Microsoft Responds To NY Times Op-Ed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Former Microsoft employee Dick Brass (apparently with balls to match) tore into Microsoft in an op-ed piece in the NY Times. Obviously the gang at Microsoft do not agree with Mr. Brass and have posted a reply on the company’s official blog.

At the highest level, we think about innovation in relation to its ability to have a positive impact in the world. For Microsoft, it is not sufficient to simply have a good idea, or a great idea, or even a cool idea. We measure our work by its broad impact.

To this day, you still can’t use Office directly on a Tablet PC. And despite the certainty that an Apple tablet was coming this year, the tablet group at Microsoft was eliminated.

WTF? How the hell how I have been using it then for the LAST SEVEN YEARS?

Okay, I need to calm down, Mr. Brass makes some decent points but there's a lot of FUD in this piece. YOU CAN'T EVEN WRITE ON AN IPAD!!!

Okay, I need to calm down, Mr. Brass makes some decent points but there's a lot of FUD in this piece. YOU CAN'T EVEN WRITE ON AN IPAD!!!

Have to agree. Some misinformation and poor assumptions. I personally hate ClearType so if he's the one who came up with it I'm glad they hassled him over it. And yeah, iPad is innovative if we ignore the large number of tablet slates that have been around for years now. Way to go Dick.

Wow talk about predictably stereotypical. I read the Microsoft response before I read the op-ed and as I was reading I somehow knew this whole thing would have something to do with Apple and the iPad. So I read the op-ed - and what do I see? The words Apple and iPad placed firmly in the very first sentence of the article. Obviously an Apple fan trying to take a cheap shot, hopefully not paid off by Apple to do it. Maybe he was hoping Apple would give him free hardware?

Apple wants to be as powerful as every PC OEM plus Microsoft all combined into one super megalithic corporation that owns everything. A disturbing business model.

I want to thank you Steve from bringing this to our attention. I need to find out about more about Mr. Brass. He left Microsoft in 2004, THREE YEARS before the iPhone. How the hell was it certain to him at the time when he was at Microsoft that SIX YEARS AFTER HE LEFT that Apple was going to make the iPad?

This will NOT stand with me until I know what's going on because this guy is clearly lying.

Well i would say that Microsoft didn't Innovate exchange 2010 std. Considering they took out half the features exchange 2007 std had in it.

As an Australian am I wrong to assume that New Yorkers are mostly stuck up assholes ,or is it just a select few ?

ps :we have plenty of our own ...

I read the op-ed, money quote:

What happened? Unlike other companies, Microsoft never developed a true system for innovation. Some of my former colleagues argue that it actually developed a system to thwart innovation. Despite having one of the largest and best corporate laboratories in the world, and the luxury of not one but three chief technology officers, the company routinely manages to frustrate the efforts of its visionary thinkers.

The company is too big, too balkanized, too unfocused. Reading stories on Windows development and the internecine fighting that would take place between departments that should have been working together towards a common goal made my head hurt. They're like the IBM that they overtook in the 80s and 90s, too big and too slow a boat to steer. It amazes me that they can spend over 5 billion a year and the best they can do, outside of enterprise, is to play catch up with and iterate on the work of Google and Apple. Again, weird, but its a good thing that it can be subsidized by incredibly profitable software.

I still believe that Microsoft needs to get into the hardware game if they really want to compete with consumers and some professionals, especially products like handsets and tablets. Their best products are top-to-bottom solutions designed internally, the 360, the ZuneHD, etc. The entertainment division did an amazing job with the XBox 360. It may not be wildly profitable yet but it is their first real integrated top-to-bottom product that works really well and people like. Software, hardware, it all works as a single holistic product. The ZuneHD, despite the serious lack of software, is a nice device by itself.

If Windows 7 mobile ends up being a good mobile OS it can still be hamstrung by the same thing that hurt other versions of Windows Mobile, which is that it gets attached to substandard hardware. Nobody should have to think about whether one phone is better to run WinMo than the other, it should just run well. Microsoft makes very good products but crap hardware makes them look worse than anything that they inflict upon themselves, from Windows on down. I dunno, I don't think that them taking more charge over their own destiny can hurt their image, although it would certainly hurt their ridiculous profit margins from selling mostly software licenses.

BTW, very fascinating article on Mr Brass from 2000, here he talks about his vision for tablets. He was years ahead of the curve: http://www.seattlepi.com/business/bras11.shtml

I want to thank you Steve from bringing this to our attention. I need to find out about more about Mr. Brass. He left Microsoft in 2004, THREE YEARS before the iPhone. How the hell was it certain to him at the time when he was at Microsoft that SIX YEARS AFTER HE LEFT that Apple was going to make the iPad?

This will NOT stand with me until I know what's going on because this guy is clearly lying.

It would be funny if true, but I doubt it. Apple has had tablets in development since the mid-80s. They had a G4 based tablet in development that they canned in the late-90s because it would have been way too expensive to produce, too heavy, and with no battery life. Pointless, why not get a notebook instead? Instead they released the iPod. Years later, a tablet is still too expensive given the available technology. Instead they take that R&D and apply it towards the iPhone. All of their tablet R&D and multitouch acquisitions clearly trickled down to other mobile products, but the arrival of fast ARM processors and the groundwork laid by the iPhone and app store finally made a large screen tablet a viable product from a cost, ergonomic, performance, and software standpoint.

Again, a conspiracy type thing would be hilarious, but I doubt it, especially since he's putting his nuts out there so publically. First, if he was working with Apple then he just would have joined as an employee. Loads of people from Microsoft and other companies have ended up there, and vice-versa. Second, if he had secretly collaborated with Apple on a tablet and iPhone, shouldn't he just have kept his mouth shut instead of writing a controversial article in the frigging New York Times? That's painting a pretty big target on your back, especially if industrial espionage is a possibility. :)

Nah, I think he's just venting frustrations at a company where he was a small fry. People do it all the time.

I don't have a problem with people who are willing to be honest saying that Microsoft isn't particularity innovative. I disagree, but consider the following:

1: He's been gone for six years. 6 years in IT is an eternity. His insider information is useless so why now do an op ed piece about this now?

2: He just so happened to have worked on Tablet PCs. Hmmm.

3: The iPad was announced last week. Hmmm.

4: He ridicules Microsoft for not putting OneNote style ink throughout the Office Suite, a feature that you and I both know isn't something that most people care a whole lot about. Remember that iPad thread where all you Apple people were saying that you didn't care about digital ink. And if he REALLY worked on the Tablet PC he knows that too.

5: He failed to mention OneNote. Seven years after its introduction there's STILL nothing else like it when it comes to digital ink. Nothing even close.

6: Where is digital ink on the iPad?

7: How widely criticized has Apple been by more than a few people saying that the iPad is nothing more a giant iPhone? The iPad ain't exactly taking the world's breath away like the iPhone. There's no denying that. Just look at the buzz on the net. Not all that excited or complimentary.

8: So Apple took the iPhone, one of the coolest and most successful products ever and made it bigger. Sounds like playing it safe to me. And here's something that's been going around, the iPad backup plan: http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17518/1/

Far too much hypocrisy in what this guy is saying.

Yeah, I know what Microsoft means by a Borad Impact.

Translation, lets build our tool messed up so we can get in our customer's way and thus a third market appears to come up of a solution. We help the economy and everybody is happy. Except for the customer of course.

Example, Have you ever seen anything more annoying than the Tabs from Visual 2005 onward, they're not only reversed but they also aren't vertically stack able. Talk about suckage. Not to mention the wholesome resource hog Vs gets to be when you update versions.

Yeah, I know what Microsoft means by a Borad Impact.

Translation, lets build our tool messed up so we can get in our customer's way and thus a third market appears to come up of a solution. We help the economy and everybody is happy. Except for the customer of course.

Example, Have you ever seen anything more annoying than the Tabs from Visual 2005 onward, they're not only reversed but they also aren't vertically stack able. Talk about suckage. Not to mention the wholesome resource hog Vs gets to be when you update versions.

Visual Studio 2010 has some VERY slick stuff: http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/VisualStudio/Lab-Management-coming-to-Visual-Studio-Team-System-2010/

I'd say that's fairly innovative.

I don't have a problem with people who are willing to be honest saying that Microsoft isn't particularity innovative. I disagree, but consider the following:

1: He's been gone for six years. 6 years in IT is an eternity. His insider information is useless so why now do an op ed piece about this now?

Because he was a VP and one of the evangelists for tablet PCs, working at one of Apple's biggest competitors. He may have been gone a while, doesn't matter, the iPad is out now and his criticism of what he sees as Microsoft's failings will generate controversy and get people talking (which is the point of news).

Why wouldn't they want to print what a disillusioned ex-MS employee has to say about the iPad, especially since he felt that Microsoft squandered whatever input he had in terms of tablet development? Why wouldn't he want to vent his spleen at the company that he felt wouldn't listen to what he had to say, and use one of their competitors to compare them with? It makes sense.

7: How widely criticized has Apple been by more than a few people saying that the iPad is nothing more a giant iPhone? The iPad ain't exactly taking the world's breath away like the iPhone. There's no denying that. Just look at the buzz on the net. Not all that excited or complimentary.

The same anti-hype happened at the launch of both the iPod (too expensive, not enough room, what's the big deal) and the iPhone (no 3G, no multitasking, no MMS, no cut/paste). Hell, look at the anti-hype around the movie Avatar that was going months before it even came out. Popular things in the culture get people talking, and when lots of people talk there will be a large number of people that talk about failure. Now, I'm not saying that the iPad will be a hit, but the amount of negative feedback shouldn't be a surprise either.

8: So Apple took the iPhone, one of the coolest and most successful products ever and made it bigger. Sounds like playing it safe to me.

And yet others will now follow this model of combining mobile CPUs/mobile operating systems with flash memory and bigger screens. Did you actually watch the keynote? The third party apps like MLB (wow), Brushes, New York Times, NFS, all looked great when redesigned for the bigger screen. I've never seen anything like the MLB app, the way it would display video of the game and all of the related information in that way, way better than the iPhone app. Fast forward to about 40 minutes in if you want to take a look.

And here's something that's been going around, the iPad backup plan: http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17518/1/

At that size, dumb, you might as well have a keyboard. This is the fantasy ranting of a butthurt fanboy that didn't get what he wanted. You know what, a company mods Macbook Pros into tablets, they've been doing it for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiotron_Modbook

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Modbook_pro.jpg

They do a very clean job, the problem (as usual for me and tablets :)) is that I don't see a reason why. I barely see a reason for an iPad without more third party apps to motivate me, so why would I want a 15" tablet running OS X unless it had a seriously specialized interface and purpose? I have never seen one of these 15" Modbooks in the wild, I reckon most people don't see a reason either, not over a normal Macbook.

BTW, very fascinating article on Mr Brass from 2000, here he talks about his vision for tablets. He was years ahead of the curve: http://www.seattlepi.com/business/bras11.shtml

It would be funny if true, but I doubt it. Apple has had tablets in development since the mid-80s. They had a G4 based tablet in development that they canned in the late-90s because it would have been way too expensive to produce, too heavy, and with no battery life. Pointless, why not get a notebook instead? Instead they released the iPod. Years later, a tablet is still too expensive given the available technology. Instead they take that R&D and apply it towards the iPhone. All of their tablet R&D and multitouch acquisitions clearly trickled down to other mobile products, but the arrival of fast ARM processors and the groundwork laid by the iPhone and app store finally made a large screen tablet a viable product from a cost, ergonomic, performance, and software standpoint.

Again, a conspiracy type thing would be hilarious, but I doubt it, especially since he's putting his nuts out there so publically. First, if he was working with Apple then he just would have joined as an employee. Loads of people from Microsoft and other companies have ended up there, and vice-versa. Second, if he had secretly collaborated with Apple on a tablet and iPhone, shouldn't he just have kept his mouth shut instead of writing a controversial article in the frigging New York Times? That's painting a pretty big target on your back, especially if industrial espionage is a possibility. :)

Nah, I think he's just venting frustrations at a company where he was a small fry. People do it all the time.

I'm not saying that there was a conspiracy per se, but what got me angry at this and REALLY made me distrust his motives is the fact that he lied. OneNote is part of the Office suite and has been since the year BEFORE left Microsoft. He rants on about how Microsoft didn't put digital ink in Office and just forgets to mention the most advanced digital ink application application on the planet? A guy that worked on the Tablet PC? And as a Tablet PC guy he clearly understands the controversy over the utility of digital ink. Digital ink ISN'T in the iPad.

He VERY well knows about OneNote. He chose not to mention it. Why?:confused:

What did they take out?

probably the nifty feature of only being able to check user mailbox status (like the size...) from the COMMAND LINE!

OMG, Exchange 2007 has nothing going for it except 64Bit. It's bloated garbage. Every moron with a MS gold partner certification wants to charge and extra 10K for extra hardware and licensing for a edge transport server that nobody needs! If you have a decent firewall and/or Ironport installed you don't need it!

As to the article, I found the MS response to be typical corporate response fodder. The answers came in the form of delusional cheer-leading over BS features (Natal? c'mon now)
or ad copy from E-week.

As to the article, I found the MS response to be typical corporate response fodder. The answers came in the form of delusional cheer-leading over BS features (Natal? c'mon now)
or ad copy from E-week.

The answer also came in the form of OneNote. The most powerful digital ink app on the planet and nothing like it anywhere else. The epitome of innovation.

I'm harping on this because as a former Microsoft VP working in the tablet division he knows about OneNote. So if the the response was corporate fodder the op ed piece was a lie.

well I have to give MS this, well answered. But I do see some of the points here. (though the ipad BS made me roll my eyes). MS is like any corporate entity, it gets successful product blinders on. and that does stifle innovation. Still the answer given is a damn good response.

The answer also came in the form of OneNote. The most powerful digital ink app on the planet and nothing like it anywhere else. The epitome of innovation.
You're consistently missing his point (which I don't necessarily agree with). He's not talking about a note-taking application, he's talking about the whole system being usable with only a stylus. Entering filenames, search queries and so on. But that's not even the point either, it's bigger than that. Handwriting recognition was big then, everyone tried to do it, Palm had the great graffiti scheme, WinCE had handwriting recognition that sorta worked once you learned how to trick it and so on. It took some getting used to, but it was working for lots of people and he saw a niche then for the kind of product iPad is today. But instead of trying to develop something around this concept, management decided not to embrace the concept fully and integrate it into a cohesive system, made a half-assed effort, and it failed. Unsurprisingly. I'm not sure if he's trying to draw a parallel with iPad's lack of a stylus or not, he doesn't seem to take a stand on whether he thinks it will be successful, but it seems maybe slightly more than coincidence that he brings this up.

And I have to agree with him on this point. Microsoft is far behind the curve. They continue to rehash their same old core products with minor improvements every few years and do very little else that is new before someone else has done it first.

You're consistently missing his point (which I don't necessarily agree with). He's not talking about a note-taking application, he's talking about the whole system being usable with only a stylus. Entering filenames, search queries and so on. But that's not even the point either, it's bigger than that. Handwriting recognition was big then, everyone tried to do it, Palm had the great graffiti scheme, WinCE had handwriting recognition that sorta worked once you learned how to trick it and so on. It took some getting used to, but it was working for lots of people and he saw a niche then for the kind of product iPad is today. But instead of trying to develop something around this concept, management decided not to embrace the concept fully and integrate it into a cohesive system, made a half-assed effort, and it failed. Unsurprisingly. I'm not sure if he's trying to draw a parallel with iPad's lack of a stylus or not, he doesn't seem to take a stand on whether he thinks it will be successful, but it seems maybe slightly more than coincidence that he brings this up.

And I have to agree with him on this point. Microsoft is far behind the curve. They continue to rehash their same old core products with minor improvements every few years and do very little else that is new before someone else has done it first.

You clearly haven't used a tablet pc, at least not recently.

You can ink directly in ALL Office applications. However only among OneNote supports Microsoft's full digital ink. Brass didn't mention that in this article. Deception #1. The Tablet Input Panel (TIP) has undergone two MAJOR upgrades since XP. The TIP in Windows 7 is AMAZING. It's FAR from slow or cumbersome. It converts in real time and has an extremely advanced correction capabilities. I'm using it to ink this post now. Deception #2.

But the worst deception of all is ignoring the controversy over the usefulness digital ink. Just look at all of the discussions on this board about the iPad. I've lost count of how many people have said that the lack of pen was no big deal and said that they could input text faster with an on screen keyboard. Throwing features into a product that people don't use isn't innovative. Most people around here call that bloat don't they?

BTW, OneNote 2010 is MUCH more than note taker. It now can be used to create web sites among a bunch of other stuff I'm trying to figure out.

Sure he has a point. But he is LYING ABOUT A LOT.

What happened? Unlike other companies, Microsoft never developed a true system for innovation. Some of my former colleagues argue that it actually developed a system to thwart innovation. Despite having one of the largest and best corporate laboratories in the world, and the luxury of not one but three chief technology officers, the company routinely manages to frustrate the efforts of its visionary thinkers.

WTF?? Computers wouldn't even be anywhere near where they are if it hadn't been for Microsoft finally stepping in standardizing everything back in the 90's. All the stuff that we find fun, easy & enjoyable today were a complete cluster fuck 15 years ago.

Any body remember before Plug & Play??

Anybody remember having different startup floppies for different games trying to get as much free base memory as possible??

DirectX can be considered one of the best thing thats ever happened to the PC. Back in the 90's there was zero standardization for video cards, sound cards, video codecs. You prayed that the game you bought supported your specific vendor or even specific chipset. You had to find and install specific codecs if you wanted to watch movies and then had to find a program that could use that specific codec.

With DirectX the software publishers could finally just write the games to a standard, and hardware companies could then build to the same standard. Video codecs just had to be installed and now any program could have access to them.

Instead of trying to wade through the mess of multiple browsers like Netscape or Opera, finally everyone could use the same browser which meant webpages were designed to look right to most people. Ya its made life worse for those of you who try not to use Internet Explorer, but for the majority of us thigs look correct.

Before Windows Media player there was all kinds of nasty stuff like pixelated Real Audio/Video, bulky Apple Quicktime. Now there was a descent standard that anyone with Windows could watch.

Microsoft made using computers easy and took the headache out of it. Whos provided all the competition that forced them into this? Whos provided a better solution?

WTF?? Computers wouldn't even be anywhere near where they are if it hadn't been for Microsoft finally stepping in standardizing everything back in the 90's. All the stuff that we find fun, easy & enjoyable today were a complete cluster fuck 15 years ago.

Anybody remember having different startup floppies for different games trying to get as much free base memory as possible??

DirectX can be considered one of the best thing thats ever happened to the PC. Back in the 90's there was zero standardization for video cards, sound cards, video codecs. You prayed that the game you bought supported your specific vendor or even specific chipset. You had to find and install specific codecs if you wanted to watch movies and then had to find a program that could use that specific codec.

With DirectX the software publishers could finally just write the games to a standard, and hardware companies could then build to the same standard. Video codecs just had to be installed and now any program could have access to them.

Instead of trying to wade through the mess of multiple browsers like Netscape or Opera, finally everyone could use the same browser which meant webpages were designed to look right to most people. Ya its made life worse for those of you who try not to use Internet Explorer, but for the majority of us thigs look correct.

Before Windows Media player there was all kinds of nasty stuff like pixelated Real Audio/Video, bulky Apple Quicktime. Now there was a descent standard that anyone with Windows could watch.

Microsoft made using computers easy and took the headache out of it. Whos provided all the competition that forced them into this? Whos provided a better solution?

BINGO. Exactly some of the points I was going to make. Microsoft has been an innovator for years. But unlike Apple, they have a more open system and have to be able to support a lot more hardware and devices. Also if memory serves me correctly, Microsoft came out with the Surface quite a while ago didn't they? Has anyone else produced anything even close to it? No. So this BS about Microsoft not being an innovator is just that, BS.

People just need to learn how business works. When you are a large producer you have more to worry about every time you come up with a new product. That is why IBM stopped producing as much and sold off most of their production arms so they could continue to innovate and sell their ideas to others to produce.

Was bound to happen, someone else would likely have done it better. Remember how spotty support was for Plug and Play? It laid the foundation for Microsoft to dictate hardware as well as software requirements according to its own design.

I remember not even starting the PC without a floppy. This was a problem dictated by Microsoft's own bad memory design.

Back then there was a thing called OpenGL and VESA both of which Microsoft never worked well with in favor of their own standard.

According to the limitations imposed by Microsoft architecture. I don't deny DirectX as a great platform but there were other options that could have worked out just as well.

And have gross incompatibilities across versions of the same browser. At a whim Microsoft could remove a component and render web based applications useless as was the case with the move from IE6 to IE7. Let's not even start with the security and performance issues. I still can't manage some Cisco devices with it and have to switch to Firefox. If Microsoft had held to the Mozilla standard it was based on there would have been no formatting issues.

So long as the format was a Microsoft codec like ASF, WMV or AVI. It's only recently that Media player has been able to display MP4 and DIVX was still a plug-in. Quicktime is still around and it's laughable that media player could be considered "slim"
There were far more usable and lightweight players that played a greater variety of formats than media player.

You THINK it's easy because you've never had the opportunity to try a mature competing product. MS Marketing and Legal departments made sure of that. I firmly believe Mac OSX could have supplanted at least 25% of MS desktop market share during the VISTA fiasco if SteveO would have allowed Leopard to install on PC platforms. Linux is still about as mature as Windows 95 for a desktop platform.

You THINK it's easy because you've never had the opportunity to try a mature competing product. MS Marketing and Legal departments made sure of that. I firmly believe Mac OSX could have supplanted at least 25% of MS desktop market share during the VISTA fiasco if SteveO would have allowed Leopard to install on PC platforms. Linux is still about as mature as Windows 95 for a desktop platform.

PS I also responded in the quote...

:D

Back in 95? What are you smoking?

I'm harping on this because as a former Microsoft VP working in the tablet division he knows about OneNote. So if the the response was corporate fodder the op ed piece was a lie.

He would have seen OneNote 2003 which was not robust, not reliable and begged for the 2007 refresh. It was a nice concept but One2003 was too problematic to be a serious office component. I'd wager most people on this forum have never even heard of it let alone see it. Most people were also not using tablets at the time either which OneNote was designed to work with.

The supposed unification of messaging, web resources and multimedia was not a natural process from the standpoint of the interface and frequently led to disorganized notebooks that negated the supposed benefits of the design.

I'm consistently amazed at the garbage people will go through just to complete a simple task because the marketing hype told them it was a good thing.

:cool:

All the major OSes are all mature at this point, that's not the issue. The issue is third party support. Plus Apple has NEVER really been an software company. And while Apple might deploy a few more copies of OS X, it would probably be no where near 25%.

The OVERWHELIMG majority of OS sales, at least the legal ones for Microsoft, come from pre-installs and of course all of Apples do.

I just don't see that many people rushing out to by OS X for a PC. Sure for enthusiasts but the average person has NOTHING to gain, maybe a little security from obscurity but that's about it.

Plus that's support that Apple has to offer. Stand alone copies would cost A LOT more than bundled ones. I don't see Apple making enough money from this to justify the radical change in their currently VERY successful closed and locked business model to justify the change.

He would have seen OneNote 2003 which was not robust, not reliable and begged for the 2007 refresh. It was a nice concept but One2003 was too problematic to be a serious office component. I'd wager most people on this forum have never even heard of it let alone see it. Most people were also not using tablets at the time either which OneNote was designed to work with.

The supposed unification of messaging, web resources and multimedia was not a natural process from the standpoint of the interface and frequently led to disorganized notebooks that negated the supposed benefits of the design.

I'm consistently amazed at the garbage people will go through just to complete a simple task because the marketing hype told them it was a good thing.

I've been using OneNote since day one on tablets and I NEVER had the problems you described with OneNote 2003 on three different tablets and a half dozen laptops.

OneNote have NEVER been tied to tablets BTW.

Clarification, OneNote has NEVER NEEDED a tablet. It works just fine with only a keyboard and mouse interface.

You THINK it's easy because you've never had the opportunity to try a mature competing product.

I'm not sure what thats supposed to mean exactly, whats a "mature" OS?? I use Windows, OSX, Linux, & Solaris on a regular (daily) basis and I prefer Windows by far for the things I do on my own time.

You pointed out what I was trying to say. Microsoft made computers what they are today because they stepped in and mandated standards for their operating system for the all the stuff that we enjoy doing with our computers. That way everyone is on the same page and has at least a minimal level of compatibility. I only wish Microsoft would include Office as part of the standard programs included in the OS. Apple doesn't include there office app either.

I'm not sure what thats supposed to mean exactly, whats a "mature" OS?? I use Windows, OSX, Linux, & Solaris on a regular (daily) basis and I prefer Windows by far for the things I do on my own time.

You pointed out what I was trying to say. Microsoft made computers what they are today because they stepped in and mandated standards for their operating system for the all the stuff that we enjoy doing with our computers. That way everyone is on the same page and has at least a minimal level of compatibility. I only wish Microsoft would include Office as part of the standard programs included in the OS. Apple doesn't include there office app either.

Office 2010 will have reduced functionality free client and web versions I believe.

RTFP....

I compared the maturity of the Linux desktop RIGHT NOW to Windows 95

I did read it. I just misunderstood :-P

But you're fairly close. Linux is quite a bit more mature than that, but yeah it's not quite there.

I'd personally compare Linux with Win ME :D

*runs away from all the Linux fans*

MS doesn't rule the planet for nothing. They get shit done.

EXACTLY, They get SHIT done and then spread it all over the UI.

I suppose all you MS fanboys think the "Ribbon" is intuitive.

If so, I suggest that you take up a career in programming if you haven't already.
That's the only group that mess is intuitive to.

Oh and to this...

All the major OSes are all mature at this point, that's not the issue. The issue is third party support. Plus Apple has NEVER really been an software company. And while Apple might deploy a few more copies of OS X, it would probably be no where near 25%.

Let me borrow this from Azhar

What are you smoking?

EXACTLY, They get SHIT done and then spread it all over the UI.

just because we like something doesn't make us fanboys or girls :rolleyes:

you could equally say it makes you a hater, or even an Apple/Linux fanboy.

Back