Microsoft reaffirms commitment to PC gaming (redux 2019)

MS has done alright since announcing their Games Anywhere program. Not every PC release has been great, but they have been releasing all of their 1st party titles on the PC and Game Pass includes PC titles as well. The big problem is that MS simply lacks a lot of 1st party titles and most of the ones they've put out recently (outside of Forza) just haven't been great. MS has kept to their word regarding the PC, for now at least.

MS has done alright since announcing their Games Anywhere program. Not every PC release has been great, but they have been releasing all of their 1st party titles on the PC and Game Pass includes PC titles as well. The big problem is that MS simply lacks a lot of 1st party titles and most of the ones they've put out recently (outside of Forza) just haven't been great. MS has kept to their word regarding the PC, for now at least.

And all their releases are only available on their utterly hot garbage store front, so releasing their mediocre console ports on PC really doesn't amount to much.

They still havent got it right.
Games Anywhere is the opposite of what they have given us.

I'm not a fan of the ms store. Forza doesn't work with sli anyway so I said screw it from the MS store launch. Dirt games (from steam, etc) do work with sli including dirt rally and even the just released dirt rally 2.0 works with sli (dirt 2.0 just released requires a simple workaround).

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1100234/dirt-rally-2-0-sli/?offset=4
Download nvidia profile inspector. Execute the program. In the search box fill in Dirt 3. Take a screenshot of all the settings. Then fill in in the search box Dirt Rally 2. Then open the sreenshot you made from the Dirt 3 settings. Then change all the settings that are different till its the same as in the Dirt 3 settings. Then apply changes. Works for me on 4 x GTX 980's. Dirt 3, Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 have the same engine as Dirt Rally 2.0.

I'm not sure ms store supports multi gpu at all. There was some issues early on even with tomb raider's SLI (2017 article)
". Yet, why was this not available in Rise of the Tomb Raider in the Windows store, while it was available on the Steam release?
Read more at The Outerhaven: Steam or Windows Store, Which Do You Prefer for PC Gaming? https://www.theouterhaven.net/?p=88475"

Considering all the cons of the windows store, how many games I have on steam and all of steam's features, and the fact that I've been running sli happily for the last several years on most of my favorite titles, and the fact that both forza and ms store(even on sli capable titles!) didn't give me any support I won't support them. I have more than enough games from steam and humble bundle, etc.. so I don't need to pander to fencing in exclusives.

https://www.
reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/alouny/steam_compared_to_other_services/

rI8mN11.jpg

Last edited:
E3 2019 will show us how serious MS is about PC gaming. It'd be really great if it's Xbox release parity with the PC (which they seem to be embracing). And with XBox receiving official KB+M support, I think it's time for traditional PC titles (Age of Empires, Flight Simulator) with traditional PC controls come to Xbox. If MS could work out a deal to bring WoW to their Xbox platform, that'd be huge.

I agree that MS 1st party exclusives has been hot trash this generation, but they've made a lot of acquisitions and I'm thinking we should see early previews of those games this E3 (though probably release dates in the 2020+ range).

I'm also liking them bringing their Xbox streaming service to Switch (if the rumours pan out). I wonder if the 'stream-only Xbox' rumour is only partially true - there will be a streamer console but will there also be an app to make everything a potential streamer?

Anyhow, I think this is MS' chance to get back to the top, or at least closer to Sony. Sony's found great success this generation, but I reckon that success has made them lazy like the PS2-PS3 transition.

And all their releases are only available on their utterly hot garbage store front, so releasing their mediocre console ports on PC really doesn't amount to much.

The MS Store is garbage, but I have a feeling that decision is out of the Xbox division's hands.

Team up with Valve make games like Half Life 3 and Left for Dead 3. Make X-Box launcher not suck I mean what is this thing?

I'm not a fan of the ms store. Forza doesn't work with sli anyway so I said screw it from the MS store launch. Dirt games (from steam, etc) do work with sli including dirt rally and even the just released dirt rally 2.0 works with sli (dirt 2.0 just released requires a simple workaround).

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1100234/dirt-rally-2-0-sli/?offset=4

I'm not sure ms store supports multi gpu at all. There was some issues early on even with tomb raider's SLI (2017 article)
". Yet, why was this not available in Rise of the Tomb Raider in the Windows store, while it was available on the Steam release?
Read more at The Outerhaven: Steam or Windows Store, Which Do You Prefer for PC Gaming? https://www.theouterhaven.net/?p=88475"

Considering all the cons of the windows store, how many games I have on steam and all of steam's features, and the fact that I've been running sli happily for the last several years on most of my favorite titles, and the fact that both forza and ms store(even on sli capable titles!) didn't give me any support I won't support them. I have more than enough games from steam and humble bundle, etc.. so I don't need to pander to fencing in exclusives.

View attachment 144805
SLI support has nothing to do with UWP and the Windows Store. It comes down to developer support in their respective games. Rise of the Tomb Raider and the DiRT games are made by completely different developers.

I am still waiting on them to fix Gears of War Ultimate that one of the Windows updates fucked up. Ever since that update the game will not properly utilize the gpu and cant even maintain much over 40 fps in some spots even on low at 720p. It does it on both AMD and Nvidia gpus and drivers have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
I am still waiting on them to fix Gears of War Ultimate that one of the Windows updates fucked up. Ever since that update the game will not properly utilize the gpu and cant even maintain much over 40 fps in some spots even on low at 720p. It does it on both AMD and Nvidia gpus and drivers have nothing to do with it.

Is that the one that's a 130GB download, and if anything goes wrong during the download - or the windows store update just messes up - it downloads the entire thing again? Or am I thinking of GOW4?

It's hard to get motivated to buy or download anything from the w10 store.

Is that the one that's a 130GB download, and if anything goes wrong during the download - or the windows store update just messes up - it downloads the entire thing again? Or am I thinking of GOW4?

It's hard to get motivated to buy or download anything from the w10 store.
You are thinking of Gears 4 which was a massive mess at launch for many as it kept restarting the download over and over and it took days to fix. That game has also gotten screwed up from Windows updates too and one of those times it required the entire game to be re downloaded. Even Quantum Break had issues with one of the Windows updates and has stuttered ever since for me.

SLI support has nothing to do with UWP and the Windows Store. It comes down to developer support in their respective games. Rise of the Tomb Raider and the DiRT games are made by completely different developers.

You misunderstood or perhaps I wan't clear in why I referenced dirt games. I mentioned dirt and dirt rally and the just released dirt rally 2.0 as a comparison as they are AAA driving games that work with sli (and steam) which I can play instead of bothering playing forza or being forced into using the ms store to so.

I was mainly talking about this (below) with the microsoft store back then which included the glaring example of rise of the tomb raider supporting sli on steam and not on the ms store:

-------------------
https://www.howtogeek.com/243012/wh...er-and-other-pc-games-from-the-windows-store/
"
  • No SLI or CrossFire: If you have multiple NVIDIA or AMD graphics cards using SLI or CrossFire, the Windows Store version won’t be good for you. It doesn’t support SLI or CrossFire, although the Steam version does.
  • VSync is Always On: VSync is designed to eliminate screen tearing, but it can have downsides–like adding input lag, or decreasing game performance. If you have the Steam version, you can choose whether or not you want to use VSync. On the Windows Store version, it’s always enabled.
  • Always Borderless Fullscreen Mode: The Store version will always run in “borderless fullscreen” mode, also known as “fullscreen (windowed)” mode. This ensures Alt+Tab will work properly and the game won’t take over your entire display. However, it means the game can’t have exclusive access to your graphics card, so you can’t get the best possible performance. The Steam version gives you the option of using exclusive fullscreen mode.
Windows Store apps are also more locked down, so other processes on the system can’t interfere with them and their files can’t be modified. This leads to a few more problems:

• Sorry, No Modding: Windows Store apps are protected, so this means modding–one of the mainstays of PC gaming–just isn’t possible. The game’s running process is protected so applications like SweetFX can’t be used to modify its graphics.
  • No .exe File (and No Steam Controller): You can’t launch the game directly as an .exe file. This means you can’t add it to Steam, for example, and that means you can’t use a Steam controller with it.
  • No Overlays: You also can’t use overlays or any other software with the game. You can’t get a Steam overlay or any other type of overlay. Software like Fraps for recording your screen and tracking your framerate won’t work, either.
  • Mouse Macros Won’t Work: Mouse utilities that allow you to create custom macros for specific games won’t work with the Windows Store version of the game.
"
---------------------------------------------------------

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...saddles-pc-games-with-significant-limitations

"
  • Only run on Windows 10
  • Cannot be managed by Steam
  • No SLI / Crossfire support
  • No refund policy
  • Use borderless full screen with a refresh rate lock synchronized to your display rate (the lock has been reported as 60Hz, because that’s the maximum refresh rate on many displays)
  • Protected game files can hinder modding (this will vary depending on the structure of the title)
In addition, there are mouse and key binding issues, as well as the fact that you can’t override in-game settings with Nvidia’s Control Panel or AMD’s Catalyst Control Center, according to Ars Technica.
"
----------------------------------------------------

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-store-issues-with-sli-crossfire-and-vsync/
" one of the developers of Rise of the Tomb Raider has been quoted as saying that graphics control panels are unusable for custom in-game settings, as they push settings through the .exe, which the Windows Store does not utilize."

------------------------------------------------

.. So that sounds more like semantics. It worked along with a lot of other features on steam and not on ms store purchased versions of the same games.

Back