Microsoft Scores Big: Three Year Contract with DoD

With the start menu removed, at least that's one less security policy to configure.

rIJ50.jpg

So the military is going to rush in and invest in an OS and office suite that could be a vulnerability ridden peace of crap and at least buggy. Brilliant.

Forcing the DoD to Win8 will force all their contractors to Win8. I would say this is campaign payback.

Not just functional requirements. There are also non-functional requirements which are just as important. There are design and implementation requirements as well.

[RIP]Zeus;1039488036 said:
I guess no know believes you when you say that you helped with deployment of win7 in the AF.

We had vista on these machines back in 07 then moved to win7 as quickly as we could.

Either way, this is nothing new for DoD.

As for the servers, I can not deny nor confirm we run Windows or Linux :D.

Maybe where you worked that happened, but it didn't happen that way everywhere. We didn't get Win7 on any computer in my shop until early last year.

Part of that may have been some incompatibilities between Vista/Win 7 and some of our software, because we went from XP to 7 (new machines instead of re -images).

It creates a mechanism of centralized biography of people. That’s the intent of this, not payback to ms for the anti trust law fiasco. Think your records are private? Have you needed a police officer lately? Try and make a nice gesture and ask how things are lately. What do you think they wonder when you ask? Ask any questions and your information is shared with another agency, and ultimately, your record will be matched with other agencies. The whole objective is to bring in outside tragedies to put up a wall between you and them. It is the way for them to put you in the cluster with the civil unrest that will happen in America. During all of this, and you’ve got to remember that any future domestic/lone wolf/mentally ill/badely parented man child will be a big part of this. Our country is going be color keyed to this. I’ve seen a map of North America without borders. Along with this map was another map showing the United States cut up into pie slices. You will be in a zone and it will match up with your biography for your entering and leaving.

Having government use proprietary software is an assault on freedom. The people must be able to know the code that is running on the systems that they are paying for; anything less is an affront to transparency. One would think that the experience with the voting machines would have demonstrated the need for this.

The DoD, with its trillions of dollars, could, after all, afford to write its own operating system and office suite (or at least make a GNU/Linux distribution).

Obscurity!=Security.

Sweet.

I hope to see some contracts coming out for the install / upgrade soon.

Might want to reread this thread because I was never in the AF and have never claimed to be.

I was referring to me, sorry for the poor quote.

Being sick doesn't help with proper grammar either :D.

Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe where you worked that happened, but it didn't happen that way everywhere. We didn't get Win7 on any computer in my shop until early last year.

Part of that may have been some incompatibilities between Vista/Win 7 and some of our software, because we went from XP to 7 (new machines instead of re -images).

While true, I'm surprised comm didn't have exclusion for the software that required xp or vista.

Then again, it's comm with AF NOSC hovering over. :eek:

[RIP]Zeus;1039489018 said:
I was referring to me, sorry for the poor quote.

Being sick doesn't help with proper grammar either :D.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the clarification. ;)

I just had to have my pc re-imaged and still couldn't get upgraded to Win 7. We should get it rolled out in the next 6-9 months I hope.

Back