if they are low-volume devices compared to the iPad.

At the prices that Windows RT devices are coming in at, they do look like niche devices.

Just found out the head of IS department is looking at these (Pro models from Lenovo) as laptop replacements for our sales guys. He likes the way they can convert to tablet from an ultrabook style. Hopefully, Pro models will be available by March.

$399 is the sweet spot for any iPad competitor. The RT model is just that. It's a locked down tablet PC. Pro models can be more expensive as they are genuine x86 compatible laptop replacements (if need be). RT isn't bad at all and it can complete very well against the iPad. But, you have to give consumers a push to go for it. They won't just go with a Windows tablet because it says Windows or Microsoft on it, regardless of what they have at home. iPads are the "in" thing. They work great. Everyone knows what they do. The Surface is a new toy, unproven, and just another tablet (even if they are extraordinary, in the eyes of the consumer, they are just like any other).

but you're still dealing with users who hate Win8 and a Metro interface that doesn't lend itself to productivity. Have you tried Win8 and Metro in particular? For your average user, they'll be completely lost. Furthermore, Metro is still severely handicapped with respect to multitasking and that outdated Tegra 3 SoC isn't helping either.

It just isn't a corporate device nor is it a corporate or productivity focused operating system. Granted, neither are iOS nor Android, but I'm just not seeing what WinRT is going to offer you that you couldn't get elsewhere.

I agree. Productivity it is not. It is certainly a "consumer" device which most people are doing now with "consuming" audio/video/web sites, etc. with their phones and tablets. But MS is rightly very much focusing this as a consumer device and NOT for business (yet).

And I have been using Win 8 on my primary desktop for over a year. I'm STILL getting used to the new interface and can't say that I like everything about it. Training would certainly be an issue if you moved to this right now. But remember, this is very much a "1.0" product. It's not "instant win". It may fail. But no matter what, this is the direction MS is going and pretty soon MS will have the kinks worked out, and the new interfaces will be tweaked and become second nature to everyone, just like moving from "Program Manager" in Win 3.1 was and we all moved to this new "Start Menu" thing. It was weird at first but now it's common. MS is doing the same thing now with the "Start Screen" and Metro/Modern interface. Also that turd Tegra 3 chip won't be in every RT device. I'm looking forward to what AMD is going to do with this.

Sure that makes sense. But then again, you don't expect to pay for a Toyota Corolla and get a Lexus for the same price do you? The good thing about this is you have OPTIONS. If you want the slick sexy product, you pay for it. If that's not in your budget, or it's just extra fluff you don't need/want you take reasonable precautions and weigh the pros and cons of paying a lower price point.

The OEMs that make a shit product will be the ones that lose because people will stop buying them and they'll blame it on the vendor name I think, not on Microsoft because it's the vendor's name on it. The cheap screen that cracked or died... people will bitch at the OEM for, not MS. The software runs the same way whether it is vendor A or B. If an OEM decides to make a comparable or even nicer product than the Surface tablet for a reasonable/cheaper cost then that's what people will buy.

I don't disagree in pricipal. I like options, but then again I'm an early 30s male enthusiast niche demographic, not a 12 - 45 year old girl that turns Justin Bieber and Apple into gold mines.

Put on some lipstick and a bra and tell me what Microsoft should do.

I'll also mention in regards to my last post that MS is on an extremely fast pace/patch cycle with Windows 8. I shit you not, MS already has what equates to a Service Pack 1 ready to go that is being released BEFORE Windows 8 is even out yet for "General Availability". They've also already heavily updated their built in "modern" apps and they'll essentially have what we would normally perceive as a "Windows 9" style upgrade before a year even passes. If Win RT/8 is a turd is certainly won't be from a lack of trying and updating/sitting on their ass on Microsoft's part. Combine this with what MS is doing with their services. Bing. Skydrive. Outlook. Xbox Music (a true all in one service not offered by any of the other big players. etc. I think MS might just be able to pull their head outta their ass this time and make it work.

They've also already heavily updated their built in "modern" apps and they'll essentially have what we would normally perceive as a "Windows 9" style upgrade before a year even passes.

Similar to how they update the Xbox and the styles there. Just change it without a major refresh. Seems to work there, but there really isn't any "work" being done on an Xbox.

I would agree, but the goal of Microsoft with Surface devices was never to flood the market with hardware and squeeze out their competitors. The primary goal of Surface was to create an identify for Windows 8. Surface is the first PC model that millions of people will know by name, even if they are low-volume devices compared to the iPad.

At the prices that Windows RT devices are coming in at, they do look like niche devices.

I await your next definition for "success."

I'll also mention in regards to my last post that MS is on an extremely fast pace/patch cycle with Windows 8. I shit you not, MS already has what equates to a Service Pack 1 ready to go that is being released BEFORE Windows 8 is even out yet for "General Availability". They've also already heavily updated their built in "modern" apps and they'll essentially have what we would normally perceive as a "Windows 9" style upgrade before a year even passes. If Win RT/8 is a turd is certainly won't be from a lack of trying and updating/sitting on their ass on Microsoft's part. Combine this with what MS is doing with their services. Bing. Skydrive. Outlook. Xbox Music (a true all in one service not offered by any of the other big players. etc. I think MS might just be able to pull their head outta their ass this time and make it work.

They had to have a SP1. Have you not seen the issues with DPC latency? The RTM versions had a serious bug where a background program like audio would stutter due to overly aggressive idle/sleep states.

They had to have a SP1. Have you not seen the issues with DPC latency? The RTM versions had a serious bug where a background program like audio would stutter due to overly aggressive idle/sleep states.

Yes I certainly have, and experienced it myself, lol. MS openly admits in certain terms that Windows 8 was essentially "not ready" at RTM. But 99% of the core of the OS runs great with only a few performance issues and a few bugs. Many of those have already been fixed and before Win8 is even available we'll have the patches for them via their auto-updating mechanisms. The core is what MS had to focus on first to get it out the door. The runtimes and structure for everything is there and it's solid and they needed to do that so developers could prepare their software and drivers so that we don't run into another Vista debacle.

Now, MS needs to focus on improving the services and experiences post-release (which will happen over time) with of course fixing the little security holes and bugs we find along the way.

Tegra 3 is outdated by now. It can't compete with the ipad 2 much less the new ipad.

There are android tablets with A15 coming out soon, faster and probably cheaper than Surface.

I think AMD has an opportunity here with hondo tablet if the price is right.

Hondo? haha. It's not coming to market. None of the big OEM's are using it.

I await your next definition for "success."

I don't think the definition of success or failure for Windows 8 and Windows RT is going to be easy. Combined, Windows 8/RT devices and licenses are going to sell in the hundreds of millions and should outsell any other non-phone ecosystem. 200 million Windows 8/RT devices by the end of next year should happen without much sweat. Is that success or failure?

I'm not sure who would be interested in a tablet at all with such little functionality (ipad or RT). But that's just me. I'm really looking forward to the Pro version as a laptop replacement.

Actually I think this is the exact problem, they should have released the Pro version first as it's the game changer, and then 3-5 months down the line release the RT version for those who don't need the full functionality of the Pro.

Yes I certainly have, and experienced it myself, lol. MS openly admits in certain terms that Windows 8 was essentially "not ready" at RTM. But 99% of the core of the OS runs great with only a few performance issues and a few bugs. Many of those have already been fixed and before Win8 is even available we'll have the patches for them via their auto-updating mechanisms. The core is what MS had to focus on first to get it out the door. The runtimes and structure for everything is there and it's solid and they needed to do that so developers could prepare their software and drivers so that we don't run into another Vista debacle.

Now, MS needs to focus on improving the services and experiences post-release (which will happen over time) with of course fixing the little security holes and bugs we find along the way.

I'm not sure people are going to be impressed with RTM in its current state, even post initial update. Most users are focused around the selection of the applications offered in the respective app stores, whether Google Play or iOS App store, and that happens to be a place where Metro lacks significantly behind. I've seen the argument that "It'll get better" and I don't doubt that it will, it's still too late for many potential consumers. While iOS and the Android store both started from humble beginnings, they also had the benefit of starting early. MS has done very little to court developers to date, and as a result has a very small selection which has to compete with both Android and iOS.

It seems every way I look at it, MS believes they live in a vacuum. They think they're offering enough for the price, yet people know it's too expensive for what you're getting. MS believes that the Metro ecosystem is sound and Win8 is a good hybrid operating system yet they're completely ignoring the serious issues with it on RT (being that you only get ARM Microsoft-approved Metro applications... have fun with like 5 apps), and the obvious afterthought it's been on the desktop. And this "hybrid device" has been done already on both Android and iOS just by adding a keyboard.

I mean, whichever way I look at it, I see absolutely zero tangible benefits. There is no way that Microsoft is able to distinguish itself from the other two, and in fact the only potential benefit, MS Office, is being ported over to ARM. So what are you getting exactly?

It seems every way I look at it, MS believes they live in a vacuum. They think they're offering enough for the price, yet people know it's too expensive for what you're getting.

Of course Microsoft doesn't think they live in a vacuum, if they did do you honestly think that Windows 8 would be designed the way that it is. I do agree that there's an uphill battle on the app side, but one that is doable.

Putting Windows 8 fanboyism and hate aside, 200 million Windows 8/RT devices being sold over the next year is a perfectly attainable goal. That's a an extremely large market for apps and one that most developers I think will want to get in, especially given the open field provided by the Windows Store compared to the very crowded ones of iOS and Android. And the truth is Microsoft is aggressively courting developers and spending millions on getting apps into the store.

So initially it will be rough but in the coming year I would expect almost all AAA tablet titles to come to Windows 8 along side iOS and Android.

I'm not sure people are going to be impressed with RTM in its current state, even post initial update. Most users are focused around the selection of the applications offered in the respective app stores, whether Google Play or iOS App store, and that happens to be a place where Metro lacks significantly behind. I've seen the argument that "It'll get better" and I don't doubt that it will, it's still too late for many potential consumers. While iOS and the Android store both started from humble beginnings, they also had the benefit of starting early. MS has done very little to court developers to date, and as a result has a very small selection which has to compete with both Android and iOS...

...I mean, whichever way I look at it, I see absolutely zero tangible benefits. There is no way that Microsoft is able to distinguish itself from the other two, and in fact the only potential benefit, MS Office, is being ported over to ARM. So what are you getting exactly?

Yep, MS is showing up to this party very late. But they've promised 100,000+ apps in the first 3 months after general availability. You've also got to consider there is a ridiculously higher number of developers for Microsoft-based products than there are for Android/iOS. I think because of that MS will catch up very quickly. Developers will want to develop for Win 8 simply because of the huge user base. No, I don't think Microsoft is making it easy for the developers though. To me, it seems like another shift like older style VBA/VB6 was to .NET. It's a pain in the ass and developers aren't going to get there easily.

About the desktop, I think there is a lot to offer as far as new updates MS gave it. I won't list them all here, but there are quite significant updates there. But it's not going to be huge, and it doesn't have to be because MS already has a solid Windows 7 foundation out there for that. Tack on some nice updates, and that's all it needs for now. Their focus was on their services and metro this time around as it should be if they want to stay competitive and diversify their product otherwise it's just going to get stale. They had to do something new or else Apple will continue to eat them for lunch.

I agree that if you already have Windows 7 on a desktop, there's probably not much reason to upgrade. Wait for the next one. But that's not where it needs to shine this round. It's going to be on the new devices that are being released (and is typical to how most consumers get a new version of Windows anyway).

My plan as well.

Of course Microsoft doesn't think they live in a vacuum, if they did do you honestly think that Windows 8 would be designed the way that it is. I do agree that there's an uphill battle on the app side, but one that is doable.

Putting Windows 8 fanboyism and hate aside, 200 million Windows 8/RT devices being sold over the next year is a perfectly attainable goal. That's a an extremely large market for apps and one that most developers I think will want to get in, especially given the open field provided by the Windows Store compared to the very crowded ones of iOS and Android. And the truth is Microsoft is aggressively courting developers and spending millions on getting apps into the store.

So initially it will be rough but in the coming year I would expect almost all AAA tablet titles to come to Windows 8 along side iOS and Android.

The courting hasn't worked. In fact, the WP8 SDK hasn't even been released to developers with the OS and its devices supposed to come out in 2 weeks. Courting developers? No...

Secondly, Microsoft have only ordered 3-5 million devices and expect to sell only that many for the remainder of the year. I'm not sure where you're getting 200million Win8/RT devices from. Where are you getting this enthusiasm from? The retail channels have already stated they expect very slow sales and PC sales are slipping, down over 8% from last year at this time.

http://www.ibtimes.com/worldwide-pc...unch-lenovo-sees-growth-others-decline-844509

With just weeks before the public launch of Windows 8, users are five times less likely to be running the new OS than they were Windows 7 at the same point in its countdown, an analytics firm said today.

The newest numbers from California-based Net Applications portray a tepid reception so far for Windows 8.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9231900/Poor_pre_launch_showing_plagues_Windows_8

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/windows-8-a-bad-bet/61455
http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-windows-8-sales-expectations-low-says-topeka-2012-10

Windows 8 Expectations Plummet and PC Trends to Remain Difficult. The sentiment around Windows 8 was overwhelmingly negative during our trip as the supply chain is experiencing little life ahead of the October 26 launch. Although October is expected to be the sweet spot for the notebook ramp for Windows 8, and further follow through is likely in November, we were warned of idle facilities in December.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/micr...tations-low-says-topeka-2012-10#ixzz29UZjEBqC

I understand you're the biggest win8 fanboy on these forums, but that's no reason to live in an alternate reality. 200million devices over the next calendar year? You must be crazy. Even the most hopeful expectations wouldn't reach half of that figure.

Is the SDK even out? I was listening to a podcast I think last Friday for Windows Weekly that said the SDK was not out yet and release for this thing is suppose to be end of Oct? 3 months to release 100,000 apps seems pretty over confident.

If their plan is to use emulators, then they're in for a rocky ride most likely.

Also what huge user base do you speak of?

Yep, MS is showing up to this party very late. But they've promised 100,000+ apps in the first 3 months after general availability. You've also got to consider there is a ridiculously higher number of developers for Microsoft-based products than there are for Android/iOS. I think because of that MS will catch up very quickly. Developers will want to develop for Win 8 simply because of the huge user base. No, I don't think Microsoft is making it easy for the developers though. To me, it seems like another shift like older style VBA/VB6 was to .NET. It's a pain in the ass and developers aren't going to get there easily.

About the desktop, I think there is a lot to offer as far as new updates MS gave it. I won't list them all here, but there are quite significant updates there. But it's not going to be huge, and it doesn't have to be because MS already has a solid Windows 7 foundation out there for that. Tack on some nice updates, and that's all it needs for now. Their focus was on their services and metro this time around as it should be if they want to stay competitive and diversify their product otherwise it's just going to get stale. They had to do something new or else Apple will continue to eat them for lunch.

I agree that if you already have Windows 7 on a desktop, there's probably not much reason to upgrade. Wait for the next one. But that's not where it needs to shine this round. It's going to be on the new devices that are being released (and is typical to how most consumers get a new version of Windows anyway).

This is an interesting debate. I too am waiting for the surface pro stuff to come out.

Back