Microsoft Pushes Out IE 10 Preview Build

Cool stuff. Hmm, seems like the browser is turning into another application platform. Look at that, Webkit based browsers require different markup... So much for standards.

Wow IE10 already!

Seems like MS is finally taking browsers seriously. (hopefully they will be allowed to continue making advances)

Still no option to separate out search and URL box. Thanks but no thanks.
I don't see the point of having 2. I never used the one in FF after the URL box performed searches and never missed it using IE or Chrome/Iron.

Is it just one of those things, like someone sticking with Netscape 6.0?

Nice to see they are working on a better development schedule instead of the release then patch security or stability issues wait 2+ years and release another edition.

I'm not sure why youd want to do that, as it takes up twice the space, and you don't gain any functions. But if you want a dedicated searchbar, install the google toolbar?

The separate search box is convenient but not really needed. Unless you're extremely lazy which wouldn't be surprising by today's standards. I only use that box like once a month which is set on Wikipedia.

I like how they don't run Firefox 4 for the fish bowl test - knowing full well it will do just as good if not better because it too has full D2D Hardware Acceleration.

Stay classy Microsoft. I love your OS. I hate your browser.

+1. I hate the combined search bar. Shit sucks for everything. I use the Firefox URL bar for it's "I'm feeling Lucky" capabilities. All I have to do is type in "HardOCP" and it will automatically take me right to this website. No stupid searches required.

Meanwhile I modified my about:config in Firefox so any search that I do in the actual search box, appears in a new tab. Having that functionality in the main URL bar would piss me off to no end.

+1. I hate the combined search bar. Shit sucks for everything. I use the Firefox URL bar for it's "I'm feeling Lucky" capabilities. All I have to do is type in "HardOCP" and it will automatically take me right to this website. No stupid searches required.

Meanwhile I modified my about:config in Firefox so any search that I do in the actual search box, appears in a new tab. Having that functionality in the main URL bar would piss me off to no end.

Yeah because Ctrl-Enter hasnt been around for years...

The reason having the search bar and address bar as one sucks is companies like mine where we have DNS entries on the server to direct to certain services on the intranet. If I type "cm" in the address par and hit enter it takes me to our Cisco Unified Communications Manager web interface. this feature doesn't work with search in the address bar. With the search feature turned off it works just fine but now I don't have a search bar.

Cool stuff. Hmm, seems like the browser is turning into another application platform. Look at that, Webkit based browsers require different markup... So much for standards.
Probably webkit implements an earlier draft of the standard. IE eschews draft standards for a reason.

The seperate search box is about privacy.

Does Google need to know every single website you visit? Do you like auto complete suggestions when you search?

If you answered no and yes, you need to keep your search and URL boxes separate.

I'm just glad someone is taking fish rendering seriously. It's something we've desperately needed for years now — fast fish rendering right in the browser — and Microsoft is really stepping up to the plate with Internet Explorer.

The reason having the search bar and address bar as one sucks is companies like mine where we have DNS entries on the server to direct to certain services on the intranet. If I type "cm" in the address par and hit enter it takes me to our Cisco Unified Communications Manager web interface. this feature doesn't work with search in the address bar. With the search feature turned off it works just fine but now I don't have a search bar.

Exactly. Or, if you have a Comcast-provided cable modem, and their DNS redirects you to a Comcast-branded search page, and tells you that what you are searching for: "page cannot be found". GOD I HATE THAT!! That's why I use separate Search and URL boxes.

I'm just glad someone is taking fish rendering seriously. It's something we've desperately needed for years now — fast fish rendering right in the browser — and Microsoft is really stepping up to the plate with Internet Explorer.

Me too! But it will probably take Apple with Safari to accelerate the tarter sauce.

in IE9 searching is very easy. type in a url you get a site. type ? then whatever and it searches, or click the magnifying glass. i like only 1 bar instead of 2

Back