Microsoft SideWinder X5 Mouse $25 @ Amazon (really an OEM SideWinder)

Saturn_V

2[H]4U
Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Gaming Mouse $25 @ Amazon.

Note the "Sold By" vendor is SuperDeal, but it's fulfilled by Amazon. (and qualifies for Prime)

Imagine my utter surprise when I open the package and discover instead of an X5, they sent an OEM SideWinder (with the metal scroll wheel, weights and extra feet)
X5not.jpg

The Sidewinder's a higher grade mouse that lists for $80. The regular X5 lists for $60.00.

It's a possible crap shoot based on which vendor actually ships the mouse. It's a warm deal if they send you an X5; but it's a hot one if they send an OEM SideWinder.

It may even be cold if you hate MS mice. They are an acquired taste, but this is my second Sidewinder, they're as good as Logitech MX518s/G5s IMO, even with the Dark Lord of the Sith styling.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
quite a gamble, but i need another mouse anyhow. i'd rather get this than a $10 optical

intelli 1.1 w/ usbmrs @ 1000hz = untstoppable :D

Nonetheless, this seems to be a pretty hot deal. I think it's a steal at that price, but does it come with its own software? Thanks OP.

EDIT: Not a lot of people take this into account, but the best of gamers KNOW that the design of the base is probably one of the most important parts of a mouse when gaming, especially competitively. The bigger/wider the base, the more stable the mouse and the less chance of error when aiming at a target. This is because when you are using your reflexes to aim at a target, the mouse movement can vary at the angle of the base which you've made to drag the mouse. This mouse seems to have a clean design of a big wide base, so that problem shouldn't exist. BTW, if you want to test your mouse for this, simply hold your mouse firmly down on the mouse pad while attempting to slightly jiggle it from side to side. If it moves, your cursor should move and that's a no-no. Even the G5 and G7 exhibit this problem :(

Last edited:
That is a good step up for gamers. I also find that the Microsoft Bluetooth Laptop Mouse 5000 is only $19 now. That is a good price and a good mouse for laptop.

Last edited:
I have a Sidewinder X5 at work, and it's a good mouse but not great.

I use a Sidewinder, and the weights and higher quality buttons make it a great gaming mouse.

intelli 1.1 w/ usbmrs @ 1000hz = untstoppable :D

Nonetheless, this seems to be a pretty hot deal. I think it's a steal at that price, but does it come with its own software?

An Intellipoint CD is included, but I just downloaded the latest version from MSFTs site instead.

I believe the Sidewinder X5 is much better than the original Sidewinder due to the rubber scroll wheel. The metal scroll wheel on the original Sidewinder is pretty slick and loose. It's quite easy to not scroll properly with it. So I got rid of the original and picked up an X5 recently. I find the rubber scroll wheel much more accurate and reliable to operate. If I ordered an X5 and got an original, I wouldn't be too happy about it.

I have the original sidewinder and I really want to love it but when it comes down to it, it just doesn't have enough buttons for me due to Microsoft really limiting which buttons you can modify. The thing that drew it to me at first was that it seemed like the shape could be used with differnt mousing styles effectively but then I found out that the the left mouse button doesn't always respond when clicked from certain angles. The cord holder is darn near worth 25 dollars, nothing works better for the the job then that little thing.

I believe the Sidewinder X5 is much better than the original Sidewinder due to the rubber scroll wheel. The metal scroll wheel on the original Sidewinder is pretty slick and loose. It's quite easy to not scroll properly with it. So I got rid of the original and picked up an X5 recently. I find the rubber scroll wheel much more accurate and reliable to operate. If I ordered an X5 and got an original, I wouldn't be too happy about it.

Actually, I've had both mice for about a year now, and the X5's rubber scroller is going out (which is why I keep it at work) and missing scrolls.

The Sidewinder's metal scroll is fine so far.

I love the original Sidewinder, good mouse and the metal buttons really don't bug me at all (the have textures for grip). I did however spot the x5 at my local Fry's for $14 bucks, so I don't know if you can call this deal hot.

I have the original also.. it's fairly big but feels great in the hand to me.. I like the placement of the side buttons but the wheel was hard to use for everyday mousing.. I felt I had to reach for it.. I think for someone with larger hands it might be easier to use for everyday stuff.

Maybe I shouldn't give away the secret to fixing their product to microsoft but when I was playing through Bioshock I took a little plastic foot that fell off of something and stuck it to the left mouse button. It sounds kind of wierd but it makes the mouse really comfortable to use.

I think the metal wheel is one of the coolest things in the world. It doesn't feel super nice, then again I love taped metal, knurled metal, etc maybe a little too much.

Ordered last night around 9pm. Showed up today at 2:30pm.

I got the X5 as listed, but instead of 2 day prime they sent it next day.

it was fully packaged not OEM.

I'd send it back. I've seen the X5 sell for as low as $20. I guess my OEM Sidewinder was a lucky fluke or an inattentive shipper.

I was thinking of ordering this. It's $7 cheaper than Newegg (CA charges tax).

I might have to snag one, my death adder is a pile of shit

I'd send it back. I've seen the X5 sell for as low as $20.
I disagree. I'd go ahead and keep the X5. I think $25 is about as cheap as it gets. Besides, why waste the time to send it back just for five bucks? Besides, its retail not OEM, so that's another plus. I think I'm going to order that X5 today. It'd be cool if I got a Sidewinder, but I'll be happy with the X5.

I ordered sometime last week and just got a SideWinder X5 in the mail today :( It's actually a decent mouse though. A lot more comfortable than it looks in the picture

Back