Microsoft Re-Releases The IntelliMouse

Finally, I have not found any other mouse I like as much as this one.

EDIT: Nm this is the shitty version not the one with the back and forward buttons on the side like I was expecting. Bummer.

I have it. Mine has a blue backlight instead of the old red.
I dont recommend the mouse. The side rubber starts peeling after being in contact with your thumb.

The new microsoft surface precision mouse is much better and is shaped VERY closely to the Logitech G5, which is the best mouse ever made. The side rubber is a much higher quality. It still feels new.

mice2.jpg

mice 1.jpg

In an announcement today on the Windows Blog, Microsoft is bringing back the Classic IntelliMouse. Originally launched in 1996, this new version is based upon the 2003 IntelliMouse, which was the last model in the lineup. To go along with the announcement, Microsoft has released a fantastic Rube Goldberg machine video unveiling the mouse.

Check out the video.

I'm a sucker for Rube Goldberg machines, the video reminds me of the Honda "Cog" ad from 2003. Hopefully this one went the same route and used no CGI. Oh right the mouse. Looks like an intellimouse. Shame it doesn't appear to have DPI adjustment or any mention of some macro software to go with it.

We improved two really important factors, the tracking sensor and the tactility and feel of the buttons. What we know our fans will see and feel is that it’s the exact same shape and size of the IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 from 2003. However, underneath the hood it’s all brand-new technology, brand new mechanical engineering and brand-new structures so it’s a lot more rigid than the original. The build quality is really excellent.

We were really careful to keep the same Omron switches for the left and right click, and have added three Kailh switches for the middle wheel button and side buttons. We also made a huge improvement to the two side buttons. They now feel snappy and crisp and have just the right force and click to them.

I used a white one for many many years until finally switching to a Logitech Performance MX. I still have my white Intellimouse as backup though, it's actually a very good mouse even though it isn't even laser.

Months ago I heard the sensor was going to be janky, Then Retronym posted about the build quality. What a disappointment, I would have loved to own another IME. Microfail.

I have it. Mine has a blue backlight instead of the old red.
I dont recommend the mouse. The side rubber starts peeling after being in contact with your thumb.

View attachment 84781
That's what you get when you put someone in charge that only cares about quick money now.
Companies should stop putting accountants in charge.

I forgot to mention, I have another new intellimouse at home with the same problem.

So it wasn't just a bad unit.

Day one purchase if its as light as the original.

Light weight has always been a huge factor for me. Whenever I buy logitech mouses with all the goofy weights they come with, I just throw out the weights, take out the internal weight tray and toss that too. Unless you want some mmorpg tank of a mouse, I just never understood why they didn't make them as light as humanly possible.

The only thing I've never complained about with Microsoft are the hardware purchases. The mouse and the Precision Pro joystick have been amazingly durable and work after 15+ years of punishment (which is unheard of with joysticks).

I've broken 5 of their ergonomic keyboards so YRMV

Have you tried out Corsair M65? Mine reminds me of the sidewinder but feels like it's made of cast iron.

I've got a M65 and it's not even close to the original Sidewinder Gaming mouse (with the weights)

I hope they revive the Sidewinder gaming series.

I gamed on Sidewinders for almost a decade until my last one died two years ago. And Corsairs are a poor successor. I wish MSFT would get that- there are people that would be excited for Sidewinder to return just like Intellimouse.

Microsoft needs to bring back this mouse-
url

The Sidewinder Gaming mouse. I, too, used mine for close to 10 years, until they died. The best and most comfortable mouse for me, ever.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw1IQjdxEharJszxBzkA-FQD&ust=1530282311152055

I loved that mouse but at $40 they get to keep them

pretty sure it's just going to marketed to businesses and institutions where the people spending the money on them is not coming out of their own pocket and just go with "no-one ever got fired for buying [brand name]"

Is this a re-release of the new Intlellimouse that's more gaming focused?

I thought last year's mouse had a bad sensor that tracked badly with fast movements.

can they re-release the intellimouse optical, ambidextrous?

I have like 8 of them, but most, I think, at chinese knockoffs. Its the only mouse I have been able to use and been using them since like 2000-2001. Being a southpaw sucks for mouse selection. Still have one in the retail package I bought probably in 2002 and still have at least 2 kicking around that are at least 10+ years old.

View attachment 84717

I used an optical for 12 years until the sensor just couldn't track perfect anymore. It would still work fine for non-gaming use. If MS brought this mouse back it would be a day one purchase for me. The closest mouse I could find to the optical was the Steelseries kana, but they don't make it anymore.

Mmmm, I'd really like another one of these. I left my first one on the workbench in the very hot sun and some form of sticky goo leaked all over the scroll wheel that I could never fully clean off.

I bought a Zowie specifically because it was like the old MS mouse.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good wireless mouse that *doesn't* have any rubber on it? I've used several Logitech mice the last several years, and while I enjoy the feel, the rubber always ends up wearing down or turning into a grody, sticky mess.

I thought this was great when i read it. But then i quickly recalled the one upgrade they should have given this mouse. And actual 3rd mouse button instead of a fucked up wheel.

So when it comes to two button mice.. this was my fav until 3DConnexion released and actual three button mouse. Now the IM can diaf. Give it 3 buttons and change the material on the buttons to something that doestn wear off and go crappy and change the buttons internal design so we can user service the buttons when they fuck up. And THEN it'll be the best mouse. Untill then... i'll continue to buy THESE for daily driver and work.

But i still have about 6 or so of these laying around from wearing out buttons. They were my fav 2 button mouse but only becuase company's stopped making 3 button ones. Which IMO i thought was a ridiculous step backwards

I have like 8 of them, but most, I think, at chinese knockoffs. Its the only mouse I have been able to use and been using them since like 2000-2001. Being a southpaw sucks for mouse selection. Still have one in the retail package I bought probably in 2002 and still have at least 2 kicking around that are at least 10+ years old.

View attachment 84717
God I wish. The DPI on those is just too low for modern displays now. It had a great shape and feel. I'd buy a re-release in a heartbeat.

I loved that mouse but at $40 they get to keep them
I have a difficult time understanding people who refuse to pay for things that make their activities so much easier and often, more enjoyable. Is this some kind of self hate, or self punishment? I mean, we spend many hundreds (often thousands) on our rigs, but $40 is too much for a mouse that we will use every day for years?

That said, I'm still using my microsoft 'thumby' trackball, and have three extras in case they never make them again. This will last me until everything is voice activated.

My OG 1996 intelimouse explorer burned up in a house fire last weekend I had given it to my nephew and his whole system went up in flames along with the whole office.

View attachment 84717

Mah first Optical mouse! Made me god like in Call of Duty 4 back in the day. Before I had the IntelliMouse. I had a IBM branded mouse with the trackball. You know how hard it was to play COD4 and you can only look up or left , or what ever direction cause one of the mouse ball wheel axle is covered in fuzz from the mouse pad. I had to stop every few hours just to clean the wheel axle lol

My OG 1996 intelimouse explorer burned up in a house fire last weekend I had given it to my nephew and his whole system went up in flames along with the whole office.

:( Sorry to hear that, I hope no one was actually hurt in the process, and I mean physically as emotional suffering and the loss of the home/items will be pretty devastating as well.

My first optical mouse was the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. That thing was awesome. Served me well for many years. It looked cool too, for the time. Always really liked how the entire underside was translucent red. I still got it around here somewhere, I'm pretty sure.
81ZPVNR1KRL._AC_UL320_SR316,320_.jpg

I still use an MS Wireless Optical Mouse from about 2002, and it's still trucking. I've not found a suitable replacement yet (I love that it's ambidextrous) so when it eventually expires I'm going to cry.

Razer should re release the Boomslang, mouse ball and all!

Back