Microsoft Re-Releases The IntelliMouse

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In an announcement today on the Windows Blog, Microsoft is bringing back the Classic IntelliMouse. Originally launched in 1996, this new version is based upon the 2003 IntelliMouse, which was the last model in the lineup. To go along with the announcement, Microsoft has released a fantastic Rube Goldberg machine video unveiling the mouse.

Check out the video.

I'm a sucker for Rube Goldberg machines, the video reminds me of the Honda "Cog" ad from 2003. Hopefully this one went the same route and used no CGI. Oh right the mouse. Looks like an intellimouse. Shame it doesn't appear to have DPI adjustment or any mention of some macro software to go with it.

We improved two really important factors, the tracking sensor and the tactility and feel of the buttons. What we know our fans will see and feel is that it’s the exact same shape and size of the IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 from 2003. However, underneath the hood it’s all brand-new technology, brand new mechanical engineering and brand-new structures so it’s a lot more rigid than the original. The build quality is really excellent.

We were really careful to keep the same Omron switches for the left and right click, and have added three Kailh switches for the middle wheel button and side buttons. We also made a huge improvement to the two side buttons. They now feel snappy and crisp and have just the right force and click to them.

cool finally! i like this mouse and the last one I had i spilled soda on it and it broke.

I used them for years, was always my favorite mouse back in the day.

I'm guessing they'll be trying to market them for gamers at a steep price though. I still have a few old ones laying around I could just break out anyway :p

edit: inb4 it has some Windows 10 only functionality like my xbone controller, mayhaps they'll lock that DPI at 6 bajillion until you correct it with windows 10 :D

Hopefully this will be popular enough for MS to also rerelease their beefy Siderwinder mice. Really miss mine. :-(

Have you tried out Corsair M65? Mine reminds me of the sidewinder but feels like it's made of cast iron. I enjoy it quite a bit.

When do I start getting checks for promoting Corsair? Jkkkkk

I can't stand anything besides Logitech's Performance MX and lately MX Master 2S. My house is filled with those as I am passing them to other family members after 2-3 years of use.

Maybe my hands are a really good fit to those mice.

I can't stand anything besides Logitech's Performance MX and lately MX Master 2S. My house is filled with those as I am passing them to other family members after 2-3 years of use.

Maybe my hands are a really good fit to those mice.
My users are split on the MX Masters, and the Microsoft Sculpts, Admin assistants love the sculpts and the excel wizards like the MX Masters.

Logitech needs to do this for the G5

Still rocking mine and still have the weights ^^ it has went to war thought and most of the paint is now gone...
I looked around but mouse choice are weird now... anyway

I am using one right now at work. It's got to be 10 years old.
Me too

I’m buying one to replace the one at work. It’s my favorite feel mouse.

But the Logitech hero/lightning sensor wireless mice are now the staple at my gaming station.

I've got one I don't use, I use and prefer the Wheel Mouse Optical which is slightly smaller.

can they re-release the intellimouse optical, ambidextrous?

I have like 8 of them, but most, I think, at chinese knockoffs. Its the only mouse I have been able to use and been using them since like 2000-2001. Being a southpaw sucks for mouse selection. Still have one in the retail package I bought probably in 2002 and still have at least 2 kicking around that are at least 10+ years old.

41FAS985MFL._SX425_.jpg

I'm still using the Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000...before that I had several Intellimouse...I've always thought they felt best in my hand and the side mouse buttons were always placed well near the top...good to see they're back!

Re: the IMO related post above by Bigbacon

I've been using an IMO going on 14+ years now, still rock solid, I disassemble it twice a year to clean out the gunk but it's never had issues and I can imagine using those newer mice that have the two buttons on one side, the hell with that. I'm right handed so that's a given but even so, the design of the Intellimouse Optical is just more natural to me to have the side buttons discretely on each side of the mouse body, can't handle those with both buttons on the one side. It's also obviously superior for left handed persons as well since a simple control switches the functionality of the buttons as required if necessary.

Best mouse I've ever owned and used, and I really wish I had a few spares at this point. I look at eBay now and again and laugh at how much money some people ask for the IMO "brand new in the box" as they can be $90+, it's insane. :)

I scope out thrift stores whenever I can hoping to find one someplace, Mom & Pop computer shops with clearance and bargain bins, that sort of thing.

I honestly wouldn't want any other mouse, so I would love to see Microsoft make a new one with more current hardware. I use the SweetLow custom mouse driver to get 4000 Hz sampling rate and it made a huge difference in how the IMO "feels" in daily use, as well.

Still rocking mine and still have the weights ^^ it has went to war thought and most of the paint is now gone...
I looked around but mouse choice are weird now... anyway
Yeah, the KBM industry really pioneered the way for the obnoxious RGB shitstorm we have everywhere now

I had a G5 and snagged a G500 to replace it but if it ever goes not sure what I'll do

Re: the IMO related post above by Bigbacon

I've been using an IMO going on 14+ years now, still rock solid, I disassemble it twice a year to clean out the gunk but it's never had issues and I can imagine using those newer mice that have the two buttons on one side, the hell with that. I'm right handed so that's a given but even so, the design of the Intellimouse Optical is just more natural to me to have the side buttons discretely on each side of the mouse body, can't handle those with both buttons on the one side. It's also obviously superior for left handed persons as well since a simple control switches the functionality of the buttons as required if necessary.

Best mouse I've ever owned and used, and I really wish I had a few spares at this point. I look at eBay now and again and laugh at how much money some people ask for the IMO "brand new in the box" as they can be $90+, it's insane. :)

I scope out thrift stores whenever I can hoping to find one someplace, Mom & Pop computer shops with clearance and bargain bins, that sort of thing.

I honestly wouldn't want any other mouse, so I would love to see Microsoft make a new one with more current hardware. I use the SweetLow custom mouse driver to get 4000 Hz sampling rate and it made a huge difference in how the IMO "feels" in daily use, as well.

I bought most of mine on ebay. they pop up in big lots from china for like 29.99 a lot. They seriously look legit. I can't tell the difference between an original I have and one of the china one. The ONLY thing that seems to show that it is iffy to me is the mouse wheel. The clicky nature of the real ones is sspot on. So far the china ones the wheel is iffy and after a while it sort of scrolls by itself without me really touching it. VERY annoying in games I start switching weapons and what not. I also not sure if they are "new" either as some have come looking like they were lightly used but oh well. I will keep stocking up on them when I see them.

Where do you get that driver? I would love to see the difference.

Day one purchase if its as light as the original.
Here is mine still used only when I need an extra mouse to connect to all the crap I run :D.
20180627_210615.jpg

Best mouse ever, my old packard bell pentium 1. I used that thing for 10 years till it finally died.

I think the best part was it weight so much, believe it or not i dominated OG counterstrike with it, it was so easy to aim with all that weight. Then i got RSI (big surprise)

Where do you get that driver? I would love to see the difference.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mice/1589644-usb-mouse-hard-overclocking-2000-hz.html

Pay close attention to the instructions, even though there is a 4000 setting (it actually says "4000" in the drop down selection menu) that is not the setting you want, you want to select 62 from the list. It's weird, yes, but it works. I tried the 2000 setting (which is 31 on the list) and got severe lag for some reason I could never figure out, but the 62 aka 4000 Hz setting, it's like a new mouse and I had to re-adjust my own timing to account for the change in the feel of using the IMO.

Still, it's just a nice little thing to add that much more benefit to the amazing IMO so it was awesome to discover it.

I'm sold on my Razer Deathadder elite I tried everthing trust me I have a few Logitech mice Pro, Proteus, and Chaos Spectrum G500 I'll use one of those if I ever play a good MMO which needs extra buttons.

The Intellimouse and the Logitech MX510 ruled the desktop back in the day. I am glad to see it back. I currently have a Logitech G402 which is pretty good.

Day one purchase if its as light as the original.
Here is mine still used only when I need an extra mouse to connect to all the crap I run :D.
View attachment 84721

I have a bunch of these in the IT stock at work...things must be 10-15 years old, but every one of them still works perfectly.

If Microsoft would rerelease it exactly as that with a few minor updates (dpi select, two thumb navigation buttons, bigger glide pads, and all black), then it would be my perfect mouse to replace my 99% perfect Logitech G500.

can they re-release the intellimouse optical, ambidextrous?

I have like 8 of them, but most, I think, at chinese knockoffs. Its the only mouse I have been able to use and been using them since like 2000-2001. Being a southpaw sucks for mouse selection. Still have one in the retail package I bought probably in 2002 and still have at least 2 kicking around that are at least 10+ years old.

View attachment 84717

I wore out one of those playing Diablo2. Ahh, the memories and carpal pain.

$40? Seems a little much for what it is. Riding the nostalgia gravy train again. Maybe $25-30...

I wonder if Logitech picked up the contract for this again. Who ever did, it would be a very lucrative contract. Hats of to them.

Kensington was the supplier for all the original Intelli-mice that Microsoft sold branded with their name on them, from the very first one so long ago - the first actually useful wheelmouse with that heavy steel transmission bearing rubbered coated ball in it, loved that damned mouse to death - to the last ones they made years ago. I don't know who's making this reboot of the Intellimouse 3.0 but it's probably Kensington once again, perhaps we'll find out soon.

I wish they would bring back the original Arc mouse travel mouse. The one that folded and held the USB receiver in the part that folded. Incredibly compact, great feel and the wheel actually works unlike the !*#$% touch bar thing on the current Arc mouse - that doesn't even fold - just flattens. Grr...

The other piece of early 2000's MS input tech I miss is the Sidewinder Strategic Commander. MechWarrior 2 was amazing with that thing - torso twisting like a boss. There's a driver available that does work with windows 7/10 so I can break it out - but something updated and with official drivers would be nice.

One of the best workplace mouses for sure. Not enough features for a gaming mouse these days though.

The only thing I've never complained about with Microsoft are the hardware purchases. The mouse and the Precision Pro joystick have been amazingly durable and work after 15+ years of punishment (which is unheard of with joysticks).

Microsoft did mouses (?) right. Always been a fan, even my current MS wireless mouse/KB combo still serves me well.

What I do miss are easy bus sampling rate adjustments like the good old days. These days it takes some fiddling in the OS innards.

Now they need to bring back an updated Trackball Explorer.

This, the Microsoft Trackball Explorer was the best trackball made, but it didn't sell well because people purchased the Microsoft Trackball Optical instead, because it was cheaper and looked more like a mouse. When Microsoft discontinued them at least one distributor dumped their remaining stock on Ebay at half price, resulted in a lot of people buying them and discovering how good they were. Now your lucky if you can find one in good condition for less than three times what they were retail.

Back