Microsoft Quietly Cuts Off Windows 7 Support for Older Intel Computers

I've been using Windows for around 30 years now. Windows 7 might be the apotheosis of Windows. It was essentially a "pure" desktop OS that evolved over 20 years before the rise of mobile, cloud and AI. We're simply in a different time. A "true" successor to Windows 7 appeals to some folks in places like this but is it really anything that would fly off shelves these days? Probably not. There's a lot of resistance to wildly popular technologies in places like this. And there are legitimate reasons for some of the criticisms but nonetheless, still fucking wildly popular. How the hell in 2018 do you promote a "pure" desktop OS? What the hell would that even mean to many folks that live on their phones?

Windows 7 was great for what it was. I've been using Windows 10 daily on all of my PCs for three years now. I hear all of the issues and horror stories and that's not good. I personally haven't had any more problem with Windows 10 than Windows 7 or 8.x. As much as people will bash Windows 10, what the hell else is there for me to use? Windows 10 works with fucking everything I need for work and play across multiple devices. Windows 7 would be pointless on something like a convertible Surface Book 2 with a high DPI screen. I use a lot of Microsoft Store apps, watch a lot of 4k Netflix with 5.1 surround. Again I get it if Windows 10 doesn't work for you or your situation. There's nothing that can replace it personally, we're moving to it aggressively at work.

For something that some bash as hard as Windows 10 and has hard as I've looked into alternatives, there's just no where else to go in my situation. There's just isn't.
Even Microsoft's PR post can't sell Win 10.
The abysmal adoption rate and market cut, with all the aggressive, trojan like, pushing down people's throats, answers all your questions.

Win 7??? What OS is that? It was released 9 years ago, 2012 I switched to Win 8, then 2013 Win 8.1, 2015 Win 10 and all their forgettable charitable updates. About time Win 7 hit the graves.

You are a minority.

Even the naysayers that cry about Windows 10 for years end up switching sooner or later and wishing they did. Windows 7 is very old. It will not be supported forever, and being mad when support is cancelled is not justified in the least.
I fucking hate windows 10. Every which way it is different to 7 it is worse for. I had no choice, I was forced to upgrade, I didn't fucking need it, I didn't want it, I wish I could go back to 7, but I can't without major imposed sacrifices.
It's not the same as it was earlier that the new version was always frowned upon by a few people.
Yes we cried when we shifted from 98 to XP, but we got used to XP and learned to like it, and learned that the differences are for the better.
Yes we cried when we went from XP to 7, (sane people skipped vista) but we gotten used to it, and learned that it's not worse just a bit different

And yes we cry about switching from 7 to 10 (again sane people skipped 8) , but this time it is different. I've been on 10 for over 2 years, and there is no getting used to this. It still feels worse and it is getting worse with every damned "creators" bullshit upgrade.
You can get used to 10 as much as you can get used to continued torture. It is not liked, it is tolerated, for the sake of getting security updates and for the sake of having access to DX12, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm sick and tired of hearing the same shit leveraged over and over about people being pissed of at previous changes as well. Because it is simply not true, the people annoyed were far less in numbers and the issues were minor at best, and mostly personal quirks.

10 is objectively worse, with it's forced updates, built in advertisement, data collection, truncated settings / control panel issues, heavily curtailed user control over every aspect. I mean I fucking had to resort to a registry hack to change the color of the title bar on app windows!

And don't get me started on trying to force metro apps on desktop users at every corner. Skype will annoy me at almost every start to upgrade to the "better" version from the store. Eventually it won't be just an annoying message, but it will simply be replaced without my consent. LIke the comupter is restarted every now and then without my consent.
Microsoft doesn't care about the several days long render I was running. Even in the damned professional version forced restarts simply cannot be avoided.

Last edited:
You are a minority.

Even the naysayers that cry about Windows 10 for years end up switching sooner or later and wishing they did. Windows 7 is very old. It will not be supported forever, and being mad when support is cancelled is not justified in the least.

Yup.
I remember the SAME bollocks with the following Windows versions:

- Windows 3.11...same crying after the release of Windows 95
- Windows 98...same crying after the release of Windows 2000
- Windows 2000...same crying afterthe release of Windows XP
- Windows XP...same crying after the release of Windows Vista.
- Windows Vista...same crying after the release of Windows 7.
- And now...Windows 7 crying after the release of Windows 8/8.1/10

It will be the same after the NEXT windows comes out...some people have a hard time accpeting change, stuck in their olds ways....I just ignore the whiners now...it's their headache running outdated software.

I didn't hear anyone crying when Microsoft released Windows 7 as the successor to Vista. There was plenty of crying when Microsoft released Windows 8/8.1 as the successor to Windows 7, with good reason.

There won't be a next Windows according to Microsoft.

I didn't hear anyone crying when Microsoft released Windows 7 as the successor to Vista. There was plenty of crying when Microsoft released Windows 8/8.1 as the successor to Windows 7, with good reason.

There won't be a next Windows according to Microsoft.

I agree on a few points here. Windows 7 was widely loved, because the Vista hate was incredible. Also, Windows 8 was a terrible release that wasn't really fixed until 8.1.

A lot of you are missing the point with this...

"herp derp windows7 is old"
"herp derp that is old hardware"

Not the point... the hardware is not microsofts, the OS was made available for said hardware and not retrospectively MS are changing conditions. How can this be defended... If they didn't/couldn't support till 2020 they should not have stated that date...

Not the point... the hardware is not microsofts, the OS was made available for said hardware and not retrospectively MS are changing conditions. How can this be defended... If they didn't/couldn't support till 2020 they should not have stated that date...

I have an upgrade for people running +20 year old hardware
Windows-Abacus-3294.jpg

I primarily use Linux at home. I run it as my primary OS and dual boot to Windows 10 only for games.

I'll be the first to admit - however - that there are tradeoffs.

Gaming is still way behind on Linux. Most titles are never supported and those that are usually perform much worse.

Also, program support is iffy. Office, Photoshop, etc. Many of these software packages don't exist on Linux. There are work-a-likes (like Gimp, and LibreOffice) but they don't have the full functionality of the latest versions on Windows. Croasover Office does allow you to run the windows version of office - however - which can be nice.

The OS itself however is such a relief to use compared to windows. Nothing forced, few things preinstalled, and those can always be uninstalled if desired. Essentially everything I hate about Windows is absent in all distributions of Linux I have tried. I guess this is what happens when you have an open source community of users developing it, rather than a for profit company with its own incentives, that may not align with yours.

It's really a shame that Valve wasn't successful in pushing the games industry to embrace Linux, because if they had it could really have triggered a golden era of desktop Linux, allowing us to ditch Microsoft once and for all.

Linux really is technically superior in just about every way, just starved for application support because Microsoft is the defacto standard OS everyone uses.
Hoping that Linux gets software ported over is never going to work, but running those applications through Wine will work, and if enough people use an application on Linux then companies might be compelled to port them over. Wine right now is a buggy mess, and slow. But lately Wine is getting a lot of attention from all kinds of sources. So much so that I wouldn't be surprised if within a year or two that running Windows apps on Linux is not only good but better than on Windows. But yea, right now Linux doesn't have the software.

Hoping that Linux gets software ported over is never going to work, but running those applications through Wine will work, and if enough people use an application on Linux then companies might be compelled to port them over. Wine right now is a buggy mess, and slow. But lately Wine is getting a lot of attention from all kinds of sources. So much so that I wouldn't be surprised if within a year or two that running Windows apps on Linux is not only good but better than on Windows. But yea, right now Linux doesn't have the software.

I have heard Linux will kill of Windows on desktop for as long as I can remember...not going to happen.

This isn't going to happen - there is big money in big data, and data collection is at the heart of that market.
Windows 10 actually is an exceptionally high performing OS, and while I can say I don't agree with the inability to properly turn off all data telemetry and collection processes, for enterprise and even many portable computing market segments, it is unbeatable.

Also, the uncontrollable feature updates which add and remove OS functionality at Microsoft's whim is very annoying, but Android and iOS are really no different in this area; use GNU/Linux or BSD if you want to get away from this.
Windows 7 is extremely long in the tooth, and while it will be missed, the legacy problems it presented won't be.

It's just the era we live in now, and if you want to change this, vote with your wallet and use the plethora of options available to you. :cool:

And what legacy problems did windows 7 present? I will grant you, you can boot faster in 10 and there's a very slightly improved security model.

However I hate how I now have to dig for every bloody f'ing thing. The interface is still a pain in the _#-# carryover from trying to get an Android/ios like experience. It's a computer. Its not a thumb device.

If I want to see the old control panel it's a pain in the tail. If I want admin tools I have to hunt for it. Don't even get me started on iis administration. It took 30 minutes to Google it and understand how to hunt it down and enable it and then edit it.

And I hate how they randomly change my data telemetry options or randomly add or remove programs. And I miss movie Maker.

And what legacy problems did windows 7 present? I will grant you, you can boot faster in 10 and there's a very slightly improved security model.

However I hate how I now have to dig for every bloody f'ing thing. If I want to see the old control panel it's a pain in the tail. If I want admin tools I have to hunt for it. Don't even get me started on iis.

And I hate how they randomly change my data telemetry options or randomly add or remove programs. And I miss movie Maker.

You don't sound very good at IT...if those are your problems....infact you sound like you have no clue about IT.
Sounds more like you are creating problems...just in spite.

Yup.

It will be the same after the NEXT windows comes out...some people have a hard time accpeting change, stuck in their olds ways....I just ignore the whiners now...it's their headache running outdated software.

Adoption rate says everything and this is with Microsoft ramming forced upgrades down windows 7 users. I logged into my wife's laptop and said "I told this thing not to update to 10" and it bloody fucking did it anyway.

Windows 10 isn't near the failure of 8. But 10 is a failure just the same. It's just less a failure. When you compare it to 8 it's success. But against 7 with adoption rates and you see how bad the situation is for MS

Microsoft promised ten years of support when they released Windows 7 back in October, 2009. That's five years of mainstream support and five years of extended support. To put this in context....
  • Do you know what also got released in October, 2009? Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala), and support ended for that version of Linux in April 2011, although you could upgrade the Linux to a later version.
  • Guess what also got released in August, 2009? That would be Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. It is currently unsupported as of February 25, 2014.
  • Web browsers? Firefox 3.5 was released in June, 2009. Google Chrome 3 was released in October, 2009.
  • Should I throw in World of Warcraft? Patch 3.2.2 was released in September, 2009. Aren't we up to patch 7.2.5 by now?
  • Don't even say anything about the iOS or Android mobile operating systems.
But, please, tell us, once again, why Windows 7 isn't "long in the tooth".

It's successor's are almost identical to it, so if Windows 7 is long in the tooth, then so are Windows 8 and 10. Ultimately, Windows 7's age isn't notable for this discussion, because Windows 7 still represents high modernity.

Adoption rate says everything and this is with Microsoft ramming forced upgrades down windows 7 users. I logged into my wife's laptop and said "I told this thing not to update to 10" and it bloody fucking did it anyway.

Windows 10 isn't near the failure of 8. But 10 is a failure just the same. It's just less a failure. When you compare it to 8 it's success. But against 7 with adoption rates and you see how bad the situation is for MS

I am still stumped at how you have problems finding the control panel in Windows 10....

Yup.

These silly made-up arguments do more to highlight how insincere and non-credible the position of those making them is, than they do anything else. And you should know that just putting together a list and presenting it doesn't actually alter reality to make it conform to your list.

The only other Windows for which there was notable complaint over the transition was Windows XP, and that was for entirely different and more basic reasons (confusion, hardware, drivers) than the complaints that we have regarding the transition from Windows 7 -> 10 (functionality, control, privacy, data-mining, reliability). Before Windows 10, there also wasn't any comparable pressure to install the newer Windows.

Last edited:
These silly made-up arguments do more to highlight how insincere and non-credible the position of those making them is, than they do anything else. And you should know that just putting together a list and presenting it doesn't actually alter reality to make it conform to your list.

The only other Windows for which there was notable complaint over the transition was Windows XP, and that was for entirely different and a lot more practical reasons (confusion, hardware, drivers) than the complaints that we have regarding the transition from Windows 7 -> 10 (functionality, control, privacy, data-mining, reliability). Before Windows 10, there also wasn't any comparable pressure to install the newer Windows.

You must not have been around those times...but like I said.....I now ignore those muppets...and I am not the only one that remember the outcries:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-your-opinion-about-all-Windows-versions-starting-with-Windows-95

I have a feeling that is the same >1% that whine every time...some people don't handle change apparently.

You must not have been around those times...but like I said.....I now ignore those muppets...and I am not the only one that remember the outcries:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-your-opinion-about-all-Windows-versions-starting-with-Windows-95

Backing up one made-up argument with another, I see.

I upgraded with each of those OSes starting with Windows 3.1, while skipping Windows ME. So, I think it's you who must not have been around during the times of earlier Windows OSes. Otherwise, you wouldn't suggest that people complained about transitioning from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (although, Vista was a much better OS than it is commonly recognized as being), or that people complained about going from 3.1 to 95 (95 opened up a whole new realm of possibilities and adoption), or generally along the 95 -> 2000 path.

Like I said, and as your link shows, only the transition from XP to Vista received notable flak. Most nobody used Windows ME, and the flak it received was due to excessive bugs - which makes the criticism it received justified.

Your link instead supports what I said. I mean, it's opening sentence is:

"Compared to any of the later versions, Windows 95 was crap. Absolute garbage."

Which is saying that Windows 95 was an improvement over 3.1, yet every post-95 Windows OS was better than 95 - which means Windows was getting better each release, and isn't an example of people complaining over each successive Windows release.

I guess that I mentally blocked out Windows 8 from the transition history. But that certainly wasn't a case of 1% complaining. It was a case of 80%+ complaining, and for good reason. Today, Windows 8 / 8.1 commands around 4.5% of the gaming market share, according to Steam's hardware survey, while Windows 7 has 35% of the gaming market share.

Last edited:

It all boils down to money. It would literally bankrupt Microsoft to fix the security flaws on those older systems. What would it cost them, $250k at the most?
That's 25 mid-level manager bonuses that they would have to pinch, scrape and save to come up with.

I'm not defending their stance, for the record I am a #Never10'er.

Microsoft dropping all the W10 bloat and going back to the drawing board to engineer a proper successor to 7 can't come soon enough.

from what i understand, win10 is the last version of windows. everything from here on out will just be an update to the windows platform/service. kinda how we got Windows 10 "creators update"

it's just MS copying how mac does it. every os apple has released in the past (idk how many) years are all just "platform" updates to OS X.

that's why they skipped Windows 9 nomenclature. This is basically "Windows X".

from what i understand, win10 is the last version of windows. everything from here on out will just be an update to the windows platform/service. kinda how we got Windows 10 "creators update"

it's just MS copying how mac does it. every os apple has released in the past (idk how many) years are all just "platform" updates to OS X.

that's why they skipped Windows 9 nomenclature. This is basically "Windows X".

I didn't read your reply because I didn't make that statement.

Microsoft promised ten years of support when they released Windows 7 back in October, 2009. That's five years of mainstream support and five years of extended support. To put this in context....
  • Do you know what also got released in October, 2009? Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala), and support ended for that version of Linux in April 2011, although you could upgrade the Linux to a later version.
  • Guess what also got released in August, 2009? That would be Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. It is currently unsupported as of February 25, 2014.
  • Web browsers? Firefox 3.5 was released in June, 2009. Google Chrome 3 was released in October, 2009.
  • Should I throw in World of Warcraft? Patch 3.2.2 was released in September, 2009. Aren't we up to patch 7.2.5 by now?

Because it is the best version of windows ever made and NOBODY asked for anything else. the only reason win10 got the acceptance is because it's a hell of lot better than the Windows 8 tablet bullsh*t which was coming pre-installed on new computers and it WAS free. I believe if MS didn't stop allowing windows 7 to be installed on new computers and people had the choice they would have went w/ win7 everytime.

Why fix something that isn't broke? i don't get it.

I've been on Windows 10 since I built my son rig in January (it has a 1600/x370 then but the rest is accurate) and I can honestly say it is one of my favorite systems I've ever owned. The system is super fast, working desktop in 3 seconds after post and everything "just works".

I am a big hobby miner (hate it or love it) and I am unique in that I use all AMD Cards. I've had 3 standalone rigs with Windows 7, and with large pages enabled every one of the would go down in Performance or outright error after running for a few days.

Windows 10 doesn't have this issue. I run 3 VEGAS loaded 24/7 alone with my cpu minijg Cryptonight and Windows does a wonderful job managing the load so I never know it. The system just works. Moving to 10 has saved me at least a few dozen hours and more importantly made me a bunch more money.

This all being said, I am kind of tired of the forced updates, even when I tell it to not update (running Windows 10 Pro) and removing all the Cortana bloat (and Xbox crap) made my Windows key no longer work. That is my only honest complaint.

Windows 7 is still usable with an Athlon XP if you have a decent video card with 2-3GB of ram. Windows 7 is the last one to be able to run on non SSE2 cpus i think. I got the latest Linux Mint to work with an Athlon XP system and it seems to work just fine. You just need to install custom build version of the Pale Moon browser that doesn't include SSE2 which is on their forums. This allows you to use the latest Firefox engine based browser with older hardware. If you try to install the latest browsers most require SSE2 since visual studio by default now uses SSE2 or higher by now. The speeds with Linux is actually alright and decent. Youtube runs ok. A system like this would be ok for just basic usage for someone that doesn't do much mostly.

Yup.

LOL, Epic fail on your part posting this just after I explained why this is a completely false equivalence.

Your opinion is great and all, but it's just an opinion. A wrong one at that.

oh come on that list is complete bullshit.

who was upset that windows 95 existed or any of the other OS's before xp?

no one cried when windows 7 came along almost all people were happy to switch

xp to vista was a fucking disaster ME was a mess and now windows 10 because of it's intrusive nature is hated because who knew privacy was such a hot button issue?

In many facets, on the same hardware, Windows 7 is still faster than Windows 10. I don't think they're the majority at all. Hundreds of Millions of computers were forcefully upgraded to Windows 10.

You are a minority.

I'm placing the usable lifetime of a computer in between five years and ten years.
THIS!!!
A "true" successor to Windows 7 appeals to some folks in places like this but is it really anything that would fly off shelves these days? Probably not.
Again... THIS!!!
You literally hit the nail on the head with that - it just wouldn't be profitable.
Desktops and laptops are not the only options any more, and Microsoft has finally seen the writing on the wall with these other market segments.
Because people don't want to be sitting at a desk, they want to be mobile. They want devices that can be both a notebook and a desktop, a two-in-one to use marketing speak. Windows 7 would never support that.

And as far as not supporting older processors that don't have SSE2 they're more than likely also vulnerable to both Spectre and Meltdown so the faster you can get rid of those older chips that won't get microcode updates the better and more secure you will be. SSE2 made a lot of things faster by introducing more complex instruction sets to do things in less clock cycles.

Just like Intel will not keep supporting old stuff, Microsoft will too. And have you seen the performance of those old systems? Seriously, I would have thrown the thing out the window if I had to wait for a program to load as long as those old systems took. If a program isn't launched within two seconds on my system I get frustrated. That's one reason why I will never run a system with a hard drive; my system drive better be an SSD.

I have heard Linux will kill of Windows on desktop for as long as I can remember...not going to happen.
Microsoft will do more towards Linux adoption than Linux itself. I just reinstalled Windows 10 on my gaming PC and usually I just the express button cause I figure that's for setting up the networking adapter, but nope it's a bunch of privacy stuff and one of which is to use my PC to upload Windows updates to other users. What new shit am I finding that makes me hate Windows 10 more? My PC is not to be used as a make shift NAS for Microsoft. You don't see this shit with Linux.

The reason I reinstalled was cause I upgraded from a FX 8350 to a Ryzen 1700, and while the motherboard swap did get the PC to turn on, I had a number of issues with Event Viewer and permissions. Plus my installation is so old that it was an upgraded Windows 7 to 10. But on Linux I can swap an installation just fine without much issue. I had to reactivate Windows 10 before I decided to just reinstall.

Even Microsoft fears linux as they've been bolting on Linux features to Windows 10. That and suddenly Microsoft is very comfortable with open source suddenly.

Microsoft will do more towards Linux adoption than Linux itself. I just reinstalled Windows 10 on my gaming PC and usually I just the express button cause I figure that's for setting up the networking adapter, but nope it's a bunch of privacy stuff and one of which is to use my PC to upload Windows updates to other users. What new shit am I finding that makes me hate Windows 10 more? My PC is not to be used as a make shift NAS for Microsoft. You don't see this shit with Linux.

The reason I reinstalled was cause I upgraded from a FX 8350 to a Ryzen 1700, and while the motherboard swap did get the PC to turn on, I had a number of issues with Event Viewer and permissions. Plus my installation is so old that it was an upgraded Windows 7 to 10. But on Linux I can swap an installation just fine without much issue. I had to reactivate Windows 10 before I decided to just reinstall.

Even Microsoft fears linux as they've been bolting on Linux features to Windows 10. That and suddenly Microsoft is very comfortable with open source suddenly.

Microsoft has always adopted ideas from other OS's and programs. Any good program will do that to keep relevant.

I have 8 systems in my house and one runs Windows 7, main PC runs Windows 10 and the remainder run Linux. So I am far from a MS shill, I just feel they take a shit ton of flak for stupid things.

I like how all the different versions of Windows keep getting brought up, and yet no one dares mention WinME or WinNT. Like they're some deep dark secrets that everyone knows but nobody dares to mention. Just put the carpet back over the loose floorboard and ignore the creepy noises. Hahaha.

Jokes aside, not a fan of Windows 10. I use it at work and things that were simple under 7, are now tedious in 10.

Also not a fan of the data collection. As it's been stated before, yes there's ways to block it out, but it comes at the expense of breaking stuff that should work without having to phone home. Also not a fan that the Enterprise edition is sounding like it's the only way you'll have realistic control over that, either. Information is the new gold mine, and any data, no matter how seemingly irrelevant, is just waiting to be converted into money for those who understand how to sell or use that data.

Ugh wine. I hate wine. It's the most unintuitive garbage to set up and it's install scripts are convoluted and place packages all over the place. At least that was the case years ago when I last played around with it. I hated it so much that I haven't even looked at it in years

Your opinion is great and all, but it's just an opinion. A wrong one at that.
An opinion can't be wrong by definition. So another epic fail for your side.

An opinion can be ill informed, but it would still be technically correct based on the facts available to me. If you wish to prove me wrong you'd do best to argue against the facts I presented. But since you can't refute those, all you can do is this weak assertion without any backing argument, let alone facts.

If you have to ask...you probably don't appreciate old world craftsmanship or timeless hand tools that used to last for generations. An OS is just a tool. A desktop tool. Not a tech fashion object.

And WTH is wrong with long teeth? Sharks have long teeth. And they haven't been updated in millions of years.

Ugh wine. I hate wine. It's the most unintuitive garbage to set up and it's install scripts are convoluted and place packages all over the place. At least that was the case years ago when I last played around with it. I hated it so much that I haven't even looked at it in years

WINE has come leaps and bounds in just the last year. It used to be confusing to use, like NDISwrapper (which still is) but no longer.

I suggest you give it a go, you'll be surprised.

I like how all the different versions of Windows keep getting brought up, and yet no one dares mention WinME or WinNT. Like they're some deep dark secrets that everyone knows but nobody dares to mention. Just put the carpet back over the loose floorboard and ignore the creepy noises. Hahaha.

Jokes aside, not a fan of Windows 10. I use it at work and things that were simple under 7, are now tedious in 10.

Also not a fan of the data collection. As it's been stated before, yes there's ways to block it out, but it comes at the expense of breaking stuff that should work without having to phone home. Also not a fan that the Enterprise edition is sounding like it's the only way you'll have realistic control over that, either. Information is the new gold mine, and any data, no matter how seemingly irrelevant, is just waiting to be converted into money for those who understand how to sell or use that data.

Or Windows 98, non-SE.

I have only had to experience using Windows ME three times and a handful of repairs for family, AND when I mention it's existence to people I work with them don't even remember it, so I get the feeling it was a small hold over between 98SE and XP, I just don't recall the timeline.

I love Windows 98. Still using it on my retropc. Right where it belongs, not on newer hardware 20 years later as people here feel Windows 7 should be able to do.

Back