Microsoft Releases 248GB Patch for Gears of War 4 on Windows 10 PC

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Can someone tell me why this is allowed? It's got to be a bug, right? I still remember being pissed about the base game being 74GB—now, Gears of War 4 is reportedly making you download more than triple that with a 248GB patch. (Okay, I still haven't gotten it to show up on my end, so I guess I jumped the gun with this. But it may not be a bad idea to keep an eye out on your Windows Store queue, just in case...)

Microsoft’s screw-ups with the Windows 10 Store are well documented, yet few have made me chuckle quite as much as Microsoft pushing an absolutely ginormous 250GB update for Gears of War 4. This comes via NeoGAFer “Gowans,” who booted up the Windows Store to find it was already 147.6GB through its 248.5GB patching process. I can only assume this is one huge error on Microsoft’s part as the base game is "only" around 50GB. Something has gone seriously wrong here for a 248.5GB update to be burning down the pipes. A word of warning then if your ISP happens to have a cap on download limits - check the Windows 10 Store and make sure the largest patch of all time isn't downloading in the background.

Last edited:
Hmm... So no one apparently let the download finish and see if the game still works or not? Browsed through the install folder to see where the space went? I definitely love reporting with no information.

I got a 20GB patch like a week ago. Wonder if that's the same one?

You just might be getting a surprise with that large of an update. Better put in for a restore point or a bkup image. :)

It took me over 300 GB to download that game when I bought it. Kept getting the very common error where it would hit some random percent (mine was 80 some) and fail, dump it all and restart. Took days to get that game installed. Good thing I don't have caps. I just had to uninstall my gears 1 from my SSD because it was taking up over 150 GB of space on a 250 GB drive. Those windows store games are not afraid to tear through resources. Really need to reign in on that.

150 GB for a game. I mean, it would be OK for just one very pretty game, but when all of them are that big it gets a bit crazy

I think it was around 80 GB after first install (gears 1 that is), not sure how it got to 150 but I was wondering what the hell was taking up what I thought was like 70 GB free space lol. All the updates and everything are background tho so unless you are looking for it you won't find it going on

Isn't everyone stateside oh so glad that net neutrality is being peeled back further and further and bandwidth caps are becoming more common under the guise that almost nobody exceeds some arbitrarily small amount of bandwidth each month?

For more fun, think of the people who have this game set to download in the background, and the computer is tethered to a cell phone for its internet connection!

Someone tell me this isn't an incremental patch and it's something else...

I LOVE Gears of War 4 but I'm stretching the limits of my lowly 500gb SSD already. I don't need this game and Windows to take up 80% of my disk space.

It's bad enough I got the hi-res texture DLC for Fallout 4 that added an extra 54gb to the game...

Someone tell me this isn't an incremental patch and it's something else...

I LOVE Gears of War 4 but I'm stretching the limits of my lowly 500gb SSD already. I don't need this game and Windows to take up 80% of my disk space.

It's bad enough I got the hi-res texture DLC for Fallout 4 that added an extra 54gb to the game...

I think as of this week, GOW4 is taking up about 70 or so, I don't recall exactly but it wasn't as big as gears 1, but I think gears 1 was F'n up hard

Can someone tell me why this is allowed? It's got to be a bug, right? I still remember being pissed about the base game being 74GB—now, Gears of War 4 is reportedly making you download more than triple that with a 248GB patch. (Okay, I still haven't gotten it to show up on my end, so I guess I jumped the gun with this. But it may not be a bad idea to keep an eye out on your Windows Store queue, just in case...)

Microsoft’s screw-ups with the Windows 10 Store are well documented, yet few have made me chuckle quite as much as Microsoft pushing an absolutely ginormous 250GB update for Gears of War 4. This comes via NeoGAFer “Gowans,” who booted up the Windows Store to find it was already 147.6GB through its 248.5GB patching process. I can only assume this is one huge error on Microsoft’s part as the base game is "only" around 50GB. Something has gone seriously wrong here for a 248.5GB update to be burning down the pipes. A word of warning then if your ISP happens to have a cap on download limits - check the Windows 10 Store and make sure the largest patch of all time isn't downloading in the background.

I completely forgot to ask in my post above, how large do you think the High Resolution texture pack is going to be?

I'll never forget the time suck that was the Gears 1 install. It took more than an hour off of the disk. That's still the longest game install I've ever experienced.

248GB patch? My god, that's an entire operating system with multiple games installed along with a shitload more, GTFO. :D

I think the largest game on my PC is around 4,5 gb. Kathy Rain from last year is like 500 megabytes. Shows I don't play much, and certainly not modern AAAs

"only 100GB" motherfucker what? there is no reason for this!

Heh, this is [H], no need to bother with facts.

From the thread the Base game was 74GB, and it sounds like there is an update. But either it's not patching it in right or his base install is corrupted. So it sounds like the game is just re-downloading itself from scratch now. I would agree that the sizes of this are very large, and it sounds like the store doesn't do a great job of trying to fix what's broken either. Someone else stated their install folder is in fact 100GB, so if you want the game then guess what... You're downloading 100GB to get it now.

And the person who this whole debacle started from basically said he's running insider builds of Windows, so it's not even a stable branch to begin with. Once again this is just lazy journalism to get some clicks.

I really hope it's just a uncompressed 8k video of Never Gonna Give You Up

Yea, I love that song, too! It was the tits when I was in middle school!

Has to be a bug. In the rush to be "FIRST!" with the news, they didn't verify anything, see what was in the large patch, or get any data other than size...

i wonder whats in all those gigaBs

Ditto, this is just nuts! Probably just everything uncompressed for consoles and bad port as usual. I think main game is 80GB which is huge especially considering it doesn't look that great in texture department (at least based on what I can see in videos and screenshots online).

If games keep becoming so apocalyptically large, they might as well return to physical media at least for the initial install. I wouldn't mind using a usb stick to install games if it meant saving all my bandwidth.

Ive used well over a terabyte even trying to install Gears of War 4 so far. I think i've given up. The first time I tried to install it, I came home to a 160gb of 96gb downloaded and it showed no sign of slowing down. Every time after that, it gets to about 60gb, then blue screens, reboots, starts the download over again. One evening it used over 500gb in this manner while I slept.

Theres fixes out there, I had the same, problem, don't remember exactly what I did now but I found it from googling (is that a thing yet?) and was eventually able to get it to work on my end. I don't remember what it was but I was able to get out of that loophole, it was hundreds of GB later tho lol

Isn't everyone stateside oh so glad that net neutrality is being peeled back further and further and bandwidth caps are becoming more common under the guise that almost nobody exceeds some arbitrarily small amount of bandwidth each month?

For more fun, think of the people who have this game set to download in the background, and the computer is tethered to a cell phone for its internet connection!
Net neutrality doesn't protect against bandwidth caps unless the bandwidth caps are unequally applied to different data.

Microsoft doing its windows store reputation as a broken and mismanaged disaster no favors.

Have they even heard of delta updating?

Last edited:
Back