Microsoft Releases New Tool For Inspecting Telemetry Data

Look, I get what people are saying about trust and data collection......I'm not saying I disagee...but at what point do you stop the conspiracy theories and just use the damn OS?

There are tools to block telemetry, there are steps to turn it off, they are opening up about it and changing it up.....and still people cry conspiracy.

Tweak and use the OS or don't.....just quit whining about it already!
16ifpmw.jpg

If you didn't want to hear about the whining and complaining you shouldn't have entered the discussion! :)

I don't like the changes Microsoft is making with Windows 8 and above so I now use Linux as my main OS, Windows 10 is just for the games I have that aren't available for Linux. Seemed to be a good switch since there's a lot less gyrations involved in maintaining my OS.

Can't.....stop.....laughing......they did what? and why? ROFLMAO!!!!! You gotta be kidding me! ROFLMAO!!!!

Why does this remind me of some old guy throwing open the saide of his van and asking a little girl if she wants some candy? "Come on little girl,...it's good for...see...hmmmm"

DAYUM! LOL!

If you didn't want to hear about the whining and complaining you shouldn't have entered the discussion! :)

I don't like the changes Microsoft is making with Windows 8 and above so I now use Linux as my main OS, Windows 10 is just for the games I have that aren't available for Linux. Seemed to be a good switch since there's a lot less gyrations involved in maintaining my OS.
There are those who cry, sit, and point fingers.....and then there are those who get up and do something about a situation.

You sir are of the latter group...and I salute you! Exactly what I'm talking about.

And yet, even if Microsoft did provide this "off" switch there would be people who wouldn't believe that it works. Microsoft can't win no matter what they do.

Oh but I know what you're going to say next. You're going to say that we could have someone do an analysis to make sure that the "off" switch is really doing what it's supposed to be doing. And if that person does say that the off switch works that person would be called a Microsoft shill because if they say it works then they must be lying because... well, just because.
That's rather pessimistic lol. Were someone to actually write a techhcnical article on it, walking through the steps taken and what was found, not dissimilar to the [H] hardware reviews, I doubt it would be met with such skepticism

Look, I get what people are saying about trust and data collection......I'm not saying I disagee...but at what point do you stop the conspiracy theories and just use the damn OS?

There are tools to block telemetry, there are steps to turn it off, they are opening up about it and changing it up.....and still people cry conspiracy.

Tweak and use the OS or don't.....just quit whining about it already!

It's really Microsoft that needs to ask itself "at what point do we stop conceding users to Windows 7 and calcifying its userbase for the next decade by not providing an opt out in 10?" Especially when adoption of 10 is floundering so badly.

The whole "force an unpopular change and wait for it to blow over" tactic doesn't work when you're 2 1/2 years into your product cycle, adoption is stalled, and its not blowing over. They tried the head-in-sand tactic with the start screen in Windows 8 and we saw how that turned out.

Calling it a conspiracy theory is just being obtuse - it's obviously very real and Microsoft not only acknowledges but is shameless about it. Garage hacks to disable or block telemetry aren't a complete solution or bulletproof, since they're only a best guess. The anti-spyware tools also break/reset after every major update since Microsoft doesn't know how to delta update its OS anymore.

They haven't "taken any steps" or "opened up" about anything - its just more PR bullshit. Until there's an opt-out, nothing has changed.

Last edited:
They did not need Windows to have that happen to them and the Linux Desktop just gives you the illusion of control.

Windows 10 has its problems and I've long said that the telemetry should be something with a "complete" off switch. I put complete in quotes because there's a lot of other traffic that all modern OSes generate that aren't related to telemetry. The internet connection icon in Windows and other OSes ping an internet URL to function for instance.

I be the first person to dump Windows totally for something that supported most all of my hardware and software. At today's hardware prices the cost of an OS for now doesn't even matter at the higher end. Windows has its problems but not when it comes to 3rd party support. One day Microsoft haters might understand that. But sure, hate on Microsoft for things you don't like, that's a good thing. Just don't think everyone that uses Windows and finds it more than usable is being paid.

Lol I can tell you're out of the loop, because you're working on dated information. The amazon issue lasted for ONE release, and the one following it, it was off by default. Ever since then, it has been an OPTION, and is TURNED OFF BY DEFAULT.

Not only that, I can actually granularly monitor the traffic my distro/install is sending to anyone, and validate that in fact, nothing is actually being sent without my EXPLICIT permission (not IMPLICIT unlike WIn 10).

You might want to check your Linux build there are a number of them that do collect telemetry, though if you tell them not too they will stop completely except for Ubuntu they sell that shit to Amazon like its their business or something.

Lol I can tell you're out of the loop, because you're working on dated information. The amazon issue lasted for ONE release, and the one following it, it was off by default. Ever since then, it has been an OPTION, and is TURNED OFF BY DEFAULT.

Not only that, I can actually granularly monitor the traffic my distro/install is sending to anyone, and validate that in fact, nothing is actually being sent without my EXPLICIT permission (not IMPLICIT unlike WIn 10).
I very well could be I am not much of a Linux user I have a number of Redhat servers that just do their thing and outside of security updates I don't touch them and haven't had to, fingers crossed I never will until the day they are phased out.

I very well could be I am not much of a Linux user I have a number of Redhat servers that just do their thing and outside of security updates I don't touch them and haven't had to, fingers crossed I never will until the day they are phased out.

And thats how servers get hacked ;)

What are you implying should be done in addition to security updates? I have two openvpn serversat work and ii similarly only run the security updates.

Keeping up with security updates is obviously critical but there other proactive things like access reviews, threat scans and intrusion detection.

What are you implying should be done in addition to security updates? I have two openvpn serversat work and ii similarly only run the security updates.

A lot. Applying security updates is a good start but by no means prevents your servers from being hacked. Here is a sample of things you need to do (not a complete list):

1) Review logs for outgoing connections that are unusual
2) Monitoring of the processes running on the box for new/unusual processes
3) Review configurations for changes - i.e. is a new account on the box now?
4) Enable two factor authentication or at a minimum password rotation and complexity rules

A lot. Applying security updates is a good start but by no means prevents your servers from being hacked. Here is a sample of things you need to do (not a complete list):

1) Review logs for outgoing connections that are unusual
2) Monitoring of the processes running on the box for new/unusual processes
3) Review configurations for changes - i.e. is a new account on the box now?
4) Enable two factor authentication or at a minimum password rotation and complexity rules

The servers are not accessable from the outside the 2 buildings that use them, they only function on ports 80 and 443, they don't respond to ICMP and the root username has been changed and the default SSH port has been changed.

Back