Microsoft Retiring Lync in Favor of Skype for Business

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Calm down, it's more a brand switch than an actual technology change. However, knowing the track record of this kind of thing for MSFT, maybe you should be a bit more worried. Sysadmins for your Lync infrastrucutre better start reading up on the requirements since the launch will take place 1H 2015.

Here they are showing that they will listen to and learn from the market. Skype for Business will incorporate Skype’s smart design, like keeping an active call visible in a small window when the user uses a different app at the same time. More importantly, video calling will be rolled out, which Lync lacked.

Eh.. Lync has had video conferencing for ever.. not sure what the article is talking about there.

We use Lync 2013 for EVERYTHING at our business, so kind of worried here even if it is touted as a branding exercise. Not sure what they mean by video calling, as I use that all the time on Lync.

Lync needs some bug fixing. The mobile apps are unreliable at best. Not sure if it's our environment. Maybe they'll polish it more now?

Not worried, we're still using Communicator and virtual computers running Server 2003. And this is a multi-billion dollar fortune 500 company...

It's too bad the Skype UI is awful for messaging. Maybe this means they'll actually fix that problem?

we use Lync at my job and adopted it when it first came out.. I work for Level3 communications and I actually like Lync.. Love the fact I can use my Lync phone even when I'm not in the office.
The name change sounds less professional.. that's my only argument I am sure we will use the next installment.

Does that mean they will add calling landline functionality to lync? That is the only thing missing for them to be huge in the enterprise.

It looks more like a name change, lync Fucking rocks. I like being able to log conversations to my email so I back up my conversations super easy.

Does that mean they will add calling landline functionality to lync? That is the only thing missing for them to be huge in the enterprise.

I'm hoping this means the new version of Lync Online Plan 2 will include land line calling instead of having to go with "3rd Party Audio Conferencing Providers"

I'm hoping this means the new version of Lync Online Plan 2 will include land line calling instead of having to go with "3rd Party Audio Conferencing Providers"

I thought they removed the option to even use 3rd parties for external calling. Seriously, that is the only thing missing for the complete communications package. It's not like they don't already have the equipment/functionality. We use lync for everything, but still have to have external voip lines/software for external calling. Microsoft, just combine lync and Skype and take our money already....

Hopefully just a name change since Skye has no GPO support worth a shit currently in windows and frankly i do not want all our work conversations going through MS network.. why people host in house solutions

Lync needs some bug fixing. The mobile apps are unreliable at best. Not sure if it's our environment. Maybe they'll polish it more now?

Not just your environment. Even here at Microsoft, Lync on mobile is harrowing. Between messages that show up but don't get delivered and its utter inability to cooperate with the various computers I'm logged into it (messages being misrouted, "no response from server" errors, etc), it's an experience that is frustrating at best.

Beyond that, the client is just plain buggy. Text has hidden formatting where there are various times the formatting is applied to a message after it's sent. Pretty sure this was finally fixed (or at least requires more steps to repro), but it used to be that you could press ctrl+i/b, backspace once, type your message, and press enter, and it would send as italics/bold, despite not appearing that way in your client. As would every following message. My guess is that the client was using a start/end tag system, and it inadvertently allowed you to delete the end tag, thus rendering the rest of your text wonky.

You can do that with the full version of Lync (on premise) but it adds 4-5 more servers to what Lync already requires. You can't with the cloud based version.

Back