Microsoft Releases More Diversity Stats, And They Aren’t Pretty

If everyone in this country had been free to benefit from their hard work and results without the need for something like the 13th Amendment and Civil Rights Act we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Would've, could've, should've. Throwing unqualified people into positions where they don't belong isn't the solution.

Would've, could've, should've. Throwing unqualified people into positions where they don't belong isn't the solution.

Exactly. there aren't large numbers of qualified black IT professionals unable to find a job.

The fact is, companies WILL hire a qualified black IT worker over a similarly qualified white or Asian in order to boost their "diversity" numbers.

Make no mistake, white males(and that includes Asian males, now conveniently lumped in with white males because they are also successful in tech), the ultimate goal here is not fairness, equality, or an egalitarian system.

The goal is revenge. Revenge for "crimes" that you never committed but are guilty of nonetheless because of the color of the skin you were born with.

If the numbers that have been coming out from these tech companies are true then throwing unqualified people into positions isn't even happening, not based on race or gender.

If the numbers that have been coming out from these tech companies are true then throwing unqualified people into positions isn't even happening, not based on race or gender.

And they should keep it that way. If they want to help underrepresented demographics out of pure altruism they need to start from the ground up, not doctor the numbers essentially. :rolleyes:

And they should keep it that way. If they want to help underrepresented demographics out of pure altruism they need to start from the ground up, not doctor the numbers essentially. :rolleyes:

If this were a matter of altruism we wouldn't be talking about this subject.

I'll let you have the last word. Call it affirmative action. ;) Go on.

I call it a blood feud. And a key part of this centuries old feud has been money. And if it even has the slightest smell of reparations, like what you call affirmative action, that's when some folks go nuclear.

And when generations of your ancestors had their lives impacted negatively because of the color of their skin likewise.

Generations of my ancestors were slaughtered in and killed in WW2. My parents moved to this country without speaking English and with $500 and a 3 year old. Stop with the "oh poor me" train and get some training and a job and work for it.

You mean like the "N" HL? I always find it interesting that people bring up pro sports in these conversations when leagues started out about as bright white as could be, and some like the NHL and NASCAR which are still mostly that way.

I'm glad you brought that up. Why is the NHL so white? Is it a racist league? How many black kids do you see playing street hockey? Just because the talent pool you are drawing upon isn't diverse does not make your organization racist or sexist.

Microsoft should have ZERO diversity.

They should focus on having only ONE type of person employed with them; the best damn person for the job.

Anti-diversity should be their goal, and the race of people irrelevant as long as they are focusing on harnessing that right type of person. This political correctness and forced quotas nonsense has to stop.

I wish all this PC crap about diversity in the work place would just die.

The way a business should be run is that you hire the most qualified and appropriate people for the jobs you need to fill.

Hiring black, hispanics, asians, whites, etc. just to meet some stupid diversity expectation is completely and utterly retarded.

Must be a nice place.

Your ideal world you live in.

The way a business should be run is that you hire the most qualified and appropriate people for the jobs you need to fill.

Hiring black, hispanics, asians, whites, etc. just to meet some stupid diversity expectation is completely and utterly retarded.

The funny thing about Diversity in the work place. Its not a law. There is nothing legally binding that says someone must hire the same percentage of diverse employees as the community represents. END OF STORY. To make an issue out of this in any way shape or form just means its a slow news day, Move on to something important like getting people who actually want to work in that field, and dont give a shit if their boss(es) are white or purple, a fucking job to make a living. Everyone else can go fuck themselves.

Generations of my ancestors were slaughtered in and killed in WW2. My parents moved to this country without speaking English and with $500 and a 3 year old. Stop with the "oh poor me" train and get some training and a job and work for it.

You know what - your parents moved here without speaking English and with 500 dollars in there pocket, and were infinitely better shape than the millions of Black people here in America already. They had the gumption and hard working attitude to make it as immigrants and thats not easy. That is commendable.

However, at least they had a chance. No one told your parents to walk to the back of the building to use the shitty toilets which were never cleaned or the water fountains that didnt work. When your parents got on a bus to go somewhere, my grandmother would've had to get up out of her seat and stand so that your FATHER could sit. There was no supreme court (!) ruling stating that your father was worth 3/5ths of a human being. Your parents were allowed to vote. My Grandfather fought in the Pacific theater in WW2, came home and couldnt vote without risking his family being strung from a tree by the time he got home. Naturally, he didnt vote.

Trying to compare the two situations are... complicated. There isn't really a direct comparison. Millions of Jewish men, women children being gassed and burned alive is horrific. The holocaust is nothing to treat lightly. However this period of time is a drop in the bucket compared to the organized non-crime ring that slavery was.

Slavery and the 150 years of denigration following the actual slavery part isn't either. Many millions (largely undocumented because traders often fudged the numbers to skirt taxes) over the span of several hunderd years (around 1650 until about . They dont count the people who died in transit because they really couldnt be accounted for. They used to take a chained group of slaves above decks and have one walk the plank. Because theyre were chained together, 15-20 slaves would watch in horror as the one in front of them was dragged into the sea. Those who didnt die from drowning died from starvation or disease from being covered in their own shit with only 18-24 inches of space between each slave below decks.

Blacks, with some help from small groups of Chinese, Mexicans, and even a few Irish back when Irish were treated as badly and blacks, quite literally built the agricultural backbone on which the country still stands. Then they were free, and the south responded by turning their prisons into work camps, and creating fucked up laws created specifically to target blacks and use them as slave labor again, but this time as felons. Free blacks, who despite being free, had ZERO earthly belongings and no education, an no way to get either because it was still illegal to read in many states... They now "worked" as sharecroppers on their former master's land. Only now he charged them to stay in the old slave homes - intentionally more than what they could realistically yield, so now they actually OWED the guy money, and had to keep working there as a result.

Fast forward to now, Blacks make on average 68 cents to an equally qualified, educated white worker. IT is SLIGHTLY better in regards to its salaries but it still isnt dollar for dollar.

I know everyone here hates political correctness, but as far as I'm concerned, I can't trust the system to operate fairly for me. Do I run around mad at every white person I meet? Hell no, that's absurd. But the older I get, the more life experience I accrue, I have learned that racism and the power it holds over those at the wrong end, is very real, and very, very pervasive. If it takes unpoplular policy to correct it - than so be it. Used to be popular to bring your kids to watch the KKK hang black people from trees at one point too. If the system could be trusted to correct itself it would have fixed itself already. I do find it mildly amusing to listen to people who think affirmative action is like reverse racism or something... Lol, most of you have absolutely ZERO idea of what racism actually feels like to experience.

Youve never gone home shopping and had neighbors actually tell you they didnt think you would be a good fit for the neighborhood because of its quiet nature. Or have towns that your family tells you to avoid like the plague because they fear for your safety (looking at you Vidor, TX). Or have the cops called on you while you were jumping your car's dead battery in your own driveway. Or have your Amex draw the attention of security cards at the mall and get interrogated because they think you stole it. Or receive a loin cloth and a spear as a gift from a secret admirer at my job. I swear I wish I made this stuff up. I used to kinda relish the whole token thing when I was younger, but often its a joke made at your expense, its not really an endearing term at all.

Small companies hire the best people they can. Large corporations also do this, but then start looking at the race of it employees. The PC culture (liberals) needs to *feel good* about something - doesn't matter if it is logical or not.

Bottom line is: Affirmative action is nothing more than reverse discrimination.

You know what - your parents moved here without speaking English and with 500 dollars in there pocket, and were infinitely better shape than the millions of Black people here in America already. They had the gumption and hard working attitude to make it as immigrants and thats not easy. That is commendable.

However, at least they had a chance. No one told your parents to walk to the back of the building to use the shitty toilets which were never cleaned or the water fountains that didnt work. When your parents got on a bus to go somewhere, my grandmother would've had to get up out of her seat and stand so that your FATHER could sit. There was no supreme court (!) ruling stating that your father was worth 3/5ths of a human being. Your parents were allowed to vote. My Grandfather fought in the Pacific theater in WW2, came home and couldnt vote without risking his family being strung from a tree by the time he got home. Naturally, he didnt vote.

Trying to compare the two situations are... complicated. There isn't really a direct comparison. Millions of Jewish men, women children being gassed and burned alive is horrific. The holocaust is nothing to treat lightly. However this period of time is a drop in the bucket compared to the organized non-crime ring that slavery was.

Slavery and the 150 years of denigration following the actual slavery part isn't either. Many millions (largely undocumented because traders often fudged the numbers to skirt taxes) over the span of several hunderd years (around 1650 until about . They dont count the people who died in transit because they really couldnt be accounted for. They used to take a chained group of slaves above decks and have one walk the plank. Because theyre were chained together, 15-20 slaves would watch in horror as the one in front of them was dragged into the sea. Those who didnt die from drowning died from starvation or disease from being covered in their own shit with only 18-24 inches of space between each slave below decks.

Blacks, with some help from small groups of Chinese, Mexicans, and even a few Irish back when Irish were treated as badly and blacks, quite literally built the agricultural backbone on which the country still stands. Then they were free, and the south responded by turning their prisons into work camps, and creating fucked up laws created specifically to target blacks and use them as slave labor again, but this time as felons. Free blacks, who despite being free, had ZERO earthly belongings and no education, an no way to get either because it was still illegal to read in many states... They now "worked" as sharecroppers on their former master's land. Only now he charged them to stay in the old slave homes - intentionally more than what they could realistically yield, so now they actually OWED the guy money, and had to keep working there as a result.

Fast forward to now, Blacks make on average 68 cents to an equally qualified, educated white worker. IT is SLIGHTLY better in regards to its salaries but it still isnt dollar for dollar.

I know everyone here hates political correctness, but as far as I'm concerned, I can't trust the system to operate fairly for me. Do I run around mad at every white person I meet? Hell no, that's absurd. But the older I get, the more life experience I accrue, I have learned that racism and the power it holds over those at the wrong end, is very real, and very, very pervasive. If it takes unpoplular policy to correct it - than so be it. Used to be popular to bring your kids to watch the KKK hang black people from trees at one point too. If the system could be trusted to correct itself it would have fixed itself already. I do find it mildly amusing to listen to people who think affirmative action is like reverse racism or something... Lol, most of you have absolutely ZERO idea of what racism actually feels like to experience.

Youve never gone home shopping and had neighbors actually tell you they didnt think you would be a good fit for the neighborhood because of its quiet nature. Or have towns that your family tells you to avoid like the plague because they fear for your safety (looking at you Vidor, TX). Or have the cops called on you while you were jumping your car's dead battery in your own driveway. Or have your Amex draw the attention of security cards at the mall and get interrogated because they think you stole it. Or receive a loin cloth and a spear as a gift from a secret admirer at my job. I swear I wish I made this stuff up. I used to kinda relish the whole token thing when I was younger, but often its a joke made at your expense, its not really an endearing term at all.

All I hear is complaining from someone who wants a handout. While your grandmother was forced to give up her bus seat my grandfather was in Auschwitz. Some people do the best to move beyond their circumstance, others cry about it.

AA is a quota system, just ask the unions. If you ever go to a job site and see a black guy sitting around that is because he's untouchable and cannot be fired but if you are white and stand around you will be.

AA also goes against the entire premise of the bill of rights.

All men are created equal, BUT if you are a minority you can get a job you don't qualify for due to your skin color.

Yeah, that makes so much sense.

Not to mention the extra "help" on tests like +10 points which is flat out cheating, but legal cheating apparently.

This is why there have been lawsuits for police and fire because the tests are skewed for minorities.

Too dumb to pass the test then you are too dumb to do the job, simple as that.

All I hear is complaining from someone who wants a handout. While your grandmother was forced to give up her bus seat my grandfather was in Auschwitz. Some people do the best to move beyond their circumstance, others cry about it.

You think someone wants your money over a damned bus seat? LOL!

You seem to be doing a solid job of crying about it.

So its okay to remember the horror of Auchwitz, but not okay to remember the ravages of slavery, and the policies that affect my finanical and social interaction with my working peers?

Please dont mistake what I say for crying, because its not. You simply suffer from a lack of empathy. While your grandfather was in Auschwitz - My grandfather's brother swung from a tree from a small town outside of Dallas. His face was nearly unrecognizable because he was drowned first, then dragged behind the vehicle before being lynched at the final stop of his fucked up joyride. Meanwhile my grandfather fought in the war, and came home to less rights than the immigrants that fled to this country. When I palyed high school ball I once read a sign in the stands that read "Stacy loves ++++++ dick." (that was my girlfriend at the time.) We stopped dating after that because her dad didnt like the public perception. 50 years separate these incidents. FIFTY fucking years.

To this day - on average, I will average 68 cents to your dollar, despite equal level of school and work experience. Its still very much affecting me today, while your Jewishness (is that a word?) has little to no significant impact on your buyiing habits or earnings potential. But please, do continue to tell me that I should accept the shit sandwich America provides to people of non European descent.

I did "get up and work for it" - I graduated from college - the second in my family behind my older brother, my loans are paid off and I work hard as hell to provide for my family just like you do.

This stuff needs to change, man. Yes, there are black people who probably abuse AA the same way they are white people living off welfare. The abuse is not a sign of the system not working, its a sign of the systems inefficiency, which are two entirely different things.

look at the demographics of the state of washington where a lot of microsofts employee base is:
4% black, 7.9% Asian, 71% White, 12% hispanic/latino.

That's not even considering what the engineering/computer science degree demographics would look like (further tilted toward White and Asian). You kind of have to start from the qualified workforce for the company before whining about diversity.

So its okay to remember the horror of Auchwitz, but not okay to remember the ravages of slavery, and the policies that affect my finanical and social interaction with my working peers?

Exactly. Because slavery and Jim Crow were no big deal. Heck the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. It was about state's rights.

We had the displeasure of interviewing a candidate that had a terrible attitude, lackluster grades, and an unjustified overconfidence. Needless to say I put that one into the non-rec pile. This particular candidate happened to also be a black female. When the hire was made (happened to be a white male) a mysterious :rolleyes: discrimination complaint was filed. Guess who received a veiled threat to his PhD funding if such an incident ever happened again. Guess who also now has less than qualified lab assistant starting next month.

Sounds like a typical case of affirmative action. The overconfidence is a direct result of not having to work as hard as others and being promoted when they don't deserve it. Either she's learned how to work the system (the complaint) or there is someone higher up that is making sure she gets moved up.

Either way, it usually doesn't end well as others end up having to pick up the slack for the unqualified person.

I'm still waiting for affirmative action to be applied to sports teams. The fact that there are not many Asians in NBA must be due to discrimination.

And when generations of your ancestors had their lives impacted negatively because of the color of their skin likewise.

My family came to this country with nothing more than the cloths on their backs. They worked hard (starting on farms) and each generation moved up until I was able to grow up in a solid middle class household. I went to college, paid for by myself working full time, going to college full time, and sleeping part time. I then spent years working my way up in the IT industry.

I know I haven't been hired for some jobs because I didn't have a high enough degree from a fancy enough college. Yet, I've worked with people who did have these fancy degrees, and they didn't last long because they couldn't keep up.

Many other groups have been discriminated against over the years, but they are busy working to improve their lives instead of play the victim There is nobody looking for a job today that was a slave or even the grand child of a slave. It's time to put a stop to all this nonsense and do what Martin Luther King Jr. said in his speech:

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Please dont mistake what I say for crying, because its not. You simply suffer from a lack of empathy. While your grandfather was in Auschwitz - My grandfather's brother swung from a tree from a small town outside of Dallas. His face was nearly unrecognizable because he was drowned first, then dragged behind the vehicle before being lynched at the final stop of his fucked up joyride. Meanwhile my grandfather fought in the war, and came home to less rights than the immigrants that fled to this country. When I palyed high school ball I once read a sign in the stands that read "Stacy loves ++++++ dick." (that was my girlfriend at the time.) We stopped dating after that because her dad didnt like the public perception. 50 years separate these incidents. FIFTY fucking years.

To this day - on average, I will average 68 cents to your dollar, despite equal level of school and work experience. Its still very much affecting me today, while your Jewishness (is that a word?) has little to no significant impact on your buyiing habits or earnings potential. But please, do continue to tell me that I should accept the shit sandwich America provides to people of non European descent.

I did "get up and work for it" - I graduated from college - the second in my family behind my older brother, my loans are paid off and I work hard as hell to provide for my family just like you do.

This stuff needs to change, man. Yes, there are black people who probably abuse AA the same way they are white people living off welfare. The abuse is not a sign of the system not working, its a sign of the systems inefficiency, which are two entirely different things.

You should look up my people and see they were enslaved also. I guess it's OK though since Poland is part of Europe right?

Or have towns that your family tells you to avoid like the plague because they fear for your safety (looking at you Vidor, TX). Or have the cops called on you while you were jumping your car's dead battery in your own driveway. Or have your Amex draw the attention of security cards at the mall and get interrogated because they think you stole it. Or receive a loin cloth and a spear as a gift from a secret admirer at my job. I swear I wish I made this stuff up.

Yet there are some cities near Los Angeles that I wouldn't want to travel through at night, as they are not really save for white people. Even in some of the safer cities, if the police saw me driving down a city street at night I'd likely be stopped and search for drugs.
When I was younger, I had car dealer sales people ignore me because they didn't think I could afford a car, even though I had enough in the bank to pay cash.

Most people have had others discriminate against them for various reasons. It's a fact of life.
If someone doesn't treat you right, go somewhere else.

People think about this way too much, we know that blacks and Hispanics generally grew up in poorer houses, in the days of old when much of this workforce was formed these poorer houses could not afford a computer and did not have tech savvy parents. I know about this because I was poor too but the difference was my dad made sacrifices to get a computer because he thought they were important.

That's it, nothing more complicated. You cannot pull from a workforce of excited minority tech workers that does not exist.

I don't buy any of the other crap, we have had plenty of decades of affirmative action and help in many regards for any decently motivated person to get their shit together. Does racism exists, yes, is it stopping you from getting the job you tried, maybe is it stopping you from getting all jobs heck no. I believe the level of racism in the USA is as low as it will ever get if you cant thrive in this environment you cant do it anywhere. Trust me most countries are was more racist than us. And racism is human nature it will never, ever go away. The way you overcome racism is you out compete, all these racist white folks are hiring Asians no problem so what is anyone's excuse?

What states need hispanic IT workers please let me know I will move asap. :D

The Irish were treated far worse for a while in the USA as slaves etc. If you look back at history pretty much every region has undergone slavery and mass murder. So in short the fix is to pickup your gene pool and rise above the obstacles. It isn't about race but rather making something of yourself for your family.

Hiring / firing someone because of their race / sex is illegal anyway.

In theory yes but in some cases there are even quotas to meet. So you have to take in certain ethnicity even if nobody is qualified for the job.

Here, here.... You basically read my mind as I was formulating my post.

I am just waiting for the day (soon) when Blacks are the majority and how talking heads and pundits will spin that one.

Seattle is all Asian and White people. So I would expect a high number of the two groups to work at Microsoft.

In theory yes but in some cases there are even quotas to meet. So you have to take in certain ethnicity even if nobody is qualified for the job.

What quotas would that be? Certainly not ones set by law.

Maybe companies want to be diverse? Maybe it makes sense to hire more minorities if you aren't just selling to white people? Some of the people on this forum are delusional.

What needs to change is people need to stop crying for handouts because of their background and work for what they need. You also blatantly show you lack of knowledge of Europe, WW2, and communist Poland (btw, I'm not Jewish, nice assumption). The difference between you and I is simple. Both our ancestors suffered generations of abuse. You don't see my crying that the Germans or Russians owe me shit or that I should be given special advantages because generation of my family were abused and killed. I worked for what I have. You should try it.

I'd also like to see some data on that 68 cents figure because it sounds like bullshit. If that were true black unemployment would be near 0% as employers could get the same work and skill set for far less money and vastly increase profit.

Exactly. Because slavery and Jim Crow were no big deal. Heck the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. It was about state's rights.

No one said it's not a big deal. However there are many people who had been historically oppressed and you don't see them asking for special handouts and advantages.

The Irish were treated far worse for a while in the USA as slaves etc. If you look back at history pretty much every region has undergone slavery and mass murder. So in short the fix is to pickup your gene pool and rise above the obstacles. It isn't about race but rather making something of yourself for your family.

Exactly. You can spend time complaining about the hand you're dealt, or work on improving it. Race or gender doesn't matter. Take the best person for the job.

My pointing out historically supported points about the post slavery conditions is not crying and asking for a damned handout. Its simply knowing what time it is in relation to where I and my family sit at the table of conversation regarding race in this country. Contrary to what many tell you, racism is not dead. It requires me to not be silent, because it can't be viewed as history when it affects me and people like me - today. You say its as simple as picking yourself up and bettering yourself, but its just not that simple.

The hand of cards NEEDS to be complained about - because the fucking deck is stacked. Give me new set of cards in which blacks dont have 350 or so years of being classified as either non-human or second class citizens, not allowed to own businesses or farmland with with to establish wealth, or even allowed to read or count, and wipe out all the racist laws that sprung up post slavery, put a stop to the gerrymandering strategies and gentrification of neighborhoods that railroad families into worse and worse areas by pricing them out of their own damn homes. Has anyone been to Brooklyn lately?

Or how bout reinvesting money into the poverty stricken areas so that the schools their children attend might actually do a decent job of preparing them for college? Instead of these shoestring budgets that turn high schools into large babysitting pens with little to no supervision and no incentive so see the children do better for themselves. There are loads of black parents (two of them, together) who want nothing more than to move their family to a nicer area to escape the trap of low income, poor school areas, they work just as hard as any other family trying to make it by - and they rewarded with
ItTGpFT.jpg

Its not some sordid tale of intrigue and sorrow that was buried under wave of goodwill and sympathy following the clinton apology and should now be left as a footnote.

Regarding what you claim to be bullshit -

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/21/news/economy/black-white-inequality/

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-income-gap-between-blacks-and-whites-2013-8

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/news/2012/03/13/11351/the-top-10-most-startling-facts-about-people-of-color-and-criminal-justice-in-the-united-states/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesleadershipforum/2012/12/10/how-home-ownership-keeps-blacks-poorer-than-whites/

The only people who think that race doesnt matter, are those who arent inconvenienced with living with dark skin.

Not a single link you posted has any data that shows blacks get 68 cents on the dollar for the same work with the same experience and qualifications.

Your complaint about housing costs further shows you just wish someone to make it easy for you. I live in Boston which is one of the pricier areas in the nation. I bought my home by working hard not complaining that it cost too much.

Once again, work hard, get an education, make money, instead of complaining how the man keeps you down. Also, rioting and burning down your own neighborhoods doesn't help.

No matter the transgressions, historical or present, of "evil whitey" in the United States, no group is more responsible for the continued inequality of African Americans than.....African Americans.

Back