Microsoft silently reissues spying updates to Windows 7 & 8.1

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Here we go again...

http://windowsreport.com/windows-update-kb2952664-kb2976978/
http://news.softpedia.com/news/micr...emetry-updates-for-windows-7-8-1-512822.shtml
http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...s-snooping-patches-kb-2952664-kb-2976978.html
https://betanews.com/2017/02/10/microsoft-reissues-snooping-patches-for-windows-7-and-8-1/#comments

What’s important to know is that these updates are supposed to be shipped to users in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program and are listed as compatibility updates for keeping Windows up-to-date.

In the past, the two updates were linked with telemetry data collection in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, and they launched a Windows task identified as DoScheduledTelemetryRun.

As Woody Leonhard explained, there were cases in the past when these updates installed on computers that weren’t part of the Customer Experience Improvement Program collected data anyway, so without any information from Microsoft at this point, it’s hard to decrypt their purpose.

Last edited:
It's not surprising that Microsoft will just start masking the updates as something they're not, but I do find it rather reprehensible myself.

Hey, Microsoft, if you really want to know what's going on just ask 'cause I'll damned sure be willing to just tell you flat out: you're pissing me (and millions of other people) off with this bullshit so stop it. ;)

Don't worry folks! It's all part of the show!
part of the show.jpg

Get off of Windows. You have real alternatives now.

I moved everything to Linux Mint in October. Never thought this would happen.

If it wasn't for games, I would move to Linux.

Everyone's different, but I've reached the point that I have more good Linux native games than time to play. Everyone should at least give it a try if you haven't played with Linux in a while.

You can always consolidate down to a single Windows box/SSD and stream to the Linux machines as needed.

Of course the undesputable catch 22 is: The more people switch to Linux, the more games support will grow....

The problem with that train of thought is that a Catch-22 implies a negative outcome or situation, as in the most well known Catch-22 example: "I can't get <a particular job> because I don't have any experience, but how can I get the experience without getting <that particular job>..."

Obviously if more people use Linux that gives developers more reason to support it and create software applications/games/etc for the platform which you do realize would be a positive, right? ;)

I don't think Catch 22 necessarily implies a negative situation, it implies a situation where one is caught between a rock, and a hard place.

a dilemma or difficult circumstance from which there is no escape because of mutually conflicting or dependent conditions.

So again, a negative situation (that means the opposite of a positive one) especially in your example: if nobody chooses to switch to the Linux platform then obviously game support will not be necessary because developers won't have any reason to port code from the vastly more popular Windows platform. In such a situation it is a negative and absolutely nothing positive comes from it hence my point still standing tall.

And with that I'll take my leave of this thread before it becomes 20+ pages of bullshit like so many others. ;)

I see it as more of a conflict of needs. However, gaming under Linux will continue to grow and it's showing no signs of slowing any time soon - Things would simply grow faster the more people adopt the platform.

The second anyone tries to turn this into a Windows vs Linux thread I'm leaving.

you're pissing me (and millions of other people) off with this bullshit so stop it. ;)

I'm sure they know. I still think the vocally pissed off people are in the very small minority. They don't care.

I love Microsoft, and I love Windows. But, people do get pissed off with this forced "telemetry" stuff. It wouldn't be so bad if there was an "opt-out" button that shut it off completely.

Telemetry is fine. I see why they do it. Forced telemetry with no way out? Not cool.

I'm fine with it. A lot of other people aren't, though.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was an "opt-out" button that shut it off completely.

Telemetry is fine. I see why they do it. Forced telemetry with no way out? Not cool.

What's worse is that they pretend to let you opt out, and then opt you back in. Why would you trust any piece of software that kept doing that?

Who's responsible for the dbag direction of Microsoft? Isn't the head of Windows some guy from India? Never thought I would say it but, bring back Ballmer.

Microsoft is trying too hard to be like google, I hate google. Got any original ideas Microsoft?

Telemetry is not fine, if you have to be HIPAA and HITECH compliant. You add something that can get me fined, and my license to do business revoked? NOT FINE.

10 adoption stagnates: "put more telemetry on 7! We must find out what makes them tick!"

Back