Microsoft Pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update after Reports of Mass File Deletion

I need Windows for gaming and nothing else. I do not care about the OS because I honestly do not use it. I do not use Microsoft browsers or any of their apps.

Windows 7 UI, 64 bit, with updated core, as in Direct X 12 and anything that improves security or over all OS improvements. Allow the ability to shut off telemetry and updates if desired. No ad's anywhere.

No more feature updates, put any new feature in the store and let the user choose. Just patch the OS security and let the user do the rest.

I would pay money for that.

Last edited:
"Fortunately the problem was caught out by the consumers doing the beta testing before bigger roll out"

Why is this a major problem, it's so easy to fix.

Windows Update, under no circumstance, shall have access to read or write anything in the users directory. No permissions shall be given, from this day forth, to this process and it's dependencies.

The End.
You seem to forget that Microsoft owns your computer if you run Windows. There is no part they can't access and data harvest.

I need Windows for gaming and nothing else. I do not care about the OS because I honestly do not use it. I do not use Microsoft browsers or any of their apps.

Windows 7 UI, 64 bit, with updated core, as in Direct X 12 and anything that improves security or over all OS improvements.
You do use the OS B00nie, Windows is the OS. The OS improvements are updates to the OS.

I agree with you about all the apps (pre-loaded crap) such as Minecraft, Candy Crush, Edge browser they are all useless apps that should be user selectable and installable options. Windows is an OS and Microsoft have lost their way with this idea and would do themselves good to return to this flavour of OS.

Windows 7 UI, 64 bit, with updated core, as in Direct X 12 and anything that improves security or over all OS improvements. Allow the ability to shut off telemetry and updates if desired. No ad's anywhere.

No more feature updates, put any new feature in the store and let the user choose. Just patch the OS security and let the user do the rest.

I would pay money for that.

$499 one time payment for 10 years of security only updates and no new features. An extra $199 for the ability to install the latest direct x and gaming features over the next 10 years. Seem fair to you?

You seem to forget that Microsoft owns your computer if you run Windows. There is no part they can't access and data harvest.
I'm not sure I forget this, but how does their ownership and harvesting of my data work if their updates end up deleting that data? Their telemetry and 'data harvesting' can access my files, but why should the windows update service have anything to do with the users directory?

I'm not sure I forget this, but how does their ownership and harvesting of my data work if their updates end up deleting that data? Their telemetry and 'data harvesting' can access my files, but why should the windows update service have anything to do with the users directory?
Your files were not actually "deleted". Instead they were uploaded to the cloud for further study and analysis to improve future versions of Windows and refine Redmonds ability to market users of its operating system. o_O

Just because they can. For example they have taken the liberty of removing files they deem illegal from your computer. So they have no intention to leave your user folders untouched.

I've already significantly streamlined my workflow since the first video. So, I'm optimistic about getting it out sooner this time ;P

I'm more working smarter than harder/faster ;D

Work harder, Work faster {WINK}

Microsoft's new motto "backup, or else"

Funny as I have never had anything deleted or moved or modified by Microsoft, regardless if illegal or not so I really don't know what people have done or are doing to have these issues if they really exist at all.

Your files were not actually "deleted". Instead they were uploaded to the cloud for further study and analysis to improve future versions of Windows and refine Redmonds ability to market users of its operating system. o_O

Hmmm, if you say so. :D On a different note, Linux Desktop is not solid on the basics, as a VPN connection has issues even as a basic setup. (Newest version of Ubuntu, no less.) Windows 10 has the basics down pat and consistent, but if this is an actual issue, and it is appearing to be so, that is a real screw up and they need to fix it quickly.

and all I keep seeing is "yer but, yer but linux can't do X"
Do you know what else linux doesn't do ... FSCKING delete user data in a routine update because there is a damn QA associated with each damn release

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Do you know what else linux doesn't do ... FSCKING delete user data in a routine update because there is a damn QA associated with each damn release
Neither does Windows delete user data

LOL! Yeah, well..... :D It is 2018, I should be able to set up a vpn, connect to it, disconnect from it and still be able to get online with Ubuntu Linux. However, it does not work and that is a very basic thing. :) Also, most of the solutions did not fix it. :(

oh?!
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/10/zfs_on_linux_data_loss_fixed/
nm it looks lost. which is sorta whats happening here. some say they have lost files some say it was just moved. still think we need official word/cause.
Show me a distro that defaults to ZFS and equally one that was using that just released version in that 4days till the patch was ready.
ZFS is an out of kernel solution due to licensing issues...

More to the point, show me a report within FOSS of a comparable severity that was JUST IGNORED. This just shows that the FOSS community QA is orders of magnitude better than MS could even dream of

Last edited:
Microsoft has been at it for so long and the expression running with scissors comes to mind, you can tell your kid never to run with scissors and eventually they will listen but with Microsoft it seems only an encouragement for them to do it.
Ignoring people that told you so. repeatedly .

Such a shame that people do not understand that if you are running any program that is being marketed as an upgrade is suddenly considered as a tool to make people use backup instead. Because that is what it is coming to install MS upgrades then you need to backup everything just to be safe.

Why do an upgrade in the first place if MS is willing to move the goalposts why should you not do the same and just call it a format and reinstall that way what is there to delete. Which brings me back to running with scissors , just stop doing that. Makes a lot more sense to me...

Hmmm, if you say so. :D On a different note, Linux Desktop is not solid on the basics, as a VPN connection has issues even as a basic setup. (Newest version of Ubuntu, no less.) Windows 10 has the basics down pat and consistent, but if this is an actual issue, and it is appearing to be so, that is a real screw up and they need to fix it quickly.

What does your ventures into Linux networking have to do with Microcrap deleting peoples user data during a forced upgrade. (ok I get they stopped this one just short of massive forced upgrade... but I feel for the insider program dorks.) Not that its on topic but yes I'm sure the most widely networked OS in the world must suck at it. I have no idea what it is you have done or not done as the case may be with your ubuntu VPN setup but if you actually attempt to learn how it works I'm sure you'll figure it out. I can tell you for sure nothing there will for no reason decide to delete any of your data. ;)

What does your ventures into Linux networking have to do with Microcrap deleting peoples user data during a forced upgrade. (ok I get they stopped this one just short of massive forced upgrade... but I feel for the insider program dorks.) Not that its on topic but yes I'm sure the most widely networked OS in the world must suck at it. I have no idea what it is you have done or not done as the case may be with your ubuntu VPN setup but if you actually attempt to learn how it works I'm sure you'll figure it out. I can tell you for sure nothing there will for no reason decide to delete any of your data. ;)
Exactly, I have never had my user data deleted whenever I have setup VPN or used VPN.
Equally setup and usage has been quite trivial.

Still failing to see how Linux VPN is related to Microsoft being idiots with Windows users data UNLESS Microsoft now use Linux under the hood of windows10

Sounds like the usual distractionary crap from the usual suspect trying to change the topic away from what is important and that is Microsoft's inability to QA, manage problem reports, not fuck up

Manually updated this weekend.
No problems, no missing files.

But nice to se the "usual" crowd" show it's face...the WAY to loud linux-minority...or the "I refuse to upgrade to the latest OS!".

Have a nice day :)

isn't 10 the one that everyone went to because it was more secure?
this is being secure, if you have nothing you are secure.

They just need to raise the price and start a new campaign to show people why windows 7 would not do this and what they are missing out on.

Microsoft has been displaying an absolute shit show in regards to patches, Windows 10, etc.. this year.. Is this the new direction of Microsoft?

Microsoft doesn't give one F about you or your data.
They have a monopoly and they can do whatever they want.
IF all games were on linux MS would be dead for home users.

My Mom is not an enthusiast and she was forced to upgrade last week. Not buying this caught before mass rollout.

Four words, "End user license agreement".

No EULA is capable of negating people's right to sue a publisher for damages. EULA's aren't laws and don't particularly hold any authority beyond the same that's held by a copyright symbol that's found on the physical packaging for a mass-produced good. Software is also a mass-produced good, and the rights of the purchaser and the seller are already defined in bartering, contract, consumer, and property laws.

EULAs are basically just a practice in psychological propaganda meant to intimidate customers into thinking they have no rights or power in order to ward off potential challenges before they happen - when, in reality, purchasers of software have as much rights, ownership, and lawful authority over their software as they do over their store-bought physical goods.

There's lots of information on that in this post: You own the software that you purchase, and any claims otherwise are urban myth or corporate propaganda

EULAs, as a rule, are filled with made-up, non lawful claims that have never held any legal legitimacy, and which could never be defended in court, including anything resembling the following:

may not reverse-engineer this software
license is non-transferable
you waive your right to sue the publisher

And many others. All of those have no force or effect, as they contradict actual laws. They're just in EULAs to fake-out purchasers of software.

When you buy software, you become the sole owner of that software (per top court rulings in the EU, the USA, and Australia), just as you become the owner of a power tool that you buy from a hardware store. And just as you could sue the manufacturer of a power tool if it was defective in a way that caused harm to your person, so can you also sue software companies if their software causes you undue tangible and provable damages. And people already have sued Microsoft for loss-of-file damages.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meeho
like this
Here's some additional information about agreements claiming to absolve one party's liability:

https://www.frickey.com/need-know-liability-waivers/

https://www.frickey.com/denver-personal-injury-lawyers/products-liability-lawyer/

Enforceability of liability waivers varies in the US from state to state. But, in general, liability waivers can absolve a company of your personal negligence and actions, and from reasonable equipment failure, but not from design and manufacturing defects that cause harm - such as an update that Microsoft decides to push out that deletes people's personal data.

Last edited:
Back