Microsoft Says Edge Beats All Browsers In Battery Life

Microsoft has failed to establish equality between the 4 laptops involved the test.
Were the hard drives exact image copies of each other? It doesn't say.
Where is the control experiment with the exact same laptops executing a battery life tester application or all running the same web browser to establish a baseline difference between the laptops before starting this smoke and mirrors showpiece?
For all I know, the batteries inside each laptop aren't exactly the same quality/capacity. Or maybe MS Defender decided to run a scan in the background on one of them. Or Windows Update decided to run in the background on one or two of them. Or Candy Crush Saga decided to update itself in the background on one of them. Or....
Hell, a better test would have been to use the same laptop for each test. At least the hardware would be the same and the battery capacity/life wouldn't change that much over 4 charge/discharge cycles to affect the test beyond a couple of seconds.
Also, is this test result true for all laptops/battery powered devices, or just this one laptop with certain hardware? Again, it doesn't say.
Useless marketing drivel.

Pretty much the same with all the browsers testing methodology. Right now, the only issue I am having with Edge is, for some reason, video playback is causing some problems with hanging the browser or other such stuff. Otherwise, the thing is stupid fast a fluid. (Could be the browser itself or it could be the NVidia drivers having issues.)

For all I know, the batteries inside each laptop aren't exactly the same quality/capacity. Or maybe MS Defender decided to run a scan in the background on one of them. Or Windows Update decided to run in the background on one or two of them. Or Candy Crush Saga decided to update itself in the background on one of them. Or....

Or Chrome defaults to VP9 when available and hardware decoding for VP9 is either nonexistent or sucks compared to H265/264 causing CPU usage(and thus power usage) to go way up(happens on my Cherry Trail system, for example) leading to a massively reduced battery life?

Nah, it couldn't be something legitimate. Edge MUST be the worst, right?

The Windows Runtime version of Internet Explorer in 8 had better battery life than the browsers of the time too. Probably for similar reasons Safari has better battery life on Macs, there's benefits to using native code than being a third party.

Now that it supports plugins (anniversary update) I'm starting to like it.

why do they (Microsoft and rich people) keep on taking about edge as if it was a great thing? it keeps on crashing and it is not fully "ready" and has missing features that ie had.... are these people crazy?

The key question that comes to my mind is: How do you uninstall Edge?
Of course it's more efficient to have only Edge running, than to use another browser with Edge processes (as used by Windows10) running in the background...

No, he does not have any mobile PC equipment, that is probably right. Now, if you are claiming my Surface Pro 3 is not a PC, you are full of it. Lets see: Could hook up multiple monitors, keyboard, mouse, printer, connect to a domain, or any other USB device. Heck, I could probably play Minecraft on it if I wanted to but I do not.

Oh well, guess maybe you simply misundersto.... no, you did not misunderstand and where just trying to start an argument. :eek::rolleyes:

No I didn't misunderstand, nor trying to start a beef. Hooking up all of that to a Surface is wonderful if that is what you're into. That's a lot of 'could but don't' though.

No I didn't misunderstand, nor trying to start a beef. Hooking up all of that to a Surface is wonderful if that is what you're into. That's a lot of 'could but don't' though.

Which does not matter because, the proof of burden is on you to prove the that Surface Pro 3 is not a PC.

Back