Microsoft Sold Over 8M Kinects in 60 Days

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft also announced at CES that it has sold over 8 million Kinects in just two months and now has some 30 million Xbox Live users. Wow.

Microsoft Corp. has shipped more than 8 million Kinect sensors for its Xbox device, topping the company’s forecasts, and now has 30 million users for the related Xbox Live online service. The company also plans to add the Hulu Plus online- television service to Xbox Live and Kinect in the U.S. this spring.

Not surprising given that it's been tinkered with by people who don't even own an XBox.

I knew that this way going to be a hit. Props to MS for trying something a little different. It seems to be paying off for them pretty well

I have yet to try a kinect, but I certainly want to. If I ever fix my 360, I might just hop on the bandwagon. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

MS did a great job getting the Kinect all over TV and building people's interest. Even my mom asked me about it, and I was like "Yeah I have one of those in the house already..." and she flipped out and wanted to try it.

I'm waiting until they get some good games but it's definitely on my "want" list

I still find this funny that so many people are impressed with the Kinect after all the bad-mouthing that took place due to the 'gimmicky' Wii.

Kinect is for sure on my buy-relatively-soon list, its very polished, more so then I expect.

We grabbed the bundle for the kids for Christmas. It is a hoot, and gets them off their ass! Also, it is fun to watch my wife play dance central, ifyouknowwhatI'msayin'...

We have had a wii since it came out. Never cared either way about the Wii control scheme, but love the Kinect. Just feels more natural.

I still find this funny that so many people are impressed with the Kinect after all the bad-mouthing that took place due to the 'gimmicky' Wii.

Day one wii owner here. I didnt think being controllerless would be that different from the wii, but it is. Cant really describe it.

Not impressive considering the money they spent marketing it. They made half that cash back.

They've *shipped* over 8 million, not sold. Some Microsoft Rep clarified that after Ballmer's speech.

Of course. Mothers LOVE the kinect. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE.

1. children + hubby HAVE to get off the couch AND move around to play.
2. no controllers, wands or floor pads = nothing to break (added expense), no game specific controllers (added expense), no time wasting hunting down lost/under couch/under cushion controllers, nothing to step on with bare feet in the middle of the night!!!!!, NO CLUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!.

It's a mother's dream come true.

And then there's that hi-def, detect finger movement, capability baked into the hardware and coming as soon as they can make it work ... THAT is going to be killer and make ALL game genres playable with kinect.

And then there's that PC kinect thing happening + hi-def kinect on console shooters, once it's refined, will make it possible for consoles to compete with pcs in online matches. Or for console kinect vs. pc kinect online gaming, especially for people like me who don't even own a pc monitor and do everything on a 1080P big screen.

I enjoyed kinect for about a day... I bought it solely for the voice and hand control which is lacking in anything except zune... once the new dashboard comes adding it to netflix i'll be a happy camper.

Now when Asus releases their Kinect for PC next quarter, i'll be a really really happy camper. I feel hand / voice control on PC will be adopted really quickly.

Our family owns nearly every console known to man, and I've never seen a new system create as much of a stir or get used so much as our Kinect. It's just plain fun.

Wow, congrats to MS. Too bad Kinect has a little bit of a lag when playing a game. Wii doesn't have as much of a noticeable lag. I haven't played PS3/Move yet.

the PS3 Move is reported as the most accurate of all of them, the only problem is it still uses "controllers" but its mainly a hybrid of both systems and seems to work just fine.

Some of us can admit when we're wrong and move on. I still don't like the Wii but that doesn't change the fact that I was wrong and everyone else loves it.

On a side note,

I wonder how long it will take for someone to come up with and actively use a console hack/exploit that will allow access to an individual's kinetic to spy on them...

8 million shipped != 8 million sold.

Every Walmart, Toys R Us and Bestbuy I've been to since the launch of the Kinect has hundreds of boxes on display.

First month Wii owner, and 2nd month Kinect Owner.

The WiiMote has control down easily over the Kinect. You can get very precise with the WiiMote.
However, the Kinect is great for full motion sensing. Rather than being great at a few movements like the Wii, its good across a range of movements.

I have yet to see a way to be as precise as the WiiMote with something like a backspin in Tennis, however, I've yet to see a way to read my kicks without a WiiMote strapped to my Ankle.

I'm surprised. I have a 360 and Kinect doesn't really interest me.

I'm surprised. I have a 360 and Kinect doesn't really interest me.

This is true. I have both Kinect and the new console and I have yet to even play on either since purchase. Thinking of selling them both.

This is true. Plus the amount of Fan Boys comes into play as well.

I bought it because its a OMFGAWESOMESAUCE sensor array. The fact that it works on my Xbox is just gravy. Didnt buy because of MS's adverts, i bought it because i saw the potential this thing has. Its an amazing value at $150 for large swaths of technical hobbyists.

I bought it because its a OMFGAWESOMESAUCE sensor array. The fact that it works on my Xbox is just gravy. Didnt buy because of MS's adverts, i bought it because i saw the potential this thing has. Its an amazing value at $150 for large swaths of technical hobbyists.

I am not disagreeing with the fact that it is an awesome product and the potential it has. What I am saying is that people who <3 Microsoft and Xbox are guaranteed buyers. It also sold by the big marketing quote "Controller-less"

I bought it because it does have potential but I am not to pleased with it.

This is true. I have both Kinect and the new console and I have yet to even play on either since purchase. Thinking of selling them both.

I am not disagreeing with the fact that it is an awesome product and the potential it has. What I am saying is that people who <3 Microsoft and Xbox are guaranteed buyers. It also sold by the big marketing quote "Controller-less"

I bought it because it does have potential but I am not to pleased with it.

How can you be pleased with something you never tried?

How can you be pleased with something you never tried?

I am pleased with the fact that you are able to mod the Kinect and that I have done.

I have also seen family and friends use the Kinect. It just isn't appealing to me. I thought it would be but it isn't. My opinion is based and what I have seen that is it. I understand that before trashing a product you need to try it but I am not trashing the Kinect.

I am pleased with the fact that you are able to mod the Kinect and that I have done.

I have also seen family and friends use the Kinect. It just isn't appealing to me. I thought it would be but it isn't. My opinion is based and what I have seen that is it. I understand that before trashing a product you need to try it but I am not trashing the Kinect.
Fair enough.
I must admit most of the demos/commercials did not interest me either. I had the option to ditch the wii setup I had that was collecting dust. So for me I had nothing to loose since I already owned a Xbox 360 and didn't need to spend anything out of pocket.
For me it works out great for the family/friends, but unsure how motivated I would have been if I was still single for example.

I hope they sell even more, I love laughing at how dorky people look while playing Kinect games.

$500 million in advertising brainwashes a lot of people.
Indeed. The $671 million Apple spent on advertising last year is a clear example of that, I've never seen such sparkling clean minds! :D

I used my Xbox360 last night for the first time in two months to watch a Netflix movie... guess I am just not a console game player any more.

Microsoft is selling something that does nothing. Even worse than Apple this time around.

$56 worth of hardware being sold for $150. They've learned something from Apple, that's for sure.

Back