Microsoft’s Next App Will Let You Track Your Friends

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to Microsoft Place, a Spanish site, Microsoft is giving users yet another opportunity to give up even more personal information with its yet-to-be-released friend tracking App called People Sense. The App for Windows 10 on Smartphones will work along with Bing mapping to provide am exact locator of your connected friends.

Sounds like the equivalent of 'Find my Friends' on iOS. It actually comes in handy at times particularly with family.

I think MS might finally be on to something with Win10 and its cross platform apps. Because they own such a large share of the desktop OS market, they are in a unique position to do this. WinPhone might become a major player after all.

I'm confused as to how the hell anyone would be ok with this...I would absolutely NOT be ok with anyone with my number being able to track where I'm at.

Jeez, why the mock outrage now? People have been able to do this since 2011. And for the obviously uneducated, the feature is opt-in, and requires the users permission before you are able to track anyone. You can also pause or revoke access at any time.

I'm confused as to how the hell anyone would be ok with this...I would absolutely NOT be ok with anyone with my number being able to track where I'm at.

I assume you'd have to sign up for the service and/or join a tracking group.

Wanting to know where your friends are at all times is the kind of high school social mentality that Social Media and other thing enabled by the internet/smartphones allow for people to never outgrow. Fucking insane.

In other news, militias and terrorists no longer need to own Apple products or satellites to coordinate maneuvers.

In other, other news, the CIA can now track militia and terrorist maneuvers with pinpoint accuracy without using satellites or Apple products.

As long as this is opt in, it really isn't a problem.

I certainly would never use anything like this myself, but I see it as a good way for parents to monitor their kids.

Unfortunately, young ignorant children probably just mass add all their friends to a service like this, and it will become a problem.

Nah, I can't go out. I have to study for a test.

BS, mate. You're already at the pub.

Fuckin' Microsoft tracking BS.

I'd always have it off, personally.

wow.. the paranoia is strong here yet again. I guess I just don't see the issue. My iphone (company bought) has Airwatch installed so that it can be located if lost. Meh... doesn't bother me. If that means some NSA goof can tell that I'm sitting at Chipotle for lunch... so what?

In fact, I installed and signed my wife's iPhone up on Find Friends. We regularly meet for lunch or one of us is running late for dinner.. so we avoid the whole calling/texting of things like "When are you going to be home?" or "How far from Chipotle are you so I can order ahead?". Just open the app and oh.. she is 3 blocks away, guess I can go in and order now.

Now, maybe if one of us was worried about the other cheating and why they are spending a couple hours at some strange residential address I could see the paranoia... but since that isn't the case I don't see what why everyone is concerned that some guy sitting at a desk is tracking your every movement (or lack thereof for the tin-foil hat basement dwellers :p ).

wow.. the paranoia is strong here yet again. I guess I just don't see the issue. My iphone (company bought) has Airwatch installed so that it can be located if lost. Meh... doesn't bother me. If that means some NSA goof can tell that I'm sitting at Chipotle for lunch... so what?

The NSA can track you anyway.... No need for the app.

I just like my privacy. If I decide to stop by and have a beer at the bar, everyone I know shouldn't be able to see I'm there. Or, if I'm at work and not at home. Or whatever.

Some people share everything on Facebook anyway. So, you always know where they are. If I want my friends to know where I'm at, I'll tell them.

I guess it comes down to how private you want to be. Some are very open to where people know where they are at. Others (like me) like to be more private. Doesn't make one paranoid, just more private of a person. Call or text if you want to meet up or want to know where I am. I'll probably tell you. Right now I'm at work. (45.958638, -119.607557), I'll be here until 4:30pm.

You guys missed the real rub. No one anywhere actually has enough friends who also have Windows Phones to make use of this app. In order for something like this to work you need a dominant market position they just don't have. Plus it's pretty damn creepy. There are maybe 3 people on earth I trust enough to share my current GPS position with all the time.

I used to use a Windows Phone, HTC HD7, until it was totally abandoned by Microsoft and HTC about a year and a half after it came out and never received any more updates. It was fairly good, but the lack of updates really left me quite annoyed.

Microsoft's utter contempt for their customers makes me want to stay far away from their phone platform for the foreseeable future.

You guys missed the real rub. No one anywhere actually has enough friends who also have Windows Phones to make use of this app. In order for something like this to work you need a dominant market position they just don't have. Plus it's pretty damn creepy. There are maybe 3 people on earth I trust enough to share my current GPS position with all the time.

I used to use a Windows Phone, HTC HD7, until it was totally abandoned by Microsoft and HTC about a year and a half after it came out and never received any more updates. It was fairly good, but the lack of updates really left me quite annoyed.

Microsoft's utter contempt for their customers makes me want to stay far away from their phone platform for the foreseeable future.

Reminds me of the Kin. What a disaster that phone was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Kin

If it is opt in then sure it isn't a problem. However my original sentiment of who the hell doesn't have a problem with this stands. Oh people that think understanding crime statistics is paranoia apparently.

In fact, I installed and signed my wife's iPhone up on Find Friends. We regularly meet for lunch or one of us is running late for dinner.. so we avoid the whole calling/texting of things like "When are you going to be home?" or "How far from Chipotle are you so I can order ahead?". Just open the app and oh.. she is 3 blocks away, guess I can go in and order now.

Now, maybe if one of us was worried about the other cheating and why they are spending a couple hours at some strange residential address I could see the paranoia... but since that isn't the case I don't see what why everyone is concerned that some guy sitting at a desk is tracking your every movement (or lack thereof for the tin-foil hat basement dwellers :p ).

Nothing tin foil hat about straight statistics. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with how many people get robbed by people they know because they share to damn much of their personal lives. Most of the time respecting privacy is prudent not paranoid.

Back