Microsoft Reportedly Working on Four Gaming Franchises

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Thanks to a sharp-eyed reader from NeoGAF, the Linkedin profile of a Microsoft Senior Product Manager reveals that he is working on four unannounced gaming projects, presumably for the next-gen Xbox. After years of being absent, it appears that Microsoft is back in the gaming development business.

Microsoft is expected to announce its next-gen Xbox plans in the coming months, which may include an Xbox TV set-top box and 7-inch Xbox Surface tablet in addition to a new Xbox console.

I would be excited if I thought they had a chance in hell of coming to PC.

Microsoft, please unify your games libraries so anyone with MS OS driven PC or an XBox can buy and play your games. Not like there's any extra work involved going from one to the other. You can make some serious coin doing that. Remember: if it wasn't for us PC gaming folk making your franchises successful in the beginning, you would have nothing to perpetuate and eventually make XBox only titles. Don't forget to share the love with those that made you what you've become. You've taken your first step by introducing the XBox Live games store to Windows 8...now take it further and flood the market with all your titles shared between both hardware platforms.

Didn't microsoft say something a couple years ago that they were working on a cutting edge PC first person shooter. I remember reading an article about it, but cannot seem to find it anywhere on the net these days. I highly doubt anything they are working on is PC oriented though

Everything after 2 was utter crap. If they do revive that franchise, I'm really hoping they simplify it

I did like the deck setup. That added some extra fun into building up each civilization and optimizing your deck for what you wanted to do. I miss regicide so much though.

Microsoft is expected to announce its next-gen Xbox plans in the coming months, which may include an Xbox TV set-top box and 7-inch Xbox Surface tablet in addition to a new Xbox console.
So instead of taking advantage of the console to make a media player worth a crap which for the Xbox has more to do with Software/Interface than hardware, they're going to sell you two devices. Nice.

Well they most certainly need to do something, they had horrible exclusives this generation and relied on the weight of the Gears, Halo and Forza combo to drive exclusive sales.

Sounds like they're making addons for the new Xbox 720. Kinda like the Sega CD was for the Sega Genesis. Except you'll get the ability to record TV shows, like a DVR addon.

The tablet idea is just what Nintendo did with the Wii U, except separately sold.

segacd.jpg

Age of Empires damnit....

There was an Age of Empires less than a year ago! :p

I thought they were giving up on Halo and focusing on the evil counterpart named Pointy Red Tail.

They found out through marketing that 12 year olds didn't know "who the fuck that was". So they had to stick to churning out more games called Halo, based on the "Modern UI Warfare" sucessful buisness model (they should so release a game called Halo:Modern UI Warfare... and have these marine people from a cold sun vs these red bird/cat marine people...:D).

yeah i want three extra devices that one device could do, taking up space in my entertainment center.

So instead of taking advantage of the console to make a media player worth a crap which for the Xbox has more to do with Software/Interface than hardware, they're going to sell you two devices. Nice.

My guess is that the set-top box would be aimed at competing against the Google TV / Apple TV / Roku / HDLive / etc. players. It'd probably be a sub-$100 "Xbox branded" device (same interface) that allows you to do certain things.

Now, if they make it so it can stream the game from a console in another room, that'd be pretty sweet. Imagine being able to have an Xbox set-top box in the bedroom. You start playing a game, pause it, and then retrieve the session in the living room with the console.

I don't think it'd add too much in latency if you have a high-speed network (internal). It'd just be relaying the display and the control commands.

My guess is that the set-top box would be aimed at competing against the Google TV / Apple TV / Roku / HDLive / etc. players. It'd probably be a sub-$100 "Xbox branded" device (same interface) that allows you to do certain things.
\

Also - I think I remember reading that Microsoft has realigned some of their brands. Zune Music and Zune Video are now Xbox Music and Xbox Video.

This rebranding would lead me to belief that the word "Xbox" is going to be expanded on. It doesn't necessarily mean it is going to be a gaming console, it could mean it is a media player device / etc. - if this is true, it could confuse consumers. But then again, Microsoft has never been bright when it comes to branding (see the Hotmail .. Live .. etc etc stuff).

Everything after 2 was utter crap. If they do revive that franchise, I'm really hoping they simplify it

Wow - I thought it was just me who thought that 2 was amazing and the rest were too complex and crap

Age of Mythology 2, please. Well, I'd actually rather have Robot do it under a different game name than the wankers that are left at Ensemble now.

Back