Microsoft retiring the TechNet Subscription Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
If you like Microsoft's Technet, you got one more year to enjoy ...

As IT trends and business dynamics have evolved, so has Microsoft’s set of offerings for IT professionals who are looking to learn, evaluate and deploy Microsoft technologies and services. In recent years, we have seen a usage shift from paid to free evaluation experiences and resources. As a result, Microsoft has decided to retire the TechNet Subscriptions service and will discontinue sales on August 31, 2013.

More information can be found here....

Getting senile, but IIRC, I was paying about $700 a year back when all this started. First year was brutal though, I had to get my Microsoft Certified Professional testing out the way. Mine is hand signed by Billy. Suffer bitches.:D

One thing you need to understand, is when Chicago came out (Win NT), they sent me 200lbs of books in 4 boxes. Those around will understand what I'm talking about.

Got that email today, as well. My subscription ends in August, good thing I didn't preemptively renew like they have been bugging me to for months now...

Got that email today, as well. My subscription ends in August, good thing I didn't preemptively renew like they have been bugging me to for months now...

You can still buy TechNet until August 31 and the subscription will be valid until it expires.

As a reminder, Windows is now a children's operating system (Really, it always has been but now more so than ever with Windows 8 Bob). The elimination of programs for IT professionals is an example of this trend of "consumerification" at the expense of people who use their computers for serious things.

As a reminder, Windows is now a children's operating system (Really, it always has been but now more so than ever with Windows 8 Bob). The elimination of programs for IT professionals is an example of this trend of "consumerification" at the expense of people who use their computers for serious things.

Proof? :rolleyes:

Perhaps they are also killing it because of the people who abused it over the years?

BSoD_in_Windows_8.png

On the plus side, this will cause more IT professionals to switch over to the Linux/UNIX side where it does not cost a fortune to keep up with the latest technology or to run a test lab.

Truth.
Microsoft is going the way of Apple, only without the quality or control.

I doubt they will remain in enterprise much longer at this rate.
Money talks.

Ah yes, the usual suspects are here. Funny thing is they would bash Heatless when in reality they're the ones who just can't keep away from MS and Windows threads. Sad really.

Ah yes, the usual suspects are here. Funny thing is they would bash Heatless when in reality they're the ones who just can't keep away from MS and Windows threads. Sad really.

It's not sad, it's totally entertaining.
Wait, who are you again?

Oh that's right, Microsoft fanboi #67345901.
Nice to meet you. ;)

It's not sad, it's totally entertaining.
Wait, who are you again?

Oh that's right, Microsoft fanboi #67345901.
Nice to meet you. ;)

Oh, did I name you? That's right, I didn't. Truth hurts doesn't it. Pathetic, can't make a decent argument you resort to name calling.

Right, but who popped in first?

Favoritism and reverse favoritism are really just two sides to the same coin.

Right, but who popped in first?

Favoritism and reverse favoritism are really just two sides to the same coin.

It makes sense for Heatless to be here, he's an avowed MS fan, and he actually uses their products.

And posting a BSoD proves... what, exactly? It still says the primary cause for the crash and it generates a crashdump that you can dig through for detailed information.

compare to this

rssFu7i.jpg

id rather it give me some useful data so i can figure out what crashed

8 does not tell you the diver file name or the address of the fault

compare to this

id rather it give me some useful data so i can figure out what crashed

If you bothered to set the OS to not automatically reboot on BSOD, yeah that's handy. Or you could just look at the event logs or dump files.

If you bothered to set the OS to not automatically reboot on BSOD, yeah that's handy. Or you could just look at the event logs or dump files.

if you can even get the box the boot that far...

and if the issue related to the drive controller or main board it may not even be able to write the log or dump file

or trouble shooting over the phone
there are times when you may not be able to get at the dump file and logs

or trouble shooting over the phone
there are times when you may not be able to get at the dump file and logs

Like if your computer catches on fire or is abducted by terrorists. Yeah, I'm with you.

Oh, did I name you? That's right, I didn't. Truth hurts doesn't it. Pathetic, can't make a decent argument you resort to name calling.

Argument of what?
Of how big a mindless Microsoft drone you are?

Yeah, no argument there.

Best to leave it alone.;)
I would have buuuut...

It makes sense for Heatless to be here, he's an avowed MS fan, and he actually uses their products.
So if one is not an "avowed MS fan", they aren't allowed to post?
Dude, you can stick it where the sun don't shine. :p

Like if your computer catches on fire or is abducted by terrorists. Yeah, I'm with you.

No, Elios made a reasonable argument.
You're avoiding the legitimate answers given and are simply trolling at this point.

Argument of what?
Of how big a mindless Microsoft drone you are?

Yeah, no argument there.

I would have buuuut...

So if one is not an "avowed MS fan", they aren't allowed to post?
Dude, you can stick it where the sun don't shine. :p

Still resorting to name calling, and now just getting personal. That the best you can do? You must live a very sad life. Pity.

8 does not tell you the diver file name or the address of the fault

Sure it does, for anyone who is technical enough to know what such information means and how to look at it. The whole point of modifying the bugcheck screen is that most people don't know and don't care. Consider the Mac OSX crash screen, it's similarly "user friendly" (as user friendly as a "shit's fucked up" screen can be), but the dump and details are available for analysis by anyone with the inclination and skill to look.

For those who are arguing about the direction Microsoft has taken in regards to their software (Windows 8 error screens being childish - or not) perhaps you should focus back on topic a bit?

Whether you feel that the direction Microsoft is taking with Windows 8 and Server 2012 is bad or not, everyone should consider the negative impacts this will have on IT professionals all over.

I personally think this is terrible news. I'm an entry level IT professional with little hard experience (and since I'm entry level, I don't have a large income), thus I can't afford to spend money to buy lots of MS products for testing and learning. I rely on TechNet to play around with the various software, and have the ISO's available for download in a Technical Support role (Perfectly legal to use a TechNet ISO with a customer provided Product Key for an OEM laptop for example).

The next closest "alternative" by Microsoft is the MSDN subscription. The basic package (Microsoft OS's) for which is $699 a YEAR! That's 3.5 times as expensive as TechNet Standard, AND includes far less programs. To get Microsoft Office programs included in MSDN, you need to get one of the packages that is like $6,000 a year. This info came directly from the MSDN subscription FAQ page.

After my subscription expires next June, I don't know what I'm going to do. Learning more Linux based OS's will certainly be part of it, but whether you like Microsoft or not, they are still HUGE in the Enterprise sector. Learning their programs will become much harder, as often the "Free Evaluation" (30 to 180 days depending on the software) isn't always enough time to test and learn a new OS or program.

I'm not sure how a technet thread suddenly became a windows 8 bashing thread, but I agree, dalekphalm, it's a bummer to lose TechNet. My workplace has MSDN but it'll still hurt to not have TechNet for testing at home :(

I'm not sure how a technet thread suddenly became a windows 8 bashing thread, but I agree, dalekphalm, it's a bummer to lose TechNet. My workplace has MSDN but it'll still hurt to not have TechNet for testing at home :(

I don't think we've seen the last on this. Microsoft has a habit of doing very unpopular things like this and then amazingly having a change of heart after the flood of negativity. Not always but often, like last year when they reversed course on not offering VS 2012 Express for Desktop.

Still resorting to name calling, and now just getting personal. That the best you can do? You must live a very sad life. Pity.

Compared to what you've been saying (which has amounted to absolutely nothing, btw), I'd say at least my post have been entertaining for others at least.

What the fuck are the mods doing this sideshow had gone on way too long and ruined enough threads. Every single thread related to Microsoft or Windows turns into the same shit. It's the same people over and over again...

The windows 8 bash crew needs to be leashed already. It's pathetic, ruins topics, kills any possible discussion and is just plain disruptive. Not every damn thread with the word Microsoft in it is a place for you disgruntled fucks to show up and make sure nobody forgot your opinion.

It seems to me that Microsoft is cutting it's own throat by eliminating the Technet subscription service. Where are IT professionals going to get the software they need (at a low price) to train themselves, and deploy their services to the industry who uses Microsoft products? It seems like they are making it difficult and more expensive for IT professionals to support their customer base.

I used my technet to run a small home lab, to test problems without without needing to work on live customer networks, and to stay up-to-date on MS platforms.

I know that the "new" technet will be free time limited downloads (60-180 days) and will suffice for the short term testing and evaluations, but I prefer testing (esp. in my home lab) for quite a wile, really running a product long term gives you the real sense of the ebb and flow of software.

Edit: FYI, I am predominantly a Linux/VMware admin, I know the MS platform is here to stay, which is why I got a technet sub.

Compared to what you've been saying (which has amounted to absolutely nothing, btw), I'd say at least my post have been entertaining for others at least.
Entertaining? Maybe to your group of circle jerks. Trolling, threadcrapping, and derailing threads is annoying and childish. And that's all you and your buddies do, it's like you have an alert for the words Microsoft and Windows so you can threadcrap within the first ten post.

Please use the "Report Post" feature to let mods know when a thread is derailed or there is abuse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back