Microsoft Releases New Tool For Inspecting Telemetry Data

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In a blog post today, Microsoft that it will be rolling out "Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer" with the April feature update. The tool is available to insiders now, allows you to see and search all Windows diagnostic data that’s in the cloud related to your specific device.

Good move on Microsoft's part to finally come clean about the telemetry inside Windows 10. There are many people who have refused to upgrade because of the data collection from Microsoft. Perhaps with the increased transparency it will give more people the peace of mind needed to make the switch.

From improving in-product control, transparency and information about your privacy, while providing a complete list of the diagnostic data collected at the Basic level, among others, to launching the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard and the enhancements we’ve made since then, we want you to be able to easily see and manage your activity data online across multiple Microsoft services.

I deleted everything except Display.Driver, HDAudio, MSVCRT, NVI2, and PhysX before installing 390.65. Telemetry, what telemetry?

Group Policy to disable the Windows one.

I deleted everything except Display.Driver, HDAudio, MSVCRT, NVI2, and PhysX before installing 390.65. Telemetry, what telemetry?
Group Policy to disable the Windows one.

The one from Intel among others. telemetry has been invasive as f#ck over the recent years

The only telemetry tool we need is an off switch.
Exactly. Telling you what information they are collecting is meaningless without the ability to turn it off.

Microsoft is just being an arrogant prick -- "HA HA, this is what we're doing and you can't do anything about it".

All of the controls for data collection need to be turned off. Not partially turned off, 100% off. MS does not seem to understand this, or they are doing this for the purpose of a backdoor/Intelligence community.

The Dutch slam Microsoft for privacy laws with Win10... The Chinese has a govt version. Why cant Microsoft release a version to Americans with no tracking/data collection shenanigans... I will never upgrade to Win10. I will switch to Linux first, and have a box with Win7 just for games.

I love telemetry. It makes my PC usage feel more meaningful. I'd be happy to sell my usage data to companies and offer it for free for charity. I don't even mind giving away info for free to anyone.

Trust needs to be earned, this cannot do it.
We have no proof everything that MS sends from our PC is on display, this tool cannot do that.
We are back to square one.

We need a tool to view what is in every packet leaving the PC and a way to easily confirm what 'any packet not decrypted' was created by.
This wont happen.
Its impossible to trust MS without absolute clarity, they earned that.

I wouldnt even trust an off switch without the above method of confirming what is leaving the PC and where it is going.

Trust needs to be earned, this cannot do it.
We have no proof everything that MS sends from our PC is on display, this tool cannot do that.
We are back to square one.

We need a tool to view what is in every packet leaving the PC and a way to easily confirm what 'any packet not decrypted' was created by.
This wont happen.
Its impossible to trust MS without absolute clarity, they earned that.

I wouldnt even trust an off switch without the above method of confirming what is leaving the PC and where it is going.
The answer truly would be the off switch, and then confirmation by users who know how to use wireshark.. right? Wrong! Then you don't know if they collect data, store it locally, and upload it when Windows Updates run, where you would expect data to be exchanged both ways.

Once you open this box, you're all in. I'm quoting you because you're correct, not because I disagree :)

I'll just game on Linux instead, thanks.
You might want to check your Linux build there are a number of them that do collect telemetry, though if you tell them not too they will stop completely except for Ubuntu they sell that shit to Amazon like its their business or something.

Microsoft expects us to trust their report about their spying services, after they tried shoving it up our collective asses? Nice try.

Why don't you just port DirectX and every other useful Win32/Win64 library into an open source library with MIT licensing and integrate it into Linux. That doesn't sound very nice does it? Then you have no fucking right spying on us.

Microsoft expects us to trust their report about their spying services, after they tried shoving it up our collective asses? Nice try.

Why don't you just port DirectX and every other useful Win32/Win64 library into an open source library with MIT licensing and integrate it into Linux. That doesn't sound very nice does it? Then you have no fucking right spying on us.
Its not like they have prevented anybody from building their own tool to inspect the reports.

Took me around 4 hours to disable everything and it still auto updates and asks me to restart my computer despite me turning it off in over 10 different places. Cortana is essentially built into the search feature so there's no way to disable it without breaking the basic search feature that you pretty much need for bringing up basic needs like msconfig, ect. No matter how many times you get rid of it, it always comes back. Some of the telemetry features that are automatically enabled give access to your microphone, webcam, and a variety of other horrifying privacy concerns with NO WAY to opt out without spending hours learning how to navigate the purposely hidden options in the backbone of windows. It's a fucking joke, and if I had known how incredibly forceful windows 10 was I wouldn't have upgraded my main box.

Took me around 4 hours to disable everything and it still auto updates and asks me to restart my computer despite me turning it off in over 10 different places. Cortana is essentially built into the search feature so there's no way to disable it without breaking the basic search feature that you pretty much need for bringing up basic needs like msconfig, ect. No matter how many times you get rid of it, it always comes back. Some of the telemetry features that are automatically enabled give access to your microphone, webcam, and a variety of other horrifying privacy concerns with NO WAY to opt out without spending hours learning how to navigate the purposely hidden options in the backbone of windows. It's a fucking joke, and if I had known how incredibly forceful windows 10 was I wouldn't have upgraded my main box.
Depends on the version and your install. The only Microsoft app I wasn't able to disable/uninstall pre-imaging was the store albeit was able to remove access to it and hide. All through simple PowerShell cmds, but on pro not home. Our vms have even more control as enterprise is required for proper vm on win10.

Honestly i hate the telemetry but it's become so cliche to whine like a bitch about on forums I loathe the whiners.

Depends on the version and your install. The only Microsoft app I wasn't able to disable/uninstall pre-imaging was the store albeit was able to remove access to it and hide. All through simple PowerShell cmds, but on pro not home. Our vms have even more control as enterprise is required for proper vm on win10.

Honestly i hate the telemetry but it's become so cliche to whine like a bitch about on forums I loathe the whiners.
Yeah with Enterprise and the other flavours tied to their licensing agreements you can easily turn off everything except for the built in Windows Defender as it reports back threats if finds.

Microsoft telling us what "is" and "isn't" going on with Telemetry is like asking for a "yes" or "no" answer from Putin about their meddling in our election.

Gov't: Putin, did you meddle?

Putin: No.

The end.

Yeah I was just surprised at how far reaching it was when I actually tried to disable it all. I thought they were probably skimming a little off the top but honestly every single interaction on the pc is virtually open game.

So how many stupid people here think that this tool will actually be showing you everything that Microsoft collects on behalf of themselves, and the various spy agencies around the world?

If you think this is Microsoft being on the level, then you are more stupid than I already think you are.

Its not like they have prevented anybody from building their own tool to inspect the reports.

Yeah, like there is an API for that! And even if there was, don't you think that there is also an "undocumented" version that is used as well?

Why cant Microsoft release a version to Americans with no tracking/data collection shenanigans.

because of the ignorant that say things like "i've got nothing to hide" and "google do it so stop whinging" etc etc

In toher wrods... the majoirty is as thick as two bricks so there for enough of an uproar has not happened (which is difficult to believe given the hits 10 has taken since before its release).

This is how societies get distroyed. At first, very very slowly. Then REALLY fast!

In a blog post today, Microsoft that it will be rolling out "Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer" with the April feature update. The tool is available to insiders now, allows you to see and search all Windows diagnostic data that’s in the cloud related to your specific device.

Good move on Microsoft's part to finally come clean about the telemetry inside Windows 10. There are many people who have refused to upgrade because of the data collection from Microsoft. Perhaps with the increased transparency it will give more people the peace of mind needed to make the switch.

From improving in-product control, transparency and information about your privacy, while providing a complete list of the diagnostic data collected at the Basic level, among others, to launching the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard and the enhancements we’ve made since then, we want you to be able to easily see and manage your activity data online across multiple Microsoft services.

LOL yeah right. A tool built by the company to inspect the data it gathers on you. Bullshit. Open source it and then I will believe it.

Telemetry exists in software, OS's, and heck even firmware in some cases. I've long since given up the idea of privacy with tech unless you not only program all the hardware chipsets of a device you use along with complete knowledge,control, and use over every piece of software running on it. I can't say I've met anyone who's done this with anything beyond an arduino or rasperry recently. Even then, as soon as it connects to the internet some amount of data becomes shared thru your ISP or NIC. The recent meltdown/spectre scare was total proof how little most people actually know about the builtin instruction sets of their hardware chips. I've posted numerous times about the security conferences where they've exposed 'unknown' registers within x86 architectures and Intel has offered no explanation nor are they required to. They're not the only ones. Point is telemetry in 10, yes it sucks, is only the icing on the cake. When things under the hood are able to operate independently of an OS offering access and possible independent transmission then this 10 telemetry really is only a slight of hand that keeps people obsessed about what they think they know and continued ignorance in what they have no clue about.

I'm more concerned about the various entities who reverse engineer this data to find newer exploits in 10 before MS does, especially with their regularly scheduled feature update plans.

Last edited:

Have you tried O&O Shutup 10? It probably won't stop 100% Win10 from calling home, but it'll save you a lot of time.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

The only telemetry tool we need is an off switch.
And yet, even if Microsoft did provide this "off" switch there would be people who wouldn't believe that it works. Microsoft can't win no matter what they do.

Oh but I know what you're going to say next. You're going to say that we could have someone do an analysis to make sure that the "off" switch is really doing what it's supposed to be doing. And if that person does say that the off switch works that person would be called a Microsoft shill because if they say it works then they must be lying because... well, just because.

You know what will stop 100% Win10 from calling home? My firewall with a deny all outbound for any connection I do not specifically have a rule setup for.

Only real way is to unplug from network :(

Look, I get what people are saying about trust and data collection......I'm not saying I disagee...but at what point do you stop the conspiracy theories and just use the damn OS?

There are tools to block telemetry, there are steps to turn it off, they are opening up about it and changing it up.....and still people cry conspiracy.

Tweak and use the OS or don't.....just quit whining about it already!
16ifpmw.jpg

And yet, even if Microsoft did provide this "off" switch there would be people who wouldn't believe that it works. Microsoft can't win no matter what they do.

Oh but I know what you're going to say next. You're going to say that we could have someone do an analysis to make sure that the "off" switch is really doing what it's supposed to be doing. And if that person does say that the off switch works that person would be called a Microsoft shill because if they say it works then they must be lying because... well, just because.
They pulled the trigger on us and still refuse to let go.
They deserve what they get.

Back