Microsoft "revealing" Windows 9 next week

Ah well, PR slip ups happen, and it's not as if MS has a reputation for a PR juggernaut.

I'm more interested to see what details about 9 will be released.

So a high level Microsoft exec in France who probably has little direct involvement with Windows development simply confirms what's been out there for weeks now, calls is Windows 9 because it's either that or Threshold, and this is supposed to mean a whole lot? Microsoft at this point doesn't generally reveal the version name, it could be 9 or something else but 9 seems to be sticking at this point so who knows.

First it was hyped up, then hyped down, so this is to get it hyped up again?

I don't think I will be upgrading from Windows 7 for a long time.

Unless there is some major new hardware coming out that only a new OS version can support properly (like SSDs and Windows 7 (trim support)) I don't see any reason to upgrade to a new os just because of slight design changes to the gui that may or may not be any better or even as good.

At least for PC use.

I don't see what the big deal is. This event has been planned for weeks now, and it was unofficially the reveal for Windows 9. Still, a slip up from a Microsoft guy in France isn't an "official" announcement, either (although we all know that it will be revealed).

I don't think I will be upgrading from Windows 7 for a long time.

You don't have to upgrade. I think a lot of people don't realize that. There is no reason to upgrade to the newest OS if you don't want/have to. If it has features you want, then go for it. If you want to upgrade just to upgrade or learn it, go for it. But, you don't HAVE to upgrade. You're on a supported OS with updates from Microsoft, good AV, etc., you're fine. IF you have nothing to gain, don't upgrade. :D

Me? I'm upgrading day one, as usual (or earlier via MSDN). Always have, always will. Going to run the beta for a while (going to write a book on it for consumer power users that I want done by the RTM).

Back