Microsoft Spent $1 Billion On The 360’s “Red Ring Of Death”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Xbox One may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but at least it didn’t end up with an exceptional fumble like the RROD.

"It was the biggest decision I made in my 22 years at Microsoft, no question," Bach told Tech Insider in an interview. It was Bach and his team at Microsoft's Xbox division that were ultimately culpable for a huge defect with the Xbox 360 game console, known as the "Red Ring of Death." The "Red Ring of Death" problem was a massive hardware issue that caused a huge number of Xbox 360 consoles to stop working. The system would flash a ring of three red lights around its power button on the front face (seen above). Thus the nickname.

Nice article that shows a group of people very dedicated to its success

Is it me or did they still not actually say what caused it? I know as will most everyone here but you'd think they include that.

i tihnkthis nic artile just kidna keept repeating itself in diffrent ways without even getting close to any kind of information

Basiscally it can nbe summed up to. " We made a design flaw by dedication beauty above enginering". would love some actual information.

I think a lot of firms back then were still getting used to RoHs lead free solder and not aware of the expansion/flexibility issues. Ask nVidia....

It is a amazing what you can pay for when you got 10s of Billions in the war chest.

Or another way of saying it is, they took care of the problem and did not ignore it. Then they fixed it with the slim model and the rest is history. (Or, lead free solder is a bad thing, a very very bad thing. :D)

Yar

Cooling was way too inefficient, half the problem. One tiny passive heatsink on the first model for both CPU and gpu . I can't remember the tdp, around 225 watts?

Or another way of saying it is, they took care of the problem and did not ignore it. Then they fixed it with the slim model and the rest is history. (Or, lead free solder is a bad thing, a very very bad thing. :D)

RoHS solder sucks so much. I much prefer soldering with leaded stuff.

You know what doesn't have RRD? PC! And PC has a working 360 emulator called Xenia. Take that Microsoft.

LOL There was a guy on youtube who called it the Red Asshole of Death he hated the X-Box so much.

My first 360 back in tha day had that issue.. Moved to PC, haven't looked back since :cool:

My 2006 360 went down with it September 2008. Return was simple and swift. It's still going strong since.

I tried the repair by rebaking with the CPU reclamped down. I knew it was a 50:50 crapshoot. Unfortunately I lost. I bought a new one, sold the old DVD drive, new controllers, and old power supply. Walmart was giving away $100 gift cards that christmas with a XBox360 purchase, so I got a new xbox for ~$25 after I sold off the old parts.

Back